Room 1208

Blank Canvas

"Are you sure that you don't need any -" Before Samuel could even finish his sentence, he was cut off by Jihoon.

 

"Yeah, I can handle it, besides, you'll be late for work. I just literally need to pick up the boxes left in the apartment. They're all sorted out anyway- trust me, I got this." Jihoon replied as he bid his bestfriend goodbye.

 

Jihoon then hailed a cab going to his old apartment, on normal occasions, he would just walk or ride his bike, but, he was extremely tired today for some reason, on top of that, the dreary weather wasn't motivating him at all.

 

The ride to his old apartment seemed like a trip down on memory lane, everything was so familiar to him, after all, it was the area which he considered as his home for so long. For a split second, Jihoon even forgot that he was going there to retrieve his belongings, it felt as if he was just returning to his apartment after a long day from work.

 

Upon reaching the entrance, he spotted his old neighbor, Woojin, who called out to him, "Jihoon-ah~ It's been so long, what brings you back here anyway?" "Oh hello, I was actually just going to claim the stuff that I left behind. I almost forgot about them, well, I'll get going now, let's catch up some other time, Woojin." "Alright, I was just heading out as well, it was nice seeing you, Jihoon-ah!"

 

Relieved, Jihoon then entered the elevator and pressed the button that would lead him to the 12th floor. As he got to his old apartment, room 1208, he hesitated for a moment to open the door, until his old apartment was revealed in it's full glory. Items were scattered all over the place, and the apartment reeked with a foul odor, it was a mess. Nothing changed though, it was exactly how Jihoon left it 7 months ago.

 

Wanting to waste no more time, he quickly started to place his belongings into the boxes. Deciding on which ones to keep, or get rid off. The apartment was neat now, it seemed like a different place from the one Jihoon entered in not more than two hours ago. The moving truck was about to come and Jihoon decided to wait there instead, what else could he do anyway, he wasn't in the mood to go out at all.

 

He noticed a rectangular item under his couch, he pulled it out and freed it from the brown paper packaging, and once Jihoon realized what it was inside, he felt his heart sink.

 

It was a painting of a boy watching a sunset, the sky was filled with various hues, it was beautiful.

He flipped the frame around, and spotted an inscription written with a permanent marker, this time, his tears were uncontrollable, flowing continuously through his eyes.

 

"To the one, who filled my monochrome days with so much vivid colors. I love you eternally, Park Jihoon. - Daniel"