Chapter 1

The Beginning of Something Unexpected

9th February 2018

Though Kang-eonni isn’t exactly a member of the Belle Epoque anymore, she often comes over. She and Jo Eun are now familiar with each other, so the 6 girls are very cose now. On some occasions, the girls would have a feast party every month or so, and Kang-eonni would stay overnight, occupying the sofa until the next morning. Belle Epoque has practically become her second home.

During one of the gatherings, the Belle Epoque girls swarmed the living room and had a feast of chicken, beers, and decided to play truth or dare. It was a no-guy meet-up, so the girls could be comfortable playing. Using spin-the-can-of-beer method, the girls decided whose turn it would be.

Eunjae got picked. The girls waited for her choice to either answer a question truthfully, or do a dare as requested.

Eunjae: Uh… this is a hard choice

Yina: Ya, come on. This is just a game, and it’s just between us anyway.

Hearing Kang-eonni’s explanation, Eunjae made her choice.

Eunjae: Truth.

The girls got excited to hear Eunjae’s choice as there are many things to dig out from one of the maknaes in the house. Without further ado, Yeeun swiftly raised the question.

Yeeun: Have you ‘done that’ with Chungwon?

(Oh wait. If you don’t know what happened yet, Eunjae and Chungwon finally got together in the end.)

Flashback

20th December 2017

Up until the end of 2017, Eunjae still couldn’t move on from her first love, Jongyeol. It was her first love and boyfriend at the same time, so it’s super hard to forget about him.

Chungwon knew all these because every time he fetched Eunjae after class outside her lecture room, she always didn’t listen to his greetings and instead tried to find Jongyeol, obvious by her eyes that followed where Jongyeol was going complete with her habitual sulk. At first, Chungwon is cool with that as he understood her feelings and how bad she must’ve tried to move on. But this time, he couldn’t hold it anymore.

The two headed for lunch at a restaurant near the campus. While eating, Chungwon decided to talk to Eunjae.

Chungwon: Eunjae-ya… you still haven’t moved on from him?

Eunjae being Eunjae, her eyes expanded in shock.

Eunjae: …what?

Chungwon: The guy who’s in your class. Your ex. You haven’t moved on from him?

After much hesitation, Eunjae continued.

Eunjae: Yes… I’m so sorry… I’m not supposed to do this, but I just can’t seem to forget about him :’(

Chungwon: No… it’s okay. We all go through that process. To be honest, I also experienced the similar things as you are now.

Hearing that, Eunjae’s expression turned curious.

Chungwon: I met her during uni orientation and from there, we dated. But it only lasted for 7 months. She felt that her feelings for me was simply an infatuation from the start, so she dumped me. To be honest, even though I might seem tough, as a guy, I was hurt too. I did so many memorable things with her, and for one month since the breakup, I couldn’t concentrate at all, I even get scolded by Sungmin-hyung countless times because I lost focus. But you know what?

Chungwon’s question made Eunjae even more curious.

Chungwon: I finally learnt that it’s impossible for me and her to start all over again, because we’re just not meant to be anymore. When Jiwon-sunbae told me to go on a blind date with you that time, I was actually still recovering from the breakup. I wanted to meet other people and do normal things again.

This statement made Eunjae a little surprised.

Eunjae: Gosh, so that’s what happened? I was moving on from my ex too at the time. I’m sorry if I was being rude or weird at any point.

Chungwon: Oh, it’s fine. You didn’t do anything wrong. I actually found you cute. I never met anyone who’s as honest as you were. So when you suddenly appeared at the university newspaper office, I was surprised and happy that you came.

At that moment, Eunjae’s mind suddenly stopped thinking about Jongyeol, and realized just how patient and nice Chungwon is for the past few months. She thought, maybe it’s God’s will that Chungwon is there for her.

Long story short, Eunjae and Chungwon got together in the end. On New Year day. And yeah, she got her New Year’s kiss with Chungwon. He’s always there for her and he’s been the best companion in many things. He’s not pushy about fulfilling his s*xual desires. From Eunjae’s experience, she thought that’s the best a guy can assure her about.

Eunjae’s New Year’s first kiss ended with Chungwon as the mass countdown event and the fireworks ended. Chungwon held Eunjae’s small hand, and took her away.

Eunjae was already in front of an open door to an apartment. She stepped in, guided by Chungwon who walked backwards, gazing at Eunjae’s charming eyes.

Flashforward - Truth or Dare

Eunjae: Well… (She grinned). I’d say… almost?

Everyone (Jiwon’s voice was the loudest): MWOYA!!! I thought you said you picked truth. So tell us the truth!

Flashback - New Year’s

The door behind Eunjae automatically closed and locked itself, while the two headed towards the double bed that’s positioned at the end of the small studio apartment, making out. The kiss got deeper and rougher, but as they reached the , Eunjae suddenly pulled herself back, trying to catch her breath while she sat on Chungwon.

Chungwon: Are you okay?

Eunjae hesitated for a while…

Eunjae: I’m okay, but…

Before she could finish her words, Chungwon continued-

Chungwon: It’s okay, Eunjae-ya… We don’t have to go that far if you don’t want to. Take your time. It’s not your body that I want. I truly love you for who you are.

Eunjae: Oppa…

Right at that moment, the two gazed at each other for 5 seconds, before Eunjae moved to cuddle beside him and kissed him once more. This time, as softly as she could, fully expressing her gratitude and affection for her boyfriend, whom she promised to grow together with. The two slept soundly on the same bed as the time read: 3 a.m.

Flashforward - Truth or Dare

Jiwon: Ya! It was so close! How did you hold it in???

Yina: Sshhh! It’s just her. Not everyone can do it easily for the first time.

Jiwon: Aish, it’s so nice that you all have had boyfriends, what about me? I haven’t even kissed anyone ever… If I did, I think that’s with my golden retriever who already died when I was in 6th grade.

Jinmyung, being the oldest of the girls, contributed her two-cents.

Jinmyung: Jiwon-ah, the time will come. Just be a bit more patient. I’m sure God has set a soulmate out there for you.

Eun: ayyyy, It’s so obvious that you and Chef Park are having so much fun together ;D

Just like that, the girls kept laughing and teased each other until as the time ticked and the night became darker.


11th February 2018 – Belle Epoque (2 days later)

It’s Sunday morning and everyone was starting their day lazily.

Jiwon walked outside her room while yawning and stretching her arms, finding Yeeun who’s already sitting down on the dining table holding her pink phone on her right ear, smiling cheek to cheek.

On the phone…

Yeeun: So, what are we planning to do on Valentine’s day this year? Ah, really? You don’t want to tell me? Is it a surprise?

Yeeun kept smiling. This time, she curled the strands of her long hair with her fingers.

Yeeun: Arasseo, I’ll wait. Eung… Love you. See you later!

Seeing how happy Yeeun looked made Jiwon feel empty.

Jiwon: It’s nice that you have a boyfriend. You have so many fun things to do. Meanwhile, I’m single and have to go back and forth to meet with Teacher Han’s victims to discuss the case.

Jiwon walked past Yeeun towards the bathroom.

Jiwon: I’ll do my morning business first!

Yeeun: Ya! There’s no need to tell me that!

Just then, the toilet door closed. Eunjae then came out of her room.

Eunjae: Yeeun-sunbae, are you excited for today?

Yeeun: Of course! It’s my first time having a double-date XD. So how? Did Chungwon say he can go?

Eunjae: Of course, he just called me.

Yeeun: Arasseo, Let’s get ready!

Eunjae: Ok ^.^

Eun then came out of her room, with a gloomy face. She headed straight to the sofa, staring blankly at her phone. Noticing what’s happening, Yeeun initiated to ask what’s happening.

Yeeun: Eun-ah, what’s with your mood? Did something happen?

Eun just stayed still, still looking at her locked screen phone. Yeeun and Eunjae approached her and tried to get something out of her. Suddenly, Eun burst out crying. Jiwon and Yoon-sunbae simultaneously came out from the bathroom and bedroom to approach the girls.

Jinmyung: Eun-ah, what happened?

Jinmyung gave the others the look – trying to ask if anyone had any idea of what happened. Yeeun and Eunjae shook their heads lightly as a response that they don’t know. Being clueless as she always had been,

Jiwon blurted: Is it because of your man who’s in the army? Why? He hasn’t called you yet? How long has it been?

As soon as Jiwon finished her bombardment of questions, the other girls finally grasped the situation. Eun finally opened .

Eun: A week. He hasn’t called me for a week. I miss him so much. I really don’t know how to handle this. It’s been almost 5 months since we dated and since he enlisted. We haven’t even spent that much time together, but he left me here to serve the military. I know he can’t always have the privilege to call. I even heard some soldiers had to prove themselves every week to make a single phone call. It’s been a week now, and I’m so worried that something might have happened :’(

Hearing Eun’s story while she sobbed made the hearts of the girls sink deep. They gave Eun a group hug.

Jinmyung: It’s alright… he should be okay.


11th February 2018 – Military Training Ground

A group of soldiers gathered at a field. A few soldiers were lined up in front.

Janghoon: PRIVATE SEO-JANG-HOON

Army Senior: Private Seo Janghoon, you’ve shown an incredible result in the military training. As a result, you will be promoted as an assistant sergeant of the platoon and will be granted a 5-day off holiday period. During that period of time, you can go back home and spend time outside the base, but be reminded that you have to report back no later than 15.00 hrs on 18 February. If you fail to do so, you will see what happens.

Janghoon: PRIVATE SEO-JANG-HOON ACCEPTS THE COMMAND GIVEN! SALUTE! *smiles cheek to cheek*, looking excited and happy.


11th February – Seoul Café

Back in Seoul, Chungwon and Hochang apparently have arrived at the café where they’re supposed to meet at for the double date. The atmosphere between the two guys were so awkward, but Chungwon opened the conversation first.

Chungwon: Which year and major are you in?

Hochang: I enrolled in 2015, this is my 2nd year. I’m majoring in Software engineering. You?

Chungwon: oh, you’re a year ahead of me. I’m a 2016 student, majoring in journalism.

Hochang: Ah, arasseo. So you’re my junior?

Chungwon: Yes…

Just when their conversion was about to turn awkward all over again, Yeeyun and Eunjae arrived. Both boys raised from their seats as they smiled to welcome their girlfriends. The boys sat next to each other, facing the girls.

Yeeun: Have you guys waited a long time?

Hochang: No, we came not long ago too.

Eunjae: Ah Yeeun-sunbae, this is Chungwon, oppa, this is Yeeun-sunbae.

Both Yeeun and Chungwon exchanged their greetings. To break the silence, the boys asked what they wanted to order at the same time, and the four people laughed the scene. In the end, the boys went to order together. Those two couples looked happy as their first double date with an awkward start turned out to be a fun date after all.


12th February 2018 – University Newspaper Office

Jiwon is back, investigating Teacher Han’s s*xual assault case. Since her hoobaes are helping her out to find information for the past 5 months, she felt more relieved. But she couldn’t help the fact that the case still scared her to death.

As Jiwon sat in the meeting room, Sungmin who just arrived at the venue walked towards Jiwon and tapped her shoulder.

Sungmin: Let’s go.

Jiwon who was zoning out, worrying about the case, switched her expression instantly and replied:

Jiwon: let’s go let’s go!’

In the car, Sungmin looked at Jiwon who was zoning out on the passenger’s seat.

Sungmin: Are you okay?

Jiwon: *sighs* No, I’m not okay. I’ve been dealing with this case for over 5 months now, and even if more and more victims have emerged, which increases the chance of conviction, I feel even more scared. But it’s going to go well, won’t it?

Sungmin: We’ve got a lawyer and a team of prosecutor who are helpful towards this case, and don’t you realize the kids back at the uni are all helping us to find all relevant information? You don’t need to worry, because there are so many people backing us up. Where’s the Song Jiwon who’s always full of spirit?

Jiwon: You’re right. I don’t have to be scared.

At the lawyer’s office…

Lawyer Jo Eunhee: Oh, you two came together again… 

Eunhee tried to confirm whether Jiwon and Sungmin are dating or not

Jiwon: ahh HAHAHAH of course we came together, he’s my servant.

As Jiwon uttered the word ‘servant’, Sungmin stared at Jiwon in disbelief and stayed quiet as he always does.

The meeting started and the lawyer, Jiwon and Sungmin discussed about the case.

Jo Eunhee: Compared to our first trial in October, I think we can be 99% sure that Mr. Han will be convicted at tomorrow’s hearing.

Those words of assurance coming from the lawyer’s mouth made Jiwon’s expression full of hope and light again.

Jiwon: really? O.O

Eunhee: Yes, you know I never bluff to my clients. From the meetings that I previously had with the witnesses, I can really assure you that we now have enough evidence to charge Mr. Han as a s*xual assault offender. Jiwon-ah, the reason why I called you here is because we just got a lead from the prosecutor’s office.

Jiwon and Sungmin looked at each other in reflex, with their eyes goggling like never before.

Jiwon: What kind of evidence?

Eunhee: A voice recording.

Jiwon and Sungmin who were already taken aback by the fact that there’s a substantial evidence found, were even more startled upon hearing the emergence of a voice recording evidence.

Eunhee: So, after a thorough investigation, the prosecutors found out that Mr. Han actually has a wife, but she’s in the hospital now. Dementia. You can probably guess what happened.


13th February 2018 – Court

This time, Jiwon is not going in as a plaintiff, but rather as a spectator in the court room, as the charges are now coming from the prosecutors.

The time read 9.53 a.m., at 10 a.m. sharp, the final trial will start, where the verdict will be announced by the judge at the end. The Belle Epoque girls including Kang-eonni is there. Yoon-sunbae also took a leave from the office, so she could join the final hearing as well. 

Of course, we can’t leave out Sungmin who’s apparently always beside Jiwon at every important occasion.

Sungmin stood at the side while the girls gathered to give the final support to Jiwon. They’re all aware of how hard she had been working for the case. Sungmin knew all the girls already, but he’s not very familiar with Kang-eonni as it’s his first time meeting her.

Yina: Jiwon-ah, he’s your friend?

Jiwon: Yeah, he’s from the same newspaper club

Yina: ani, that’s not what I meant. Why didn’t you tell me you have a guy friend like that?

When Kang-eonni blurted that question out, the other girls stayed quiet but at the same time curious because Jiwon clearly always complained about not having a single guy in her life, while in reality, she does. A loyal one at that.

Jiwon: Well, I don’t see why I have to talk about him. showing her straight out ignorance.

Upon hearing her answer, the girls sighed all at the same time. Suddenly, Sungmin poked Jiwon’s shoulders with his two fingers.

Sungmin: Hey, it’s time….

As the squad entered the court room, Sungmin sat beside Jiwon and stared at her, who looked as worried as ever. He really wanted to hug and assure her that it will be alright, but he held it in. 

Kang-eonni who’s known for her quick-wittedness on relationships, caught on the situation right away.

The audience, prosecutor as well as Mr. Han and his lawyer were seated on the designated spaces. The court room door behind the audience closed as the judges proceeded to the Bench. The hearing started right after the attendees raised to respect the judges.

Judge: Prosecutor-in-charge, you may read out the opening statement.

Prosecutor Jung Jaechan:

Today, on 13th February 2018, we’re holding the final hearing on Mr. Han Gwanyoung’s case.

His crime is having committed repeated s*xual assault towards his female students when he worked as an Art Teacher in several institutions à primary school, junior high school, and senior high school.

A total of 4 victims have come up to the prosecutors’ office and they all have suffered from long-term depressions as a result of s*xual trauma caused by the offense initiated by the defendant.

At the time when the s*xual violence took place, the victims’ age varied. They were 9, 13, 15 and 17 years old. Therefore, the Act on Special Cases Concerning the Punishment of S*xual Crimes as well as the Act on the Protection of Children and Juveniles from S*xual Abuse will constitute the charges pressed upon the defendant.

Continuing from that, the prosecution will be charging the defendant for life-imprisonment. In addition, he will be liable to pay a total of ₩30 Million in compensation towards the victims’ rehabilitation programs.

That’s all.

As the judge acknowledged the opening statement, witnesses (victims) came out one by one to provide their accounts. Despite constant denial and objections raised by the defendant’s spokesperson, the court seemed to lean more towards the prosecutors.

All 4 witnesses are done with their testimonies, and several evidences have been presented to the Judge.

Judge: Prosecutor-in-charge, is there any final evidence you would like to submit?

Jaechan: Yes, your honor. There is.

Judge: What is it?

Jaechan: It’s a voice recording containing the defendant’s voice at the time his crime was committed.

The crowd showed their disbelief and disgust as Jaechan explain what the recording was about, until the judge had to hit the gavel multiple times on the sound block to maintain the court’s order.

Judge: and how exactly was the evidence obtained?

Flashback

Jaechan went through a background check on Han Gwanyoung. He noticed something off. Han Gwanyoung’s wife is clearly listed on the family registry, and there’s no record of her death, but how come she has never been spotted anywhere near Han Gwanyoung?

Having the curiosity to dig more into the information, Jaechan finally found Mr. Han’s wife. She’s apparently been admitted to a local hospital to receive treatment there for dementia.

With a special warrant, Jaechan’s able to get access to personally question the wife.

As he stepped into a VIP-room with a name slot that read ‘Kim Haesook’, he saw an old lady with greyish-white hair resting just over her shoulder. She seemed like she’s in her late 60s.

While the lady sat down on her bed while looking outside the room’s window, Jaechan sat on a chair next to the patient’s bed.

Jaechan: Kim Haesook-ssi?

There was no reply, so Jaechan tried one more time.

Jaechan: Kim Haesook-ssi, do you know that your husband is being investigated for s*xual assault on the underage?

As Jaechan went straight to the point, Kim Haesook finally gave him some attention.

Haesook: Jerk.

Jaechan: I’m sorry, what did you say?

Haesook: That scumbag deserves that.

Jaechan: Kim-Haesook-ssi can you explain what you meant by that?

Without saying a single word, Haesook reached out to her old-fashhioned phone on the side of her hospital bed. She clicked some buttons on it and handed the phone over to Jaechan.

When Jaechan saw the screen, it showed ‘Voice_Recording_002’ with the date and time stamp ’08 June 2009, 15:54 p.m.’

Jaechan played the file, and closed his eyes as he couldn’t stand hearing the cries of a girl who pleaded Mr. Han to ‘stop’. The recording continued as Mr. Han repeatedly said ‘it’s okay, it’s not gonna hurt’ to the young girl. However, a few moments later, a helpless scream echoed from the recording, and Jaechan who couldn’t stand hearing it, pushed the stop button right away.

Flashforward - Court’s room

Judge: ‘The court is adjourned.’ as the judge hit the gavel thrice on the sound block.

Jiwon and the squad exited the premise. She was quiet the whole time until she arrived at the lobby. Sungmin was beside her while the Belle Epoque girls followed the two behind.

Jiwon stopped, and suddenly covered her face. Sungmin thought to himself ‘Is she crying?’ Looking at Jiwon’s gesture made his suppressed feeling burst. For the first time ever, he reached out both his arms to hug Jiwon tightly, Cupping Jiwon’s tiny frame on his chest, while Jiwon released her tears.

Jiwon is thankful that her debt towards Moon Hyojin has now been paid in full.

The Belle Epoque girls felt both sympathetic and happy at the same time. Sympathetic because Jiwon rarely cried in front of them, and happy because of the sight they’re seeing now – Jiwon being hugged by her loyal ‘servant’. The girls looked at each other smiling, as they admired the two human beings in front of them.

Jiwon has been crying for a while, and she finally let herself out of Sungmin’s embrace and turned back to convey her gratitude to the housemates.

Jiwon: Girls, thank you so much for being here with me today. I know you all are actually busy with college and work, but the fact that you came here just to accompany me to the trial is something I never imagined.

Hearing Jiwon said those heart-felt statement for the first time, the housemates approached Jiwon to give her an affectionate group hug.

Yina: Jiwon-ah, we’ll go first, okay?

Jiwon: Sungmin-ah, how many people-

Yina: aay, stop iti! I have a car and I’ll take care of it. Guys, let’s go! Uhm… Sungmin-ssi, please take care of Jiwon, okay?

Sungmin who couldn’t say no, slightly bowed his head in acceptance of Kang-eonni’s request. He and Jiwon watched as the girls left the lobby.

Sungmin: Let’s go.

Jiwon: Hmm…

Just like that, the two went back together, while the girls rode on Kang-eonnis car, in fear.

In the basement as the  Belle Epoque squad headed towards Yina’s car.

Eunjae: You saw it right? Jiwon-sunbae and her friend.

Everyone nodded.

Yina: I saw it. The guy totally likes her. I mean, how can Jiwon not notice? Don’t you guys think it’s obvious?

Jinmyung: That’s actually true. From my point of view, I think Jiwon is the only one who’s not aware of this situation. What should we do?

Yina: What do you mean what should we do? Don’t worry, Kang Yina is always available for LOVE-911.

Yeeun: Wah, I really can’t wait until they get together. Will my joke come true? Remember when I said your servant will be your bae and your bae will be your hubby? What if it comes true?

Eun: If It comes true, I think Jiwon-sunbae will be the happiest person ever.

Eunjae: By the way, where are we going?

Yeeun: Kang-eonni, did you forget where you park the car?!

Jinmyung: Yina-ya, do you know how to drive????

Eun: What’s happening? What’s wrong with Kang-eonni’s driving?

As a response to all the girls’ questions, Kang-eonni could only grin.


Jiwon broke the silence between her and Sungmin.

‘Finally, it’s all over.’ Jiwon let go a huge sigh, symbolizing freedom and relief.

Seeing Jiwon who has regained her beautiful smile on her face, Sungmin smiled in disguise while focusing on the road ahead.

Unexpectedly, this time Jiwon realized Sungmin’s subtle smile and .

Jiwon: ayyy, did you just smile?

Sungmin: What? No! are you hallucinating now?!

Jiwon: don’t lie! I saw it! I saw you smiling!

Sungmin: Ah, I don’t know! Be quiet! I wish I can have the quiet Jiwon back just before the trial.

Jiwon: Aigoo… what a lie. You said you wanted to see the cheerful me, didn’t you?

*Red Light*

Sungmin hit the brake upon seeing the red traffic light, and gulped as Jiwon caught him this time.

Jiwon: Sungmin-ah… Thank you.

Sungmin, who was focusing on what’s in front of him diverted his attention to Jiwon, as they both caught each other’s eyes.

*Green Light*

Sungmin got back to his senses as he heard the cars behind him honking, and realized that the traffic light had turned green for don’t know how long. He stepped on the car’s pedal and continued driving. This time, with his heart pounding like crazy.