The First Encounter

Intrigued
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just finished with the first of many rushes that will be arriving today. That's how my job always has been; a busy work environment. It's what I grew comfortable with. The rushes made my shift go by faster and it distracted me from my problems at home. I took a deep breath and grabbed my bottle of water. I opened the cap and as I was about to take a sip, I heard the bell on the door ring. I smiled wide and welcomed the unfamiliar figure. He bowed slightly and placed his hands in the pocket of his hoodie, walking over to the fridge full of dairy. I finally took the much needed sip of water while he was inspecting the fridge.

A glimpse of joy appeared on his face as he found what he had been looking for: a carton of banana milk. He grinned with the carton of milk in his hand and walked over to the aisle full of snacks. I examined him and tried to get an idea of who he was like I did with the rest of my customers. The amount of times that I saw a regular enter the store and rushed to the cigarettes was ridiculous, but I thought of it as a skillful trait. 

"Hello? Hello!!" I shook my head and look over the counter of my register and frowned internally. It was a regular, and not the good kind. This customer was notorious for holding up the line, spending minutes to find change. Either that, or she would always wait until the last minute to ask to remove items. I didn't have the authority to remove items. I would have to call my manager to assist me as much as I hated to bother her over a small issue. This wouldn't have happened if I had just accepted the promotion I was given a while ago.  But I didn't want to demote back to a regular sales associate once college started.

"Hi! Are you ready?," I asked with a grin on my face. She rolled her eyes at me and threw her items on the counter.

"Of course I'm ready

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter