Choose Your Bias

Choose your Bias

It was another tiring day for our girls in the practice room. They had practiced for hours with barely no break, when it hat hit midnight. 

Searching their rest on the practice room floor, drinking water and giving their body its deserved break, the girls were now divided in two groups in the room: Yuju, Yerin and SinB, using their phones while resting their back on the wall; and Eunha, Sowon and Umji, whom were murmuring something while peering a glance now and then to the oblivious trio.

Sowon and Eunha sat right in front of the "phone group" while observing them with no words.

"Yes?" SinB decided to ask after the curious eyes of her unnies were starting to make her feel uncomfortable.

"Yerin!" Sowon said calling the attention of the other oblivious girl.

"Uh?" Yerin answered raising her eyes from her phone.

"If you had to choose between SinB and Yuju, who would choose?"

Yerin frowned. Now all the members paying attention to the sudden conversation.

"Choose for what?" Yerin decided to ask. 

"Just choose one! I need you to say SinB already so Eunha can buy me food!" Sowon answered, impatiently.

"Can you order sushi? I'm kinda in the mood for some sushi right now." SinB said.

"Or…" Eunha interfered "You can choose Yuju and Sowon Unnie can buy me some food!"

"Sushi, right? I'll look for the place right now." 

SinB started looking for good sushi restaurants near the building on her phone while Yerin kept her confused expression.

"Can you at least tell me choose them for what exactly?" Yerin asked again.

"I dunno. You're so attached to them. Choose your favorite!" Sowon shrugged.

"Oh… This looks good!" SinB said while looking at some restaurant menu.

"I'm attached to all of you." Yerin stated.

"Okay, but it’s like they're your favorites! Even buddies says that!" Sowon insisted.

"Even the international buddies, with their international knowledge." Eunha completed.

"Nonsense! Everyone knows my favorite is Umji!"

"Umji is everyone's favorite! She doesn't count!" Sowon said, peevishly.

"Once I heard that Umji is like puppies, kitties and babies: if you don't find them cute, you're heartless." Yuju said.

"Or a bastard." SinB said still looking to her phone.

"Language!" Sowon scolded, giving the younger girl a slap on her leg.

"AW!" she complained.

"Anyways, I love all of you equally! There's no such thing as favorite!" Yerin insisted.

"I'm not talking about love! I also love all of you equally, but my bias still is Umji!" Sowon said, "No, wait! I'm lying. I love Umji more."

"Once again, we all do. No big deal." SinB clarified.

Umji smiled over her unnies craziness while observing them from the other side of the room. That discussion was definitely popcorn and vip sit worthy.

"Come on! Choose your bias already!" Sowon said tired of the girl excuses.

"But I don't have one!"

"Wow! This looks freaking good!" SinB said now hovering a Chinese restaurant menu.

"LANGUAGE!" and Sowon hit her again.

"I said "freaking"!" SinB tried to defend herself, but with no use because her unnie slapped her leg again.

"Okay, let's try to make it easier for you: let's give a scenario!" Eunha decided to say.

"Yeah! If you had to choose Yuju or SinB from falling off a cliff, who would you save?" Sowon said now a little more excited. 

Perhaps now they would have their answer and she would be able to rub the fact she was right on Eunha's face! Well, that and the sushi she'd buy for her.

"What?! No! I can't answer that!" Yerin insisted with her mind set.

"Come on, Yerin! It's hypothetical! The girls won't have hard feelings. Right, girls?" Sowon said.

"Yeah, Yerin Unnie. Choose SinB, I don't mind, really." Yuju said with a sweet smile.

"This is expansive, but I'm not the one who's gonna pay, so come here delicious thing! You're going to the cart!" SinB said not seeming to have much interest in her unnies conversation.

"No, it's not that. Is that I wouldn't be able to choose!" Yerin insisted.

"But if you don't choose, both of them would die." 
Eunha reminded her.

"Then we all would die cause I wouldn't let go of neither of them!" 

"Oh, come on!" Sowon snorted.

Suddenly, the girls heard a "click" sound coming from the other side of the room.

"What ya doing?" Sowon asked to the maknae holding her phone in their direction.

"Nothing much, just capturing the moment." Umji shrugged with a smile.

"Okay." Sowon said and they returned their attention to Yerin.

Umji laughed quietly, while sending Somi the photo she just took from the girls and keeping in telling her about the crazy bet her unnies had made.

"Okay. Perhaps dying and living situations are too harsh." Eunha started.

"No!" SinB pouted, finally taking her eyes away from her phone, "They're the best!"

"I thought you weren't paying attention to us." Sowon said.

"I am. I just don't care."

"Anyways," Eunha kept going with her new idea, "Let's go with another scenario: you are holding two magic portions that can save the world from its destruction, but for this to work you must give one for one of them and drink the other. The consequences though are that you won't ever be able to get even near the one you gave the portion again, otherwise the world will explode."

"I liked the exploding part." SinB said still hovering the menus.

Sowon slapped her leg.

"Aw! What now?!"

"She still can text me or face call me?" Yuju asked.

"No. The slightest interaction between the two people whom drank the portion takes the world to its end." Eunha explained.

"Why?" Sowon asked.

"Yeah, where’s the logical on it?" SinB asked.

"It's magic! It doesn't need explanation!" Eunha said starting to get irritated.

"As a Harry Potter fan I…"

"IT'S JUST A HYPOTESYS! LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Suddenly a charismatic laugh came from the other side of the room.

“Why are you laughing?” Sowon asked.

“Nothing.” Umji answered still giggling, “Just a funny video I’m watching. That’s all.”

“Okay.” Sowon shrugged and returned her attention to the rest of the girls.

Yerin slipped her back down the wall, tired of a harsh day of practice and of that conversation too. 

“I’m hungry.” she complained looking to the celling.

“I already ordered the food.” SinB warned putting her phone aside.

“But we still don’t know who’s gonna pay!” Eunha said.

“Your problem, not mine.” SinB shrugged.

And the girl got another slap from her oldest unnie.

“Aw! Can you stop?!” she complained.

“Not until you behave!” Sowon answered, strictly, “Now, come one, Yerin! Say this pricklier is your bias already! Eunha needs to take her wallet before our food come!”  

“Or you can choose Yuju so Sowon Unnie can take her wallet.” Eunha interfered.

“I can’t!” Yerin insisted.

“The world will explode if you don’t choose!” Eunha said.

“My head is the one that’s going to explode if you don’t finish this conversation already.” SinB grumpily said.

“Choose the one you’d give the portion so we can know who’s your precious bias is!” Sowon said, also quite tired of that discussion.

“I don’t have one!” Yerin insisted.

“Then think about the situation. Think about who would you’d not be able to live without.” Eunha said.

“But I wouldn’t be able to live without neither of them!” Yerin insisted again, her mind settled as settle could be.

“The world will explode and everyone’s gonna die then.” 

“Pain, frustration, despair.” SinB started, “That’s me right now over this useless discussion.”

“Is this “useless discussion” that’s gonna give you free food.” Sowon reminded her.

“Okay, perhaps not so useless.”

“Yerin Unnie, it’s okay. Give me the portion; I’d be fine knowing everyone was fine.” Yuju said, sweetly.

“But I wouldn’t!” Yerin said.

“I never regretted a bet so much in my life.” Sowon commented while rethinking her life’s choices.

“The world is exploding. Everyone is dying. Every dream, every child, every being…” Eunha started saying with all her acting skills.

“Okay! I got it!” Yerin finally gave up.

She sat straight to give her answer.

“Really? So you made your mind?” 

“Yes.” 

Now all eyes were in Yerin. Like curious cats looking to the mysterious object that was about to move. The girls leaning closer to her, except for Umji, who even though had her eyes and ears carefully waiting for her unnie’s answer, wouldn’t move from the comfortable place in the other side of the room. It would be too hard to hide the fact she was exposing her unnies eccentric discussion for her friends through her phone.

They leaned closer and closer which made her Yerin shrink little by little.

“Can you guys lean back? I’m feeling uncomfortable.” 

“It’s bad right? Get your personal space invaded?” Sowon said not following the younger words.

“This suddenly became a revenge against me, now?” Yerin raised an eyebrow.

All the girls took their distance so the girl could say what she had to say. Well, all except for SinB.

“So…” she started with a smirk, “Who’s your choice?”

“I thought you didn’t care.” Yerin said.

“I don’t, but food is coming and I want to know which of these unnies will cry over its bill.” she shrugged.

“Wait, how much did you spent?!” Sowon asked, worriedly.

“Me, nothing. One of you two, a lot.” 

“SINB!” Sowon was about to slap the girl again, but Eunha held her back.

“Okay, tell us who you choose.” Eunha said to Yerin.

She took a deep breath before releasing her answer.

“Kai, Bai, Bo.”

Confusion filled the room.

“What the heck?!” Sowon said.

“Kai from EXO?” SinB asked.

“Who’s Bai and Bo?” Eunha questioned.

“I respect your choice and love you anyway.” Yuju made sure to say.

“No! Kai, Bai, Bo! I’d make them play it and the one that lose would drink the portion!” Yerin explained.

“You can’t force me to do anything!” SinB said.

“Can you take me some juice?” 

“Mango or Orange?” she asked grumpily while standing up.

“Mango.” she answered with a smile.

“Okay. But you can’t choose by luck.” Eunha said.

“Yes I can, and I would.”

“Here.” SinB gave Yerin her juice and sat by her side again while opening her own bottle.

“I want juice too.” Sowon said.

“Here, take mine. I won’t get up again, I need to food to recharge.” she said giving the oldest her bottle.

“Yerin Unnie, it’s just a hypothetical world, you don’t need to take it so seriously.” Eunha said, “Why is so hard for you to choose?”

“If it was you! Who’d you choose?” Yerin decided to pay back.

“This ain’t about me. The bet wasn’t about me. I don’t even exist in this hypothetical world. LEAVE ME ALONE!”

Eunha whimpered searching for Sowon comfort, but her unnie was too busy drinking her juice and thinking about life.

“This kid wasn’t born to make hard life decisions.” SinB said observing Eunha’s dramatic reaction.

“Yerin Unnie, choose SinB. It’s okay, I promise. I’d obviously miss you so much, but knowing you both were okay and the world safe would be enough for me. Plus, I could still see SinB.”

“YOU HATE ME OR WHAT?!” Eunha busted to Yuju.

“Wait, what?” Yuju got confused.

“I wouldn’t be able to live with myself knowing that I made such choice. I’d rather leave it to luck.” Yerin insisted.

“Okay, okay. Enough with that.” Umji came to rescue.

The maknae hugged the weepy Eunha, and then placed her had on her lap, cuddling the big child’s head.

“Let’s give you more scenarios then. This will help everyone to understand your mind and choices better.” the younger started.

“You mean lack of choices, right?” Sowon said.

Umji just smiled.

“Yerin Unnie, explain us how would be your life in this scenario: all your loved ones were gone, Sowon Unnie, Eunha Unnie and I never existed…”

“What sort of horrifying world is this where a pie like you don’t exist?” Sowon interfered, horrified by that thought.

“A world that almost exploded.” SinB answered.

“Anyways...” Umji giggled, “The only two people you had in your life were SinB and Yuju.”

“You good with sad scenarios.” Eunha said, her voice still weepy.

“Thank you.” Umji giggled.

“The food is almost here.” SinB warned looking to her phone.

“Okay. My point is, I want you to tell us how would be your life without one of them, what would you miss, how would you feel in the daily basis? Let’s start with SinB. How would be your life in this specific scenario without her?”

“Heaven.” Sowon was the one to answer.

SinB fitted her with her eyes.

“You better thank your luck stars that you are my unnie.” she said in a threatening voice.

“I would cry. A lot. Every night and every morning.”

“That’s so sad.” Weepy Eunha said.

“Why would you cry?” Umji decided to ask.

“Because I’m fabulous.” SinB decided to say.

The girls laughed.

“She makes me laugh.” Yerin answered, “She must be grumpy, but she’s caring. I like how grumpy she is. I like when she rejects my affection, even though I know deep down she likes it.”

“I never said that.” SinB made it clear.

“I like how even though she’s younger than me she takes care of me. That she’ll protect me from anyone and anything. She makes me feel safe and loved.”

“This is so sweet that I wanna puke rainbows.” Sowon commented.

Eunha started to hum Rainbow.

“So even though you had Yuju, you wouldn’t be happy?” Umji asked.

“Not completely.”

“What about this life without Yuju? How would it be?”

“Half empty.” she answered, “Because she wouldn’t be there to convince me it was half full.”

“That was deep, bro!” Eunha noted.

The girls laughed over Eunha’s cute attempting to be a “thug”.

“How else would it be?” Umji kept with her strategy.

“Dark without her crazy dances and dorkiness. Waterlogged without her to swap off my tears. Tasteless without her kissed fruits.”

Suddenly, a sniff could be heard.

“What the…” Sowon started but was cut by a vengeful SinB.

“Language!”

“Yerin Unnie is so sweet and profound.” Eunha whimpered, swapping off her own tears.

“I’m sweet and profound too!” Sowon exclaimed.

“Yeah, sure.” SinB said. 

No need to explain it was all sarcasm, right? I mean, it’s SinB.

Umji giggled over Tom and Jerry’s bicker, while Yuju watched Yerin delightful and timid over her kind words.

“The point is that I admire how Yuju would set herself on fire just to give us light, and how SinB would fight a million of ogres just so we could be safe.” Yerin decided to say.

“SinB wouldn’t be able to fight an ogre.” Sowon pointed out.

“I think that’s the point.” Eunha cutely whispered to her.

“Dang, Sowon Unnie! You’re bad with interpretations!” SinB made sure to comment, which made her receive other slap on her leg.

“Aw!”

“Sorry, Sowon Unnie, sorry Eunha, I think you both made a bet over a paradox.” Yerin shrugged.

“Are you sure this is a paradox?” SinB asked.

“I dunno, it is for me.” she shrugged again.

A brief silence appeared in the room.

“Okay, who’s gonna pay the bill then?” Sowon decided to ask.

“The same trio that decided Yerin’s choice: Kai, Bai, Bo.” Umji answered.

The girls took a moment to understand.

“I already hate these three.” Sowon grumbled.

“So they both lost?” SinB asked.

“Yes.” Umji said, “And I won.”

“What the…” Sowon was cut by a vengeful SinB again.

“Language, lady!”

SinB got another slap, but each of them were worthy in her own conception.

“You weren’t part of the bet. Were you?” Eunha asked leaving Umji’s lap.

“Yes, I was. While you both were arguing about Yerin Unnie choosing between Yuju Unnie e SinB, I said she wouldn’t be able to choose neither, but you probably didn’t pay attention because your bickering didn’t allow you.”

“I feel betrayed.” Sowon said.

“I feel used.” Yerin said.

Knocks were heard from the door. Their food had come.

“Kai, Bai, Bo!” 

“DARN IT!” 

“LANGUAGE!” SinB yelled from the door, while taking the food with Yuju and Umji.

That’s right. Sowon had lost.

“Yay!” Eunha celebrated with a cute dance.

Grumpily and rumbling, Sowon took her a wallet and payed for the food, not before almost having a heart attack over the bill’s value though.

She waited the man go away before yell with all her lungs:

“SINB!!!”

“Who told you to make bets over our affections? Now suffer the consequences.” SinB said eating her precious sushi.

“I bet on you!” Sowon reminded her.

The younger shrugged.

“Honestly? A life without any of you wouldn’t be tasty at all.” Yerin said being fed by Yuju with some sushi.

“But what if you never knew us? If we haven’t ever met each other? How miss something you never had?” Eunha asked, apparently more to herself than to her unnie.

“Enough with paradoxes! We didn’t spend a day of training for in our resting time worry our minds with alternative universes!” SinB said being fed by Yerin.

Sowon observed them for a while before stepping closer and open next to SinB waiting for some food.

“What you doing?” SinB asked over her unnie’s weird behave.

“Feed me some sushi.” Sowon said.

“You have two hands, feed yourself.” SinB answered, grumpily.

Sowon slapped her arm.

“AW!”

Umji was giggling while watching her friends. She was just glad that in that reality she had them.