Soulmates

Snowflakes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soulmates

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Taehyungie!" Jeongguk rushed up to the older boy, pulling his cloak tighter around him, his breath a white cloud in front of him. "Where are you going?"

Taehyung glanced at the boy with surprise at first, but his gaze turned affectionate when he recognized who it was. Jeongguk clung to his arm, grinning happily. The snow fell in gusts around them, and it was so pretty.

"I'm going to get turkey," Jeongguk blinked wide, innocent eyes at him, curious. He had never seen a turkey before, much less taste one. Taehyung face palmed himself internally, groaning when he realized what he just said. Jeongguk's family was poor, and he could barely afford sufficient rice for their whole family.

"What's a turkey?" Jeongguk slipped his small hand into Taehyung's larger one, as they strolled along the streets, chimneys billowing smoke and shops glittering brightly with candles and lanterns. The village had transformed overnight, the festive season appearing in all its glory.

"A turkey is what people eat to celebrate Yule," Taehyung explained, hoping he wouldn't hurt Jeongguk. "We say turkeys bring good ones for the family."

"Really?" Jeongguk gaped when the village wise-elf passed by with a cart full of squawking turkeys. "Are those turkeys?"

"Yes," Taehyung tightened his grip on Jeongguk's hand, pulling him away. "Come on, hyung's buying you some candy."

"Hyung is the best!" Jeongguk skipped after Taehyung, chirping merrily. Jeongguk might not be wealthy enough to afford turkeys or candies, but his Taehyung could give them all to him. But having Taehyung there to celebrate Yule was just as good without anything else.

"Gukkie-ah, pick what you like," Taehyung pulled Jeongguk into a cozy little shop, its fireplace blazing and candles lit brightly at intervals around the shop. The woman smiled warmly at the duo, and Taehyung released Jeongguk's hand, the twelve-year old prancing off into the shop.

"Hyung, this looks so nice!" Jeongguk oohed and aahed over the smallest things. He pointed to a little snow globe, and the candies arranged neatly inside it, and then made puppy eyes at Taehyung. "Can I have this one?"

Taehyung walked over, squinting at the price tag and wincing when he read the digits out loud. Jeongguk was pouting at him adorably, but if he bought this now then his planned Yulemas gift for Jeongguk would have to be forgotten.

"I'm sorry, Guk, I-" Taehyung tried to smile at the younger, slipping an arm around his shoulders. "I can't afford this."

Jeongguk's face fell. "It's okay, hyung, I understand," he put a forced smile on his face, and Taehyung's heart ached when he realized that the boy must've been used to disappointment. Jeongguk sighed almost inaudibly, and leaned his head against Taehyung's shoulder. "Let's go."

"I promise I'll get you something, Guk," Taehyung reassured as they stepped out into the chilling air once more. "I'll see you tonight?"

"Yeah," Jeongguk grinned again, and Taehyung smiled softly when Jeongguk stood on his tiptoes to give Taehyung a kiss on his cheek. "Don't be late, hyung!"

"Have I ever been?" Taehyung joked as Jeongguk hopped off the steps, skipping off back home. "Bye!"

Jeongguk waved back at him, and then quickened his pace, vanishing into the snowy night.

Taehyung sighed, scratching the back of his head absentmindedly as he strolled back home, staring at the different passers-by wearing their Yulemas clothes and greeting each other merrily. The adults patted his shoulder cheerily, and his friends waved as they rushed by on the roads, doing last-minute shopping. Carts rumbled by, big horses and reindeer huffing warm air and creating clouds as they trotted past, hauling all kinds of things. The village head elf, Mr. Park, was busy directing the instruction on putting up the big fir tree in the middle of town.

"Taehyung!" A voice called to him, and Taehyung turned, seeing his best friend wave at him. Jimin was the head elf's son, and cheerful and easy-going kid, but with a very bad temper once he couldn't stand it anymore. Taehyung grinned back, waving.

Jimin winked at him, and then turned back to his work, yelling at his father on where each star should be. Jimin was in charge of adorning the tree, and that was one thing that would never change.

Taehyung walked into the butcher's, smiling at the young man standing at the counter, chopping away at a venison steak. The stench of blood filled his nostrils, but it was bearable. Minjoon beamed at him, and Taehyung dropped some coins in the little box by the counter, and picked up the bag with a big KTH scrawled on it. Minjoon continued his work, only waving at Taehyung when he left the shop.

This was his village, where everyone knew each other and trusted one another enough to do business easily. Everyone was a familiar face around here, and that was precisely why Taehyung loved his home. Everyone was family, in a way.

The fifteen-year old, walked home, already imagining what kind of delicacies his mother would be preparing for Yulemas.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Chocolate!" Jeongguk squealed when Taehyung handed him the package, grinning widely. Hoseok and Namjoon were beside him, each holding out gifts for Jeongguk. Jeongguk danced around happily at his friends' presents, singing like a lark.

"Merry Yulemas, Guk," Namjoon patted his head. "I have to go now, can't keep Jinnie waiting forever."

"Bye hyung, send Jin hyung my greetings!" Jeongguk called out, his eyes shining. Hoseok grinned as well, ruffling Jeongguk's raven locks. "Growing up so fast, huh?"

"I'm three years younger than Taetae, what did you expect," Jeongguk huffed, crossing his arms. Taehyung laughed, putting an arm around Jeongguk and pulling him close.

"Well, I gotta go, you two enjoy!" Hoseok danced off, waving cheekily. Taehyung sighed, nuzzling Jeongguk. His mother had let him out after their family dinner, telling him to be back by midnight to watch the fireworks together. It was Yule, and Yule was about family.

But they allowed Taehyung to spend the night with his friends, and Taehyung wad grateful. Jeongguk's foster family had children of their own to care of, and they appreciated Taehyung's help taking care of Jeongguk.

Jeongguk was an orphan, but a kind couple took him in, and shortly after, the lady got pregnant, and they loved Jeongguk for it, thinking of it as his blessing. Jeongguk loved them as well, but they weren't his real family, and he wanted to find his real parents.

But none of that mattered tonight. Tonight was about happiness.

Taehyung entwined their fingers, pulling at Jeongguk gently to guide him through the crowd. The small, slender package in his pocket was small, but it felt gratifying, and he hoped Jeongguk would like it. It was small, but it was a gift, nonetheless.

"Guk-ah, come with me?" Jeongguk nodded, following Taehyung as he took them to a quieter place, a small garden with nobody else but them. Frost and snow coated the leaves and stalks of hibernating plants, and it was beautiful.

Jeongguk looked curiously at Taehyung, holding his hand tightly. Taehyung took a deep breath, reaching into his cloak pocket and pulling out the slender box, presenting it to Jeongguk, the shiny wrapping gleaming in the candlelight.

"Open it," Taehyung smiled reassuringly as Jeongguk slowly tore it open, careful not to damage the box, he pulled open the lid, and gasped, Taehyung immediately panicking and thinking he didn't like it.

"Do you like it?" Taehyung breathed, terrified. Jeongguk's eyes were glimmering with tears, and Taehyung moved before he really thought clearly, a thumb brushing away the stray tear that escaped its confinement.

"Hyung..." Jeongguk's voice was trembling, Taehyung waiting, the suspense of it terrifying him. "...I love it."

Taehyung released a pent-up breath, wrapping Jeongguk in his arms. Jeongguk clutched the box, tears streaming from his eyes as Taehyung held him.

The beautiful paintbrush, embossed with his initials on the side, and the best quality the village could boast, in his hands right now. Taehyung must've spent a fortune on this, to help him make his dream come true. Jeongguk wept, and Taehyung murmured soothingly into his hair, hugging him tight.

"Merry Yulemas, Guk," Jeongguk let out a choked laugh, snuggling into Taehyung's warmth. Taehyung held the younger tight, kissing the top of his hair, Jeongguk smiling like an idiot, so beautiful in the dimness.

"Let's go have some fun," Taehyung grinned, taking Jeongguk's hand and dragging him off to where the Yule festival was beginning, the smell of sweet candies spreading across town. "Happy Yule!"

Jeongguk rushed after Taehyung, both boys laughing with childish innocence, enjoying their childhood.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fast forward - two years later

 

"Guk!" Seventeen-year old Taehyung grinned widely as Jeongguk crashed into him, laughing loudly. Taehyung hugged him tightly, breathing in the faint scent of jasmine blossoms and vanilla. Jeongguk panted in his arms, standing on his tiptoes to kiss Taehyung's cheek. Taehyung snorted softly, brushing his lips across Jeongguk's neck.

The snow fell from the sky in gusts, the hills dusted in whit drifts, a beautiful spectacle of wintry skies and snow covered trees. The lake glittered from the noonday sun below, the surface already frozen over. Taehyung Jeongguk’s cheek, reveling in the younger’s ethereal beauty.

"Did you bring anything back?" Jeongguk stared up at him with shining eyes, winding his hands around Taehyung's neck. "Presents?"

"You didn't miss me at all, did you?" Taehyung chuckled, threading his fingers through Jeongguk's soft hair. Jeongguk giggled, nuzzling Taehyung's chest. Taehyung was half a head taller than the younger boy, towering over him with a hint of possessiveness.

"Course I did," Jeongguk mumbled into Taehyung's cloak, inhaling the warm strawberry scent. "I missed you so much, hyung."

"That's nice to hear," Taehyung laughed, reaching a hand into his tunic pocket. "I got you this."

Jeongguk frowned at the small glass vial in Taehyung's hand, filled with a strange silver dust. "What's that?"

"It's wishing dust from the elves in the Southern Valley," Taehyung murmured, pressing the vial into Jeongguk's hand. "There's enough for three wishes."

"Why don't we have magic like them?" Jeongguk sighed wistfully, tucking the vial away. "All we have are enhanced physical abilities and beauty."

"Each tribe of elf is different, Guk, we all have something unique," Taehyung let go of Jeongguk, instead settling for grabbing his hand. "Come on, we have a little time before dinner."

Jeongguk followed meekly behind the older, muttering, "But magic can give them what we have." Taehyung chuckled, breaking into a run as the wind picked up; his silver hair streaming behind him as Jeongguk struggled to catch up, increasing his speed to match Taehyung's.

"They don't have this," Taehyung said, turning around effortlessly and grinning. "They can't run or jump like we can; this is what it means to be a Northern elf."

"Hyung, hold on-" Jeongguk tripped, and toppled into Taehyung, knocking them both over and himself landing on top of Taehyung. Taehyung found himself breathless when he noticed how close their faces were, their noses almost touching, and Jeongguk's face, red as a ripe tomato. His hair was mussed, his breaths uneven, but he was so beautiful it knocked the air out if Taehyung's lungs.

"I'm sorry, Tae-" Jeongguk cut off sharply when Taehyung wrapped an arm around his waist, locking him in place. Jeongguk spluttered in confusion, hands pressed against Taehyung's shoulders and trying to say a full sentence.

"Just- Shh," Taehyung couldn't control himself, pulling Jeongguk's head closer and leaning thee foreheads together. Jeongguk closed his eyes, relaxing a little when Taehyung didn't continue further.

"Guk-ah..." Taehyung trailed off, his voice dropping to a whisper as Jeongguk's eyes fluttered open, his eyelashes long and lush. "Can I kiss you?"

Jeongguk's eyes widened in shock, blinking a few times and failing to react. "Hyung, I..."

"No, it's okay, I understand," Taehyung tried to mask his disappointment and his utter embarrassment. "I'm just-"

"Hyung," Jeongguk pressed close, his breath fanning across Taehyung's face, smelling faintly of chocolate and mint. "Do it."

Taehyung's eyes snapped open, meeting Jeongguk's big brown irises, sparkling with innocence and delight. "You mean it?"

"Yes," Jeongguk breathed, as Taehyung closed the distance between them, pressing his lips to Jeongguk's in a hesitant kiss.

It was magical, to say the least. Taehyung felt sparks shoot across his skin, as he moved his lips in sync with Jeongguk's, their mouths melding together like perfect puzzle pieces. Jeongguk was unbelievably soft against him, inexperienced and sweet. Taehyung had kissed others before, but none of them had made his heart flutter like Jeongguk's did.

"Hyung," Jeongguk whispered when Taehyung finally pulled away, breathless. The wind had blown his hair away from his face, revealing the delicately pointed ears and the marks below it, the mark of a mate. The mark only appeared when said elf was in close proximity with his mate, and Taehyung had just-

"Jeongguk," Taehyung scrambled up, Jeongguk stumbling back, shocked. "I should probably go back."

"Wait, Tae-" Taehyung fled, running as fast as he could, the melodious sound of Jeongguk's voice fading behind him. He couldn't believe it, couldn't believe that-

He was Jeongguk's mate.

Elves spent their whole lives searching for their mate, but Taehyung had never imagined that his mate would be the one person that he loved unconditionally, his best friend, the boy he loved as a younger brother, and maybe more than that. He wouldn't believe it, not until he really had to.

Jeongguk could never discover this, no matter what.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For the first Yule in years, Taehyung avoided Jeongguk.

He could see Jeongguk searching for him in the crowd, but he dodged away, using Jimin and Yoongi as a shield to hide from Jeongguk’s line of sight. He could hear Jeongguk calling, and pushing through the crowd, but he ignored it, even blatantly looking away when he knew Jeongguk had spotted him. The air was chilly, snowflakes drifting from the sky, the village covered with little balls of faelights, sparkling in the night. Everyone was out and milling tonight and it was supposed to be a joyful, but Taehyung felt a throb in him as he watched Jeongguk, upset and weary.

“Tae!” Taehyung ducked under Yoongi’s arm, closing his eyes and shrinking as small as he could. Jeongguk wandered around, brushing past Jimin, but not noticing Taehyung, tucked behind Yoongi. Taehyung felt his heart crack when he saw the faint tear tracks on Jeongguk’s face, the boy obviously having cried not long ago. He wasn’t supposed to do this to a fourteen-year old child, but what choice did he have? It was this or openly claim an underaged kid as his mate. He didn’t have a say in the matter.

The mark would be fading by now; Taehyung absentmindedly touched the skin below his left ear, feeling for any traces of the mark. He had been shocked when he realized that the mark was in the shape of a snowflake, the sacred mark of their tribe, but then he’d brushed it off, thinking of it as coincidence. There was no way this could be intended.

Taehyung watched from afar, as Jeongguk darted through the crowd, skidding to a stop when he reached his foster mother’s side. The kindly woman slipped an arm around Jeongguk’s shoulders, another hand on her swollen belly. This was her second child, the first wandering the festival with his father. Jeongguk leaned into her warmth, his face carefully blank to hide the turmoil within.

“Taehyung-ah, why hide when you can just face him?” Jimin poked his shoulder, curious. “What’s between you two anyway? You just talked to him in the morning.”

“Let’s just say that there are…” Taehyung sighed. “Unfortunate circumstances.”

“You could just forgive him, he’s been looking for you everywhere,” Yoongi piped in, frowning. “I hate to be involved in matters of the heart, but this is serious. I’ve never seen Jeongguk this upset.”

“It’s nothing, he’ll get over it,” Taehyung assured them, not as much telling them as convincing himself. He tried to tell himself that Jeongguk probably didn’t care, that it wouldn’t matter. He wouldn’t let himself hope.

He just couldn’t.

“Tae!” His parents and siblings appeared beside him, his older sister tapping his shoulder. “Happy Yulemas!”

“You’re going back tomorrow?” Taehyung nodded at his mother’s question, confirming the statement. “I’d hoped you could spend another day with us.”

“The master wants us to head out to the Eastern Isles as soon as we can,” Taehyung studied at the Healing Academy in the Southern part of elven territories, under the rule of Southern elves. “There’s a dying Beast there, and we’re to investigate.”

“It’s bad enough that you come back once a year, and now you can’t even spend more time with your family,” Taehyung’s father laughed dryly. “I certainly hope that all this pays off.”

“It will,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter