First night

The Gray howler
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s the sixth month that Kyungsoo can mutter the prayers instinctively for the mourning of his dead mother. ‘We are a good society.’ He recalled his father’s sayings. You mourn for your parent’s death—six months for first mourning and after those endless direful days, another four months for the second mourning was waiting.

So it’s a whole dreadful year for the mourning. That and this so called good society are what his life’s about—to avoid solecism. It didn’t really buying him any sense, except for the initial mourning that he naturally felt after his mother’s death that lasted only for a week—the rests was acceptance. The next four months of mourning would be likely to exasperate him.

It was the first week of February when Mr. Seok—the Freak Show promoter visited his father. He was the well known producer of the show in amusement parks mainly of deformity and freak creatures. His father in other way had been one of the financial sources of the seasonal show. His father, the old fine man—Lord Do, was one of the famous scholars who belongs to the upper class scholars that are convinced that freak shows were an important part of the development of their culture. Lord Do called out for his son to greet Mr. Seok at the door. Kyungsoo recalled the letter of introduction they received a week ago from a mailman, announcing the visit of Mr. Seok. His unexpected visit was unlikely to his previous ones, since the entertainment in amusement park held only in summer. But the sudden visit didn’t even lessen his father’s enthrallment.

When their chamberlain opened up the door, Mr. Seok was already standing at the doorsill. Lord Do so gracefully bowed a little with stiff poise, an elegant etiquette of an upper class man. In return, Mr. Seok pulled off his bowler hat and did so well his good manner in greeting. After, they shake hands. Kyungsoo was staring at the two old men. He knew the experience when his father did not like his acquaintance—he didn’t shake hands with them. It was not normative behaviour among the well-mannered. It was in fact considered highly inappropriate to shake hands. The more public the place in which people met, the less appropriate to shake hands, shaking hands was considered far too personal a matter to be employed casually—perhaps, Mr.Seok was so special to his father.

Kyungsoo barely noticed attentiveness when his father cleared his throat rather exaggeratedly than normal reasoning there—particularly to arrest his attention to the matter. It was natural for Kyungsoo to do nothing when meeting a person he did not care to make, but the bow was sufficient. Conversations and further acquaintance with undesirable person was not an obligation, but the bow was. He bowed slightly, though obviously unfriendly, it was as much as is needed.

Mr.Seok also bowed very gracefully, returning the gesture rather appreciatively than Kyungsoo did. He looked at Kyungsoo from head to toe. ‘Have you been ain a riding Mr. Do?’

Wearing breeches, which was the formal function when horseback riding, Kyungsoo gingerly looked down at himself. ‘Uh, no sir.’ His cheeks flushed, a rich colour. Good society. Thought Kyungsoo. That your etiquette was transparent by what you were wearing. Unlike him, Mr.Seok dusted down his dark tail coat as he watched Kyungsoo flushing. From behind Mr.Seok, he could see a glimpse of his Brougham—the vehicle for middle class people.

Lord Do knowingly studied his son for a moment before he proceeded for Mr. Seok. The two old men strolled into the living room.

It’s not done.
He heard the whole conversations from the listings of new investments, new collections, the endless learning to ride, to shoot, to fence, to box, to swim, to row, to dance and this dreadful Freak Show. 

Kyungsoo thought that it was nothing but the exhibition of biological rarities—racism. Those uncommonly large or small humans, people with extraordinary diseases and conditions, and performances that are expected to be shocking to the viewers. Heavily tattooed or pierced people, fire-eating and sword-swallowing acts were those in such attention-getting physical performers in a Freak Show.

Kyungsoo wondered how people enjoyed the deformities when they knew the truth. How they endured to treat those humans to be their object of interest for their pastimes—loved watching a man with microcephaly combined with talent displays. The logic was ridiculous. Like how obviously ridiculous it was when they entitled the Freak Show, Human Freaks doesn’t even unnerved arrogant viewers by just reading the word Human. Kyungsoo thought that if a person with severe disease is what these people craving for, then a Lord with a cancer should have been a great example. Funny, thought Kyungsoo. 

He was sitting in the dining table watching the chamberlain prepare dinner, when he heard Mr.Seok mentioned about the Werewolves.

He turned his head unthinkingly as he tried to hear further conversations. 


‘It would be your best work, Mr. Seok, the best thing you are going to do.’ Lord Do exclaimed. ‘You must certainly package it this summer to the club. My fellow lords have been waiting too long enough.’

‘I don’t think I will show it anywhere in this summer.’ Mr.Seok answered. It seemed always to be like he was taking every lord to hung themselves and hungry for him.

Kyungsoo rather felt than saw his father’s elevated expressions. ‘Not show it anywhere? My dear Mr.Seok, have you any reason? You do anything in the world to gain reputation and seemed to want it to throw away. It is silly of you.’

Mr.Seok drew in a deep breath. ‘I want to package it this month. I think it’s the best time to introduce my best show this month than late.’ He added with a sentimental sweet voice.

Kyungsoo knew that lords of his father’s faction had been entranced by the promoter’s fruitful mouth. And it was impossible for them to reject this man.

‘A show like that would set you far above all the promoters and make them quite jealous.’ Lord Do said in amusement.

‘Yes, My lord. I have put too much of myself into it.’ Said Mr.Seok in a pleased voice. ‘and it pleases me to invite you to my workplace to view my special package.’

Lord Do then relaxed with laughter. ‘I do. I do.’


The dinner went with a little terrifying matter as the pac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter