greatest night

greatest night

“No,” Yeri says, without looking up from her phone. She’s pretending to text someone, because a) she has an image to uphold, and b) because Jisoo has been texting someone for the last hour. It’s not fair that her best friend (and unrequited crush) could laugh and flirt with someone and not at least tell her who. She smacks her lips together, scrolls a bit further down the Facebook app. She skims a rant that Yun has posted about feminism and smiles.

Yun hadn’t always been this outspoken or brave, but social media had surprisingly given her a lot of confidence. Yeri hears Baek’s huff and she looks at him now.

“What, BaekHyeon?”

“If you could just put your phone down for one goddamn minute maybe you could have some crazy life-changing moment,” he mutters. She locks her phone screen before setting it deliberately onto the table. Yeri gives Baek her full attention. Facebook was getting boring anyway, and he sounded pretty peeved with her. Baek coughs, and looks at Jisoo expectantly. She looks up, startled with her eyes wide like Bambi. She mumbles an apology and tucks her phone away. “Thank you.”

“You want us to do what exactly?” Yeri asks, tilting her head. She tries not to think about the fact that Jisoo has moved her feet to play with hers under the table.

“A scavenger hunt! C’mon, I asked Lumiere to set it up for us, and he’s proud of all the work he put into it.” Baek pouts, and Yeri wants to remind him how unattractive that looks (well, it doesn’t, but it should). “Please, guys?”

“Who else is doing it?” Jisoo asks, looking at Baek with uncertainty written all over her face. She’s probably worried she’ll be late to meet her mysterious texting buddy or something. (For the record, Yeri is not jealous. Not really. Well. Maybe a little bit. But Kim Yerim does not do jealousy or clinginess.)

Baek grins, because he already knows that Jisoo will have a damn hard time saying no. “Arin, Charlie, Kate, Midge, Yun, Dilton, Chuck and Nancy, Josie and Melody. Sabrina and Harvey might join us. I even called Harper to see if she’d wanna join, but she has a date with her girlfriend.”

“Girlfriend?” Yeri repeats, surprised.

“Yeah. You…you didn’t know?” Baek shrugs. “She’s with that Samantha Smythe girl from her school. The one who Bingo follows around like a lost puppy?”

“I didn’t realize. Good for her,” Yeri says, putting her perfected smile on her face. How the hell could Harper not have come out to her? She bites down on her tongue, because it’s the only way she’ll allow herself to express annoyance right now.

“Chack and Elise?”

“In and counted for,” Baek says to Jisoo. “It’s really just you two, and the only reason it took me so long to ask is because…well, to be honest, I just assumed. And then Charlie asked me about teams and I realized that I hadn’t asked yet.”

Yeri frowns now.

Jisoo looks at her, hope filling her face. “Yeri? What do you think?”

What does it matter what I think? Yeri wants to snap. Because you’re seeing someone else, even though we kissed at Midge’s birthday party six months ago. Even though you know how I feel about you.

Instead, she hesitates.

“C’mon. It could be fun,” Jisoo tries. “You never know - this could be one of the greatest nights of our lives.”

Yeri shrugs. “Sure, fine, whatever. When is it?”

“Tonight.”

“To–night? Baek!”

“Yeah. Everyone’s waiting in the park across the street. C’mon. I’ll pay for your dinners.” Baek turns to talk to Phil at the counter. Yeri looks up at Jisoo, unsure what to expect. Jisoo, in true Jisoo-fashion, gives her a bright smile. “Oh, this is perfect! What a lovely spur-of-the-moment thing to do.”

“Well, it sounds like Baek’s been planning this for a while. So not so spontaneous.”

“Yeri, come on. You’ve been so moody lately. This will be good for you. Help you relax and get your mind off your dad’s job offer,” Jisoo tells her, leaning forward to put her hand on Yeri’s. She curls her fingers around hers and then squeezes. “Let’s forget about everything else and have a good time.”

“Okay.”

-------------------------

Read the rest on my BlackVelvet Tumblr blog! It's called BlackVelvetShipShots. Here is the url: https://blackvelvetshipshots.tumblr.com/. Enjoy!