First and Last Chapter

Please Don't

First and Last Chapter: Heartbreaks and New Beginning

 

Je In hurriedly prepare herself for her first meeting with Se Hun. Their very first meeting after knowing about the arranged marriage through an article. With her brother, Henry, constantly knocking the door, Je In felt even more chaotic. It’s not that Je In would like to impress Se Hun, but first impression does matter – like wearing makeup in your own house when you have guests.

The thing about Je In is that, whenever she felt left behind of scheduled time, her anxiety couldn’t be stopped at once. She tried breathing normally, trying to calm herself but it didn’t seem to be working. She fidgeted her fingers as her brother drove her to the place she was supposed to meet Se Hun. No, not alone though. Both families will be there, to discuss the wedding matters. ‘Adult works’ as Je In would like to call it. She was still in daze as to what’s actually happening – she’s getting married. Something she didn’t dare to imagine to happen anytime soon. And this is all going to happen about 3 months from now. When she finally had a break from her works. Henry caught up and continued fast-walking beside Je In as he parked his car, Je In was too embarrassed to go into the restaurant alone so she thanked Henry for accompanying her. She took a seat, ushered by her parents, to sit beside her now-fiancé as her brother sat at her other side. They’re like each other’s sidekick. Best of friends. Some might think of the duo as an ideal siblings.

As they were eating, the parents were talking about an engagement party and a wedding with at least a month of gap. But all Je In could focus on was the food she was eating and the jokes her brother was telling her in a low voice, only for her to hear. But it turned out Se Hun could hear them too. Je In caught him smiling as Henry finished every sentence of his jokes, clearing his throat when he got caught by Je In, maintaining his poker face and smiled at the food he was eating. It was a classic move of Henry’s – to tell jokes or funny stories while they were eating. It was the unspoken ‘Try-Not-to-Laugh’ challenge.

 

Se Hun knew the plot behind his parents’ awkward act, leaving him and his fiancé as they finished eating and discussing the events. Soon after, Je In's parents did the same. Henry left a little bit later, telling them jokes to ease the awkward tension between them. Se Hun stood up almost immediately to shake Henry’s hands, still nervous around his fiancé’s family. He looked over to Je In who was finishing her drink. He signaled her, leaving the restaurant as the rest. Both figuring out where to go next, their space was full of silence and deep thoughts on what to say. They decided to go to a garden near the area. With few bodyguards looking out for reporters, they felt a little safer. But looking at their surroundings, the bodyguards seemed to attract more attention rather than keeping them on low profile, so Se Hun ushered them away until they’re out of sight.

Se Hun and Je In then began to pour their thoughts on their marriage – how strangers like them have been set up just to strengthen their business connections, and might even end them with bloodbath and blacklists. They began to tell each other about their families. How they grew up with having their every wishes fulfilled, taking them for granted, and what made them mature. It felt easier now they felt a good flow on keeping the conversation going. But one thing remained the same, their mutual feelings on just being friends and nothing more than that. Or at least just for now. There is still time to be closer to one another.

 

Je In called her best friend over for a little almost-midnight talk. A friend who knew about this engagement better than anyone, a friend she can rant out to as much as she wants and not judging her, and deep in her heart she claimed him to be her first love. Park Bo Gum. They were the idealized campus-couple. Although not officially. Everyone tried to set them both together. But they value their friendship even more. Even if it hurts, they want to just stay friends. Their silently-wounded hearts won’t be an issue. They’d hope so.

They agreed to meet at their favorite hangout spot, somewhere between Je In's house and Bo Gum's. “Meet me halfway,” they said. Whoever they are. They talked about earlier today. Je In talked about how she met Se Hun. Her first impression of him – good-looking, nice attitude, not stiff apart from being interrogated by her parents. Bo Gum let out a sigh as he propped his arms on the railing with his palm grabbing the rails. He was still facing Je In with concerned eyes. Je In looked at the empty wooden floor, sitting on the railing and dangling her feet. Silence filled their clouded minds.

Few seconds of deep heavy breaths, Bo Gum stood up straight in front of Je In. “Hey, let me tell you a secret,” Bo Gum began to break the silence. His eyes searched for hers until they met each other. “The biiiiiiiiggest secret I’ve never told you before.” He took a pause before he confessed. Je In smiled, her face leaned closer expecting the worst confession Bo Gum could ever make to ease her heavy heart.

“I love you.”

She was right. Half right. That was the worst confession he ever made. All the other lame confessions he made, or will ever make again, could never top that. The sudden confession made her think of the possibilities. On how she could've end up with Bo Gum instead of Se Hun. How she wished she could turn back time and actually confessed to him. How it felt like to actually date him and not just imagine it happening. Because she felt the same way. And they could never change their star-crossed fate. She frowned at her first love. Her eyes began to quiver as if she was trying to solve the last math problem before the time runs out.

He continued, “And I’ll always will. Remember that. We can still be friends. I’ll have your back no matter what. You being married won’t change a thing.”

She cried hearing it. She felt like running away right there and then. She couldn’t handle to break down in front of Bo Gum. But she decided to stay and stumbled on her feet. Broke down and cried. She controlled her tears. Not wanting to embarrass herself in front of him. Bo Gum seemed to know her feelings. He confessed his. And that is that. Everything would be normal. As if this night never happened.

 

Weeks have passed, Je In's works began to get lighter and Se Hun being pressured by the reporters more and more.

The engagement party was held in Je In's house. A private property where reporters are not allowed to enter except the invited ones – the professionally hired paparazzi. A grand spotlight could easily be set up in the middle of their empty corridor, just between the two huge semi-spiral stairs facing each other. As the event started, Mr. Lee called out the main stars of the night, and Se Hun and Je In came out of the hidden corridor upstairs. Se Hun took the left staircase and Je In took the right. They reached the center of the house and met with one another again. Se Hun then began taking out a box from his tuxedo, pulled out the ring and put it in Je In's left ring finger. Je In mirrored the action afterwards.

The crowds applaud and cheered for the happy couple, taking pictures of them smiling to one another and to the crowd. Je In's mind began to search for Bo Gum. Je In's eyes stopped searching as she found him. Bo Gum was focused on his drink, then looked up and met Je In's eyes darting to his. He smiled. Sad smile, knowing their friendship they both knew is hard to keep up with, was about to come to an end. He raised up his glass a little, a gesture of cheers to Je In.

Je In knew what comes next. She bit her lower lip, secretly chanted a mantra in her mind. Like knowing a sad scene would come and still hoping it wouldn’t but it did anyway.

Please don’t. Please don’t. Please don’t.

He took a sip before putting it down to the table near where he was standing. He smiled for the last time before turning around, facing his back to the main star and began to leave the party.

Je In knew he was going to do that. He always leaves luxurious parties earlier than anyone. He only came to see the main event and left when it was over. Je In's heart sank a little to know that Bo Gum left, but continued to keep a smile on her face to entertain the guests. Jane’s first love just witnessed her engaged to another man, and both she and Blake didn’t have any chance to rebel against it. How cruel it was for him to witness his first love get engaged to another man. Right in front of his eyes.