49 Precious Days

49 Precious Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"MoYeon right? Your name. Kang MoYeon."

"Yes." The little girl timidly replied the lady that asked her. 

"Do you want to follow us home, MoYeon?" The man beside the lady asked her again.

Couldn't reply anything, MoYeon just look at the couple with her big eyes.

They were in a foster home located in Seoul. MoYeon just lost their parents in a car accident. She's the lone survivor of the accident and also the last member of the family. 

Still coping with the shock of the accident and the loss of her parents, she refuses to talk to anyone. She could even barely eat anything. All she do was just sleep and sit down the whole day. 

-----

"Yoo SiJin!"

That makes SiJin wake up in shocked and confused when someone shout out his name. Confused, he looked around and realized that he's in his classroom.

"Oh no." He turns his head to the front of the classroom and saw his teacher glaring at him like she would eat him up.

"Why do you sleep everyday in class? Didn't you sleep at night? What did you do last night that you fall asleep in class? Tell me!"

"Nothing." SiJin replied with a blank face.

"Go and stand outside!"

Without saying anything, SiJin stand and went out the class. He prefer standing outside the class rather than hearing the teachers blabber the things that he don't understand at all. 

-----

"MoYeon, can you help me to go to my table and take the class's homeworks?"

"Of course, sir."

MoYeon always help her teachers because she's kind. Teachers all love her because she's helpful, honest and clever. Of course, MoYeon is the top student in the school.

When she's on the way back from the teacher's room, she walk past the guys' classrooms. She saw a guy standing outside a class. 

"Again? He surely will never change." MoYeon muttered to herself after recognizing the guy.

She then walk past SiJin, fastly bevause she wants to get to her class faster.

-----

SiJin continues standing outside the class, looking around as he has nothing to do. He was staring at the air blankly when a girl walk past by him.

"Wow. How can someone be so beautiful?" He was captivated by her beauty at that instant.

"Yoo SiJin! Enter the class now and pass up yesterday's homework!" The teacher shouted from the class loudly.

"Damn. I didn't do it." He silently curse while walking back to the class, expecting anothing punishment again.

-----

"MoYeon-ah! Do you want to go out tonight?" JiSoo, her talkative best friend, try to presuade her again.

It's recess time now and MoYeon and JiSoo are still in the class. 

"No..I have to study tonight." MoYeon replied without taking her eyes away fron the book. 

"You always study. What do you do for fun? Just this one time. Let's go out today." JiSoo try again.

"Studying is fun."

"For you only. Fine. Not going to disturb you having 'fun' tonight. For now, close your book and let's go eat. It's recess time. Let's go!" 

JiSoo closes the book on MoYeon's hand and pull her hand together to the school cafeteria.

-----

"Yah! Yoo SiJin! Stop dreaming and eat your food!" DaeYoung hit the dreaming SiJin's head while scolding him.

"DaeYoung." SiJin start to speak.

"What?" He answer with foods still in his mouth.

"Do you know any girls in this school that is beautiful? Like goddess type?"

"Yoon MyungJoo." DaeYoung give the answer without any hesitation.

"Other than your girlfriend." 

"Why? What's wrong? Itching to date a girl?" DaeYoung try to .

Still with his dreamy eyes, he explained, "No. Today when I was punished standing outside the class, I saw a goddess pass by. She was really pretty and there's some kind of glow glowing behind her. Like you know the goddess type." SiJin started to feel frustrated when his friend couldn't understand what he's trying to say.

The second he try to explain again, someone in the corner of his eyes caught his attention. The goddess.

"There, that girl." SiJin says while nudging DaeYoung's elbow, asking him to look at his goddness.

"Ah..she? Kang MoYeon?" DaeYoung ask for confirmation after looking at SiJin's goddness.

"You know her?" SiJin's eyes quickly turn to DaeYoung.

"Who doesn't know her? She's the top student of the school, man!"

"Really?!" 

-----

That afternoon after school, MoYeon walk back home. She still find it uneasy to commute using car due to the trauma. But then, she will use the car from time to time when they are having family outing because she doesn't want to burden her adopted parents. Even though her parents say that it's okay, she still want to be a good daughter to repay back their kindness. 

When she reached home, her mum eagerly ask about her day at school. Being a daughter that's close with her mum, she answers everything till her mum ask her to take a bath and have lunch together.

As usual, when they were eating, they will talk and discuss about things.

"Oh right. Eomma, the grandmother left today." MoYeon starts the conversation.

"Really? Today is her 49th day?"

"Yeah. She said goodbye and her gratitude to me. She said that i'm a kind girl that it's hard to find nowadays."

"Of course you are. There're not many children who will spend their time talking with their parents at your age. They will stick to their friends."

MoYeon gives her mum a big grin and continue eating.

MoYeon is now living in a small town located in KyeongGi-do, known as Icheon. When she first arrived the town, she was amazed when she saw the villagers talking to the air. She was wondering because she couldn't see anything.

After a few months staying there, MoYeon fully adapted herself there. Even though she misses her old hometown, she didn't show it. She tries to be a good girl all the time to repay everyone that helps her. 

About a year she stays there, she saw something flying in the air. When she look closely, she saw humans flying. Terrified, she ran away. She then asked her friends about it and they explained it to her. 

The dead humans actually remain in their soul. They have 49 days to bid goodbyes or to resolve their grudges. After 49 days, they will go to the heaven with no regrets. 

When MoYeon get used to it, she became a friendly friend to all the souls that past by her. All of the souls are friendly and they like her. 

-----

When SiJin gets home, all he could think is just MoYeon. 

When his mum calls him, he was daydreaming. He stares into the air until his mum hit his head. He apologize to his mum and focus on his mum.

"What did you say?" He asks his mum's question again.

"I asked how is your school?" 

"Well...it's just the same thing. We just repeat the same thing. We enter the class, open the books, hear the teachers talk, recess, repeat the whole thing again and go home. It's boring..."

"I'm not asking about that. I mean your studies. Did you do well in the mock test?"

"I have mock test? Really? When?"

"Oh my god. You can't be help anymore. 

-----

The next day, MoYeon wake up early, as usual, to help her mum in preparing breakfast. She took a bath and pack up her school bag. She then go down to the kitchen, greets her parents with a big smile and a kiss on both her parents cheeks. Before she left, her mum passed her a lunch box so that she could eat in school during her recess time. MoYeon had told her that she hated to stand in line just to get foods so she prepared lunch for her so that she could eat it easily.

When she reached school, JiSoo greet her happily.  As usual, she sit beside JiSoo and get ready for her class. Minutes later, the teacher enter the class. The class go on smoothly. A few minutes before the bell rings, the teacher said something that made the whole class went still for a second. 

"One of the students of this school has passed away yesterday. Yoo SiJin. You all know him right? Go and pay your last respect at his funeral later after school if you have time." 

After he finished his words, the bell rings indicate that the class has end. For some reasons, MoYeon couldn't wait for the school to finish. She wanted to get out from the school earlier. 

MoYeon let out a sigh of relief when the bell for the school ends rings. She quickly pack her bag and stop in her track when JiSoo asked her, "Why are you rushing?? I noticed that you weren't paying attention at all in class. What happened?" 

"It's nothing. I'm just tired. I'll get going. Bye."

MoYeon quickly went out of the classroom, walking fastly straight to her home. She quickly take a bath and had a meal with her parents beforw asking permission to go to her friend's funeral. Her parents understands her reasons and let her go. They promised to pick her up when she's done. 

-----

Upon reaching the funeral hall, she saw sone of her classmates and schoolmates there. She also sae SiJin's soul flying around there, chatting with his friends as if nothing happened. She went in the hall and pay her last respect. SiJin's parents thanked her for coming. She bowed a little to them before leaving the hall. 

When she was wearing her shoes, she heard someone crying at the side of the hall. Curious, she searched for the source of the cries. She saw Seo DaeYoung crouching while crying. 

"Hey.." MoYeon greeted him first. 

DaeYoung quickly wipe his tears before greeting her back. "Hey..anything?"

"Why are you crying here, alone? SiJin are outside there chatting happily with his friends."

"I'm sad..I can't. I don't want him to leave yet.."

"You still have the 49 days with him, right?"

"I know that we can still see him, but...but..he will leave after 49 days..he's been my bestfriend since we were kids..it's.. it's too sudden.."

"I understand. But, cherish the 49 days with him..at least you still have the 49 days to do anything with him. Don't think about later."

"It's not that easy..Everything happened in a sudden. We were happily eating and chatting together yeste

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter