Reluctant Goodbye

A Second Chance At Love

“Ouch!”

Yuri yelped in pain as the stinging sensation burnt her delicate skin on her cheek. Yuri held it tightly and tried to ease the pain but it would not go away. She looked up at her mother-in-law with tears streaming down her cheeks.

“You ! Why did you collaborate with Sungmin to lie to me? He told me you two were spending a night together in the hotel but I went up to his room to find him in bed with Ryeowook! I have warned you about the consequences of not listening to me! Do you want me to stop paying for Yoona’s hospital bills?”

Her mother-in-law shouted in a thundering voice which attracted several nearby rooms to open their door and take a peek outside. She looked at the curious people with a nasty glare which frightened them and made them shut their doors instantly. Yuri was still in shock and trying to regain her composure.  Just then her room door opened and Siwon stepped out dressed in his suit.

“Who the hell is this man? What is he doing in the same room as you? You cheap , I told you that you can’t have another man even if Sungmin doesn’t touch you!”

Old Mrs Lee gave Yuri another slap on the other side of her cheek. This time round, Yuri did not scream but simply kept her head down in shame as she placed her other hand on the wound.

Siwon held on to the old lady’s arm and yelled fiercely.

“Madam, you have no right to lay a hand on her!”

Old Mrs Lee’s eyes turned into slits as she shot Siwon a nasty stare.

“This is none of your business. I am teaching my daughter-in-law a lesson.”

“It’s my business when you hurt my woman.”

The furious old lady gave a sarcastic laughter.

“She’s nothing but a worthless woman who married my son for money. I don’t know what you see in her but she’s my property because I have bought her freedom with my money!”

Siwon took out his wallet and pulled out a check. He filled it up and handed it to old Mrs Lee.

“This is a check for one million USD. I will give you the remaining amount when I have it. I’m the CEO of Choi Hotel Corporation; you know where to find me. Yuri will file for divorce from your precious son.”

Old Mrs Lee smirked and replied, “Yuri, I see why you are willing to go against me. You have found yourself a richer man than my son. You are a greedy .”

She then turned to Siwon and warned him.

“Young man, I see you have befallen to the spell of this woman. I was hoodwinked by her when she acted innocent and married into my family. But all she ever took from me was money. You must be careful of her; she could be out to cheat you too!”

The old lady kept her head high as she sashayed away.

“Yuri, are you alright?”

Siwon asked as he hugged Yuri tightly and rubbed his hand along her back. Yuri burst out into tears and wrapped her arms around him.

“I don’t know what I’ll do without you, Siwon.”

“It’s all over now. You still have me and Yoona’s bills will be my responsibility.”

---------------------------------

The news of Yuri’s separation from the Lee family spread like wild fire after that day. But no one knew the identity of the man Yuri had been with. Old Mrs Lee knew it was a sensitive matter since their families were business partners. She was also afraid that news will get out that her son was indeed gay. Thus, she just claimed that Yuri and Sungmin could not get along and they were going to get a divorce. It was headline news on the tabloids as well and the public was speculating about it.

Overnight, Yuri had lost all that she ever had in the Lee house because those were not bought with her own money. Yuri had to rebuild her life by shopping for new clothes and necessities but she was happy. She was going to stay at Siwon’s old apartment.

“I hope you like my apartment. I promise I’ll buy you a big house to stay in when I can afford it,” said Siwon as they stepped inside.

Yuri shook her head.

“No, it’s enough for me. I don’t need anything extravagant. Thank you for helping me when I have absolutely nothing.”

Siwon led her to the couch and they sat down together. He held her chin and looked her deeply into the eyes.

“You silly girl, you deserve the best and I will give you everything I can. I’m sorry I have to leave you alone for a month. I promise you I will be back very soon and you can start life afresh with me.”

 Yuri nodded as he used her thumb to her face.

“Go place the clothes you just bought in my wardrobe.”

Yuri stood up and headed to the bedroom. Just as she opened the door, she gasped. There was a big heart shape on the bed formed with red rose petals scattered on it. In the center of the heart, there was a teddy bear with a big ribbon on its head and holding a sign that says “Will You Marry Me?”

She turned around and came face to face with Siwon who was standing by the door with a big ribbon tied on his head. He grinned at her like a fool, which made Yuri giggle. In his hand, he was holding a red velvet box which contained a diamond ring. Siwon walked towards her and got down on one knee. Yuri had her hands over as she tried to contain her excitement.

“Even though we can’t be legally married so soon, I just want to let you know I’m serious about this and I have made up my mind that there’s no other woman I want but you. Will you marry me, Yuri?”

“You look so silly, Siwon…”

Yuri trailed off as she laughed at how ridiculous he looked.

Siwon pouted sadly.

“You can’t say no to a cute teddy right? He just wanted to make you happy.”

Yuri nodded profusely.

“Yes, I will marry you.”

Siwon punched his fist into the air and gave out a triumphant scream. Yuri took off the ribbon around his head and arranged his hair neatly. She looked down at her feet as Siwon took her hand and slide the finger on her ring finger.

“I’m not going to be afraid that someone will steal my girl when I’m miles away. You’re not getting away from me, Kwon Yuri.”

He said playfully before kissing her eagerly.

-----------------------------

Because Siwon was busy preparing for the trip, the last week he had together with Yuri flew by quickly. He didn’t get to spend much time with her and because he could not tell his family about her yet, Yuri had to stay alone in his apartment. But Yuri had great faith in Siwon and was understanding about the situation.

Few hours before his plane was taking off, Siwon went to his apartment to meet Yuri for the last time.

“Goodbye Yuri, take care of yourself and I’ll be back before you even realize it.”

He kissed her on the forehead to bid her farewell.

“Remember to call me when you get back safely to your hotel every night. Remember to have proper meals even if you are too busy working. Remember to have a sweet dream about me when you’re asleep!”

Siwon laughed and .

“I’ll be having a dream of you every night. Maybe I’ll dream of you wearing nothing!”

His cheeky comment earned him a playful slap from Yuri.

“I have to head off to Incheon Airport now; you’ll be strong without me alright?”

Yuri nodded and flashed him a sweet smile, which melted his heart. She looked at him with her bright eyes filled with love.

“Don’t look at me like that; I might not want to leave.”

But eventually he had to leave and the couple was separated for another month after only being reunited for a week. Yuri watched as he entered the elevator and the smile she had plastered on her face disappeared. She knew she was going to miss him a hell lot but she wanted to put up a strong front to make him not worry about her. A tear escaped from her eye and wet her cheek.

-------------------------------

Siwon arrived at the airport and met Tiffany at the check-in counter. Tiffany was dressed fashionably from head to toe and turned many heads. But Siwon could care less about that as his heart remained with Yuri.

“Siwon Oppa!”

Tiffany exclaimed as he walked towards her.

“Let’s check in,” said Siwon flatly as they walked to the first class check-in counter.

-------------------------------

They sat side by side on the airplane in the first class. Siwon asked for a beer the moment he got on and started to gulp it down.

“Siwon Oppa, why are you drinking so much on an empty stomach? It is bad for your health!”

Siwon turned to look at Tiffany who seemed so bubbly and cheerful. He, on the other hand, was not excited to be flying to America unlike her. He just wanted to get off this flight and return to his apartment. But he kept reminding himself this is for his future with Yuri. He still had to pay a huge sum of money to the Lee family before Yuri can be free.

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry about me.”

As he closed his eyes, the airplane took off.