The Party

It's In His DNA

Jimin tried to enjoy the rest of their going away party, but the mischievous grin on Jungkook’s face was unsettling. He had promised an unforgettable last night in Busan, but all Jimin wanted was to forget. He wanted to forget that they were leaving for college in the morning, that they were about to be hurtled into adult life, and most of all he wanted to forget his feelings for Jungkook. He just wanted one night of relief…could he at least have that? The boy who had occupied his mind since the day they met left little room for other thoughts. Jimin wanted to evict Jungkook so that his studies could become his new obsession…something that was useful and something he was certain would be a part of his future. 

 

Jungkook was planning something…unbeknownst to Jimin…and although there was unwavering trust between the two boys…Jimin hoped the night wouldn’t further unhinged his mental stability. Being with Jungkook was intoxicating…like a drug that never failed to please. Jimin was an addict, allowing himself to indulge in something so destructive that he new would only lead to pain. With distance came withdrawals and Jimin worried this change would shock his system. Would he be able to wean himself off of Jungkook…only to relapse when they returned home for the holidays. It was a miserable fate, he thought…to be so whole heartedly in love with your best friend. 

 

“Are you enjoying yourself sweetie?” Jimin’s mother had asked when she spotted her son alone, disappearing in the corner of his own party. 

 

“Of course Mom. You’ve always thrown the best parties”, Jimin answered as he slung his arm around his mother’s shoulders and kissed her head. “There’s just a lot on my mind”. 

 

“From the look on your face… I’m guessing you were trying to solve all of the worlds problems”, she joked.

 

“How can I solve the world’s problems when I don’t even know how to solve my own?” Jimin had intended to say these words to himself and was surprised when his mother responded.

 

“Sometimes solving someone else’s problems is much easier”. She offered a gentle smile and a consoling pat to her son’s back. “You can always talk to me…about anything…college and adulthood will never change that. I’m no expert, but I’ll always do my best to understand.”

 

“I know that”, Jimin reassured her. “It’s just college stuff…the anticipation and the mystery…it’s a lot to think about”.

 

“You’ll do great baby. You have always been your own worst enemy…with all your talent and beauty…the only thing you lack is confidence”.

 

“You’re my mother…I adopted my humbleness from you. The image you have of me is clouded with your own bias…you couldn’t possibly see me clearly”.

 

“On the contrary…I think I see you clearer than most”. They were simply words, but they were said with a sense of knowing. Jimin suddenly felt over-exposed as if he was suddenly as bare as the day he came out of his mother’s womb. He wanted to retract and use his arms as an addition cover…to shield himself from the secrets his mother could read all over this body, but as he pulled away, she pulled him in closer. “Keep your victories to yourself, but always believe you are capable of achieving more”. 

 

Jimin tried to enjoy himself after that and made his way to their make-shift dance floor in the back yard. He joined the members of his high school dance team as they reminisced with old songs and choreographed moves. The sun was beginning to set and everyone had moved outside to enjoy it. Soon the party would come to a close. 

 

Jimin had spotted Jungkook a few songs ago socializing with a group of girls from his vocal class, but as a slow song came on over the speakers he was no where to be seen. Jimin didn’t know why he was looking for him anyway, as if they could have danced together. All of their friends and family were present and even if Jungkook didn’t immediately shut him down, he wasn’t willing to confirm the rumors he imagined had been started long ago.

 

It had been a joke among his dance team since their freshman year of high school, as many of the girls had taken notice of the boys’ affinity for one another. While Jimin had denied there being anymore than a friendship between the two…everyone still enjoyed teasing him about his “bunny boyfriend”. Jungkook was also proud of the fact that he had been labeled the MVB (most valuable boyfriend) four years in a row, because he would bring snacks to all of Jimin’s dance practices, coffee to their late night rehearsals, and posters of encouragement to every competition. By the time they were upperclassmen, Jungkook began filming the practices so that all the dancers could critique themselves and fin tune their synchronization. At first his teammates thought that Jungkook was trying to woo one of them, but eventually they realized that it was all for Jimin. But that was just friendship…wasn’t it? Jungkook’s MVB title was just a joke…right? Either way, he took this opportunity to escape into the kitchen for some water and privacy,

 

The music could still be heard clearly from the kitchen and Jimin wondered if the whole court was being subjected to the noise. Most of the neighbors were in attendance anyway, so he assumed there wouldn’t be a problem. In all honesty, he loved this song and had imagined dancing to it many times. He just couldn’t bring himself to maintain his mask of indifference as he danced with one of his female friends, all the while picturing Jungkook’s shoulder underneath his hands. 

 

Jimin looked around the kitchen sheepishly confirming that no one else was nearby before he grabbed the sides of his water glass as if it were a suitable partner and started swaying around the room. Once he had mastered the rhythm, he left himself drift across the floor, eyes closed… relinquishing all control to the music. 

 

“Is she a better dancer than me?” Jimin’s movements were immediately halted by a voice propelling towards him and almost spilling his water all over the floor.

 

“How much did you see?” Jimin asked setting his dance partner back on the counter and leaving his there to avoid anyone noticing the way he was blushing with shame. 

 

“Just a few eight-counts”. Jungkook walked through the doorway and leaned his elbows on the counter top across from Jimin. When he noticed the other’s gaze was still fixated on the glass in front of him, Jungkook reached over to steal the glass and sip it’s contents. He made an exaggerated swallowing sound before stating. “I think I can do better”. 

 

“Better at what?” Jimin asked confused about what Jungkook had said, why he had drank all of his water, and why he was standing so close.

 

“Dancing”, Jungkook laughed as he offered his hand to a stunned Jimin. 

 

“You want to dance with me? Right now? In the kitchen?” Jimin stammered stepping back from Jungkook’s extended hand. Jimin had dreamt about this moment for years, ever since their school started holding dances. He envisioned Jungkook’s muscular body intertwined in his own, finally eliminating the space that always stood between them. But then there was Junior Prom and Senior Ball…neither of them giving him the opportunity he wanted. Yet here the opportunity was…so unexpected…Jimin wasn’t prepared. It’s just dancing, he thought to himself, but he feared that even just one touch from Jungkook would set his body on fire. 

 

“What are you so scared of?” Jungkook inquired feeling a bit exposed for needing to pull back his rejected hand. 

 

There was no way Jimin could possibly answer that question…truthfully or otherwise. Everything about Jungkook scared him and yet he was one of the only people who brought him peace. As he struggled to find words, the song ending, giving him an escaped.  “The song is already over”.

 

“So we’ll go play it in your room”. Why was Jungkook being so persistent? What was so important about this song…about this moment?

 

“All of our guests are still here”. Jimin offered as he motioning for Jungkook to look out the kitchen window at the backyard. 

 

“They wont miss us for five minutes”. Through the window was a scene of their guests engaged in dancing, eating, laughing…everyone was enjoying themselves and maybe Jungkook just wanted Jimin to enjoy himself too. “They aren’t missing us now”.

 

“But they’ll be leaving soon and we have to be here to say goodbye”.

 

“Jimin…there’s always going to be excuses…don’t you think we owe ourselves the chance to try?”

 

At this Jimin nodded in submission and headed upstairs to his room with Jungkook following closely behind.