Decision

Regrets

Another day, another second passing by. He's still missing. The police gave up on searching. They searched the entire town, and even tried to track him down. Such lazy beings. They get paid by the government for no reason. They don't do their job. They sit here and there and watch the people around them suffer. They work by force, not by heart. What a society. I'm Cha Eunwoo, 20 years of age. I live with my parents. Our parents moved from South Korea to America once Moonbin and I were born, we lived all our lives there. We would travel together and see different places. We also got to see which hospital we were born in. After we grew up, we attended the same uni. But then it all happened. I was kicked out of University for not showing up, and failing my classes. It's a shame, I had one year left.

We were always together. We swore to each other's lives that we wouldn't leave. We did everything together and didn't a miss a single day without seeing one another. It was our life, it was beautiful. Binnie was kidnapped by someone named Black. The police spent months looking for him but failed. I on the other hand, travelled the entire city with the budget I had in search of him. It took me an entire year. Eventually, my body became weaker due to lack of sleep and eating. I was sent to the hospital and had to be taken care of by doctors to regain my strength. I was there for about a week or two. They didn't let me leave no matter how bad I fought. It was sad, you see, I had to look for the man who completed me and they didn't let me do that. There was no point in living if he wasn't there with me. I had no reason to stay alive. We swore to each other that we wouldn't leave the other person alone, at all.

I was sent home to my parents after the doctors said I should be feeling better. I had gone through severe depression and they said it would be better if I was treated at home. I was diagnosed with PTSD. The doctors said that although I am not the one who has gone through any incident and Moonbin going missing is not necessarily considered death, I still have the symptoms. My parents haven't allowed me to go anywhere without their presence because they fear I will run off and search for Binnie all over again. I don't enjoy speaking to people about my issues. Although they've tried to convince me to speak to different psychologists, I refuse to budge. 

"Eunwoo, dear. What are you doing up so early?" My mother asked. She's been trying to get me to speak ever since I got back from the hospital. I talk to her occasionally, just to cheer her up. I can't have her upset because of me. I smile at her and walk back up. "Eunwoo. Answer me if you please. I don't want to see you in this condition anymore. It's been almost two years since he's gone missing. You can't stop your life because of this. Binnie was like my son, too. But you're also my son and I care about your future so don't screw it up. This is your fate and you can't change it. Please dear." My mother said. I looked down to the floor, I can’t look at my mother in the eye after what she just told me. I am ashamed and I know she’s right. But Moonbin was everything to me and I can’t have these personal conflicts get in the way. 

I shut the door behind me and the laptop. There's no harm in searching a little more, is there? I mean I won't go deep. I went on Google and searched up the people with the name Black that could be in our neighbourhood or the city in general. Around 30 people showed up on the page and I decided to search around different neighbourhoods as well. I found about 172 names that end and begin with Black. I began writing them down and slowly searching each and every single one of them, finding different information. Some of them were hard to reach and others just down the block. After about half an hour, I found myself writing all their addresses down and making maps. Within 3 hours, I fell asleep on the computer. My parents worry about the amount of time I sleep. They say it's due to lack of eating but I just think I'm lazy.

I woke up and it was already 6:23 PM. How much did I sleep? I got up and saw a tray of food on the table. I guess my mother thought I'd eat once I woke up. I went downstairs and saw that we had someone over. I stood behind the wall, making sure no one were to see me. "Yes, and he hasn't been eating that well either." My father said. I knew at that moment that they were talking about me. They worry to much. "He needs to go somewhere else, he can't stay here." The man said. "He used to live in California with Moonbin but he came here after the incident. And I don't think he wants to go back there. He prefers staying with his parents. We do too, actually. Just until he recovers." My mother replied. 

I'm not sick. I don't need to recover for anything. That was my damned boyfriend that got kidnapped. Someone I was never apart from. I think it's pretty normal if I go through such a phase. He was like the brother I never had. I miss him and I don't know what he's doing or if he's even eating. "I don't need to recover from anything. You have no say in this because if you were in my position you would've done worse. There are people out there that gave up. I've been on the verge of giving up, but I'm still here, aren't I? What you're saying makes no sense. This is a normal reaction. This isn't some normal situation or a simple 'death' we're talking about. This is kidnapping someone. It's inconvenient. I don't expect the criminal to warn me or anything but I expect my parents to take my side, not go up against me and call me ill." I said, angrily. "That's not-" I cut her off, "If you don't want me here so badly, then why didn't you say so from the beginning? I'm sorry to have been such a burden on you." I said, and went upstairs and packed my stuff. 

I got two suitcases, one for my clothes, a towel,and a couple of blankets, and the other for my electronics, books, gadgets, toothbrush. I wore my clothes and headed out of the door shutting it behind me with all the force I had. I stopped, I hadn't smelled the outdoors in a very long time. I felt refreshed. I regained my senses and unlocked the car and started it up and immediately drove away. I didn't know where to go. I brought all the money I had ever saved, other than the ones I had spent searching for Bin. I realised that I had wasted so much money for no reason. I searched for Moon Bin, not Black. I was stupid, but not anymore. I won't let anyone take the best of me.