1/1

Musical Chairs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae has never been good with words. Sungmin calls him a socially awkward noob, and although Hyukjae doesn’t know what a noob is, he has to agree with Sungmin about being socially awkward. He isn’t necessarily shy, just more reserved. It is one of the reasons he hasn’t asked Donghae out yet. Actually, he plans on never doing such a thing.

 

Hyukjae doesn’t know what it is; maybe it’s fear of rejection, or maybe it’s because he is convinced he and Donghae wouldn’t be a good match. Either way, Hyukjae is content with the way things were—at least that’s what he keeps telling himself.

 

Donghae is a free spirit that had no concept of personal boundaries. He would hang off of everyone’s arm, plant a few kisses on the cheek here and there, and even sit on your lap if you let him. All in all, Donghae is quite the flirt and a tease, so Hyukjae is sure the two of them wouldn’t mix well. Donghae would easily get bored with him, and Hyukjae had as much energy as his dead grandmother, clearly not enough to keep Donghae happy.

 

At least he gets to see Donghae each work day, gets to listen to all his corny jokes, gets to feel him latching onto his arm as they both stare at a computer screen, and gets to see his smile.

 

God, Donghae’s smile is beautiful. It is enough to light up a room and Hyukjae’s heart would soar each time one of those smiles were casted his way.

 

The best part about their current situation is getting the luxury of pretending Donghae was all his, that Donghae only ever acted intimate with Hyukjae, and that what they had between them was something special. Hyukjae knows its wishful thinking, but he can't help it. The heart wants what it wants. 

 

One of the most amazing things about Donghae is to ability to invade Hyukjae’s dark, broody personal bubble and fill it with his carefree laughter and happy vibes that he always seems to have around him. 

 

Hyukjae most certainly intends on keeping things the way they are. That is until Sungmin shatters his perfect world with one simple phrase.

 

“Let’s play musical chairs!”

 

“No,” Hyukjae says, immediately shooting down the idea. He can smell trouble from a mile away and this one in particular reeks just as all of Sungmin’s other ideas usually do. But it seems as if he is too late.

 

If Hyukjae is the mood killer of the office, then Donghae is the mood maker.

 

Donghae is already chasing people out of their chairs so that he can push them into the center of the room. He’s laughing merrily, already excited about the game. His excitement rubs off on the others and soon everyone is helping him rearrange the chairs.

 

Hyukjae stays planted in his own, watching the office explode into chaos. He is pretty sure every one of them is going to get fired.

 

But that didn’t seem to cross anyone else’s mind, especially not Henry who is, well, being Henry. The intern is hooting and climbing on top of his desk as if he’d misheard musical chairs for tabletop rave.

 

“Henry, get down,” Hyukjae grumbles, but it’s drowned out by Sungmin cheering on the younger office intern.

 

Hyukjae sighs, turning back to his computer, intent to ignore the disorder happening around him and instead focus on his work.

 

But then Donghae’s behind him, his chin on the top of Hyukjae’s head, hands shaking his shoulder as he tries to convince Hyukjae to join in on the fun.

 

Hyukjae’s pulse picks up considerably, and he caves into the touch, although trying not to show it.

 

“Come on, Hyukie. It’ll be fun,” Donghae whines, but Hyukjae isn’t so easily persuaded. Hyukjae refuses and Donghae quickly grows restless.

 

Hyukjae is in surprise when he’s suddenly effortlessly being pulled away from his desk and with a confused look around, he sees that Donghae has taken advantage of the wheels under his chair.

 

Somehow, Hyukjae ends up as the referee. He’s now sitting in the middle of a circle of about ten other office chairs and is forced to periodically press a button on Sungmin’s mini speaker as the entire office circles around him, singing along to Fergalicious and dancing–– if what half of them are doing can even be called dancing.

 

Hyukjae can’t keep his eyes off Donghae every time he passes in front of him. He looks so adorable with his silly dance moves that Hyukjae almost cracks a smile.

 

In the first five minutes, Ryeowook is already out, being too small to wrestle a chair away from Shindong. Kyuhyun quickly follows after Yesung forcefully removes him from a chair well after the music stops.

 

It is a very obvious violation, but Hyukjae is referee and he doesn’t like the way Kyuhyun is always using his stapler without refilling it, so there. Revenge at its finest.

 

Not surprisingly, the game boils down to a heated battle of jazz hands and moonwalking between Donghae and Sungmin. The rest of the office is cheering along and making bets, and Hyukjae feels like he’s in a high school cafeteria.

 

But before Hyukjae can press the play button for the final round to begin, Sungmin glances over at him and winks.

 

Hyukjae is more mildly repulsed than suspicious for a second until Sungmin opens his mouth and out comes his second bad idea for the day.

 

“Loser has to clean up while the rest of us go to lunch.”

 

Donghae doesn’t hesitate and agrees with a large smile, seemingly confident in his abilities to jump at the only chair left from the circle.

 

But one thing you learn very quickly is to never underestimate Sungmin.

 

Donghae ends up with a bruise to the side and a scarred dignity.

 

“Okay guys let’s go!” Sungmin calls out. The rest of the office reacts quickly, moving to grab coats and scarves off the back of chairs.

 

Hyukjae is about to get up off his referee chair to follow the bunch, but Donghae lunges at him, plopping down firmly in his lap. Donghae hooks his arms around Hyukjae’s neck and Hyukjae gets the hint that he isn’t going to be attending lunch.

 

“You have to stay and help me since you’re the ref,” Donghae says, not seeing how that logically makes no sense. But it isn’t like Hyukjae is going to leave anyway. Not when Donghae is hanging off onto him like this. Plus, it means some alone time with him, moments Hyukjae always jumps at.  

 

The rest of the office doesn’t look at all bothered by Donghae’s declaration and everyone gives a collective nod before they follow Sungmin into the elevator.

 

Hyukjae is just starting to get comfortable with Donghae in his lap, but all good things must come to an end. As soon as the elevator doors closed, Donghae slides off, leaving Hyukjae to sigh in disappointment.

 

But then Donghae grabs Hyukjae’s hand and forces him to stand, all the while sporting one of his usual excited smiles. That is one of the things Hyukjae admired about Donghae. He is always in a good mood. It is something Hyukjae couldn’t quite wrap his head around, always somehow being in a constant state of disinterest, instead.

 

Hyukjae thinks Donghae means for them to start their cleaning, so he goes to start pushing the chairs back where they belong. But then Donghae whines from behind him and Hyukjae suddenly feels hands latching onto him from behind in a back hug. Hyukjae glances down to see Donghae poking his head around to meet his eyes.

 

Donghae is pouting—something unusual for the usually flirty man. He never did act cute, most of the time with grins and smiles but never pouts.

 

Hyukjae’s eyebrow hikes up in a questioning look even though he’s melting inside. He doesn’t want the others to ever come back from lunch, doesn’t want this day to end, doesn’t want to go back to sharing Donghae.

 

“I don’t wanna clean up just yet,” Donghae says. Then his pout turns into a delighted, hopeful smile as he squeezes Hyukjae tighter. “Let’s play another round. This time you can actually play.”

 

Hyukjae knows Donghae is referring to the game of musical chairs. Hyukjae really doesn’t want to. He’s not good at things like this, and most of the time, it ends up feeling awkward and embarrassing. It is out of Hyukjae’s comfort bubble, but then again, Donghae is already invading that space.

 

Hyukjae doesn’t out right reject the idea, instead going for a shrug which he hopes will get his discomfort across, but Donghae just beams. He detaches himself from Hyukjae, and Hyukjae is left feeling needy for another one of Donghae’s warm hugs.

 

Donghae is already over by Sungmin’s music speaker and with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter