A Special One

Flowers for Jonghyun

Jongin's fingers deftly twisted and folded the crisp white paper. He was glad his fingers knew what to do because tears blurred his vision.

He sat cross-legged on the floor in EXO's practice room. Surrounding him were hundreds of intricate paper flowers. The edges of some turned upward, warped by tears.

Kyungsoo walked in quietly and sat next to him. He picked up a stack of paper and began to fold.

Breaking the silence Jongin sighed, "Kyungsoo, I still remember the first day I met him. I was being introduced to everyone in the company and I remember being so impressed by Kim Jonghyun. He was talented, confident, kind, and y. He was everything I wanted to be.

I remember he shook my hand firmly and warmly, 'You're a special one,' he said to me, 'Us Kims always are.'"

Jongin crushed the flower in his hand, "How come we didn't know? How come he didn't reach out? s would have helped them, we would have helped him!"

Kyungsoo looked out the window, "Sometimes, when you're sick no matter how much you want to you can't ask for help. Sometimes you feel cut off, like you're stuck in a glass cage looking at the rest of the world."

"Or sometimes," Jongin whispered, "You're a spectacle in that glass cage for others to look at. It's like these flowers: they're beautiful but they're made with pain. Our fans see the beauty but we feel the pain."

Kyungsoo nodded, "That's why we have to share our pain. It's tough being an idol, we all hurt no matter how big we smile. Jonghyun hyung dealt with his pain alone, but he didn't have to, no one should have to."

Kyungsoo reached out and hugged Jongin tightly. They held each other in the midst of the flowers.


Shawols x EXO-Ls x Kpoppers = One

We are one.