Episode 1

The Quartet - Lies In The Wicked Journey

CHAPTER 1


 

Hayoung and Somi strolling around the Farnam Memorial Garden after barely acquired their checklisted groceries from nearby store before heading back to their humble warmed home. The bestfriend duo live at Mansfield Street Apartment, an ideal location with amiable distance with 15 minutes walk from the center of the Yale University. Much as the time were spent doing the horseplay inside the grocery store, the sky sequentially deviate its natural cue for a nightfall.  

"We need to do something to fill in our summer holiday as we haven't discuss it unnie," asked Somi and perhaps wanted an immediate respond from Hayoung who stare blankly toward the New Haven, Connecticut's skyline. Hayoung seemingly lost in her thought while munching her favourite spicy rice cake (made by Somi) and sometime her own lips.

"I told you countless time already, your own lips is a bad habit," Somi continuously trying to snatch Hayoung attention which she ready to initiate her tactical procedure, overused but effective.

"ouch!" 

With that, Somi physical frame instantly materialize within Hayoung eyesight.

"Somiya, why you pinched my poor cheek?" Hayoung frowned and flustered while rubbing her victimized face. 

"I have been trying to get a decent respond from you unnie asking about our summer holiday," Somi justify her action by highlighting as if it was Hayoung fault at the first place and chuckle after noticing Hayoung cheek turning red. Somi always teasing her unnie whenever she have the chances to play it out and love to watch Hayoung reaction afterward. 

"Anyway, about my earlier question that seems to rot as the time continue tickling, what should we do for our summer holiday?" Asked Somi again and slowly to look serious ensuring Hayoung to give her answer this time. Hayoung facial expression suddenly change, nervous and worried. 

"About that, I have been wanting to tell you something that kinda disturbing," Hayoung murmuring and, "At first I thought it was a prank from someone but it began to look eerie as time passes by and I don't want to scare you so I prefer keeping it myself,".

Somi puzzled sub-consciously concerning the unexpected revelation full with riddles made by her unnie. She never considered even a bit by the possibility that Hayoung could be bothered by something not known to her. As she began to remember to what happen a week before, Hayoung always spacing out during daytime and Somi frequently woke up at night by the rustling sound of Hayoung constantly changing her sleeping position. 

"Im officially curious to know what happen to you unnie," Somi demand a clear and bigger picture of the unsettling situation but still in respectful voice tone.

"Alright, I will explain in more detail after we arrive at home later and of course after we eat our dinner," Hayoung gave her word with ounce of confident as if trying hard not to show her worried shaky voice. 

"....and I will cook our dinner tonight unnie," Somi offering her cooking service while giving her right hasty bump-fist upward indicating a gesture of proud dongsaeng. Her cooking skill widely recognized among their friend, the taste is undeniably mouth-watering delectable. 

Both of them began to stride along the pedestrian path with decisive pace following after their stomach starting to growl out of hunger.


CHAPTER 2


 

 

As usual Somi finished her dinner first and sit down in the living room while patting her full-happy stomach and curled her lips humming her favourite song; IOI-Pick Me. 

"Somiya, just wait for me at my study room later. I gonna take my mobile phone first after I clean the dishes and the table," declared the voice of Hayoung from the kitchen assuring Somi to get ready. 

"Alright unnie, just make sure you don't break anything this time," Somi reminded half jokingly without knowing that night will be her next terrifying hour.

Somi entered her unnie study room which stocked with books arranged accordingly inside the satinwood of 7 feet English Regency bookcases that nearly occupied the room spaces. She pace herself forward with composed posture and halted near an antique wooden study table made from high quality oak furnished wood placed at the center of the room.  Overhead, the lavish room persona unveiled by the illumination of refracted light from the custom made 19th Century French blended well with Irish cut-glass chandelier with neoclassical motive carved with bronze cast and gilded wood. 

"Unnie indeed a true fan of classic stuffs," Somi gazed directly at the pile of books chunked on the study table and notice there is a new recent book binded with Dutch vellum purchased by Hayoung when they stopping by at The Brooklyn Holiday Book Fair at Old Stone House last two weeks ago.

"I wonder unnie already finish reading her recent book before we take a trip to West Chester, Pennsylvania for book-shopping at Baldwin's Book Barn next week?" Somi mumbling at herself while running her slender delicate fingers through the stockpile of journals and series of classical art photographs.

"Hey Somiya! Are you gonna steal those of my findings?" Hayoung emerged from the hallway and stomped her right feet. 

"Oh gosh unnie, you nearly give me a heart attack and absolutely no, what benefit that I even consider to steal your works," Somi startled, glaring and pouting. Hayoung burst out of good laugh watching her cute dongsaeng potruding her lips into a duck-like beaks, almost resembling as an angry Donald Duck.


  CHAPTER 3


 

Outside the duo apartment, ghostly figure sheltered by the shadow of old bulk trees keeping a firm determined eyes simulating a predator waiting for ambush to kill it's prey with a single deadly strike. Tonight, the unknown identity resolute his unwavered and merciless killer instinct, which to kill both Hayoung and Somi in their very home. With his shiny leathered boots, the man slowly infiltrate inside the apartment compund with almost no soundwave travelling through the thin air to be receive by any nearby eardrums. 

"I'am the Ouroboros, I'am the conductor of death. May the 'Serpent Eating Its Own Tail' spirit lies inside my body and bestow upon me a power to orchestrate a symphony of destruction," a self-proclaimed Ouroboros chanting his self-made canticle, a pre-recital ritual. The man is a delusional maniac and obsess with the implication of infinite cycle of life and death.

His left hand reach his pocket and slowly pluck out the glowy device; smartphone, to check the remaining time to execute his demonic plan. Consequently, the hitman personal bank account will tremendously fill with filthy money by concluding his mysterious client request; the two clueless women are subject to perish.

"What a pleasant assignment this time, two weakling with higher tips? Im the luckiest wolf with two vurnerable sheeps," the hitman whispered and smirk while his footstep gradually inclining the apartment staircases. 

Arrived at the first level, the hitman wear his black heavy duty leathered gloves and swiftly rolled his arms to unleash the murderous cable rope. He preferred to not using a fire or sharp weaponry. He find it satisfying by staring all his victim eyes while struggling for the oxygen hardly passing through the burning trachea while clutching their throat. The wheezing sound from the convulsive gasp for air is his favourite symphony, a death symphony. The cold-blooded killer glanced back his smartphone to check the time and still have 5 minutes left. 


CHAPTER 4


 

Inside the apartment, the two women comfortably sitting on are short cabriole legs padded with upholstered leather with a deep buttoned and pairs of scroll armrest chair. Both of their life threads will expose to a darker element tonight. Perhaps, the duo will view the notions of life and death with a new distinguish outlook, comparatively to the speculative of Lao Tzu's quote authenticity, Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.”.

"Alright, first and foremost, before we start, let me induce this room with more relax mood," Hayoung rise her smartphone and connected it with her portable speaker via bluetooth. She dramatically tap the screen and the beautiful instrumental song fill the entire room like a summer sun gently radiate and warm the skin, peaceful. Hayoung favourite piece from the old master Mozart Amadeus Wolfgang, his pleasant sonata K304 2 Pires Dumay. In a moment, her facial expression lighten up and stabilize her composure. Eventhough Somi not a fan of classical music, but she can appreciate the significant benefit of its Mozart Effect.

"Somiya, finally I let myself to tell you everything that has been bothering me since I thought this also concerning your safety. I hope this is not sound so crazy for you," Hayoung said with a low voice of her and continue, "Do you by chance know a guy, well an Irish guy named Conor McGregor?". She started with splurting someone name.

"Yes of course I know him, in fact who doesn't know him. I mean, he is the most famous inventor in the world right now and accomplish quite number of science breakthrough," Somi  answered confidently with her general idea about the mentioned man.

"Good enough, for your information we did exchanged a plenty of emails between us. Well, I did emailed him first to ask regarding on my works," said Hayoung further and Somi look sceptical, a man with a wide ranging influences and extensive publicities literally want to exchange an email with her unnie, it is too exclusive to be true. She want to say something but stay listening without vocalize any word. 

"So to cut things short, last week he told me that he discovered something extraordinary for his lifelong research and he said, this will lead to a massive achievement toward modern humankind in science and technology history, especially in automobile industry," Hayoung paused and resume further, "but someone sent him an anonymous letter, a death letter.Threathening Conor McGregor life if he dare to publish his discovery." Hayoung finish her sentences and Somi eyes widened in disbelief.

"Okay, so what is it, his so-called discovery to the extent people conspire to end his life? And why not he report this nonsense to the authority,........and yeah why he telling you all these?" Somi interupted and requiring more clear details.

"I don't know, maybe he just need someone to know his accomplishment. I mean, why not? Its not like wrong thing to do. Next, I did already told him but he ignore all those and saying he will stop at nothing plus dealing with the authority consume his precious time and irritable,"

"Typical stubborn-ego nerd," thought Somi.

Hayoung clear and continue, "About his discovery, he did not reveal it yet but he did mention about his ambition. He been wanted to invent a gravity free-hovering vehicle so thats why he live in Geneva, Switzerland,". 

"He sound like another Elon Musk. Anyway, so thats explained why he started to work at CERN five years ago, but why CERN?" Somi slowly look intrigue.

CERN derived from Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire, in English translation; 'European Organization for Nuclear Research'. It consist of the world most mighty particles accelerator called Large Hadron Collider witnessing diverse international collaboration experiments has been conducted inside its very own laboratories and gigantic computing facilities to store over 50 petabytes of research data.

"Hmm, according to him, in physical sense, he believe that in order to alter the basic nature of things, we must understand its core origin. In another word, all things made up from matter or atoms and basically he will capable in manipulating its natural composition if he discover on how to stretch the protons and neutrons without disturbing the nucleus and damaging the fragile orbital allignments,"  Hayoung explaining like she giving her lecture to her student but more toward a physical teacher this time.

Somi nodded, "And what is the relation with the anti gravity cars, I mean NASA do all that stuffs" Asked Somi while placing her both hands on the study table while her head resting on her pair of soft palms.

"Well he did explain briefly last time, he argued that gravity is a dual-characteristic universe element between being a force and not being a force,"

"What on earth he making such theory like that? We both know, Albert Einstein already said the gravity is not a force. No offence, he ridiculously established an utterly paradoxical statement for his own theory," Somi disagree with those claims.

"Wait Somiya, you are right at some point. But if we see these in different context, we could say it is possible. What if he can invent some sort a device that can shift the gravity characteristic? You know, like we easily switch on or switch off the lights, the invention of bulbs. Its entirely sharing the common context, fire and electricity and I'm afriad I cannot explain on this electrical stuffs further since Im no expert," Hayoung explain further and Somi nodded indicating those arguments pretty make sense.

Hayoung continue her impromptu lecture,"Furthermore, after we discovered a Cosmic Fingerprint which can be describe as during the universe still at the infant stage, those outward explosion caused a quantum particles phenomenon, yes inflation, and which also suggesting a gravity made from the quantum particles, called gravitons. So Somiya what is the basic fundamental characteristic of particles? Now Hayoung making Somi like her student.

"Protons, neutrons and electrons," As a lecturer, Somi answered it rather easy.

"Bingo! So that conclude what was Conor McGregor has been doing all these years. Currently in this 2017, human actually invented a hundred quadrillions of FLOPS supercomputer, so I presume flying cars like we saw in Back To The Future may become our next Fordism," Hayoung wraps up her brief lecture.

"In case you forget Somiya, just now we discussing the excitement part with sci-fiction story telling, now I gonna tell you the horror part of this conversation," before Somi can say a word, Hayoung open up another branch of their conversation, a reality part.

"Somehow, some incognito brat intercepted our emails traffic and sent an ultimatum email saying if Conor McGregor still on his quest, he made a clear warning for him. That person will kill me too." Hayoung eyes look weary holding her fists in terror.

Somi release a profound sigh, "At first, he, that McGregor guy making this people-want-to-kill thing like a trivial things now he involving you unnie,"

Hayoung change her sitting position and continue, "At first I thought someone just messsing around with their hacking skill but I received those scary emails everyday," Hayoung took a deep breath and resume her sentence, "... and what is more scary, I involving you too Somiya," Hayoung eyes tearing up while staring the innocence face of Somi. 

Somi suddenly could feel the terrifying sensation erupted inside and rushing through her entire body. She start trembling, cold sweat oozing out from her tender forehead and her feet shaken out of control, panic attack occured. Hayoung cannot dare to imagine if someone to hurt Somi, her beloved dongsaeng. 

Hayoung added,"Conor McGregor said he flew to Milan, Italy and working this matter with the computer whizz, Pewdiepie. Both of them will expose those brat and dismantle his plan silently as possible without public and media intervention,"

"...and here we are, sitting here with open arms to embrace any incoming murderers," Somi start to cry and no futher word from her.

While Hayoung trying her best to comfort by patting gently at Somi silky hair, the Ouroboros already in front of their door.


End for this episode

 


Thankyou for reading my first ever fanfics story, Hopely you enjoy with the entire Episode 1

 and please stay tune for the next episode

 

Last but not least, Thankyou to the subcribers and to the voters.

Really appreciate it very much😊