Fourth

Cut Your Teeth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jennie awakens to bright lights burning red beneath her eyelids.

 

Her clothes are dry, but she’s in a strange bed. Her eyes adjust to the room.

 

White walls, the beeping of monitors, a PA system faintly in the background.

 

A hospital.

 

Yes, she's been here before.

 

“And she's up!” A voice announces comically. Deep, friendly, smooth… Taehyung.

 

“Officer Kim, what happened?” She greets in confused relief. “Was I stabbed?”

 

His forehead wrinkles as he lets out a long exhale.

 

“No, you weren't stabbed.” He grinds out, fingers clenched onto the railing of her bed. “But the man who assaulted you is in custody.”

 

Assaulted?

 

Jennie blinks.

 

She remembers it now. The rain, the car, the umbrella.

 

The man in the blood stained suit.

 

“I wasn't assaulted by anyone.” She sits upright in bed, her head spinning at the sudden motion. Her eyes dart to her bandaged arm, she wasn’t on an IV anymore but she must have been. She remembers the strange ache. “I… fell.”

 

Taehyung looks at her incredulously.

 

“You fell?” he his hairless chin thoughtfully. “Well, it’s not unbelievable.”

 

She narrows her eyes. Her features soften as she recalls his words.

 

“You really arrested him?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“You have to let him go, he didn't do anything.”

 

“Jen, he was covered in blood.”

 

“He didn't do anything to me.”

 

“Jennie.”

 

“You're up?” Another voice asks, this time belonging to a woman.

 

Kang Seulgi enters the room out of uniform, but dressed decidedly nicer than Taehyung ever bothered to on the job. She gives Jennie a nonchalant once over before her lips curve into a friendly and relieved smile.

 

“Officer Kang!” Jennie beams as the other woman walks into the room.

 

“She says she… fell.”

 

The female officer shrugs, glancing at Taehyung and then back at Jennie again.

 

“It’s believable.”

 

“I want to see him.” Jennie interrupts, causing the two police officers to exchange confused looks.

 

“See who, Jennie?” Seulgi asks, before Taehyung quickly interrupts.

 

“No way.”

 

“Why not?” Jennie complains as she starts to get out of the hospital bed. “He’s been wrongfully arrested and it’s kind of my fault. I have to go see him and make a statement.”

 

“Absolutely not.” Taehyung growls as Jennie starts to leave the room. He shouts after her, but his protests fall on deaf ears as Jennie moves down the hall.

 

“She’s really quick for a patient.” Seulgi remarks with a laugh, watching as Taehyung begins to bound after her.

 

. . .


 

“I don't like this.” Taehyung mumbles.

 

Jennie steps behind him, his lanky body positioned as if to shield her from her surroundings. It wasn’t that she hadn’t noticed that he was overprotective of her. Both he and Seulgi had paid careful attention to her every since she first charged in demanding to know what had happened to Namjoon.

 

It had been a while since Jennie had been to the police station, but it never really changed. The walls are the same dingy grey, the desks are still overloaded with mountains of paperwork. The air still smells like freshly brewed coffee and stale cigarette smoke.

 

It’s still the same as when Taehyung had processed her shoplifting arrest. Even Taehyung is the same, if only for more sharpness in his features and a deepening of his dark circles. But he’s the same, it’s only Jennie that’s changed.

 

Namjoon had bailed her out that time, but she always wondered where the money had come from. At the time all she cared about was that he was there.

 

(Alive.)

 

Jennie approaches the holding cell, Suga's slender body slouched against the wall. He draped his black jacket over his body before falling asleep. The effect is innocent and childlike as he dozes lightly in the cell. His face is softer and more boyish than she had remembered.

 

A busted lip mars his otherwise peaceful face. She doesn't remember that from the other night…

 

“I’m sorry.” She apologizes to the sleeping thug. It’s her fault he's having to sleep in that cramped cell, even after what had seemed to be a rough night to say the least.

 

She tries not to think about Jisoo’s fingers covered in blood as she leaned over that young boy in the kitchen. She tries not to think about the cold metal pressed ag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter