That Winter

It Would Have Been

Dowoon rubbed his red ears vigorously as he watched his leader address the huge crowd that had gathered around the band at Sinchon. Despite the freezing temperatures, their busking had managed to attract many of their fans and other passerbys, and this naturally lifted their spirits as they gave it their all in performing. He glanced at Wonpil who was standing on his left at the keyboard and chuckled as he watched Wonpil's legs shaking even while he tried to keep a smile on his face. The hyungs had bet with Wonpil that today would be colder than usual but the ever-obstinate keyboardist refused to heed their advice, which resulted in him leaving the dorm with only 2 layers on (everyone else wore 3). Still, the hyungs could not bear to see him sick, especially since he was already more prone to losing his voice than the other members were, so they made up for his lack of clothes by tossing heat packs to Wonpil throughout the performance. He definitely seemed more like the maknae of the group than Dowoon, but the drummer was always grateful for the way Wonpil supported him, just like last night, and the many other nights in which he woke up to Wonpil's comforting assurances. 

"1, 2, 3, we are DAY6, thank you for coming out today! Please go home safely and keep warm! See you at EveryDay6 December!" Sungjin ended off his greeting and the group stood up to bow before their audience together. At the cries for an encore, Jae snapped his fingers and the speakers started booming their May release, "Dance Dance". It was Dowoon's favourite part of every concert because he could get up from his position at the drums and jump around the venue, interacting with the fans present. His hyungs always got a little crazy too, and today was no exception as Jae started strumming Young K's legs like a guitar. Sungjin swung an arm around Dowoon and pulled him towards the adoring fans who screamed excitedly as he approached, and as he shyly waved at them and did his 'gashina' flower pose, a familiar pair of sparkling eyes caught his eye. 

Dowoon's smile froze on his face as his mind began to register where he had seen those eyes before. It took less than a second to realise who she was, if only because he already saw her so many times in his dreams. Straining his neck to get a better look at the crowd, he could no longer see her among the sea of excited fans, but before he could go closer to find her, he was pulled back to the rest of the band by Sungjin as they gathered for a final bow.

Even as they bowed, Dowoon could not get the image of her out of his mind. Why would she be here, in Sinchon? Why was she specifically here - to watch DAY6 perform? Was it a coincidence or was it deliberate? Had she forgiven him? Most importantly, how could he see her again? 

Noticing his wooden expression which was a polar opposite from his usual bubbly self, Young K nudged Dowoon as they walked back to their van. "Are you alright? What happened out there?" Dowoon looked up at him, conflicted, his deep eyes betraying his confusion and uncertainty. "Younghyun hyung, could you, could you cover for me for a little while? There's something I really need to check." Without waiting for a reply, Dowoon pulled up his face mask and ran back to the busking venue, leaving a shocked Young K in his wake. 

His heart thumping, Dowoon looked around desperately, hoping to catch a glimpse of those beautiful eyes again. He had lost all means to contact her after they broke up all those years ago - she had moved to another part of Korea, changed her number, deleted her social media accounts; he couldn't afford to lose her once again. Ignoring the stares of passerbys or fans who recognised him, he ran into the streets near their busking area, but as time passed, his heart continued to drop. She was just going to disappear once again, just like she did in the past. Was he going to have to live with this pain and regret forever? All he wanted was to meet her once again, to apologise, to tell her he had missed her, to tell her that he had loved her. 

Out of breath, Dowoon stopped by a nearby oak tree. He didn't know how far he had run from his band, but he knew for sure that he wouldn't be able to see her again. For all he knew, she might have hid from him after he saw her earlier. Dejectedly, he turned to return the way he had come, but that's when he saw her staring straight at him. 

Her lush black hair cascading down her brown coat, her fair skin slightly flushed from the cold, her eyes as deep and emotive as ever - she was just the way Dowoon had remembered. As they stared at each other in silence, Dowoon took a step towards her just as a snowflake fell from the sky. It was the first snow of 2017. It reminded him of that winter, when they had first entered each other's lives. He took the snowfall as a sign that this was a new beginning, a second chance, and he wouldn't lose her this time. 


3 Years Ago 

"Yah Dowoon, do you know that girl?" Dowoon's classmate Bogum nudged him as a girl started walking towards him. As one of the smartest and most good looking guys in school, Dowoon had always been popular among the girls, but this girl stood out. She had this aura about her, fiercely passionate and independent at the same time. As Dowoon turned to look at her, they made eye contact and the hairs on Dowoon's skin started to stand. She was unlike any other girl he had ever seen and at once, he started to feel a tugging in his heart. She was the one, he was sure of it. "Annyeong! I'm Hye Jin." She stuck out her hand to him, and as Dowoon slowly accepted it, a snowflake fell from the sky. It was the first snow of 2014.