chapter 2

every magical person has a costume (and a love interest)

When Jihoon asks Woojin to come over after school and then shows him his magical boy self, his friend laughs at him for a solid five minutes, complete with Woojin clutching his stomach in pain and crying actual tears at the physical effort required to laugh at Jihoon's plight.

Jihoon glares at him, his entire face hot with embarrassment, and Woojin doesn't (or can't ) stop even when the magical boy brandishes what Sungwoon creatively dubbed the Pink Heart Sword.

"Jihoonie, this is too much even for your fashion terrorist ," Woojin is saying in between rolling on the floor and holding his arms up to protect himself against the sword.

"Shut up! I never should've told you," Jihoon whines. He kicks Woojin  before sitting down on the bed in his poofy shorts. 

Jihoon knows by now that doing anything not magical boy-like, such as telling someone to shut up, was the key to summoning Sungwoon, so he isn't as surprised as Woojin is when the small man appears angrily to scold him. 

"Is that your creature?" Woojin asks Jihoon in a scream.

That made sense. Magical girls had cute creatures that told them to do things, and Sungwoon bossed him around a lot. Still, it made Jihoon laugh at Sungwoon looking more pissed than ever, complaining about how a side character was slandering his y creature self.

-

Being a magical boy was tedious. Jihoon has to transform everyday after school to stop bank robberies, help old people cross the road, reprimand baddies who vandalized newly-painted walls... It wasn't like there were any real bad guys or monsters like in magical girl shows.

"Hyung, have you heard about that magical boy that's been seen around recently?"

Jihoon chokes on his fried chicken and gets into a coughing fit: a sight that really isn't something anyone would want their crush to see. Guanlin, ever the angel, hands him a cup of coke and slaps his back repeatedly. All this while Jihoon's apparent best friend Woojin was snickering at his suffering.

"A magical boy?" Jihoon feigns interest once he's managed to stop coughing like an idiot long enough to thank Guanlin for his efforts to keep him alive. He hopes there are other magical boys that have been seen around recently aside from his ruffled .

Guanlin nods. "They say he has pink hair!"

Well, .

"There were photos but I think he can blur pictures with his magical picture blurring powers." Guanlin's lower lip is jutting out in a pout that has Jihoon wanting to coo at how cute he is, but that would make his crush obvious. Stay cool, Jihoon. Stay cool. "Or maybe he's just really fast? I think it's magical picture blurring powers though."

"I heard it was something that all magical people have!" Hyeongseob stops staring at Woojin adoringly to say. "So their secret identities aren't revealed. That's cool! Isn't that cool? But not as cool as Woojin." He beams and makes a finger heart at Woojin, who makes a heart with his arms over his head in return. The two of them are disgusting.

Jihoon looks at the photos Guanlin shows him on his phone and he is absolutely mortified at the apple hair being the most distinguishable thing. Also, the poofy shorts made him look fat.

-

The first time Jihoon encounters Guanlin as Knightwink is one quiet night, when Jihoon is just sitting around on some restaurant's roof waiting for trouble to happen (or not happen so he can just go home and play video games for the rest of the night like a normal boy).

I don't like girls please leave me alone, I don't like girls please leave me alone, I don't like girls please leave me alone...

Jihoon follows the voice to see Guanlin being surrounded by a bunch of girls on his way home.

"Go on one date with us," one girl was pushing. Guanlin looks thoroughly uncomfortable, hiding his face with the pink scarf around his neck, and Jihoon wants to fight the girls and also Guanlin for looking so perfect.

What should he even do in this situation? He had a sword but what use would that be against fangirls.

"HEY!" He yells as loud as he can instead. The girls look at him and he winks once with his left eye and twice with his right eye. He takes Guanlin's wrist when the girls are down, luckily fangirl hearts were fragile to his winking powers, and they run away as far as they can.

The two of them are out of breath once they stop in front of a convenience store, and Jihoon remembers that he has the power to jump high and far and that would've saved them all of this effort. He feels like an idiot.

But then Guanlin is smiling at him.

"Thank you," the younger boy says fondly, further cementing his role as Magical Boy Park Jihoon's Love Interest. "Do you want me to buy you coffee or something? I need to thank you properly."

"It's all in a day's work," Jihoon replies in what he hopes is a cool manner. About as cool as he can in the most embarrassing costume ever.

Guanlin buys him coffee anyway and introduces himself. Jihoon already knows his name and birthday and blood type and hobbies and interests, but he acts like he's meeting Guanlin for the first time. The two of them drink coffee at the convenience store parking lot, Guanlin confiding in Jihoon that he's been having a rough time since he came to Korea and ended up having a lot of fangirls, before Jihoon has to say goodbye.

"You haven't even told me your name yet," Guanlin says sadly.

"Knight Wink," Jihoon says, making sure to leave a pause between Knight and Wink so he doesn't call himself a .

"Knightwink," Guanlin repeats with a smile. Jihoon is suddenly okay with the name. What he's not okay with is Guanlin slowly moving closer to him, making his heart drop to his stomach and do acrobatic acts as Guanlin wraps his fluffy pink scarf around his neck. "It's cold lately so please dress warmly and take care of yourself before others."