you're too late

you're too late

 You’re too late.

Her subconscious screamed at her. Wendy suppressed the voice and squeezed her eyes shut. Then she opened them to see Jennie walking in with another boy in tow. He was dressed in a full-piece suit. She didn’t even need anyone to tell her who that boy was. She just knew.

“Guys, this is Bartlett, my boyfriend.”

They could barely hear her since they were all busy hanging among themselves and catching up on old times. But Wendy heard her perfectly.

You’re too late.

Ever since she’d come back and saw Jennie, that voice had never shut up and Wendy had to fight the urge to bang her head against the wall just to shut it up.

She squirmed in her seat as she watched Jennie, Lisa and Rosé perform Toxic. She clenched her thighs tighter and swallowed. Previously, before she’d had ual experiences, she wouldn’t have understood what being means. But now, she perfectly understood the concept. And she realized that she’d experienced this a dozen times before whenever she watched Jennie perform.

And she wondered to herself how she could be so oblivious.

She cast a surreptitious glance at the boyfriend and nearly toppled over when she saw him texting when his girlfriend was performing what could be the hottest number she’d ever performed. What the hell was up with this guy? Wendy gave him a full survey and concluded that he must’ve been one of those preppy kids who didn’t even know what being in public school felt like.

Then she noticed Hoon glaring at the preppy boy as well from the piano. And she understood instantly. Her breath caught and she turned back to watching The Unholy Trinity. She felt her blood rushing in her veins. She heard her heart pounding.

And not in a good way.

You’re too late.

She ignored that voice as her eyes stayed on Jennie as HeeYoung told her the truth about her Prom Queen nomination last year. She knew something was fishy. She just couldn’t figure out what.

Jennie couldn’t look her in the eyes as HeeYoung went ranting off about some rubbish. Her eyes narrowed at the blonde and when HeeYoung was done, Wendy gave her a piece of her mind before she ran out of the choir room and into the bathroom.

She cried for her own obliviousness. She cried for her own blindness. She cried for the fact that she could be so ignorant of all the signs all those years back then when Jennie had been trying so hard to get her to notice.

You’re too late.

“Motherf-” she stopped herself and clenched her jaw. She leaned against the bus and closed her eyes, inhaling and exhaling as if she was taking breathing exercises. “Shut up,” she then muttered.

She was planning on going back in the building when she heard noises from where the dumpster was located. She frowned and crept in that direction. She paused when she saw Hoon’s silhouette stalking towards there. She pursed her lips and followed, but stopped at the corner as she watched Jennie begging her boyfriend and Hoon watching.

“—just a dirty bag.”

Wendy muffled her laugh with her hand when Jennie clipped the boy’s lean nose with her knuckles and he keeled over, wailing in pain. She would have kept laughing if it wasn’t for the suddenness of Hoon surging forward and punching Bartlett in the face. And it broke out into a full brawl. She wanted to help Jennie diffuse the situation before Hoon threw the boy in the dumpster.

Then Hoon started yelling at her for the whole friendship thing and about how Jennie was better than Bartlett and Wendy couldn’t help but approve even though she knew this all wouldn’t turn into her favor. Not that anything was in her favor to start with.

Then Hoon stalked in her direction and she had no time to hide herself. He gave her a curt nod on his way out and then he just walked away. Wendy stared at Jennie’s back for a moment and decided she should leave Jennie and Bartlett alone to talk things out.

 You’re too late.

--------------------

Read the rest on my BlackVelvet Tumblr blog! It's called BlackVelvetShipShots. Here is the url: https://blackvelvetshipshots.tumblr.com/. Enjoy!