August: Day 1

Girlfriend for Hire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Even if it’s temporary, everybody needs someone to chase the loneliness away.”

~.~.~.~

Wendy was a twenty-four-year-old woman who had everything she needed; a stable job, a nice apartment she owned, a social life, just everything she needed. She was skeptical about the concept of love and other than her love for her friends and her family, she believes that she doesn’t need any other form of it at all.

But she did try, two years ago, ‘falling in love,’ where all the ‘core components’ like passion, companionship, and whatever crap she could faintly remember from her Psychology class back in college were present. Wendy was definitely unfamiliar with all the skinship and all the need for romance and dates and sweet words.

One thing she was familiar with was with her ual preference which leans more on the gay side.

It was a colorful world anyway.

Seulgi, her best friend and probably the person she trusts with her whole life, had introduced her to one of her younger friends whom Wendy agreed to meet. She remembered sitting at the corner of the café, hidden from many prying eyes, as she patiently waited for her date while tapping her finger on the round, wooden table.

“Excuse me, are you Son Wendy?”

Wendy looked up when she heard an extremely shy and feminine voice. She blinked, seeing a flushed woman who looked a few years younger fidgeting in front of her. Wendy gently smiled at her and stood up, bowing ninety degrees. “Yes, that’s me. Are you Seulgi’s friend? I’m sorry but she never told me your name.” Now that she thought about it, Seulgi was a bit rude not to tell her.

The woman smiled at her, eyes twinkling bright and she smiled, showing her pearly, white teeth that reminded Wendy of an adorable bunny. “It’s fine! My name is Nayeon.”

Wendy blinked, before a chuckle came out of her lips.

“Nice to meet you, Nayeon-ssi. Shall we get started?”

It didn’t take long for them to get comfortable with each other; they were both bubbly and liked to talk, which put Wendy at ease. Later on, after that first encounter and exchanging numbers, Wendy was the one who wanted to meet up for a second ‘date.’

“She’s really fun.” She reasoned out when Seulgi quirked a brow, demanding an explanation from the girl. “O-kay.” Obviously, she didn’t believe Wendy.

This time, they were at the national park and Wendy bought a blue rose for her date. “Wendy unnie!” Wendy was wearing her casual outfit, a grey hoodie and black jeans with matching white sketchers, she silently scolded herself when she saw Nayeon wearing a yellow, one-piece dress.

“Oh, wow.” The older exclaimed in disbelief, wondering how long Nayeon must have spent on dressing up just to meet her. She had slight make-up on, that you could only tell when you get closer. Her cheeks were tinted red, eyeliner making her eyes look bigger and her lips covered by a vibrant color of red lipstick.

“How do I look?” She smiled cheekily and Wendy couldn’t contain her laughter when she saw a smudge of lipstick on Nayeon’s teeth. “You’re beautiful. But wait, let me clean that up for you.” When the younger looked confused, Wendy pointed to her teeth. “You’ve got some lipstick on your teeth.”

“O-Oh.”

Wendy wasn’t one to get grossed out easily, but she didn’t know if Nayeon was comfortable with her using her hands, so she took her blue handkerchief instead and wiped the lipstick off.

“There we go! Right, I bought this for you.” Wendy almost forgot about the rose in her hand that was carefully wrapped in a transparent plastic to prevent it from getting damaged.

Roses were very frail, after all.

She took it out from behind her and showed Nayeon.

“You didn’t have to, Wendy unnie. But thank you!” Nayeon grinned before taking a whiff of the rose.

“It’s fine.”

It was after at least four months when they hit it off and decided to make it official. That’s when Wendy understood why couples bought gifts for each other, why they like to show how much they like each other in public, and when Wendy did felt it, it felt beautiful. It wasn’t annoying like she thought. (Maybe it is annoying if you’re single.)

She bought gifts for Nayeon because she wants the latter to know how much she appreciates and loves her. She liked to wrap her arms around her when they were in public to show everyone looking at them that Nayeon was hers and that she was Nayeon’s. Her smiles started getting brighter and brighter every day.

 

“So Wen, what are you getting for Nayeon’s birthday?”

They were in a mall, Wendy looking through the shops while dragging Seulgi with her. The younger’s face scrunched up in frustration. “I’m not sure, Seul. I mean, I’ve given her everything she asked and didn’t ask for these past two years. But…I don’t think I’m giving her any stuff this year.”

Nayeon’s birthday was approaching, and three days after that would be their third anniversary as a couple.

“I’m planning to propose to her.”

That was the plan.

 

Seulgi had willingly helped her with the preparations, and so did her family. Wendy had rented a small restaurant for where she would propose at dinner, and thankfully, Wendy knew the owner. Kim Taeyeon was a bit older than Wendy, and she owned a restaurant, so the latter had asked a favor from her long-time friend.

“Unnie, thank you so much for this.”

Taeyeon, a woman who was as short as Wendy (maybe a little taller), ruffled Wendy’s blue hair. “No problem, kiddo. You’re getting married! I’m happy to help! I thought you would probably grow old alone.” She sighed dramatically, making Wendy roll her eyes.

“Right…I have one more favor to ask of you, almighty Kim Taeyeon.”

“Since you praised me, let’s hear it.”

Wendy fumbled with the car keys inside her jean’s pockets nervously, swallowing a lump forming in .

“Could you-Could you maybe sing f-for us? L-Like…maybe while I’m proposing…I dedicated a song for her you see.” She stuttered out the words, shy with the fact that she had never done this for someone before.

Taeyeon had never seen Wendy stutter and looking so adorable before. She let a small and gentle smile form on her lips. “Of course, Wendy.”

‘Wendy unnie, do you want to know something?’

Wendy blinked before glancing besides her. Nayeon and Wendy were lying down on a blanket over a patch of grass. Her BMW was parked at a distance as they snuck into the thick patch of trees that was able to silence the bustling city of Seoul which was only minutes away.

“What?”

“I can imagine my future with you.”

That did not fail to make Wendy’s heart beat faster. She grinned from ear-to-ear, eyes glistening. “Me too.” Wendy’s voice cracked slightly, her hands trembling and goosebumps started forming on her skin. “Are you okay, unnie?” Nayeon got up and looked at her in concern. Wendy blinked away the tears before chuckling.

“I am…I’m just really happy.”

That’s what made Wendy wonder why.

“Is everything ready?” Wendy worriedly said over the phone. She stood in front of Nayeon’s apartment which wasn’t far from the restaurant they were headed to. “Everything’s ready! Both your families are here already. Taeyeon has already prepared the stage and the sound system’s working more than fine!” Seulgi chirped.

“That’s great to hear. Thank you, Seul.” Wendy sighed before wiping the invisible sweat on her forehead.

Here she goes.

She took a deep breath; a chill ran down her spine as her fingers curled in nervousness. “It’s time, Wendy.” She mumbled to herself. She knocked on the door twice.

Then another one when no one answered.

Was her girlfriend still sleeping in?

Her hand grabbed the doorknob, surprised as it ‘clicked!’ and the door opened. Wendy’s eyes widened and she frowned. “She should check. What if a thief suddenly came sneaking in?” She mumbled to herself but went in.

Nayeon lived in a nice apartment although it was slightly messy. Wendy had paid for the place after the younger graduated from university but was still unable to find a job. Wendy had promised to pay until she did even though it’s been months already. Wendy was fine with it. She would also willingly provide for the both of them in the future.

She walked quietly, trying to lessen the creaking of the floorboards of the stairs leading up to Nayeon’s room. She found the door ajar and shook her head, smiling to herself. Her lover was such klutz. She tiptoed, peeking inside-

And dropped her phone.

~.~.~.~

Wendy woke up with her heart pounding, sweat running down her face. She gasped, hand shooting out and reached for nothing but the air. Her eyes were blurred with tears and it took a while for everything to be clear as she blinked.

The same dream.

Another one.

She’s been dreaming of the past lately and it’s been months since then. Of course, Wendy wasn’t the type to just forget everything and move on; but she often wished she was indeed that kind of person.

She often wished that she didn’t forgive easily.

She got up from her bed and tossed the pale blue duvet to the side, stretched her limbs and walked to look at herself in the mirror. Her beige hair was unkempt, dark circles under her tired, and lifeless brown eyes. She examined her reflection and saw how her once strong arms have now turned into frail, scrawny ones. Had she been eating well? Her memory was a bit foggy.

She blinked. Her eyes were red and puffy, and she chuckled bitterly. Maybe she should wear those fake glasses that Joy got her for her birthday six months ago to hide her eyes.

Sunday.

Out the window, she saw the rain poured down hard and teenagers ran down the cracked, cemented and muddy streets, as they laughed and pushed each other, not caring about getting drenched.

“How carefree.”

How was she going to spend her gloomy Sunday now? She glanced at the nightstand where a digital clock was placed. It was nearly afternoon. Wendy sighed in relief because if she had work, she would never hear the end of her boss’ sermon.

She yawned and headed for the bathroom.

A bit late to start the day, but better late than never.

~.~.~.~

With a wine glass in her hand, Irene looked out the terrace where the rooftop covered her from the harsh rainfall. Although the rain poured, the sky turned into a glowing pinkish color. She relaxed in the comfort of her reclining chair and closed her eyes, and listened as if it was music to her ears.

She believed that each drop had its own story to tell, people just needed to listen.

A knock on her door woke her from her daydream and she glanced back inside her cozy room that her company provided her. “It’s open.” It was soft-spoken and she wasn’t even sure if she was heard. Maybe her voice may have been drowned out by the rain.

But the door opened nonetheless, revealing a woman who beamed at her, with eyes that twinkled and a grin on her pink lips. Irene knew what that look meant. “Hello Solar, what’s up?” Irene returned her smile.

“Irene, you have new clients.”

“Oh? Plural, let me guess, some lonely men who nee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter