FINAL

Christmas Tree


Jihyun looked at her phone for the umpteenth time, checking through her conversation with her boyfriend. It has been two days past the supposed day his stakeouts were supposed to end, but he was still nowhere to be seen.

On the bright side, she was still getting replies from him, despite them being one-worded, and that was enough. However, she was getting increasingly worried whether or not he was eating enough. Of course, she knew him well enough and knew that he would do anything to not miss his meals. But after being with him for the past three years, she knew better as to how extensive or luxurious a stakeout meal could get.

'Back.' His deep, clearly tired, voice echoed through the house following a click of the door, and she immediately sprang up from her seat.

Taecyeon mustered a slight smile on his slightly bruised face at her, while she noticed that his grey windbreaker was many shades darker than when she first saw him leave the house in it a few days ago.

No matter how much he love his work, five days of stakeouts can be pretty taxing on an experienced member of the serious crimes unit.

'Taec, do you want to shower first and I'll make something for you to eat?'

'I'm fine, I'll just shower and sleep.' Not wanting to upset her with his lack of response, he patted Jihyun's head twice before heading straight for the washroom.

'Okay.'



 


'Taecyeon-ah.' Jihyun crawled into bed after Taecyeon when she saw him heading straight for it once he stepped out of the toilet, and quickly grabbed onto him gently before he could land his head on the pillow. 'It's warm honey lemon tea.'

Jihyun watched silently as he gulped the cup of tea down, and smiled in satisfaction when he finished it immediately. 'Thanks.'

'Mm.' She nodded slightly as she reached out to place the mug by the nightstand, only to have a pair of arms snake around her waist from behind her. And soon, she felt something warm by the crook of her neck.

'I missed you.'

'I'm pretty sure you missed the bed more.'

'I missed you.'

'Not true.'

And when she heard his soft snores right next to her ear, she broke into a smile. Who could resist the comfort of his soft blanket and bedsheets after sitting in the car for who knows how long.

Hoping that she wouldn't disturb him, Jihyun turned around as gently as possible to face him, before running her hand lightly down the side of his face. 'It's been hard on you for the past few days.'




 



'What's for breakfast?' Just when Jihyun was wondering what to do about the sleeping Taecyeon and her meals as she scanned through the cupboards, a deep hoarse voice interrupted her thoughts.

'It's way past lunch time.'

'What do you mean?' His eyebrows furrowed slightly as he tried to digest the new information given to him. On top of his current groggy state of mind.

'You should just marry the bed.'

'I'll do that after marrying you.'

Jihyun paused for a moment at his straightforwardness, gaining a chuckle at the blank look on her face. Through the three years they've been together, even after moving into the same apartment, never once was the topic of marriage brought up. And she was slightly taken aback at how casual it was suggested. 

'We'll go out for food instead. Dress prettily.' Her thoughts were interrupted by Taecyeon whispering into her ear as his hand appeared on hers to close the cupboard that her hand was on. 





Jihyun sighed the moment a living christmas tree stepped out of the closet. 'Ok Taecyeon!'

'What?' He replied, seemingly not sure of what he has done.

'I understand that it's Christmas, but it doesn't mean that you have to go about in green and red!'

'How else am I supposed to show that I'm feeling the mood.' And there goes his weird cheesy gesture as he showed him 'feeling the mood' through an excessive amount of body waves.

'Taec!'

'I know very well what my own name is. Keep quiet.' He grinned, flashing his teeth at Jihyun as he took out his red scarf and wrapped it around her neck, making it a point to cover . 'Now we're matchy matchy.'

She could barely retaliate before he interrupted her. 'Quick, we're going to be late.' Shaking her head in disbelief, she quickly followed after him, knowing that all her pleas will be unheard.

 





'Can you walk slower? My legs aren't as long as yours.' Jihyun whined slightly as she grabbed onto Taecyeon, linking her arm through his.

'I thought you can't wait to stay far far away from this Christmas tree?' Taecyeon asked, and he can't help but to not resist the smile creeping up his face.

'If I'm not supposed to link my arm with my boyfriend, do I grab a random man to link arms with then?'

There was a slight frown on Taecyeon's face when he heard the latter part of her statement, not even wanting to imagine how it would be like. But he quickly shook it off, knowing that she was just making a point. 'Glad that you know your priorities.'

'That's not 'priorities'. That's common sense.'

'Stop rebutting me!'

'Only if you stop annoying me!' Jihyun smacked onto Taecyeon's arm hard when the latter hit her lightly on her head, the both of them continuing their childish banters.

It wasn't long after they stepped into the mall did their plans get interrupted.

'Thief! Someone stop him!' A high pitched shriek was heard, following a black figure running past the both of them.

And within the next second, Jihyun found her boyfriend's long green coat in her arms as she whipped out her phone.

'Hello, is this the police? There's a theft here at the mall...' As usual, she reported all the necessary details to the officer on the other end of the line without any prompting. It was a common routine when they went on dates, which often requires her to call for backup for Taecyeon.

Once that was done, Jihyun proceeded to grab a drink at a nearby cafe. Looking at her watch to take note of the timing, she noted that she'll have at least 20 minutes before the culprit is caught, and everything is administered. Before she can get her boyfriend back.






Jihyun watched the couples and families enjoying themselves nearby as she waited, unknowingly stashing her hands into the pockets of the Taecyeon's green coat, only for her fingers to hit something hard and velvety. What's this?

Without a second thought, she took it out immediately, eyeing the small red box for just a brief second before snapping the box open.

And with a gasp from her, time stood still as all she could do was to stare at the little diamond ring before her.

She quickly closed the box, and opened it again, and there it was, the same diamond ring staring back at her. And that was when she finally realized what it was. 

Did I just spoil the proposal for myself? She ignored the slight gazes from onlookers as she giggled to herself. I'm a genius. 


 



'I'm sorry, I just had to-' Taecyeon panted slightly as he took his coat from Jihyun while she helped him wipe off the beads of sweat on his face. 

'You don't have to apologize, it's a given. Do we go home now? You're all sweaty.' 

'But-' The look of panic on Taecyeon's face was too obvious to her, especially when she knew exactly what she was doing - ruining his original plans for the proposal. She was pretty sure his plans were already ruined by the thief. And now she wanted to tease Taecyeon just a little bit more to see his reaction. 

'Let's go home. It's more comfortable.' With his state of confusion, Taecyeon found himself getting tuggedd towards the exit of the mall as he stuffed his hand into his pocket, grabbing onto the little velvet box in search of comfort. But more panic was what he got. 

'We can't go home!' 

'Why not?' Jihyun asked, trying her best to keep her poker face on as she tilted her head slightly at him, and she could see his hands moving around in the coat pocket as he flapped his coat in frustration.

I'm supposed to propose outside after having a candlelight dinner on Christmas Day- WE CAN'T GO HOME! 'Jihyun-ah, listen to me.' Taecyeon's voice shook a little as he grabbed her by her shoulders, and the latter could no longer hide her smile as she grinned stupidly back at her boyfriend husband to be. 

'Listening.'

He blinked as he looked at her. Great. What am I supposed to say. It's Christmas, everywhere's packed. I can't just- URGH.

'Let's just go.' 

 

 

 

And so, the so called candlelight dinner was converted into a street food dinner by the Han River, with the both of them sitting on the mat that they got from Taecyeon's car. But their usual conversations were replaced with silence this time as Taecyeon rummaged through his head for a back-up plan, at the same time trying not to kill himself for not preparing a Plan B in the first place. 

At least we're not home anymore- But will she like it? Who proposes over tteokbokki and odeng? At least we're by the Han River- Should I just go with it? But what if she rejects me- I- 

'Jihyun-ah!' Taecyeon suddenly exclaimed, making her jump a little before she turned to look at her distraught boyfriend. It would be an understatement to say that she was enjoying watching him having an internal battle with himself - She was elated. 

'Hmm?'

'The weather's real nice right?' And she had to put in all her effort to stop herself from rolling her eyes. 

'Taec, it's freezing.' 

Cue shaky Taecyeon's eyes. 'Jihyun-ah.' 

'Yes?'

Okay, let's just stop beating around the bush- She's just going to make it even worse with her random comments. 'Will you marry me?' Swiftly, Taecyeon took out the velvet box, snapping it open as he looked at her anticipatingly. 

If his proposal plans were thoroughly ruined so far, one thing he knew for sure was that you would be extremely satisfied with the ring. And the thought of the proposal. And the proposal being on Christmas. 

Okay, who was he kidding. He just wanted to console himself. 

'Taec, it's empty.' 

'What do you mean it's- .' And all his confidence instantly went down the drain as he opened and closed the box repeatedly, only to have an empty box in his hands, and he was soon rummaging through every coat pocket, shirt pocket, pants pocket, for that missing ring. 

There were too many things on his mind that he didn't even know what he was thinking any more. 

'Are you looking for this?'

'Yes! Oh my god, thank you!' His fingers brushed her palm as he took the diamond ring from her, repeatedly thanking her and sighing in relief. 

Until he realized, and stared blankly at his girlfriend, who has now erupted into laughter after controlling herself for the past hour or so since they've arrived by the river. 

'Park Jihyun.' 

Her laughter always made him happy, but now he did not know what he was supposed to feel - seeing that he just got fooled by you - but most importantly, the proposal was a huge failure. 

'Park Jihyun.' He repeated, and she finally calmed herself down, before looking straight at him. 

'Mmhmm?'

'What is this?'

Does he not realize he's ruining it even more? She thought as she stifled her laughter again. 'A proposal?'

'How did you-'

'Taec, can you go on with it first. Seeing your current state of mind we might just head home without a ring on my finger.' 

That was another strike. And she could not imagine his eyes enlarging anymore.

'Park Jihyun, will you m-marry me?'

'Of course!' Jihyun exclaimed as she wiggled her fingers before him, and finally - the ring was where it belonged, after what seemed like the most extraordinary proposal. 

Taecyeon sighed as he tried to collect himself, watching her admiring the ring on her finger as she giggled to herself. 

And after a few minutes, he finally realized what had just happened. 

'You knew since the start didn't you! Do you know how many heart attacks you gave me today?!' His sudden outburst took her aback, but she ended up in fits of laughter again as she eyed him pouting at her. 

'It was unintentional.'

'What? Ruining the proposal?'

'Discovering the ring was unintentional. But ruining it was - I guess, slightly intentional?' More giggles erupted from her as he eyed her in disbelief. 

'Why!!'

Taecyeon stared at her as she held his face between her palms. 'It was cute seeing my Christmas tree so confused and agitated.' 

'That's not a valid reas-'

He froze when he felt her soft lips on his for a brief second, She's making me into such a huge mess today- 'I love you, Ok Taecyeon.'

'I love you too.' 

 


 

Hello!! You didn't give a specific prompt but I'm kinda bad at action/suspense so I went with this instead and I hope that this was fitting! 

I'm really sorry if it was kind of rushed/disappointing, but I hope that you like it nonetheless! 

And hope that you'll have a Merry Christmas!