Part 1

silver haze all around (don't know if I'm going up or down)

Seokjin stepped out from the elevator into a hall of utter chaos, loud bangs of commotion echoing across the white hall. Level two of the Ministry of Magic was never the place one would expect to have any sort of tranquility, but the Detection and Confiscation office being at the center of the chaos wasn't something you see everyday.

Well, until someone knocked over a mass of confiscated products on the floor. It was known to happen on occasion, especially if new recruits were in charge of the office.

He hurried past the Aurors office to head into the source of commotion. Only four other Aurors are supposed to be on night patrolling duty tonight, and Seokjin just happened to be on level two. Splendid.

Judging by the looks of it, chaos was a vast understatement. Half of the department was covered with black smoke and the only thing loud enough to hear over were decoying detonators exploding and footsteps of wizards on level one against the white marble floor. The department probably had interns in charge of it because most of the staffs haven't returned from overtime.

Seokjin saw another Auror entering the hall right after him, and they both reached for the wands, muttering spells to lift the cover of thick black fog. They only succeeded partially. Seokjin cursed. Had to be the work of Peruvian instant darkness powder. As the brother of an infamous prankster, he should know by now that trying to lift the fog was pointless at this stage.

"Do you reckon one of the interns cocked up, Seokjin hyung?" Hyungwon wondered.

Seokjin just shrugged; he really didn't want to deal with extra work on a Monday night. He was already exhausted enough as it was.

"Might as well be, Kim Jinwoo hasn't still returned from overtime so he must've left someone in charge. At least that's what I hope it is. You take the right way, I'll take left."

Hyungwon nodded as he flicked his wand in front of him to lift off smoke as he goes.

Both Aurors walked cautiously not to step over running and spontaneously exploding detonators. Seokjin hated this stuff with a passion. It was hard to get rid of them.

After a while he found was someone with a blob of silver hair in ministry official robe curled up under the desk.

Probably one of the new recruits. Seokjin could barely make out the person in the darkness. So he inched closer to him, kneeling down.

The person had his eyes shut tight and was shaking rather violently. Seokjin cast enchantments to see if he was an imposter. When none of his spells revealed anything strange about the employee, he reached out his hands to touch him.

He felt strangely familiar to Seokjin, even though he couldn't still take in his features in the dimly lit hall. He had probably seen person somewhere around the ministry.

"Hey are you okay?" The bloke slowly shook his head, muttering something under clattering teeth.

"Go away."

Seokjin refused. The bloke was in a bad condition and his Auror training could definitely help to improve his conditions. He didn't spend hours studying healing for nothing. But the person wasn't under any curse. Could it be effects of any potion? Maybe he was just anxious from doing overtimes and ended up delirious with overdose of anti-anxiety potions.

"It's okay, I can help you. We met before remember? I won't hurt you."

He slowly lifted his head to glance at Seokjin, as if to identify him.

"Transformation," the bloke replied in a tone barely above a whisper.

"Transformation? You need to be a bit more specific.," he said, a slight panic at his words. Transformation could only apply to non-human wizards and Merlins help if the wizard turns out to be a werewolf. The wizard suddenly let out a groan as he winced in pain.

"I'm a veela. Part veela." Seokjin's eyes widened as realization hit. Veela transformations we're known to be as painful as werewolves one. Thankfully, he never had the opportunity to witness either of those transformations until now.

Hyungwon joined his side as he finally succeeded in lifting the fog and destroyed the remaining detonators. "Should we summon Saint Mungo's healers, Seokjin hyung? We can even take him their."

The guy opened his entrancing silver eyes to look at Hyungwon and shook his head furiously.

"No please, no. They just tie our kind up." The bloke almost growled as sound of clothing tearing apart echoed the hall. He let out another painful scream as scaly wings started coming out of his back. He instinctively reached out and grabbed Seokjin's wrist; almost clawing at it.

He instinctively reached out without even thinking the possibility of ending up with gashes on his arm. Wrapping his other arm around the person, he tried to steady the horribly shaking veela.

"We won't. Look at me, it's gonna pass away soon. Just breathe." The veela locked his eyes with him for the first time. He saw silver specks around his iris slowly starting to dissolve into a shade of charcoal black.

The veela screamed at the top of his lungs in excruciating pain as his wings started to fold and slowly retract into his back. Leaving large gashes on his back where they originally sprout out from. Shimmering silver hair faded away into gold-white as he let out loud sobs.

"This can't be- " the remaining words died on his tongue as the male collapsed onto Seokjin's arms.

Seokjin held him tightly against his chest, cushioning his fall. The last thing the veela heard before blacking out was hurried footsteps and someone with a familiar voice calling out his name.

 

___________________

 

At Aurors training; they teach you about all the incantations, potions, healing spells - almost everything you’d ever need to know to prepare yourself for carrying out orders with a stable and properly mind.

Seokjin always took pride in maintaining composure under dire situations. But now, his mind was in a daze for the past hour. He didn't even know if he should leave but he wanted to make sure the guy was okay.

Kim Jinwoo, the head of Detection and Confiscation office entered the hall seconds after the male passed out. They used magic to lift him up and laid him down in the infirmary. Since Jinwoo insisted his employee hated hospitals, that option was crossed out long ago. However, they couldn't completely heal the large gashes on his back. All they could do right now was to sit and wait till he wakes up.

When Jinwoo and Seokjin were the only ones left inside the infirmary, Jinwoo took a sit beside Seokjin and asked about what happened back there. Seokjin described it in every single detail until Jinwoo stopped him in between his sentences.

"Hang on, you mean to me tell that Taehyung is part veela who happened to be going through a transformation?" Jinwoo's eyes widened.

Taehyung, that must be his name. Seokjin's eyes landed on Taehyung stretched out on a bed upon acknowledging his name. His name was unfamiliar to him though the person himself wasn't.

 

He met Taehyung for the first time exactly two weeks ago on Florence and Flotesco Ice-cream parlor. The whole level two decided to take a break after running errands for a hectic week. Most of the wizards settled for having a hearty dinner while Seokjin gave in to his craving for ice cream. Only one wizard in green ministry robes was seated at the parlor besides himself. Seokjin walked towards his booth.

"Mind if I sit here?" Seokjin used his most persuasively charming voice to spare himself the awkwardness of sitting beside chatty Hogwarts students. The bloke looked up to lock eyes with Seokjin and smiled as he nodded. Seokjin froze in his place at his smile. The person was startlingly good looking with his lanky build, boxy smile, taupe hair and luscious lips.

"My pleasure." Seokjin took the opposite seat while he gulped down a huge spoonful of ice cream, making his lips puff out. Seokjin couldn't help smiling at the scene before him. Handsome and cute.

He never admitted to having a specific type, but if he did this boy would definitely fit in there. He thought it would be appropriate to make conversations while he waits for his order. Anything to distract him from staring at the guy a bit too long.

"Tough day?" Mr. seductive-boxy-smiles chuckled at Seokjin's words.

"Not really. I'm one of the new recruits so the whole department having to run errands means no one to boss us around. " He smiled to himself.

Seokjin remembered his days as one when all he did was running around with frantically and filling reports for over hours every time they gained new information about dark wizards. "Wait till they finish eating. First thing they'll do is assign you all to write the reports." Seokjin chuckled while Taehyung groaned.

"Actually I am supposed to submit them at one pm- Merlin's beard it's already one pm!" Taehyung shuffled to his feet in a hurry; almost knocking down his chair as he shoved the rest of the ice cream in his mouth.

"I'm sorry, I have to leave you Seokjin. I really enjoyed talking with you. Maybe we can do this again another time?"

"Sure. Wait.. how do you know who I am?" Seokjin quirked an eyebrow at him.

"I'll hold on to that information for meeting a second time." He threw a cheeky wink towards Seokjin and sauntered out of the parlor as if he just won a jackpot.

Seokjin couldn't stop thinking about golden skin and deep husky voices for the rest of that day. He couldn't help smiling every time he thought about it either.

 

---------

 

Seokjin almost got lost on his thoughts of the day until Jinwoo called out his name. "Well he didn't really transform per se. Only his eyes and hair went all sliver and his skin looked really pale. When I looked him directly at his eyes though, they slowly turned into their normal shade-" Seokjin got interrupted again.

"Seokjin, do you realize what it means? A veela's transformation stopped when you hugged them. That's something really significant for Taehyung." Jinwoo put a hand on Seokjin's shoulder. Seokjin wanted to let Jinwoo know the only thing he realizes is how they should've taught them some bloody things about veelas in Auror training. And no, I​​​​ have no bloody freaking idea what it means!

"I don't know even know much about veelas." Seokjin shook his head. Jinwoo's eyes widened at realization. A half blood Auror didn't even need to know anything about veelas to go on in their lives, he should be thanking the Lords that Seokjin even recalls the the vague paragraph on them in fifth year. Or else he would be stuck here till dawn explaining the existence of them.

"It's not my place to tell you this but.. you need to know this." Jinwoo closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Veelas have soulmates. Their veela instincts chooses soulmates to find the person who completes them in personality. An other half of them to be precise.”

"Okay. But why are you telling me all this now hyung?" Seokjin couldn't fathom for the love Merlin why Jinwoo would chose this precise moment to mock the absence of his knowledge of veelas. On the job requirement, Care of Magical Creatures wasn't even included.

"Because Seokjin, the only person who can stop the transformation of a veela is their soulmate." Seokjin felt his breath hitching.

Merlin's beard. Veela’s have soulmates?!

"You are his soulmate, Seokjin." Seokjin stares at Jinwoo with bewildered eyes. This can't be happening.

"And what exactly do you mean by that?" He carefully chose his words after he's had time long enough to process what's happening.

"It means you both are tied to each other for life. The veela properties of his blood will seek you out when you are away for him for too long." Jinwoo tore his gaze away from them and stared out the window. The thought of being tied down to Taehyung in a way didn't seem to bother Seokjin, as much as the very idea of being entitled to something he even can't grasp the thought of did. And suddenly the idea of fleeing the scene became very tempting.

"What if one of us doesn't keep up their end of bond or tries to break it?" Seokjin wandered out aloud. He still didn't know who he was asking for, him or Taehyung.

"Then the veela-"

"Hyung.." Taehyung stirred in his bed as he groaned in pain. Seokjin shifted all of his attention from their conversation to the person lying beside them. He felt something prickling at his eyes at the sight. Taehyung's charm and grace was his gift and curse at the same time. He looked beautiful, yet so miserable.

The woman in the infirmary rushed to Taehyung to haul him up from his bed, and made him take a utterly disgusting looking potion to heal him. Seokjin gazed at him while Jinwoo got up from the bed beside Taehyung and sat on Taehyung's bed. Slightly blocking Taehyung's sight so he wouldn't spot Seokjin right away. He wasn't sure if he should let them have a conversation or if he should give both of them some time to think.

Jinwoo looked utterly exhausted. He ruffled Taehyung's hair gently " Taehyung-ah, how do you feel?"

"Like e. My back hurts so much." Taehyung bit the insides of his cheeks to stop more tears from rushing out.

"I shouldn't have left you here all on your own." Jinwoo felt guilty for leaving his friend all alone.

"It would have been the same if you were here. And I'm sorry for the mess hyung. Those bloody decoying detonators were exploding
everywhere! I panicked and knocked down the box of Peruvian instant darkness powder and that's how I ended up getting anxious to ...you know.” Taehyung gave him a tight lipped smile.

"It’s fine. Nothing some Aurors couldn't fix.” Jinwoo gave him a warm smile. “I'm just glad you are okay. Speaking of Aurors, there's someone here to see you." Jinwoo slowly stood up so Taehyung could see Seokjin seated on the bed beside him.

The moment Taehyung looked at him through half lidded eyes and Seokjin watched his quivering lips stretch into a genuine smile, Seokjin felt all thoughts of fleeing the place leave his mind. Suddenly his mind filled up with thoughts of tracing golden skin with his fingertips.

Seokjin smiled back at him. Jinwoo stood up to give them some space alone to take in what just happened. Besides, looking at Taehyung's innocent smile; Jinwoo felt the poor bloke probably doesn't remember any of the incidents taking place hours ago.

It was a lot for both of them to take in; Jinwoo could only hope it works out for the favor of both of them.

"You know you could just walk up to my department and tell me your name instead of going all veela transformation on me," Seokjin smirked at Taehyung who was carefully sipping on water until Seokjin's words made him choke on it. Seokjin rushed to his side and gently patted his back. Taehyung coughed until he had tears forming in his eyes.

"Hey, Taehyung; I was joking. I know you had no control over the situation." Seokjin held Taehyung in his arms and wrapped them around his waist again. Taehyung's cheeks were tinted a slight pink at the close approximation.

"How do you know my name? Did Jinwoo hyung told you? " Seokjin nodded in reply.

"Taehyung, what happened back there?” Seokjin didn't know how to break this to him; hell he didn't even know what to make out of this situation. So he decided to let Taehyung figure this out eventually and help along the way.

“Okay, so I was checking confiscated magical belongings. Some of them were of Hogwarts students so I didn't thought much of it. I saw those decoying detonators and elevated them; what I didn't figure was these stuff now has timer on them and are going to start multiplying at that time anyway.” Taehyung started moving his hands around frantically while telling Seokjin of the events.

“Okay, so you remember telling me that you are a veela?”

“Yes, but I think I out after that. Can you tell me what happened after that?” Taehyung looked at him with hopeful eyes. Lord save me.

“ Well ... your wings started coming out and you were screaming in pain so I hugged you without thinking of any other way to help you calm down. And.. your transformation.. stopped.” Taehyung’s eyes widen at Seokjin's words.

“You did what?” Taehyung gasped as he felt shivers run down his spine.

“I stopped your veela transformation.”

“Which makes you my.. Merlins what have I done-” Teardrops streaked down Taehyung's cheeks. Seokjin slowly reached out his hands and wiped the stray tears away. Taehyung shifted his gaze from Seokjin to his hands. When his expression of guilt suddenly turned into something close to horror, Seokjin followed his gaze and realized what Taehyung was looking at.

“Did I- do that? Did I hurt you?” Seokjin mentally cursed himself for not being more careful on hiding the scar.

“What? No! You didn't hurt me Taehyung, you probably couldn't even see me in the darkness. And it's just a scratch.” Seokjin covered his hand by pulling his sleeve down to keep it out of Taehyung's eyesight.

Taehyung suddenly let out a sob and covered his face with his still shivering hands. ”I’m so sorry. I never wanted this to happen to you.”

"It's okay, Taehyung you didn't get to make the decision.” He shook his head with tears in his eyes.

“But it really is my fault. I should've just stayed away-” Taehyung's voice sounded like it was breaking. Seokjin trailed his hand up and down his arms in a soothing motion as he fixed his stare on the floor. It was heartbreakingly painful to watch Taehyung at the moment. “Seokjin.” Seokjin looked up to meet his eyes which were a deep shade of brown. “I just want you to know, you have a choice. Heck I don't even know whether you have someone or not-”

“But I don't. Have someone you know.” Seokjin tried to assure him that he didn't just chose someone already taken. Seokjin understood why Taehyung looked so guilt ridden with the thought, but somehow he didn't find the idea of staying beside Taehyung uncomfortable.

“Just.. think about it okay? Promise me you'll think about it without diving headfirst into anything. Without feeling any sense of obligation.” Seokjin felt vaguely confused now. Does Taehyung mean he didn't have a choice in the first place? Does he want me to be sure that I accept this- whatever you call this. “Seokjin, please promise me this.”

“I promise.” Seokjin gave his word though he had no idea what in Heavens Taehyung is saying right now.



 Author's Notes: thanks to one of my most favorite Taejin fic author for being my knight in shining armor (aka beta reader) @airiblu ^-^
1.The very idea of this fic came the moment I saw Taehyung in taupe - sliver- brownish hair. My bias is a ethereal angel I swear.
2.Also Seokjin as a Auror seemed really fitting.

3. Last but not least, if you are still confused about their blood purity; Seokjin is a half blood while Taehyung is a pureblood wizard.

4.Dedicated to all the taejin stans, especially to the one who got me into it. I only remember that he was a German igot7, Bless him.

5. This could very well be the last fic I write because I won't be able to afford the luxury of any time off in the upcoming two years. As for my unfinished fic, fear not my friends for I shall complete it eventually.

6. Appreciation in any form is always appreciated.

7. Since this was supposed to be posted on Taejin week, my sincere apologies for not being able to participate in it

8. All the information about veelas and Ministry of Magic is taken from hpwiki

9. Feel free to ask me about anything down below, or you can find me on Tumblr @taeoverflowers