Chapter 3

Sweet Touch (you've almost convinced me i'm real)

They reach Veles the next day. Veles is further out in the system than its sister planet Ekwensu, making for long days and short nights, and most citizens have blackout protocols in their homes. The one upside is that it’s cooler overall.

 

Sehun now knows the protocol for landing, so wanders down to the loading bay after a quick breakfast, Zitao at his heels.

 

“This time I want Sehun to stick with Junmyeon and see if we can find any boarders going our way.”

 

“We don’t even really have a ‘way’ currently,” Luhan butts in, “since Taeyeon doesn’t have another job for us right now, so basically find any boarders who are willing to pay.”

 

Yifan nods, shrugging once, and Minseok walks over to open the bay door. Sunlight streams in, but it isn’t nearly as blinding as Ekwentsu’s had been.

 

Sehun adjusts to the difference in brightness and tries to take in the docks. He has no real clue as to what time it is planetside, but enough people are bustling around it can’t be too early or too late.

 

Yifan, Luhan, and Minseok head off in one direction while Zitao and Yixing take another, leaving Sehun standing on the street with Junmyeon, “Routine for boarders is normally I stay with the ship,” Junmyeon starts, leaning against Galaxy’s now reclosed door, “I’m a sight less intimidating than Yifan at first glance, and people are more likely to want to board a ship like ours if they see a friendly face.”

 

It makes sense, Galaxy isn’t exactly the nicest looking of ships, that’s why Sehun had chosen her after all. Even so it doesn’t seem like there are many, if any, people looking to get on a ship anyway. Veles isn’t exactly a major destination.

 

Somewhere between Junmyeon talking about weather patterns and Taeyeon’s (mostly legal) shipping needs, Sehun’s lulled to sleep by the heat and the soothing timbre of Junmyeon’s voice. He’s woken up by Junmyeon lightly shaking his shoulder, déjà vu creeping in, “See them?” Junmyeon points into the crowd and Sehun sees a small group looking out of place.

 

There’re three of them, all seemingly men, all seemingly young, “Students,” Junmyeon whispers, “I know the look. They must be from the academy on Ekwentsu.”

 

The trio reach the docks, and Sehun realizes why two of them were walking unsteadily, between the two tallest boys is a large crate, “So, what do we do?” Sehun asks and Junmyeon winks.

 

“Smile and wave.”

 

*

 

The oldest, and shortest, of the students is named Baekhyun. It turns out Junmyeon was right and they’re all students based out of Ekwentsu, Baekhyun himself studying to be a medic. Baekhyun seems to be the de facto leader, so Junmyeon takes him aside and gestures for Sehun to make nice with the others while he gives him a tour.

 

The tallest one has taken a seat on their crate, while the other looks around nervously. Sehun wonders if they have something to hide, or if he’s just shy.

 

“I’m Chanyeol,” says the seated one with a too wide smile. His hair is all over the place, so much so Sehun can hardly believe he’s in a military academy. Chanyeol gives a wave to go with his introduction, and uses the momentum of his arm to pat the other, “and this is Jongin.”

 

Jongin inclines his head once, meeting Sehun’s eyes before going back to sizing up Galaxy.

 

“I’m Sehun, the ship’s called Galaxy.”

 

“We heard,” Chanyeol laughs, it’s full bellied and boisterous and the force of if knocks Chanyeol off his perch. Jongin shushes him, looking around them to see if it attracted any attention.

 

Junmyeon and Baekhyun come back from the depths of the ship, and Baekhyun sends a big smile and a thumbs up to his friends, “The ship’s nice,” he says, “and willing to take us where we need to go.”

 

“And where is that?” Sehun asks.

 

“Athena, we’re on leave and that’s where my family is,” Baekhyun replies coolly. Athena isn’t exactly close, it’s one of the rare well off outer planets; it has the illusion of self-government. Imperial presence isn’t large there, and it’s mainly a place for artists: a getaway. Sehun’s heard it’s beautiful.

 

Chanyeol and Jongin pick up their crate, grunting under its weight, and start to move on to the ship behind Baekhyun.

 

“He payed upfront,” Junmyeon says, before shaking the coin in his pocket, “there’s nothing quite like homesick soldiers.”

 

*

 

It’s still light when the others get back, but Sehun feels deathly tired. Introductions are made, and Sehun watches as Minseok shoos a struggling Chanyeol away to help Jongin carry their crate to their rooms, Luhan had offered to let them keep it in the cargo bay but all three insisted it stay with one of them. As Minseok picks up the handle he lets out a little groan, “What’s in here a dead body?” he laughs, and Jongin chuckles weakly, straining under the weight himself.

 

“You look ready to drop,” Yixing says, nudging Sehun shoulder to shoulder.

 

“I am,” Sehun yawns, “I haven’t felt this full in what feels like forever; it’s nice, but sleepy.”

 

“Mmm,” Yixing agrees, “before I forget, Zitao needs some help putting away the fruits we got in the market place. He’ll be either en route to the kitchens or already there.”

 

Yixing pats his back and runs off to do Yixing things, and Sehun heads to find Zitao. He finds him in the kitchens, as promised, crates of fruit around him, looking vaguely distressed.

 

“A little birdy told me you might need some help?” Sehun chides, leaning in the doorway.

 

Zitao looks up, shooting a glare, “I don’t need help.”

 

“Cool, I’ll be off then,” Sehun makes to leave, but Zitao grabs him by his sleeve.

 

“Don’t be an , come carry some pears.”

 

Sehun laughs, letting himself be dragged back in the room and starts to carry crates to their proper places, or at least wherever there’s space.

 

*

 

Helping Zitao leaves Sehun even more exhausted than before; he never imagined manual labour could be so taxing. The perks of android staff, he supposes.

 

When he reaches the quarters he sees Baekhyun standing in an adjacent doorway, “I’m just saying Nini, these people give me good vibes oh, hey Sehun.”

 

Sehun waves, not sure if that was an indication he’s entering a conversation or not. Baekhyun turns to face him though, so he figures he’s in.

 

“How long have you been with the crew here, if you don’t mind me asking,” Baekhyun continues, calling Sehun over with a hand.

 

“Just over a week actually,” Sehun laughs, stepping next to Baekhyun to find Jongin sitting on a bunk, crate against the far wall.

 

“Really?” Baekhyun’s eyebrows shoot up into his fringe.

 

“Your next question’s why right?” Sehun butts in, and Baekhyun shrugs, “I’m a runaway, and it turns out Yifan’s a cool captain.”

 

“I’m not sure ‘cool’s the word I’d use,” Jongin says quiet enough that Sehun almost misses it.

 

Baekhyun laughs sharply, “Cool has many facets... but you’re tired aren’t you?” he turns to face Sehun fully, “I’ll let you get your rest, it’s not like we won’t have ample time to get to know one another.”

 

Sehun nods and waves goodnight, heading to his own room. Baekhyun’s right, Athena’s a long trip away. They’ll all be seeing lots of each other.

 

*

 

This time when they leave orbit Sehun’s practically used to the rumbling. He’s in the observation deck again, with Zitao and Jongin. Sehun finds it oddly satisfying to be the one laughing as Jongin pales along with the shaking of the ship.

 

“There’s no way this ship is sound,” he says after they break orbit, “I’m an engineer, I know this stuff.”

 

“It’s ‘cause Minseok has to run her by him— you’re an engineer?” Zitao spins and grabs Jongin’s arm.

 

“Yeah...” he trails off, staring at his shoes.

 

“Athena’s far off, you’re coming with me and helping Minseok.”

 

Zitao tightens his hold on Jongin, as Jongin’s eyes bug out, and drags him towards the door. Sehun follows, not eager to be left alone and miss what’s bound to be a great scene.

 

It’s the first time he’s ever been in the engineering section of the ship. He hadn’t bothered to get closer acquainted with it than Luhan’s initial tour had made him. Stepping through the doors to the engineering section is like entering another ship. There’s a haze of heat in the air as soon as the door shuts, and the lights are dimmer.

 

Jongin looks around interestedly, as Zitao stomps on with a purpose. Zitao stops in front of a room labelled, Engine Room, and knocks on the door jamb.

 

“One second!” comes Minseok’s muffled response from somewhere in the machinery.

 

A few moments later Minseok’s head pops out from the corner, “Ah, Taozi, what do you need me for?” he asks, walking over towards them and wiping the grease from his hands.

 

“You remember Jongin right gege? Well, he’s an engineer!” Zitao says, swinging his and Jongin’s connected arms.

 

“In training...” Jongin mumbles, looking up at Minseok before staring beyond him at the machinery, face red.

 

“Oh!” Minseok brightens, smile squishing his cheeks up, “Wanna help me out? Galaxy could use another friend who knows her like I do, and Athena’s a long way off.”

 

Jongin gives the room another once over before looking to Zitao and Sehun; Zitao blinks expectantly, and Sehun shrugs. He turns back to Minseok and smiles himself, “Yeah, actually, I think I’d like that.”

 

Minseok smiles even brighter and grabs Jongin’s wrist out of Zitao’s grip, “Make yourself at home then; let me show you around.”

 

As Minseok leads Jongin into the engine room, Zitao slips an arm around Sehun’s shoulders, “I wonder if one of them can cook...” he muses and Sehun laughs.

 

“There’s no way we’d be so lucky.”

 

*

 

Dinner comes and Sehun sits down to a meal. Not a collection of ration packets strewn across the table, but a real meal. There’s meat and everything. He looks to Zitao beside him, and then to Luhan who’s just come in after them, to see if they have any idea what’s going on, but both look just as surprised as he is. Luhan even looks vaguely suspicious.

 

Out of the kitchen steps Chanyeol, with an apron, an apron, Sehun didn’t even know they had one on board, and smiles, bringing a bowl of fresh greens to the table, “I noticed your kitchen was pretty sad looking; I hope you don’t mind if I spruced it up a little.”

 

Luhan’s jaw drops, and Zitao sends a look that says ‘told you so’ to Sehun who just shakes his head, “N-no, that’s— I don’t mind at all,” Luhan stutters, oddly beside himself.

 

“Wow, we should really keep you guys around,” Zitao says, taking his seat as the rest of the crew and passengers file in, and Chanyeol laughs, mirth echoing as he slaps his knees.

 

It’s a tighter fit with ten people opposed to the regular seven, but it’s much homier. Conversation carries on, and elbows get in the way. At one point Zitao makes for the last piece of poached pear, but Baekhyun beats him to it, chopsticks swiping the fruit before Zitao can make it halfway there. Zitao looks to Baekhyun with a whine, but Baekhyun just whines back before biting in and chewing with exaggerated joy.

 

As the youngest, Sehun, Zitao, and Jongin get roped into cleanup. Sehun finds he can do nothing, but stare enviously as Junmyeon, Yixing and Luhan face off against Minseok, Chanyeol and Baekhyun in a game of foosball, with Yifan acting as, totally necessary, referee. Zitao elbows him sharply, and Sehun sighs, taking the dish that’s offered to him and drying it.

 

It’s kind of amazing the transformation Chanyeol was able to make in the kitchen after barely a day. There’s hardly any dust to be seen, and their pantry’s stocked with real food. Luhan’s even laughing, and it’s terrifying, but also really cool, and Sehun thinks he could get used to this, this feeling of closeness despite being practically strangers.

 

*

 

Nothing, of course, lasts forever. Two weeks into their trip they drop out of jump, though Sehun has no idea why. One minute he’s trying to spar with Zitao while Baekhyun heckles from the sidelines, and the next Yifan’s in full on ‘captain mode’ barking for them to straighten up and be in the cargo bay in ten minutes, “Clean up your rooms on the way, they’ll want to search.”

 

Sehun looks to Zitao who shrugs, “I dunno, it’s probably a routine checkpoint. They’re kinda stressful, and we try to avoid them, but sometimes there isn’t a way around, and for once we aren’t even actively doing anything illegal.”

 

Baekhyun’s gone oddly quiet in the background, but Zitao doesn’t seem to notice, hopping off after Yifan almost happily, hand flattening his hair. Sehun turns to look at Baekhyun and sees him pale, eyes flickering up to meet Sehun’s before flitting away, “You okay?”

 

Baekhyun nods, swallowing nervously. It really isn’t a good look on him, “Let’s go,” he says, cracking a pale imitation of a smile, “don’t wanna keep Yifan waiting.”

 

*

 

There isn’t really anything in Sehun’s room, but he’s thankful enough Yifan had said something once he realizes he’d put his missing persons poster up on the wall as a kind of trophy. It wouldn’t do any good for government officials to have any reason to put two and two together, not in the middle of nowhere.

 

Sehun meets a still rather pale Baekhyun in the hall and they head off to the cargo bay in silence.

 

*

 

By the time they reach the cargo bay Baekhyun seems to have squashed most of his outward anxiety. It isn’t something Sehun understands, he himself never having had to bother with things like ship sweeps from imperial police.

 

Upon reaching the cargo bay, it seems most everyone else has some idea of what standard protocol is. Galaxy’s crew stands together in the centre of the bay by the doors, to their left stand Chanyeol and Jongin who are talking to each other in hushed, anxious tones. Sehun wonders if he should be anxious too from the tension hanging in the air, but chalks it up to it being the trio’s first time in this situation, and instead tries to take his emotional cues from Yixing who seems to be joking with an increasingly frowny Luhan.

 

Baekhyun runs past him and over to Jongin and Chanyeol, lips white from the pressure of being pushed together. He snaps something at Chanyeol who glares icily down at him, and before anything else can happen the bay doors open.

 

Everyone snaps up straight as the door opens fully and on steps a middle aged imperial captain. He sweeps the room with his eyes, and Yifan steps forward, “I’m the captain of this ship, feel free to do what needs to be done.”

 

The imperial captain nods stiffly, pulling out a tablet before calling in a few lower ranked soldiers. Luhan speaks up as second in command and leads them towards the personal quarters. The commander himself moves around the cargo bay, looking around coldly. There aren’t any crates around, all of them having been dumped off at Taeyeon’s on Veles, but the commander kicks lightly at the walls, no doubt searching for secret compartments.

 

Yifan doesn’t look very happy about the treatment his ship’s getting, but Minseok looks resigned. Sehun moves over to Junmyeon who looks just about dead on his feet, “Long night?”

 

Junmyeon laughs quietly, “You have no idea how stressful jump flight is Sehun, be glad for that.”

 

Their arms brush, and Sehun follows Junmyeon’s line of sight. Chanyeol’s crouched on his feet, teeth worrying at his bottom lip, while Baekhyun paces impatiently, “What do you think’s got them so worried?”

 

“Honestly?” Junmyeon says, challenge in his eyes, “they’re smuggling something. I’m almost sure of it, whatever’s in that crate of theirs isn’t supposed to be. I didn’t think anything of it before, but this scene is pretty telling.”

 

“You think?”

 

“I’m at about... 89% right now?”

 

Sehun laughs, and as if on cue the soldiers and Luhan return, “Sir,” one of them says to the commander, “Everything here seems fine, but there’s one crate we couldn’t open.”

 

Baekhyun stops pacing.

 

All eyes turn to the three boarders, and Junmyeon winks at Sehun slyly, “It’s just books,” Jongin says, and it’s convincing except that no imperial soldier takes any unknown quantity at their word.

 

The commander grabs Jongin by the arm, yanking him up from his place beside Chanyeol and gestures for the soldier to lead the way. Everyone files after them, expressions ranging from majorly pissed off (Yifan and Luhan) to frightened (Baekhyun and Chanyeol).

 

The march to Jongin’s room is surprisingly quiet, the only sounds being the stomp of feet on the floor. Opening the door and stepping inside, the commander pushes Jongin over in front of the crate, “Open it,” he barks, and Jongin’s breathing speeds up, poorly suppressed panic in his every mannerism.

 

There’s a small commotion behind Sehun, in the hall, not enough to catch the attention of the soldiers, but enough to make him wonder. He turns his head slightly to see Minseok and Luhan slowly bringing their previously hidden guns to life. Sehun gulps and turns back around, he’s never seen a firefight.

 

“Open it!” the commander orders again, and this time Jongin does.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jongin whispers, but not to the crowd.

 

For a few heartbeats there’s nothing, but then Sehun sees movement and up from the crate sits another boy, “It’s okay,” the boy in the crate says, he turns his head to face the rest of the crowd and Sehun finally sees why they would go through such lengths to keep him a secret.

 

Wide eyes scan the group, and Sehun would almost believe they were human were it not for the dull green light that circles around the pupils. The rest of the face is nearly flawless, thick eyebrows and heart shaped lips, but there’s a chunk of flesh missing from the juncture where his neck meets shoulder, metal tendons catching the light. He’s an android, an android who should be at the military academy, those gossips hadn’t been off, and the empire is very possessive of their property.

 

The commander yells something, and in a flash a fight explodes. Someone grabs the bottom of Sehun’s shirt and pulls him back, as Minseok and Luhan take out all the soldiers before they can even react. It’s fast, it’s bright, and Sehun feels like he might just puke were it not for a steadying hand on his back.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jongin repeats, this time to the group.

 

“There’ll be time for that later, right now we need to leave,” Yifan says, oddly calm. He nods to the crew and Junmyeon and Yixing run off towards their rooms.

 

“We only have a few minutes before the rest of the imperials start to think something’s wrong,” Minseok says.

 

“Can you fight?” this time it’s Luhan.

 

“We weren’t lying about being in the academy,” Baekhyun scoffs.

 

Yixing pops out of his and Luhan’s shared room with an armful of weapons, “Good,” Luhan continues, “then grab yourselves some guns.”

 

Junmyeon comes back moments later, breath unlaboured, holding his own gun, “Junmyeon,” Yifan starts, “I want you to take Sehun and...” he looks to the android who gives a half smile.

 

“Kyungsoo,” it says, and its voice is smooth despite his obviously outdated tech. The androids who worked at Sehun’s mansion had been virtually indistinguishable from humans save for their uncanny stares and stiff demeanours.

 

“and Kyungsoo, to your quarters. Keep them there until I give the all-clear.”

 

Junmyeon nods, and Sehun finds himself dragged along the corridors, the android behind him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: happy holidays, i meant to update this weekly, but i'm sure everyone else had the same terrible week i did last week. i know saying it that way minimized things, but it's easier for me than expressing how maudlin i currently am.