the sillage you left

sillage

 


  •  

Tzuyu’s not sure when it all started to go downhill but she’s sure it started with Minatozaki Sana entering their life like a flash of lightning, a hurricane, an earthquake.

The Japanese senior appeared out of nowhere, an exchange student of some sort or something like that and Tzuyu can’t remember because at that moment she didn’t care. She wasn’t about to give a damn actually but Sana’s entranced, enthralled, captivated. It’s not even five minutes since she’s bumped into them and the older girl was already suffocating Dahyun in an embrace, bright smile and all with a dash of those alluring eyes.

Tzuyu’s not supposed to care but she feels her heart skip a beat and constrict at the same time and her eyes lands on Sana, blood pumping to her ears and she’s not sure whether it’s attraction or jealousy. Maybe both. Honestly, she doesn’t know anything other than she doesn’t like seeing them together.

 

  •  

 

“So water or juice?” Sana asks, hands holding a bottle of water and a small carton of orange juice, Tzuyu’s not sure where she came from and the older girl just attacked her as she passed by the vending machines.

The younger girl tries to hate her, keeps in mind all the flaws she could find from the girl, which was almost impossible to be honest, and reminds herself that Minatozaki Sana was off limits.

Dahyun seems to like her and Sana seems to like Dahyun and she’s just not available and she shouldn’t like Sana even if she’s available anyway because the one flaw Tzuyu’s found was that Sana’s kind of a flirt. A casanova even and speaking of that she should probably warn Dahyun. Dahyun’s too nice and Sana’s snakey nice so Tzuyu’s not comfortable.

“No thanks,” Tzuyu politely declines, bows down a bit before scurrying away.

She’d contemplated telling Dahyun about Sana’s growing reputation in the less than a month stay she had in their school. Tzuyu’s just not sure if it was the right thing because at the back of her mind, a nagging voice echoes and that maybe she’s just using that as an excuse because despite it being logical that she tells Dahyun about Sana, her whole motivation was a whole lot different.

Tzuyu really hates seeing them together.

 

  •  

 

Tzuyu’s not that subtle despite her quiet nature.

Her eyes lingers, a small frown etching on her face and every now and then she’d catch herself glaring at her best friend whenever she’s with Sana and Dahyun’s not stupid either. Tzuyu doesn’t hate Dahyun, and of course not, the girl had been with her through thick and thin but for some reason she feels this irritation on her veins whenever their eyes meet.

But as much as Dahyun is observant she is really too good and too nice.

Tzuyu doesn’t deserve her. Sana definitely does not too.



So she finds herself on the roof, staring up the starry sky as she lays down, Dahyun too quiet beside her for her liking. Tzuyu turns her attention to her friend, her emotions masked with a poker face but she knows Dahyun knows she’s worried.

Dahyun gives her a smile. Or maybe it was more of a grimace.

“So you like Sana unnie?” She drawls out and Tzuyu unintentionally widens her eyes in surprise.

“She likes you though?” Tzuyu replies lamely.

Dahyun sighs, her shoulders tense and she avoids Tzuyu’s eyes, “I like someone else, Chewy. You don’t have to be afraid of liking Sana unnie.”

Tzuyu almost brightens up but then for some reason she wasn’t happy. The unsettling feeling remained and it annoys her that she can’t figure it out.

“You like someone else?” She starts, opting Dahyun to continue but she doesn’t.

Instead she sits up and gives Tzuyu a pained look, “I’m getting in the way aren’t I?”

Tzuyu doesn’t like where this is going.

“You’re not.”

Dahyun shakes her head, still smiling a solemn smile. She stretches for a few seconds before she stands up, dusting herself and her eyes never meets Tzuyu’s again.

“I’m going away,” Dahyun finally says after a moment of silence.

Tzuyu scrambles up, screams for explanation stuck at the back of , too many things she wants to say yet her stupid brain doesn’t catch up with her, all those years of learning Korean and yet her mind chooses to malfunction at possibly one of the most crucial moments of her life.

She stomps her foot in frustration and suddenly she’s slipping, the stars above suddenly visible and she feels herself falling in midair and before her consciousness slips away due to shock, she feels her arm being grabbed, her body pressed against a smaller one before she completely faints.

 

  •  

 

She regains consciousness a few minutes after that.

Or so she hopes.

There was a pool of blood, her vision still spinning and she wonders how she’s still alive. Her whole body aches and she’s pretty sure some ribs are broken. They were about three floors above ground level.

Her eyesight focuses and Tzuyu gasped in horror.

Immediately, she scrambled for her phone, hoping it’s not broken and her hands shook as she hurriedly dialed the emergency number, her eyes never leaving the blood and Dahyun and oh God she just saved her. Dahyun just cushioned her fall and it’s her entire fault and she’s crying and the phone keeps slipping out her bloodied hands and all she could think about was Dahyun dying and bleeding and saving her.

Tzuyu will never forgive herself if Dahyun dies.

 

  •  

 

Before Sana there was Dahyun and Tzuyu.

And before Dahyun and Tzuyu there was Tzuyu and Chaeyoung.

And Chaeyoung was a mess.

A good kind of mess, Tzuyu always thinks because without Chaeyoung, Tzuyu would be walking aimlessly like a lost puppy around campus. She didn’t know what she was thinking accepting that offer to study abroad but Tzuyu somehow got herself shipped off to Korea.

So there she was in a predicament, what with her inability to speak Korean well and the fates must be against her because right at her first day she managed to spill hot chocolate on an unsuspecting student and possibly destroyed her artwork.

Tzuyu half expected a drama worthy scene to occur but instead the girl squinted at her before offering a bright smile. Okay maybe the fates aren’t against her.

“Are you a foreigner? I’ve never met one before! This is amazing!” She cheers, picking up her sketchbook before offering her hand towards the confused teenager, “I’m Son Chaeyoung but you can call me Chaeng!”

Tzuyu had hesitantly accepted her hand and sooner after that they immediately became close, always together, attached at the hip, Chaeng and Chewy, Chewy and Chaeng.

It was months after that when Dahyun arrived.

She learned that she was Chaeng’s best friend and had studied to Thailand for a few months as an exchange student in exchange for a short time of teaching piano lessons at some academy there.

Tzuyu’s not one to befriend people easily but the moment she met Dahyun it’s like everything fell perfectly in place and fate must have brought them together because Tzuyu found out that Dahyun was the ‘too young to be tutoring’ tutor she had for piano when she was twelve. A miraculous coincidence but Tzuyu is not complaining and so then the three of them became a force to be reckoned with.

Chewy, Dubu, Chaeng. It was a harmonious friendship and they balance each other out. And Tzuyu hopes it lasts, pretty sure it will but she soon learned that nothing ever lasts forever.
 

 

Chaeyoung’s suddenly solemn, sitting at the swings silently and Tzuyu’s anxious and Dahyun’s really trying hard to lighten the thick tension in the air.

“What’s up Chaengie? Missing childhood?” Dahyun starts as she swings her swing herself.

Chaeyoung doesn’t waste time and speaks immediately, “I’m going away.”

Dahyun and Tzuyu freezes, eyes wide as they stare at their friend.

“What?” Tzuyu finally reacts.

If there was one thing Tzuyu hates the most it was goodbyes.

“Not for long right?” Dahyun forces a smile, hands grabbing Chaeyoung’s.

Chaeyoung wouldn’t meet their eyes, untangles Dahyun’s hold and maybe it’s just Tzuyu but everything seems to be in slow motion, every step Chaeyoung takes etched on her mind and her thoughts are screaming and that she’s never going to forgive Chaeyoung if she leaves though it was a lie because Tzuyu would be overjoyed if Chaeyoung will go back to them.

“I’m sorry.”

 

  •  

 

Chaeyoung never came back.

Cancer killed her and they never knew until it was too late.

 

  •  

 

Tzuyu’s eyes are closed yet the tears never stop falling.

Tonight she’s all alone, missing the laughter and jeers that usually surrounds her and she remembers how she used to wish they could be silent for a while. Tzuyu regrets that wish.

She covers her eyelids with her arm, another headache growing but it’s nothing compared to what her two friends went through, to what Dahyun’s going through. When will she wake up?! Tzuyu hates their absence.

Her phone rings, Sana’s number flashing on the screen. Tzuyu almost throws it.

 

There are times when you think you are in the right path, that you’re seeing the right person and all those jumbled rollercoaster of a feeling are because of that certain someone.

Sometimes you don’t consider that maybe it could be that one friend, taking them for granted because you’re too used of them being there you don’t notice anything and everything they do just to make you happy.

Tzuyu’s supposed to have learned that lesson a long time ago.

She should’ve known better and perhaps if she’d stopped and considered Dahyun’s feelings, perhaps if she’d sorted out her own emotions very well, Tzuyu would notice that all this time Dahyun loved her.

And Tzuyu loved her back.

She just thought she loved someone else.

 

  •  

 

[a/n] : i dunno how this turned out like this, i was probably drunk on coffee this was supposed to be either saida or satzu my hands are rebels hahahha so i finally wrote something for twice. this ship is rare tho. tell me what you think?