❥ one

strawberry

"It's been only three days since school started and you're already studying for the first semester exams? Are you serious?"

Jennie looked up from her calc notes to see her friend Jisoo hovering over her with an expression of disbelief. Giving her a sheepish smile, Jennie motioned for her to sit in the chair in front of her, shooting a wary look at the librarian who was eyeing them wryly from her position at the front of the library entrance.

"Well, my scholarship's not going to fall out of the sky by itself." Jennie replied, "I gotta work hard for it."

"Yeah, but," Jisoo eyed the three huge books in front of Jennie, "I mean, it's been only three days since school started. Don't you think you're stressing yourself out too soon?"

"I'm not stressing myself out," Jennie laughed, "I'm just catching up on my notes. We were way too crazy during break. I didn't have time to study then, so I'm making up for it now."

"Isn't that advanced calc?" Jisoo slid down into the chair in front of her and placed her bag in front of her on the mahogany table, "Don't we learn that, like, this year?"

"Might as well just study it now." Jennie shrugged.

Jisoo stared at her for a moment, "So you're really serious about getting this scholarship?"

"Of course I am," Jennie replied, turning back to her book, "You know the that went down last year. My father refuses to send me to college unless I get a scholarship. I have no choice, really."

"No offense, but, after what you did last year, do you think the government might give you one?" Jisoo asked, cupping her own face and leaning across on the table, "We got into some pretty bad . It's surely on all of our records by now."

Jennie paused for a moment and Jisoo saw her wince, "Sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up." She said, leaning back and reaching into her bag, "I just wanted to know if you'll get one after all of... it."

"Trust me, I'm just as curious as you are." Jennie said quietly, "I've seen the vice principal these past few days as well as some teachers but they never mentioned anything about the scholarship to me."

"Well, I'm really hoping you'll get it." Jisoo said, reaching into her bag and pulling out her text books, "You've been talking about getting into Seoul National University for about three years now."

"You're gonna hear more about it from this year as well," Jennie grinned at Jisoo who groaned playfully, swatting at her with her pen.

"That sounds so great." Jisoo said sarcastically while Jennie let out a small laugh and returned to her studying.

❥ 

"I'm just going to run through everyone's attendance, so please raise your hand if you're present." 

It was the next day at school, and Jennie looked up from her laptop screen as her homeroom teacher pulled out a file to check their attendance. She closed her laptop and slid it into her bag, glancing at the raindrops hitting the classroom window.

What ugly weather, she frowned, and quickly raised her hand as the teacher called out her name.

"Kim Jisoo?"

Jennie smiled as she saw Jisoo who had been texting someone with her phone under her desk quickly yell out 'Here!', instead of raising her hand like she was supposed to. The class erupted into small fits of laughter, making Jisoo flush with embarrassment. The teacher shook his head and went forward, choosing to ignore the fact that she had been texting.

"Lee Taeyong?" 

The teacher looked up at the class, a frown on his face.

"Lee Taeyong?" He repeated.

The entire class went into a quiet buzz as they turned in their seats to look for the said boy who didn't seem to be present.

"He didn't come to school today, no surprise." Lisa, who was sitting next to Jennie whispered to her.

"He never comes to school, does he?" Jennie said, looking back at the empty seat at a corner of the classroom, where he was supposed to sit.

Nobody knew much about him as they didn't see him often, but one thing that everyone did know was that Taeyong was drop dead gorgeous. On the rare days that he did bother to show up, Jennie remembered seeing girls fawning around him, like a bunch of bees trailing after a pretty flower. The boy couldn't brush his hair back without girls squealing and drooling. To Jennie, it was cringe worthy to watch. She felt second hand embarrassment because of the girls. They lacked manners and dignity.

"I heard he got involved in a gang." Lisa said, looking at Jennie seriously with her brown eyes wide open, "And he got in huge trouble. Apparently, they involved cops."

"Those are just fruitless rumors, Lisa," Jennie smiled, shaking her head, "Don't believe everything that people say. He could be sick, and miss school, you know." It was an unlikely story, but Jennie wasn't in a position to be swallowing up rumors about others with greed.

"What, for the entire second semester?" Lisa huffed, "Jennie, he didn't show up to school even once during the second semester last year. You think he's sick? He's just blowing off school and probably hanging around with his gang friends. He's just lucky that his father's the chairman of the school. He can act any way he wants."

This was true. Taeyong had quite the reputation in the school. Skipping school was the least harmless thing he did. The worst he did was setting fire to the school principal's car. Jennie remembered her classmates saying that he was suspended for a month, and the school had been considering his expulsion. However, since his father was the chairman, there was quite a difficult path blocking the school's objective. The worst punishment the school could give him was suspension, and it seemed from Taeyong's crazy antics that he was fully aware of it as well.

"Sounds to me like you're jealous of him," Jennie laughed, "I know you want to skip school too."

"I would, if my mother didn't force me to go," Lisa pouted, and looked back at the teacher as he massaged his temples with a tired face.

He looks so done, Jennie thought in amusement, He shouldn't even bother checking to see if Lee Taeyong shows up to school or not. It's guaranteed he'll never come. 

The teacher seemed to be thinking exactly the same thing. Jennie saw him crossing out Taeyong's name with his pen, scowling darkly.

After finishing the role calls, he placed the file on the desk, and looked up at the silent class.

"Well, you know what I want from all of you." He said, and smiled as he was met with groans from all the students in the class, "Yep, you know."

"Know what?" Jennie whispered to Lisa who only shrugged. The girl was just as clueless as she was.

"We're selecting the president of the senior class today." The teacher announced, "Anyone interested?"

To Jennie's surprise, nobody in her class raised their hands. Everyone either looked away or pretended to be suddenly occupied by something else. This appeared extremely weird to her, especially since she remembered that their class had fought over the same position like a pack of hungry dogs last year. There was apparently something holding them back this year.

"Anyone?" The teacher said, and trailed off in silence, as nobody responded. He looked around the classroom and his eyes landed on Jennie, expecting her to agree, but she looked away as well. After everything that she did last year, she wasn't sure that she wanted to be the president. She would most likely get outvoted by her classmates, who still acted distant and rather cold towards her.

She could already hear them say Oh, her? I'd rather start working in MAMA after I graduate rather than let someone like her be our president. 

The teacher was obviously disappointed with the lack of leadership shown by the class. Sighing, he picked up his files, and said, "Alright, have it your way." He turned to walk out of the class, but not before turning around and saying, "Kim Jennie, please go to the counsellors' room after school."

Jennie stood outside the counsellors room, nervously looking at the shiny door that seemed to loom up before her eyes. 

Quickly, she went through everything she had done since the year started to remember whether or not she had done or said anything problematic that was sure to get her in trouble. Relief washed over her for a split second as she couldn't come up with anything, but it went away again as quickly as it came, realizing that no matter how well behaved she was during this year, her homeroom teacher had still requested her to be there anyway.

"Well, it's better to find out what I did, I guess." Jennie murmured to herself as she pushed the door open.

A cold blast of air conditioner greeted her as she went in, and her eyes went wide in surprise as she saw her principal and two other management teachers sitting in the room, along with the schools' counsellor and her homeroom teacher. Why were so many people there? Did she unconsciously do something after all?

"Ah, Miss Kim, please take a seat." Her homeroom teacher, Mr Park said, motioning for her to sit down at the chair placed in front of them.

Her hands suddenly breaking out in a cold sweat, Jennie went and sat down on the chair, wiping her hands on her gray school skirt.

"Don't look so nervous, dear," the counsellor smiled at her warmly, "We didn't call you in here to scold you."

Jennie let out a small sigh of relief, feeling grateful that she didn't have to sit there and listen to them throw shade at her attitude. Curiosity sparked inside her. What did they need to tell her then?

"Yes, we called you in here because we received some news that you might like to hear." One of the management teachers said, pulling out a file.

Jennie glanced at the black file. It was shiny and had a tag pasted on the front that said 'Authorized Personnel Only'. Whatever it was, it looked important.

"We know your grades are excellent," the man continued, "And there is a high chance for someone like you to get into the most prestigious universities our country has to offer. You're capable of so much, and you have a lot of potential in you, Miss Kim."

Where is this going? Jennie thought, staring at the man.

"We received a small notice from the government a few days ago." He said, pulling out a letter sealed with a wax stamp, "It's highly confidential, so we can't show it you, however..." He looked at the woman sitting next to him who spoke next.

"We can still inform you of what the contents are." She said, her voice surprisingly high pitched, "The government is willing to give a scholarship to one student from this years graduating class."

"And after taking much into consideration, we decided that it should be you." The man said, "You have all the academic skills that are required and that meets the standard of Seoul National University."

Jennie's heart suddenly started to beat faster. She couldn't follow what they were saying very well, but she did understand what they were trying to put across. She was chosen to be given the scholarship? Was this a dream?

She pinched her own fingers lightly, her heart starting to beat even faster. This wasn't a dream. This was real. What they were saying was real. She was getting a scholarship?

"Of course," the principal spoke up this time, "There are a few actions that may ruin your chances of getting into Seoul National University." He looked at her, his face strict, "If the government finds out about any of the incidents you caused last year, it's guaranteed that you'll lose your chances of getting in."

Jennie's mouth went dry, and her spirit that had gradually been soaring up to cloud nine came crashing down back to earth. 

Of course this'll happen. Jennie thought, biting her lip. Karma always got the last laugh, after all.

"However," the principal continued, "We are willing to remove any sort of activity from your records to make it clean, if you're willing to cooperate with us."

"Cooperate with what?" Jennie asked, her heart starting to race again.

"It's really simple, Jennie," Mr Park said in a strangely soothing voice, as if he was talking to a deer that was about kick off and disappear from the scene, which truly wasn't very much different from what Jennie was feeling at that moment, "You agree to be the president of this year's graduating senior class, and we will delete some unwanted information from your record and send it to the government."

Jennie looked at him, feeling a mixture of different emotions swelling up in her. They would remove her negative records in return for such a simple request? 

It was at that moment that she realized how truly corrupted and unorganized the behind the scenes of education was. Her school which had prided itself on being the most prestigious school in the district, was offering their student a chance to wipe their records clean in return for a simple favor. Did they not realize that what they were doing was illegal? It was something that could put the entire school under fire if it was revealed to the public.

"Miss Kim?" The principal asked impatiently, "Are you willing to take this offer? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for you. Do know that if you turn this request down, you will never get a chance like this again."

Jennie looked at him, desperately trying to decide whether or not she should accept it. On one hand, if she accepted it, she would get into her dream college, and that was enough. On the other hand, she clearly knew that what they were doing right know was illegal and wrong.

It's not like I didn't spend my entire last year doing wrong things, Jennie thought, finally deciding, everything, I'll just go for it.

"I'll do it." Jennie said quietly, "But I have a few questions first."

"The questions can come later," the principal said, "First, sign this contract." He nodded at woman who pulled out a few papers, and handed them to Jennie along with a pen.

"A contract?" Jennie echoed, staring at the paper with her eyes wide.

"It is to ensure privacy," Mr Park said, "Everything that we have talked about here is highly confidential and can ruin us if word got out."

At least you know what you are doing is illegal, Jennie thought, signing the contract.

"By signing it, you have agreed to keep quiet about this conversation, and not let anyone hear about it." Mr Park said, "Going against the contract will bring you financial harm."

"You'll fine me?" Jennie cried, looking up at him in horror.

"It's to be expected when two parties make a benefiting but risky deal, sweetheart." The woman flashed her an empathetic smile.

Jennie looked down at her sign on the paper. She wished she hadn't done that, she wished she had refused the offer, but it was too late now.

The woman took the paper and put it back into the envelope, sealing it.

"Um," Jennie said, "Can I ask you a question?"

"What is it?"

"When you said, cooperate with you, I didn't think that all you would want me to do was to become the class president."

All of the teachers seemed to look at her at once, and Jennie saw the counsellor take in a sharp breath.

"Jennie dear," She said, "Are you aware of the responsibilities you will have as the class president?"

"Well, yes, more or less." Jennie replied nervously.

"So you must know that, as part of your duty, you're in charge of making sure that the graduating class has a perfect attendance to show for their last year?" She continued.

"Um, yes. Why?"

"Miss Kim, why do you think nobody accepted the position today at class?" Mr Park said, leaning forward in his chair.

Jennie remembered that morning when he had asked if there was anyone that wanted the position, but nobody had accepted.

"I don't know." She replied honestly.

"It's because, as the responsibly of the president, you'll be making sure that everyone will be attending class unless a valid excuse comes up."

Jennie blinked at him. She couldn't understand, at that moment, what he was trying to say. The counsellor, seeing this, sighed.

"In layman terms, Jennie, you'll be making sure that students such as Lee Taeyong will be attending classes." She said.

Jennie's mouth dropped open. What had she gotten herself into? She preferred to rather give up on her dream college than waste her precious time trying to convince a delinquent to attend school. Not to mention that it was Lee Taeyong. The same person who had once set the principal's car on fire. She didn't want to associate herself with people like that.

Was that why her classmates didn't take up the position? They must have been aware that they would have Taeyong to deal with. This was their final year after all, and rather than waste away the entire year trying to make a delinquent attend school, they wanted to spend it wisely studying for exams and try to get into their desired colleges. And unfortunately for Jennie, she was now the president and has the worst chore of the year.  It seemed that karma was laughing at her, after all.

Jennie opened to tell them that she had changed her mind and that she wouldn't do it, until Mr Park mouthed 'record file', at her and pointed at the envelope holding the contract, which made her shut almost immediately.

Oh yes, she had signed a bloody contract.

Too late.



eek, I really hope you guys like my story. this is my first ever shot at writing a fan fiction, so comments are greatly appreciated! ^^ ♡