chapter 5

Love or Dreams?

Sohee's POV

Today is the day of the contest. While we were practicing, tension was felt in the air. Myungsoo kept trying to perfect the strumming but his hand was trembling with fear. I could feel his nervousness which makes me nervous too. I started to tap my hands because I felt restless.

 

Eunbyeol and Junmyeon went inside our practice room to cheer us up. "Here Sohee the tea you drink when you have to sing. And Myungsoo here is something to calm your nerves down." Junmyeon handed us our drinks. He really knows what to give me because he was always present when I prepare for the contest. I really have supportive friends. I actually sent him an SOS because Myungsoo was making me nervous. "I have to go. I just sneaked out of the venue just to cheer you guys up. Myungsoo! Breathe. By the way you guys have to go to the auditorium to prepare. Eunbyeol fix Sohee's make up."

 

"Yes yes we get it Mr. Pres come on you'd be disqualified if you stay even longer!" I waved good bye. He ran fast just to go to the venue.

 

 Myungsoo and I went backstage to prepare he was very nervous. I grabbed his cheeks "Yah Kim Myungsoo breathe. Don't be too nervous" even if I told him to snap out of it, he was still trembling with nervousness. "Myungsoo! The more nervous you are, the more that you are at the risk of making more mistakes"

 

"Sorry this is my first time to compete in a contest. I don't know how to calm my nerves." He was out of breath and when I touched his hand, it was very cold.

 

"Kim Myungsoo do you want to know how I calm myself during contests?" I asked.

 

"How?" He looked desperate. He wanted to know.

 

"I just think of this as a practice so I enjoy myself. If I ever make mistakes, I'll let it pass first because it would be obvious if I panic. Just think about what makes you happy." I told him. That's my secret why I look carefree while performing. Only Junmyeon knows when I get nervous. But for other people, they won't notice because I try to keep my cool.

 

"Thanks!" He took a deep breath and I held his hand to calm his self.

 

We were called to go up on stage. I patted his back for encouragement. I took a deep breath before entering the stage.

 

We finally set our position and started to sing. I told Myungsoo not to stare at the audience because he'd feel the tension and just either look at the guitar or look at me. I just enjoyed the whole performance I would not mind if I made a mistake. I looked at Myungsoo and he looked very different. He was already enjoying the performance unlike our rehearsals. I think my technique worked.

 

We did a high five after performing and it was weird that I did not find it awkward unlike last time. We had to wait after every performance is done to know the result of the contest. I was not expecting anything because this would just serve as my practice for my real audition.

 

Only 3 more performers then we could know the winners. Myungsoo started to become restless again. I wanted to hit him because he kept circling around and he makes me dizzy.

 

 I understand him because I was like that when I started competing in various contests just like this. And I can say I consider myself a pro already because I win in almost every contest I enter. Sometimes I don't put effort there but I still win. If I don't win it's just because I did not take the contest seriously and just do it for fun.

 

The performances was already done. It's time to announce the winners. We came back on the stage. They started to announce the finalist. And we were part of the finalist. "Among the finalist there will be only one winner." The host will now announce the winners. Myungsoo looked like he was going to faint because of the pressure he was feeling now. "And the winners are Kim Sohee and Kim Myungsoo! Congratulations!"

 

Myungsoo lost his strength in his legs and dropped on the floor when the host announced that we won. I helped him get up and hugged him. I whispered "You did great you deserved it" then he hugged me too. It was not awkward at all. I just felt happy.

 

We went back to our dressing room to get our things and change. Eunbyeol came in running and hugged the both of us. "Congrats! By the way, I got a text from Mr. Pres and he said he'd treat us for dinner and I'd treat you guys for dessert." I really got some sweet friends right here. And I also made a new friend which is Myungsoo

 

The 3 of us headed out and met Junmyeon at the restaurant. "Congrats for the 3 of us! This is the celebration because Sohee, Myungsoo and I won a contest!" He treated us with Japanese food. It was so delicious. We spent the whole time talking then we changed venues for dessert.

 

"Now Bingsu is from me! Since my 3 friends won I want to treat you guys a lot of food." Eunbyeol brought us to our favorite bingsu place and started to dig in. I did not eat much because I'm on a diet. "Yah! Kim Sohee there is no such thing as DIETS when it comes to celebration! You deserve it! You haven't been eating a lot what if you get sick?" Eunbyeol is right. It's time to dig in and eat the whole bingsu!

 

Junmyeon and Eunbyeol were already picked up by their own chauffeurs so Myungsoo and I were left there. My chauffeur got fired because of his long leaves and he was just faking his illness so our new chauffeur is still training so nobody would pick me up. I have to ride the bus. At least I'm not alone. Myungsoo is here.

 

We both rode the bus and he automatically sat beside me without me even asking him to do so. "Myungsoo you were great today. I enjoyed playing with you. I hope we can play together again." I said.

 

"You're welcome. I too enjoyed being with you." He smiled.

 

"Can we be friends?" I asked.

 

"Why not?" He answered. I'm happy having him as a friend. Now I don't believe first impressions last because he is completely different from my first impression on him.

 

So let's start over. I offered my hand "Hi my name is Kim Sohee. Nice to meet you."

 

He also shook my hand and introduced himself "Hi. I'm Kim Myungsoo! Nice to meet you."

 

Myungsoo's POV

I don't know what to do! Today is the day of the contest. I feel so nervous.  I don't think I can handle this.

 

I walked round and round because I can't think straight. When I try to play the chords I keep on making the same mistake again and again. I think Sohee can also feel my pressure.

 

Thankfully Junmyeon and Eunbyeol went to our practice room and brought us drinks to calm us down. It was effective at first. But when we headed to the auditorium I feel the nervousness coming back.

 

Sohee told me her secret in competitions. She told me not to imagine there are audiences but think of it as a practice. She told me to think of the things that makes me happy. I took a deep breath and entered the stage with her.

 

I just stared at her while singing. She was signaling me to enjoy so I closed my eyes. I imagined things that make me happy. The first thing that came in to my mind was when we were practicing and she demonstrated what the song should feel like so she played the piano. I don't know why it popped up in my head but I just find that moment heart warming and I could see her face happy. I enjoyed the performance.

 

When we were done I felt light. But when they said that there will only be 4 performances more then the winner will be announced. I felt my heart drop. I started to get nervous.

 

When the performances were done we were asked to stand on stage and they will call out the finalists. I was shocked that we were part of the finalist. I was already contented.

 

But when they announced that we were the winners my legs lost strength. Sohee helped me up. I still can't believe we won!

 

At the backstage we did a high five. And for the first time it was not awkward. She also hugged me and complimented me. I felt warm.

 

Junmyeon treated us for dinner obviously I got my favorite Udon noodles and Eunbyeol treated us for dessert. After the small celebration we headed home. Sohee and I rode the bus together.

 

Sohee thanked me again and she asked if we could be friends as in real friends. I was shocked but I also want to be friends with her too.