To Build a Tent

To Build a Tent

Rosé had no idea why anyone would subject themselves to this horror; she stared down at the mess of canvas and poles at her feet, trying to will them into forming a tent on their own.  In theory helping a bunch of underprivileged kids try new experiences had been a great idea. She just hadn’t realized that it would involve camping.

Her dad never let her go camping.

Too many bears.

Now she was stuck trying to look like she knew what she doing in front of a group of kids and a handful of other counselors.

Taking a deep breath, Rosé nodded and grabbed at the tent poles. Easy enough. She quickly snapped all of the segments into place, creating long poles where once had been tiny piles of plastic. Trying to hold all of the poles at once, she looked back down at the flat piece of canvas for any indication as to where they might go. Nothing looked promising.

Maybe if she saw what she was supposed to do it would help.

Looking to her left, Rosé let her gaze land on one of her co-counselors and new neighbour. Park Sooyoung. All leather pants and dark hair and bone structure that gave Rosé a bad case of the gay. She let her eyes linger for just a moment and then they moved to the tent.

Her jaw dropped.

Joy was nearly done. She’s arrived the same time as Rosé, swaggering out of her car with the tent slung over her shoulder and aviators hiding her eyes. Now all Rosé had were some poles and Joy nearly had a complete tent. As she watched, Joy grabbed one one of her tent poles that was already somehow attached to the tent, leaned on it and boom, it somehow snapped into place. Joy completed the action three more times with three different poles and suddenly a complete tent stood before her.

Joy wiped her hands, leather pants still immaculate.

Rosé could feel dirt from the poles crusting on her arms.

Then Joy turned and caught her staring. “Problem?” Joy called.

Her voice was all kinds of y and Rosé spun around, blush on her cheeks, “What? Nope. No problem here. Just building my tent. For you know, camping. Because who wants to sleep on the grass right? Got to have a tent. Which is why I’m building one.”

“Alright cutie,” Joy’s voice was closer than she expected, “I didn’t mean to get in the way of your tent-making. Just, I always have a policy of checking in on pretty girls who stare at me. ”

Rosé looked over her shoulder and Joy had moved her aviators to the top of her head, giving Rosé a wink.

Rosé whipped back around, “I wasn’t staring.”

“Sure.” Joy said.

Ignoring her, Rosé frowned at the tent and grabbed the fabric. She started slipping one of the poles into a slit in the fabric that looked like it might be right.

“That’s not right.”

Rosé ignored her and kept shoving it in.

“That’s not right.” Joy repeated.

Rosé didn’t turn around, “Self righteous smug commentators can keep their opinions to themselves.”

“It’s hardly an opinion when I’m correct,” Joy said, “That’s the wrong spot. You put it together like that and the whole thing is going to collapse.”

“Maybe you just don’t understand my advanced tent making skills,” Rosé said. She grabbed a second pole, squinted at it, and shoved it in another slit.

“Oh,” Joy’s voice somehow took on even ier rumble, “I understand all kinds of things, cupcake. All the right buttons to push and where to insert things with a certain degree of finesse. I would be so unfortunate for everything to come tumbling down in the middle due to trying to force it.”

Rosé’s cheeks warmed and she just grabbed another pole as she squeaked out, “I know how to build a tent.”

“I’m sure,” Joy said, “But it never hurts to take a few more lessons.”

If a smirk could be a voice, it was Joy’s.

--------------------------

Read the rest on my BlackVelvet Tumblr blog! It's called BlackVelvetShipShots. Here is the url: https://blackvelvetshipshots.tumblr.com/. Enjoy!