3/3

Intertwined

 

 

Daehyun let out an awkward laugh, “Before you say anything, just… come with me.” The older gestured loosely for the other to follow. Youngjae continued being puzzled, “ What? No way! You tell me what’s going on here right now, what the actual flipping hell was that?” “Youngjae please, seriously just come on.” Daehyun shook his head, looking defeated. Something in him, mainly his curiosity told him to go, and that was his decision.

The two ended up going back to their famous meeting spot, Nakdong River. “You really couldn’t have picked a more nostalgic spot.” The two walked towards the riverfront and stared into the water. “You should have told me what you were thinking that day you know?”, The way Daehyun had spoken had made Youngjae tense up; he didn’t know what to say. The memory was painful, most likely for the both of them. “In senior year, I decided I had enough of just chasing you, I knew you always hung out with Himchan and Yongguk, so I confronted them about it one day.” Youngjae gulped, Himchan wouldn’t have told him, would he? “Himchan was stern and wouldn’t let me know about it no matter how many times I asked. I caught Yongguk after school one day, it took a lot of convincing, but he finally caved in and told me.” Youngjae’s heart fell. “Why didn’t you tell me, Jae?” Daehyun had turned around to face him while he said this.

Jae felt himself cracking under the immense pressure of Daehyun’s piercing stare, “I-I… I was scared! That day… You started talking about family, and all I could think about was my feelings. They-they were getting so strong Daehyun, I knew I would have broke and told you eventually, and I didn’t know how you would react.” “So you decided to ruin our friendship?” “I didn’t know what I was doing! I thought it would go away! Then the next time I see you I would be able to face you, but no, it hasn’t worked at all!” The silence had stretched after his confession, and Youngjae felt as if it was choking him. Here it was, the rejection that he was so fearful to receive in high school. He shut his eyes as he felt them begin to water and blur his vision, he couldn’t stare at Daehyun directly as he was crying. He didn’t open them until he felt warmth embrace his fingertips. He realized that Daehyun was holding his hand and he cracked his eyes open to find Daehyun still staring him directly. “I’m not lying when I said that you should have told me.” Youngjae, still on the verge of tears, whispered, “I’m sorry… I’m really sorry.” Daehyun squeezed the latter’s hand to reassure him, causing him to take in a gulp of breath, “Daehyun… I…” Youngjae shut his eyes, tears were close to slipping, “I… I…I’ve liked you for a long time now, and I still do… Daehyun… I love you.” As if the words were a signal the tears began escaping him. After holding in his emotions for so long, it felt like a hatch had unlocked, and everything was flooding with water. The two share a warm embrace for a long while, Daehyun offered Youngjae to sit down seeing as the other was losing all sense of reality, and the two practically stumble down.

They ended sitting there for a good portion of time, most likely an hour or so. Spending most of that time calming down the emotions that built up and relishing in the newfound bliss. “Wait,” Youngjae breaking the silence again, “Does that mean we’re together now?” Daehyun smiled at the latter, “I mean I thought that was obvious?” Youngjae flushed, “Oh wow. Okay. Oh my gosh.” Daehyun began laughing melodically, “What? Shocked to be dating the Supreme Leader Jung Daehyun?” Youngjae scoffed and smacked him lightly on the shoulder, “Okay, don’t get cocky. It just dawned on me okay? After five years and everything.” “Alright alright, it was just a joke Jae-Jae.” The other boy frowned instantly, “Seriously get a new nickname for me cause I still hate it after five years.” “All the more reason to call you that!” Youngjae rolled his eyes, then something else dawned on him “Wait… Then what was going on with Seojung? She told me that I should hear it from you.” “Oh that… uh gosh. Well,” Daehyun tilted his head, “It’s embarrassing. God, okay. I had this strategic plan that involved me in being in a ‘relationship,” he air quoted. “And then I was going to have it come to a point where you confess to me WHILE I was in that relationship, but I mean you found her while she was out with her actual boyfriend.” Youngjae tilted his head, “I’m not sure if that plan would have worked in your favor.” “It sounded better in my head alright? I even asked Himchan about it.” Youngjae shook his head and chuckled, “Well I guess this works too then right?” “Yeah.” Daehyun smiled, and Youngjae returned the gesture, leaning his head on Daehyun’s shoulder.

   Somehow the riverfront didn’t seem so sad anymore.