Chapter 9

An Affair To Remember (ChanBaek version, some KaiSoo)

The ride home from the dock was uncomfortable to say the least. Kris and Baekhyun sat on opposite sides of the backseat.

"Have a good trip?" Kris asked not even looking up from his cell phone.
 
"Like you even give a damn." Baekhyun responded watching the scenery as it flew by the window.
 
"Not even thirty minutes and you're going to start this again?" Kris complained.
 
Baekhyun turned away from the window. "No. I'm done. I'm going to be moving out."
 
"Oh geez, why do you always have to be so dramatic?" Kris griped.
 
"Why do you always have to be such a ?" Baekhyun snapped back, grateful that there was a privacy window between them and the driver.
 
Once inside the apartment Baekhyun went to their room and started to pack.
 
"Where do you think you're going?" Kris asked. "You can't just move out as soon as you get home."
 
Baekhyun sighed. "Fine. I'll be taking the guest room, but I want out. You do whatever you have to do for the company, but get it done quickly."
 
"Such a drama queen." Kris mumbled as he plopped down on the couch to watch his sports programs.
 
Baekhyun sat on their bed. It smelled like perfume. 'God damn it Kris! You couldn't even change the damn sheets?!' he cursed under his breath. Gathering his things, he moved across the hall. Baekhyun didn't have the energy to do more than take a nap. As he drifted off to sleep, he wondered how Chanyeol was fairing. He wanted to text him, but they'd agreed to give each other the full six months to take care of things, so he would honor that.
~~~~~
Chanyeol watched Baekhyun get into the black car with Kris. He didn't look like the spunky diva that he fell in love with. His shoulders slumped, his head hung down, and he trailed behind Kris by a good three steps. Flash. Click. Chanyeol's attention returned to the people taking photos. He posed with Suho, answering the usual questions, careful to avoid anything about their wedding. Finally they were ushered into a company car and driven to their separate apartments.
 
"How was your trip?" Suho asked.
 
"It was good." Chanyeol said. After a few minutes he added "I think we should talk."
 
 "Oh? Shall we have dinner then? Suho asked curiously.
 
Chanyeol nodded, taking his hand in his and giving a light squeeze.
 
Suho knew him well enough to know what this gesture meant. It was meant to confirm their friendship. The many times they had worked together, when he had needed a friend, he would grab his hand like that. He had always let him. Theirs was a comfortable relationship. That was why when the company suggested that they become engaged, they decided to go along with it. There could be worse things than to marry a friend. However, he sensed something was 'off' with Chaneyol. "Are you okay?"
 
"I'm fine. I just have some things to talk to you about. Shall I pick you up at 8:00?" he asked.
 
"No. I'll cook. Just come by my apartment. Use the back door, there aren't any cameras."
 
Chanyeol nodded. "Okay."
 
They dropped Suho off first before finally pulling up in front of his apartment. Chanyeol's manager handed him the schedule of events for the next week as he was getting out of the car. Thankfully, he didn't have anything planned for a couple of days. He was exhausted. Once inside, he went straight to his bed and fell face first into the pillows. Taking a deep breath, his body started to relax, allowing him to go to sleep, a pair of droopy eyes haunting his dreams.
~~~~~
During the first couple of months, Baekhyun had stayed sequestered in the guest room not doing much of anything. Not having to attend functions with Kris any longer, he soon got bored and decided to sign up for painting classes. Little by little he began to get 'phased' out of the Wu Corporation, being replaced by Kris's intern. Surprisingly, there wasn't too big of a public outcry, perhaps because, although Baekhyun was beautiful and charming, he was still, after all, a male. Baekhyun assumed it was easier for the people in Kris's world to accept a female partner for the heir of such an important company. It still hurt his pride that he could be replaced so easily, but then, he was grateful that the transition was going smoothly. Baekhyun, although not proud of it, had taken a settlement in exchange for avoiding any and all media. (Not that he would have said anything anyway, but nonetheless, he had been forced to take the money by their lawyer.) Baekhyun used the money to get his own place, and put some in the bank. He even had enough to buy his own gallery in downtown Seoul.
~~~~~
Chanyeol had been right. Baekhyun was able to see photos and stories of him everywhere. As the release of his new CD came closer, there were signing events, and fan meets scheduled only blocks from Baekhyun's gallery. He didn't dare go, for fear that somehow their connection would be discovered. However, he did manage to have Kai go on one of his free days, and slip Chanyeol the sim card containing the photos of them together on the ship, when they shook hands at a signing event. Chanyeol gave him a signed copy of his latest CD. He had written, 'Hope to have you Baek in my arms again. Yours always,Yeol' 
 
Kai smiled and bowed. "Thank you hyung." he said. "This will mean a lot to...me." he caught himself. He then reached out his hand for Chanyeol to shake, and when the older did, he felt Kai slip something into the palm of his hand. He quickly put it in his pocket without looking to see what it was. His heart did a flip. Whatever it was, it was from Baekhyun. He just knew it. The rest of the event went by in a blur, Chanyeol couldn't concentrate on anything except getting home to see what Baekhyun had sent him.
~~~~~
After going to the event, Kai made Baekhyun close the gallery and took him shopping to get his mind off of Chanyeol. (Not that, that was possible....)
 
"Thanks Kai." Baekhyun said as they sipped bubble tea outside in the courtyard, surrounded by their shopping bags. "You always know how to cheer me up."
 
"That's what best friends are for!" Kai said cheerily. "Have you signed up for any dance classes?"
 
Baekhyun shook his head. "No, I've been busy with running the gallery and painting. I had one last event to go to for Kris and his family. It's safe to say, we're "officially" not an item anymore."
 
"Hyung, that's great! I mean...it's not....but it is!" Kai said putting his arm around Baekhyun's shoulders.
 
"How was Yeol when you saw him?" Baekhyun asked, slightly blushing.
 
Kai's eyes popped wide open. "OMO! I almost forgot!" Digging in his bag he pulled out the CD and gave it to him.
 
Baekhyun's mouth dropped open and he hit Kai on the shoulder. "Yah! How could you forget this!!" he yelled. He read what Chanyeol had written, his hands trembling a bit. 'He still loves me!' he thought to himself, his heart beating a bit faster.
 
"Awww, you're blushing! How cute!!!" Kai teased his friend. Baekhyun elbowed him in the ribs.
 
 
"Did you give him the card? Did he say anything?" Baekhyun asked anxiously, eager for any news.
 
Kai gave a final slurp of his drink and tossed the empty cup into the waste bin. "Yes, I gave it to him, and he asked if I was painting."
 
Baekhyun grinned from ear to ear. "Thank you Jongin. I really owe you. You're a great friend."
 
"If you really feel that way, then you'll come to the library with me tomorrow." Kai stated.
 
Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. "The library? Are you feeling well Kai?"
 
This time Kai was the one who was blushing. "Yah! What's wrong with the library? You can find all sorts of things there."
 
Baekhyun was quiet for a minute, looking at his friend awkwardly shuffling his shoes on the cement. He'd never seen the other so nervous before....could it be? "Kim Jongin! You tell me what's going on this instant!" he demanded.
 
Kai gasped. "W-what do you mean?" he asked, scooting out of his friend's reach instinctively.
 
"Yah! Just what, or should I say whom, do you want to 'check out' from the library?!"
 
Kai turned bright red. "Hyung, what makes you think that I....:
 
"Don't even think about lying to me Kai!" Baekhyun said as if he were a mother bear protecting her cub.
 
"Okay....his name is Kyungsoo." Kai said, turning his face away from Baekhyun so that the older wouldn't see him blush.
 
"Uh hmmmm, and just what do we know about this 'Kyungsoo' person?" Baekhyun demanded.
 
"Hyuuuung! It's not like that." Kai whined. "Just meet him with me tomorrow, you'll see, he's wonderful." Kai said, his voice having that dreamy quality of someone in love.
 
"We'll see about that." Baekhyun said, finishing his own drink. "Now, let's go see if those skinny jeans are still on sale, and you can tell me all about Mr. Librarian."
 
Kai jumped up off of the bench excitedly, and followed Baekhyun back into the mall.
~~~~~
As soon as Chanyeol got into the back seat of his car, he reached in his pocket to see what Kai had given him. It was a the sim card! Now he'd be able to have pictures of Baekhyun! He had, had to erase everything from his cell phone in case something leaked to the public before he could be allowed to break up with Suho.
~~~~~
Chanyeol was so grateful to him for being so understanding. He continued to 'date' him in public, but kept the displays of affection to a minimum, out of respect for Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and when it came time for them to 'officially' break up, he handled it with class. Suho told the public that he and Chanyeol meant more to each other as friends than anything, and that he wished him well with his new CD, even going so far as to say that he'd be the first one in line to buy it. Which he was.
~~~~~
Chanyeol kicked off his shoes and went straight to his bed, pulling his laptop in bed with him. After waiting for what seemed like hours, he was able to upload the photos from the sim card to his computer. Next, he put them in a file,which he put in a sub-folder, within another folder. Opening the folder, he began to scan through the photos. There were lots of pictures of random things. It looked like Nicole had taken photos of the entire ship. At last, he saw a photo of himself as he was being escorted to his room. In between photos of her food, selfies, and more pictures of the ship, were photos of him and Baekhyun.
 
Choosing a random photo, he enlarged it. He had forgotten how truly beautiful Baekhyun was. His sharp jaw line, his hair always styled 'just right', his fashion sense. He studied the photo for some time. He could see the sparkle in Baekhyun's eyes as he was talking to him. He saw how white and perfect Baekhyun's skin was, he saw...the man he loved. His heart ached. He had to tell himself that they'd be together soon, and that all this heartbreak would be worth it. Chanyeol flipped through all of the photos two more times before shutting off the computer and going to sleep. He dreamed of being in Baekhyun's arms that night, and for the first time in a long time, was able to get to sleep at a decent hour.
~~~~~
Finally, the day of their meeting arrived. Neither boy could concentrate on anything they were supposed to be doing, they were too nervous.
 
"What if he doesn't come?" Baekhyun asked Kai. "What do I even wear?"
 
"Hyung! Don't be ridiculous! Try to calm down okay? You know you look good in everything. Look, I've got to go, they're pulling up the gangplank!" Kai said, a hint of excitement in his voice.
 
"Yah! Kim Jongin! You're just hanging up so you can go throw confetti!" Baekhyun yelled into the phone.
 
Kai laughed. "It's my favorite part!" he said before hanging up.
 
Baekhyun couldn't help but to laugh. If Kai ever made it to be the Captain of his own ship, he'd probably install confetti cannon's along the decks.
 
Baekhyun spent the morning rejecting all the clothing he owned. "Ugh...." he groaned. He was just going to have to buy an outfit. Grabbing his wallet, he left his apartment and caught the next bus to take him further down the shopping district.
~~~~~
Chanyeol had wanted to cancel all his events for the day, but there was absolutely no way to do so. Instead, he did two interviews, one short variety show segment, and an appearance at a music store. After dinner it had been requested that he have dinner with the head of his record label. As long as he could get to the Namsan tower by 7:00 p.m., he was fine. In fact, it was actually a blessing to be so busy, it made the time fly by.
 
Chanyeol thought that dinner with the President would go on forever. He was grateful when the senior got a phone call and  had to leave. Chanyeol looked at his watch. It would be close. Hurrying home, Chanyeol was trying to decide what to wear when Suho called. 
 
"So, tonight's the night?" he asked. "Are you nervous?"
 
"Yeah, I feel like there's a bowling alley in my stomach and I don't know what to wear." Chanyeol admitted.
 
Suho smiled to himself. "I'm sure Baekhyun wouldn't care if you showed up in a plastic bag."
 
Chanyeol laughed. "You don't know Baek." he said, causing him to laugh as well.
 
"Wear your black skinny jeans with your rolling stone sleeveless t-shirt. You look good in that."
 
"Is that a hint of jealousy I hear?" he asked, smirking.
 
"You wish!" Suho retorted. "Now hurry up, your'e going to be late."
 
"Okay, okay." Chanyeol said as he grabbed the jeans out of his closet. "Oh....Suho?"
 
"Yes?" he asked.
 
"Thanks."  Chanyeol paused; "For everything. You're really great 'ya know?"
 
"Yeah, well if I'm so great, why is it that you are leaving me for a blonde?" the other asked, giving him a hard time.
 
"Are you kidding me?" Chanyeol asked, tucking the phone under his chin to better flip through the hangers to find his shirt. "Have you seen him? He's hot!"
 
Suho rolled his eyes. "You're despicable." He said smiling into the phone.
 
"Here it is!" Chanyeol said triumphantly holding up his shirt, "You know you love me." he said.
 
"I do. Now stop bothering me and get dressed!" Suho ordered hanging up the phone.
~~~~~
No longer able to control his nerves, Baekhyun arrived early. He paced back and forth for a while, and then, not able to stand it any longer, he took the elevator to the top of the tower. The butterflies in his stomach were out of control. Six months! They had waited six months, and tonight they would finally be able to start their lives together!
 
Baekhyun walked around, looking at the impressive view. Although scared of heights, he was still able to appreciate the beauty of being so high above the city. Looking down he got a giddy feeling, knowing the somewhere down there Chanyeol was on his way to meet him. The first thing he was going to to would be to give him the biggest kiss ever, and he didn't give a damn who was there taking pictures! He was going to finally be with the love of his life, and nothing was going to ruin this night.
~~~~~
Chanyeol took one last look in the mirror. Looking at his cell phone, he left to catch a taxi. He didn't want to be later than he already was. The closer they got to the tower, the more traffic was backed up, the more anxious he became. Not able to contain his excitement any longer he opened the cab door; "I'll just get out here." Chanyeol said tossing some bills to the driver.
 
Chanyeol looked up at the tower and smiled. He didn't need to see him to know that his Baekhyun was already there, he felt it in his heart. In just a few short minutes Baekhyun would be in his arms again and he could place his grandmother's ring on his finger and make it official. He wanted the whole world to know that Baekhyun was his. Chanyeol began to run, his eyes looking up towards the top of the Namsan tower, his heaven.
 
He didn't see the car.