Broken Promises

Broken Promises (Kang Daniel Fanfiction)

*Play the music then start reading*  

   Davichi - It's Alright, It's Love

"How can you decide on your own? How about me? About us? I thought it will be okay? You said we can get through this as long as we're together? Now tell me why are you leaving? Tell me! Please..."

"I'm ruining your life. If I stay, you'll lose the career you have worked hard for many years."

"It won't happen. And if it happens, so be it!"

"You're being unfair! Can't you see that the people around us are suffering because of us? We're being selfish!"

"How can you call a person selfish when he just wants to be with the person he loves?"

"I can't do this anymore. If you can't decide, then I will."

"Why? Why do we need to sacrifice someone if we can keep both? How can you call staying beside the person you love, being unfair?"

On cue, she burst into tears upon hearing how his voice broke as he said the last two words.

"Don't cry, please..."

"Don't come closer. One more step, I'm going to jump." 

He trembled at her threat. He stepped back instantly.

"Then, what should I do when I'm dying to hold you and wipe those tears away?"

She shook her head and cried harder.

"I just can't let you go. You can't just leave like this. How about me?"

"What are you talking about? You are Kang Daniel! Millions of women are swooning over you! You are everything women will love! You can always find someone to date or marry somed--"

"I don't want anyone! I've never been sure of my life when this heart started beating for you! If it's not you, then forget about it!"

"Please..." She begged in desperation. 

He fell silent as he watched his only love begged to let her go. A request from her that he could never ever do. His chest constricted in so much pain, almost suffocating. She was crying while asking him the impossible. 

He knew what she meant. He knew why she made this decision. He just didn't want to acknowledge it because it was not something he could control. His priority has always been her, keeping her beside him. He didn't know that keeping her meant harm and pain to others. He realized how cruel the world he was living in.

How about being selfish to her? Can I truly be one this time?  He thought. He looked at the only woman who could hurt him like this but at the same time, made him fall harder. 

"After 5 years, I'm going to take you back. I promise." 

Those are the last words he said to her before she flew back to her country the next morning.

Just like that, she was gone.

---

Days, weeks, months and years passed by, she never answered a single message from him. She completely blocked him out of her life. She broke her promise. She cut all the ties, lived in a different country where she started a new life alone. A country that was almost non-existent and where her life is just a mere existence. 

She disappeared and lived a life where no one will recognize her. She lived a hard life where she had no one. She started from the bottom, from nothing until she had something to hold and keep going on. She knew she made the right decision, she must have sacrificed but it was worth it. She couldn't live a life where she would inflict continuous pain and suffering by staying by his side.

He lived his life in prison, a willing prisoner to the promise he did. Not even a single whereabout of the woman he had kept in the darkest and brightest part of his soul. Everything was under control after years of working hard and making risky decisions. 

A few failures and that, but everything went according to his plans. He might be living in luxury but everything seemed too dull and lifeless. He never dated anyone. He never accepted any projects with romance or female lead involved in it. He continued serving his fans with his skills and charms.

Time was painfully slow whenever he thought of her, so slow when he was in pain. And so fast whenever he recalled the good memories.  She might have broken her promise, but he certainly won't. He will find her.

Four and a half years later, he finally started looking for her, not her new number or her new email address. He was looking where she was. He hired a number of teams to find her. Day and night, he would wait. He would wait for the good news.

After six weeks of non-stop search, he received a report from one of the teams. The report he had been waiting for weeks. The joy he felt was overwhelming and almost surreal as he read her exact location. He quickly booked a first-class flight and prepare everything that night.

But life was still cruel to him. Driving on the way to the airport, a fast pick up car crashed the front of his car...right before his eyes.

[Breaking News] Top Star Kang Daniel is in Critical Condition After a Fatal Car Accident Last Night

She woke up one morning, feeling like someone has woken her up. A light touch on her forehead felt too real. She looked around the all-white room she designed according to her personal preference. It was lifeless but peaceful at the same time. It reminded her of the simple life she had. She stared at the paintings she did. They were all placed on the floor, arranged closely together. 

She was a masochist. All of the paintings she has done were all about him. From the cross earring he always had, his fear of bugs, his cute front teeth, his eyes smile, his wide shoulder,  his long finger, warm hands,  his sweet accent, his sincere heart...his presence. She couldn't contain how she has missed him so much. She missed him so much that she started to sob. Hot and fresh tears streamed down her cheeks as she repeatedly apologized for what she did while praying that she made the right decision.

"Meow..." Rooney went beside her as if she knew she was in pain. She lied down beside the precious cat, embraced her, and curled up while crying.

She was working on her new novel when someone buzzed on her door. When she opened it, a very familiar face of a man, who looked more mature than what she could remember,  showed up at her doorstep. 

"Seong woo?" She stepped back in shock. "Why are you here? How did you find me?"

"It could've been him if he didn't..."  His face held no humor as he showed her a piece of newspaper about with headlines that said...

Top Star Kang Daniel in Coma After His Operation

Below the bold text was a picture of a two badly wrecked cars.

She stopped breathing, her knees gave up along with the world crashing down on her.

---

She made sure to cover herself when she entered the hospital. With the help of Seong woo, she was able to enter the hospital without a problem. No press was allowed to enter the premises so she was able to avoid the cameras and crowd. 

She was trembling and dying to see him as soon as possible. A few meters away from his room, she saw his Mom, the person who was going through the most pain. She didn't try to dodge her raging attacked when she saw her. She accepted the blame. She stood there, accepting every blow his mother threw at her.  She couldn't feel the physical pain. She couldn't deny anything, it was her fault. His mother's cries broke her heart into pieces.

"Please, do us a favor and get lost. I'm begging you, don't ever show yourself again. He's my only son..." 

And your son is the only person I have who I could never truly have. She spoke in her mind.

"Please, not my son..." She pleaded once again. She panicked when the person she respected the most kneeled in front of her, begging her to disappear.

Maybe she is right.

"I'm sorry, I should've figured out this from the very beginning. I'm so sorry for causing a lot of trouble and inflicting pain on your family."

My existence is the problem. 

Without even seeing a short glimpse of his state, she once again she turned her back on him and left quietly.

This time, no promises made. She left her heart at the door of his hospital room as she walked away from her unattainable happiness. Wishing in her departure, was his recovery.

"Hi, I'm sorry for suddenly asking a favor. I'll be gone for a few days and I have no one here to ask to look after my cat. Is it okay if you can look after her for a while? I'll pay and I provide all the stuff she will need." She failed to pull off a forced smile. Her neighbor eyed her warily. Nevertheless, he took the cat and nodded in understanding.

"No need to pay. We also raise cats."

"Thank you so much."

"I'm sorry for asking, but may I know where are you going?"

She froze but she tried to cover it with a smile.

"Just somewhere."

---

Wearing a simple white summer dress, she stared at the LCD screen near the airport's receiving area. She suddenly felt a familiar tug at her heart. Her heart skipped a beat when the next commercial showed the face of the man she had been seeing and meeting in her darkest dreams. She lost track of the time that she couldn't exactly remember when was the last time that she actually saw his face. After the news that he miraculously woke up and survived, she had decided to stop all at once. She thought that, maybe, the decision she made was actually a deal with the Grim Reaper.  

He has matured, he lost weight and had grown up successfully. Three consecutive commercials of him were played on the screen. All his character in it was mysterious. She felt like she was floating as she watched him this close. 

    *Play the music once more*   

   Davichi - It's Alright, It's Love

And then, a familiar intro of a song suddenly started playing, parted as she was reminded of the most memorable memories she shared with him.

The exact song they danced to when he surprised her on her birthday. She remembered how she showed up in front of her door, in a black suit, a bouquet of flowers and a million-dollar adorable smile.

A memory flashed of how he guided her gently to the rhythm of the sweet song. 

She was dancing in her yellow pajama as he held her waist, smiling brightly down at her. He squeezed their entwined hands on air as they swayed as one with the song's beautiful melody.

"That's my song for you. You're the first person who came to my mind when I heard it."

"It was a song that has helped me realize that I was already in love with you."

"You're so cheesy, Busan man." She laughed at her own teasing.

"I'm a proud cheesy man, your Busan man." 

She cringed at first before she tiptoed and gave him a swift kiss on the cheek. She smiled slyly. He smiled in return.

"Do you know how the lyrics go?" He asked and paused for a few seconds before singing the chorus of the song as it played.

"You came to me like the wind like the swaying flowers. You knocked on my heart...." He sang as he leaned down to her, his smile and eyes turning serious. He leaned closer and stopped just right before his lips touched hers. They stared at each other as he spoke the next lyrics "...I love you,"  he said breathily before their eyes fluttered closed and he crossed the small gap between their lips. He s his arm around her waist and pulled her closer, crushing her body to him. He claimed her lips in a sweet, magical and almost unreal kiss. They exchanged a loving kiss as they danced. They pulled each other closer as they shared and cherished their first kiss. They poured their feelings into that intense yet slow kiss. When they stopped, they were both gasping for air. He leaned down once more...

"My Love..." She stiffened upon hearing the voice. It was not a voice from one of her dreams. It was at the present time. It was not from any dimension or past times. It was from where she was. Trembling, she turned her head from where the voice came from. There he was, standing a few meters away from him, wearing the same black suit, bright and loving smile.

Neither of them spoke as they looked into each others' longing eyes. Tears built up in her eyes. Her vision blurred. They cherished and listened to the song as she stared at him, sending him the words she had been dying to tell.

Her eyes spoke on her behalf.

Daniel, do you know that you also came to me like the wind like the swaying flowers? You knocked on my heart...I love you, too.

The words that she wished she could tell but would never ever happen.

Going back to reality, through her blurry eyes, she saw how his smile slowly vanished. His eyes traveled to my hand. As if it was not enough, he asked to confirm the brutal truth in front of his eyes.

 "Are you married?"

The time seemed to stop...

She looked at him as she painfully, slowly, nodded her head. Her tears dropped as she confirmed it.

It had been 10 years since we made a promise. I broke mine twice, last time was six years ago when I decided to stop inflicting pain on anyone because of my selfish love.  You didn't break yours, but it was already too late. 

As he stepped back, broken and disappointed. 

"Mommy! I finally found Rooney!"

This time, it was him who felt the world crashing down the second time around as he witnessed the hard reality and failure of his first and only love had formed right in front of him.

"Isn't I told you before not to carry Rooney like that, Daniel?" Another man appeared from her behind as he carried the small kid he called Daniel.

She could still remember how his back looked when he permanently walked away from her life. How he was slightly shaking as the crowd gathered around him. 

I thought walking away 6 years ago was the most aggregating pain I could ever experience. I was so wrong because it was thousand times more painful the other way around.

Goodbye, My Love.

---

15 years later...

"That's how it ended," I said referring to the story of my first love.

"So that means, if it happened during that time, then it was a pure coincidence that I had the same name as him?" Daniel asked, trying to recall the years and gaps.

I smiled and nodded.

"Wow, that's cool." I laughed at his remarks. "No, Mmy, what I also find cool is, there is this girl I like who had the same name as you. She's also the daughter of the Dance Academy founder."

"Really?" I asked in awe. "Pretty?" I asked jokingly.

"She's average compared to you. I'm sure you'll like her. She reads all your books!" 

"I already like her. Bring her here some other time so I can sign her books."

"Great!" Daniel turned silent. "Do you think if my Mom was still here, she would like her? Cause I really like her."

"Why? If she didn't like her, are you going to let her go?" He shook his head in total disagreement.

"Why do I need to sacrifice someone if I can keep both? All I need to do is add a little more effort."

---