xoxo

I Mean It (Til The Day I Die)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 


They’ve finished shooting earlier tonight (today?), Kyungsoo feels thankful for that. He sighs, glancing at the built in clock of the van- 2:30 AM- and sleepily waits for his manager to finish up the schedule plotting with the director. They usually wrap up at 3, some nights even extending til the wee hours of the morning, and Kyungsoo’s just plainly glad he can still get a few extra hours of sleep. Just thinking about his next schedule pains his head to no end.

A few of the cameramen, stylists, and staff members pass by, and Kyungsoo wastes no time bowing and wishing them a good night, also thanking them for their hard work. His hair stylist, who goes by the name Hyuk, separates from the crowd and carefully approaches the van with a smile, all the while holding a small package in his hands.

“Hey, Kyungsoo.”

“Hey, Mr. Hyuk.” Kyungsoo smiles. “Great job today. Thanks for always making me look presentable.”

“Ah, it’s nothing.” Hyuk waves a hand. “In fact, I don’t need to put on too much effort. You’re already naturally good-looking, and I’ve already told you that a thousand times.”

The idol actor blushes, still not used to blunt compliments despite having already received them a million times. “And I’ve told you a lot of times to stop with all the gushing, but yeah, thanks again.” His eyes wander to the thing in the stylist’s hold. “Hey, you need anything?”

“Oh, I’m here to tell you in advance.. you’re probably going to lose a lot of that hair next week. It’s time for you to get into full North Korean soldier characterization!”

“Wait, really?” Kyungsoo chuckles, reflexively scratching his head. “I mean, yeah sure, I was expecting it, but I thought they’ll push through next year.” His overall look is the least of his concerns, it’s just that the year-end award shows and EXO’s 4th concert tour are coming up, and there’s going to be a lot of reactions from the members and the fans. Kyungsoo is formulating a lot of questions in mind when the stylist suddenly speaks up.

“By the way Kyung, I have this niece who’s like a super fan, and I’m wondering if it’s okay for you to sign this for her.” Hyuk unwraps the package neatly, revealing a huge photobook of some sort, and it takes Kyungsoo a few seconds to realize that it’s none other than their EXOr’Dium Live Concert Album.

“Oh wow, it’s out already?”

“Yeah. She got it a few days ago, and she was really excited when she found out I’d be working for Swing Kids.”

Kyungsoo stares, marvelling at the sleek packaging. Their creative director never fails. “Do you mind? I’d like to scan through before signing. I remember being pretty excited for this.”

“No problem at all.” Hyuk smiles, then glances back at the set. “Hey, I’m just going to use the restroom for a bit. I’ll be back, okay?”

Kyungsoo nods, pale fingers already skimming carefully through the pages. The group shots are wonderful, most especially the solo ones, and he thinks they’ve rightfully captured the beautiful struggles, the passion and journey in making their recent concert a success. Kyungsoo would never trade the exhausting moments for the world- all the bickering and minor injuries and breakdowns in between, and the fulfilling feeling that came after seeing their beloved fans’ smiles- they’ve made every little thing worthwhile.

He smiles, taking in each of the handsome members’ candid pictures proudly, until he comes across Jongin’s shots somewhere in the middle. His fingers pause.

Jongin looks absolutely breathtaking. He can literally feel all the will and passion burning within the boy’s eyes even in the mere structure of a photograph. Kyungsoo’s chest swells, feeling admiration bubbling in the pits of his stomach.

Yet, nothing can ever prepare him for the next few pages- the ones in which they’ve managed to beautifully capture Kai exposed- his eight pack abs proudly showing for everyone in the world to see.

Kyungsoo feels stupid for blushing. His eyes are lingering a little bit longer than they should. He knows it’s probably wrong to feel this way for the younger, but he couldn’t help it- he’s been harbouring feelings ever since they were trainees, and they only (unfortunately) intensify the more they spend time together. Kyungsoo remembers feeling very confused, very conflicted, constantly asking himself why- why Kim Jongin, of all people?

Profoundly speaking, he’d never known what to make of the little acts subtly happening between the two of them. Jongin has this unwavering, smitten gaze sometimes, that makes Kyungsoo think it’s only ever directed at him. Jongin also tends to be overly caring and protective and jealous- and it drives Kyungsoo to the edge, much to his amusement. Though he can thank himself for being shy and unexpressive, always keeping most of his emotions to himself, or else the whole universe would know how much of a sap he is for the dance prodigy.

Sometimes, Kyungsoo does want to be selfish. He wants to rip the best friend act apart, throw every inch of rationality away and just tell Jongin everything to lift the heavy weight off of his chest- but Kyungsoo knows there’s still too much at risk. He’s going to hurt a lot of people around them, apart from his own self.

So he gently peels his fingers away from the photos, stumbling upon the Interviews, and tries to busy himself by reading every single Q&A and finally scribbling his signature over a candid shot of his.

When Kyungsoo reaches the TO: section, he goes straight to his page and gingerly reads through each member’s message. He feels weirdly touched, smiling and laughing at the words meant for him. He tries to plaster a neutral face while reading Jongin’s, but could ultimately feel the air being knocked out from his lungs as he absorbs the younger’s directive.

 

D.O. hyung, you are busy preparing for the performance and acting that you must be so tired, but I think it is amazing that you still spend time with the members and do your best. I always love you, hyung. You know I love you the most, right? 

 

 

Kyungsoo froze.

 

“Hey, Kyung!” Hyuk returns with an expectant smile and, having already seen the idol’s autograph on the photobook, gently returns the album in the package. “Thank you so much for this, my little niece is definitely going to freak out.”

 

Kyungsoo almost misses the stylist’s departure. He snaps out of his trance momentarily, sending his own goodbye, and notices his manager getting in the front seat before the van starts to move. Finally, they’re going home.

 

The streets are deserted in this part of the city, Kyungsoo thinks as he continues to space out. He decides to lower the car window down a bit, feeli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter