---

girlfriend's a nice word

kyungwon remembers the first memorable time minkyung used the word girlfriend. hearts beating fast, hands shaking, voice quivering in fear and uncertainty but it was perfect and exactly how the two of them would have wanted it. 

 

 

kyungwon paces around the garden, waiting for minkyung. the sun was about to set when she hears the leaves rustle and a tall figure running to her. immediately, she’s on the receiving end of a bear hug and she melts into minkyung’s embrace. it’s always been their thing to hug each other when they meet and when they’re saying goodbye. 

 

“sorry i’m late, got a little caught up.” 

 

kyungwon assures minkyung that it’s fine and that she understands. besides, that extra time was barely enough for kyungwon to prepare herself. the two of them sit down on a large swing, letting the sway of swing and silence of the park consume them before minkyung broke the silence. 

 

“so what did you have to tell me that was SO important that i had to come out here?” 

 

kyungwon is terrified but she remembers nayoung’s advice. 

  1. take a deep breath. 
  2. speak slowly and truthfully. 

 

“i might ramble a bit but just bear with me and hear me out alright?” minkyung nods and kyungwon proceeds. 

 

“we’ve known each other since kindergarten and i’m highly convinced we’re soulmates at this point. you’ve always been there for me since day one and never have you left me by myself to handle all my burdens and problems and i’ve always been so grateful to have you in my life.” 

 

kyungwon takes hold of minkyung’s hands and she thinks she sees tears welling up in minkyung’s eyes but she’s not sure and she continues. 

 

“but for awhile now, by awhile i mean a few years, i’ve started thinking that maybe i’d want to take more responsibility of you, maybe i’d want to always be your go-to person, maybe i’d want to be the reason behind your smiles. if you don’t get what i mean by now, what i’m trying to say is i love you and i...” 

 

kyungwon’s words are cut off by minkyung pulling her closer and she feels her shoulder getting wet. she tries to calm minkyung down with soft, comforting pats which seem to work as the taller girl brings her head up so that their eyes are levelled. 

 

“i love you too, idiot. why are you making me cry like this?” 

 

“can i continue before i lose momentum? kinda about to die here.” 

 

minkyung just lets out a small laugh as she lets kyungwon do her thing. 

 

“so i was wondering if you’d be willing to let me take care of you, protect you and love you to the best of my abilities?” 

 

“you might as well just ask me to marry you already.” 

 

“so... that’s a...?” 

 

“yes, you can call me kang kyungwon’s girlfriend from now on.” 

 

kyungwon lets out a huge breath she didn’t even know she was holding in. her arms gravitate around minkyung’s waist while the latter’s hands are around her neck, holding on to each other tight as if to reaffirm each other. 


the second most memorable time was definitely even more nerve wrecking than having to confess. meeting the parents is never easy, even if minkyung’s parents already knew kyungwon very well. 

 

 

the couple stood in front of minkyung’s house, fingers interlocked. kyungwon is holding a fruit basket with her free hand and she thinks she’s going to faint any time soon. 

 

“it’s going to be fine, my parents love you!” 

 

minkyung gives kyungwon’s hand a little squeeze and sends her a reassuring smile which helps to comfort kyungwon a bit. 

 

“just don’t do anything dumb, you’ll be fine! it’s not the first time you’re seeing them anyway.” 

 

kyungwon hums in reply and focuses on calming her heart with deep breaths. first impressions (it technically isn’t but you get the point) are always important. this is the first time she’s being introduced as someone’s girlfriend and more importantly as minkyung’s girlfriend. kyungwon can see herself loving minkyung for the rest of her life and maybe even for the next few. the pressure to make sure she doesn’t screw anything up is intensified. 

 

“let’s go, we’re going to be late and i have to make a good impression on your parents.” 

 

“kang kyungwon, just to let you know, you’re adorable as heck. thanks for wanting to even meet and impress my parents, although i’m pretty sure they’ll love you but maybe just a little less than how much i love you.” 

 

minkyung plants a kiss on kyungwon’s lips and they both grin. feeling a surge of confidence, kyungwon knocks on the door with the hand holding the fruit basket while the other is still tightly holding onto  minkyung’s. the door opens and minkyung’s parents are both standing at the door, shock evident in their faces. (minkyung had already told their parents beforehand, she just never said who her partner was.) 

 

“mum, dad, this is kyungwon and she’s my girlfriend.” 

 

“hi mr and mrs kim, nice to meet you.” 

 

kyungwon imagines the shouting of minkyung’s parents to “get lost” or maybe disgust at the fact that their only daughter is a lesbian but none of that happens. in fact, she’s being warmly welcomed into mrs kim’s arms and minkyung’s dad gives her an approving look. kyungwon spots minkyung shooting her a little thumbs up and a wink as they all make their way to the kitchen. 

 

dinner runs smoothly as they talk about school, family and also a little about their love life. jokes and laughter are shared amongst the four of them and kyungwon feels perfectly at home. mrs kim even brings out a photo album filled with pictures of baby minkyung and minkyung tries her hardest not to be embarrassed but her parents sure do love teasing their baby girl as much as kyungwon does. the night comes to an end and mr kim offers to let kyungwon stay for the night which she accepts after long persuasion, her parents weren’t home anyway so it wouldn’t hurt staying over also minkyung has stolen enough clothes from her so clothes were not a problem. 

 

the couple lay in bed as they hold each other, recounting the days events. 

 

“you know what mom said to me after dinner?” 

 

minkyung shifts herself so she’s staring right into kyungwon’s eyes. she slowly caresses kyungwon’s cheeks and the feeling’s so domestic, they love it. 

 

“hmm what did she say?” 

 

“she said that if i don’t let you be her daughter-in-law, she might have to disown me. also dad said i better not hurt you or he’d kick me out of the house.” 

 

a pout is visibly shown on minkyung’s face and kyungwon chuckles, kissing the pout away. 

 

“it’s not fair! they’re my parents but they are obviously play favourites against me.”

 

“then i’ll baby you so you feel the love.” 

 

kyungwon opens up her arms as minkyung snuggles into her embrace, exactly like a small pup would. she starts to hum a small lullaby and pats minkyung’s back. minkyung snakes her long arms around kyungwon’s slim waist and closes the gap between them, bringing the two even closer. the room is peaceful, calm and they both fall asleep. 


the third most memorable time, she would have never imagined or even expected it. people change, feelings change. hearts find their new owners but some stay loyal to only one owner, even if it hurts. 

 

 

it was all new to kyungwon. she didn’t know what to expect. sitting in one of the booths inside the cafe, she puts her hands around the cup of hot chocolate to warm them. kyungwon almost places another order but stops as she realizes things are different now. the bell rings notifying the appearance of new guests into the cafe and she stretches her neck to spot the new faces. she finds two familiar faces, walking towards her and they take their seats in front of kyungwon. she doesn’t know whether to smile or cry but she sticks to a small grin. 

 

“so huihyeon, this is my best friend kyungwon and kyungwon, this is huihyeon...” 

 

kyungwon already knows but she still braces herself and lets minkyung complete her sentence. 

 

 

“she’s my girlfriend.” 

 

 

 

 


A/N: i can't angst for nuts