Heartquake chapter 3

Heartquake



It was during their fourth practice together that Kyuhyun admitted that maybe it was an infatuation. Donghae had met her after his dance class, it seemed he often didn’t bother to change, body still shiny with a thin layer of sweat. Kyuhyun had to resist the urge to him. Donghae left Kyuhyun in his bedroom whilst he went for a shower. She was sat on the floor, looking through one of her text books, she couldn’t sit on his bed - it gave her too many mental images to cope with, and as a result broke her focus.

Donghae wandered into the room, rubbing his hair dry with a towel, the t-shirt he wore was unfairly tight with short sleeves. Kyuhyun’s self control was already tested but this - then the towel was gone and she was faced with a wet haired Donghae smiling at her. She gulped.

Donghae sat down next to her and got the music sheets out to go over. Kyuhyun could smell something citrus-like from Donghae and it gave her the mental images she had been trying to avoid, Donghae in the shower, rippling muscles under hot steamy water.

“Kyuhyun, are you okay?”

Crap. Kyuhyun focused on Donghae in front of her, had he been talking to her?

“Are you feeling ill?”

No, please, please don’t let him check my temperature like he did in the restaurant! 

Donghae leaned forward and put his hand to Kyuhyuns forehead, and she snapped. She threw herself forward, lips to Donghae’s, arms wrapping behind his neck. The shock of the fact she was kissing Donghae made her realise what it was she was actually doing and she shot up, grabbing her bag and ran out of the room shouting back.

“Oh God, I’m so sorry!”

She ran down the street trying to fight down the fear and embarrassment of what she had done, tears forming in her eyes. Donghae stood in the street, not fast enough to catch her barefoot, and clinging onto Kyuhyun's text book. One hand touching at the smile on his lips.

***

Kyuhyun avoided singing class the next day, not bothering to walk and meet the others. She even ignored her phone the twenty-four times Zhou Mi called her. She was too embarrassed to face Donghae, he probably hated her now, classed her with the girls who fawned over him like Jessica. Still, as she lay in bed she couldn’t help remember Donghae’s lips on hers, and the citrus smell was still bothering her as she drifted off to sleep.

It had only been two days since the kiss, but Kyuhyun was really starting to miss the boys. She was sat at her desk waiting for class to start. Sungmin was late; she was supposed to go to singing class again after school but instead she was planning to hide, maybe at Sungmin's house if she wasn’t working.

Sungmin wandered into the classroom, followed seconds later by Mr. Choi. Kyuhyun didn’t think this was particularly odd until she spotted how nervous Mr. Choi looked, and how smug Sungmin was with a big bite mark on her neck, hair tied up to show it off. Kyuhyun rolled her eyes as Sungmin slid into the seat next to her.

“So, any reason for your lateness?”

“Mr. Choi was just scolding me about my appearance, apparently its not ladylike to have a mark like this.”

“You mean he freaked out you were going to get caught?”

“Same difference.” Sungmin grinned at her.

“You are the devil! How could you, corrupting the innocent Christian teacher!”

“He didn’t complain.”

“He will when he gets fired.”

Both girls looked up to see Mr. Choi looking at their whispering fearfully. Sungmin winked at him, Kyuhyun just rolled her eyes again, scribbling on the notebook in front of her.

“Ming, can I come to yours after school?”

“Sorry sweetie I’m a bit busy tonight.” She glanced at Mr. Choi to emphasise her point.

“Ok, gross.”

“He’s actually quite y under the suit and glasses, and that tie doesn’t half come in useful!”

Kyuhyun shuddered.

“Besides which, don’t you sing today? What’s going on?”

“Nothing! I just don’t… feel like going.”

“Kyu..?”

“I kissed Donghae.”

Sungmin stared at her for a while. “And?”

“And what?”

“What did he say?”

“Nothing, I ran away.”

“Because that was the best thing to do. How do you know he doesn’t like you too?”

Kyuhyun shrugged.

“Sometimes I wonder how I let you get like this!”

Kyuhyun started copying down the notes from the board.

“I think you should go to class.”

“I don’t.”

Kyuhyun gave Sungmin a glare that would make stronger people stop talking.

***

Kyuhyun finished all her homework and stared at her clock. An hour? She had only managed to kill one measly hour? Time was moving deliberately slow to spite her. She lay on her bed staring at the ceiling; instantly Donghae’s face appeared in her head. She couldn’t avoid class forever. Maybe she should just go now, she could still catch the end - no, she couldn’t face him. There was a knock on her door.

“Kyuhyun, I’m going to my evening class. Will you be alright here?”

Her mum pushed the door open leaning around to look at her and Kyuhyun turned her head to look back.

“Yeah mum, I’ll be fine.”

“There’s a boy downstairs waiting for you.”

What? Who? 

“Is it Zhou Mi?”

“Not unless he’s learnt to talk without an accent. Anyway I’m going, see you later kiddo!”

“Yeah, bye.”

Kyuhyuns heart was pounding. It couldn’t be. He didn’t know where she lived, did he? Yes. He walked her home... but it wouldn’t be him, maybe it was Heechul. Kyuhyun stood facing her open bedroom door, frozen to the spot with fear. She couldn’t go down there, what if it was him.

“Kyuhyun?”

Donghae’s voice floated to her from much closer than downstairs. Her head shot up as he appeared in the doorway, her history book held in his hands. Kyuhyun opened to speak but she seemed to have forgotten how, her face increasing in redness. She finally managed to choke out a few quiet words.

“Why are you here?”

Great Kyuhyun, really eloquent. 

“You left your book. I’ve been trying to give it back to you for days, but you were too busy avoiding me.”

“I… wasn’t.”

Kyuhyun didn’t even convince herself.

“Really?”

Kyuhyun nodded her head trying to think up a good lie.

“Because Zhou Mi says you’ve never missed a class before, even when you’ve been sick. You’ve missed two this week.”

Stupid Zhou Mi, this was all his fault in the first place. Donghae walked into Kyuhyun's room, closing the door behind himself and reaching around Kyuhyun to drop the heavy book onto her desk.

“So, are you going to tell me why you ran away?”

Kyuhyun stared at the floor, cheeks burning. There was nothing she could say to make this alright, Donghae would hate her forever, he…

“It wasn’t that horrible was it?”

Kyuhyun’s head shot up, Donghae was looking at her like a kicked puppy.

“I don’t…”

Kyuhyun paused, looking back down at her feet.

“Don’t what?”

“Understand! Why do you think I ran away, Ikissed you!”

“Yes, and if you hadn’t freaked out maybe I would have had chance to kiss you back.”

Kyuhyuns mouth made a little ‘o’ as what Donghae had said finally clicked in her brain, Sungmin's words running through her head. ‘How do you know he doesn’t like you?’

“You… like me?”

Donghae laughed nervously.

“Something like that, yeah.”

Kyuhyun didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. She suddenly felt awkward standing in the middle of her room, but before she had chance to move to her desk chair Donghae was right in front of her, hand under her chin, tilting her head up, staring right into her eyes.

“Don’t you dare run away.”

Donghae’s arms slid around her waist, pulling her as close as he could, his head bending to capture her lips and it took less than a second for Kyuhyun to respond eagerly. Donghae walked her backwards until she hit the desk, kissing down her jaw and biting softly at her neck as his hands slid down her sides, over the school uniform she was still wearing, his hands wrapping around her legs and lifting her onto the desk. She grabbed his tie and pulled him forwards between her legs, pushing his blazer from his shoulders as moulded back onto his.

As one of Donghae’s hands slid up her legs and under her skirt, Kyuhyun couldn’t believe that this was finally happening; so many times she had pictured this moment in her head, Donghae’s mouth on hers, her legs around his waist.

The thing she didn’t picture was the doorbell ringing. Kyuhyun ignored it, sliding her hands under Donghae’s shirt, nails digging into his sides as his tongue brushed across her lip. The doorbell rang again, this time accompanied by her cell phone ringing. Kyuhyun sighed impatiently. Donghae laughed, helping her down from the desk.

Kyuhyun ran down the stairs, fastening buttons she didn’t know Donghae had opened on her way. She opened the door grumpily to be faced with Sungmin with mascara tears running down her face.