Chapter. 1

Winter's Curse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I walked inside the small house I called home from working at my second job, it was late.  My father already on the floor drink in hand. I could smell him from the doorway. I stared at him for a long minute debating what I should do. But quickly made my way to my bedroom remembering the last ti8me I tried to wake him from his drunken slumber. That night I got a lovely black eye that made it difficult to cover up. 

I dropped my belongings on the floor next to the door quietly,  pulled out my small flashlight, I glanced at the occupied bed across from mine. He was fast asleep. I smiled softly pulling the blankets over him. 

The small digital clock read midnight.  I still had a little bit of homework to do before I could go to sleep myself. Sitting on the floor, my legs crossed,  I began my tedious homework. 

                                   . . . . . . . 

I jolted awake feeling a hand shake me. "its time to wake up. You fell asleep doing homework again.  You need to stop working so hard." I glanced up at Jinyoung and blinked myself awake. 

"How are you feeling this morning? " I asked him as I slowly stood up feeling every bone in my body pop and crack.

"I'm alright,  not as good as yesterday but I'll be fine." He answered taking a bite of his toast, wiping the crumbs off his face. He didn't look  too pale, then again that all could change in just a few hours. "I know that look. And no, I won't push myself, I promise." He gave me a cheeky smile. "Better get ready or you'll be late again." He pointes towards the clock. 

I groaned and hurriedly ran to the bathroom to shower and get dressed, Jinyoung holding a thermos full of hot coffee outside the bathroom. Watching me rush in amusement.  "Thanks, I'll be home after school for just a bit. If you need anything, you've got my emergency numbers. I'll  see you later." I rushed out the door and practically ran to the subway.  My heart throbbing like it was going to burst out of my chest. I took several deep breaths before starting to drink the still hot coffee and relax for just a few minutes before the next stop. 

I look at everyone around me an I wonder if their life is just as hectic an soul draining as mine was. I've had odd jobs off an on since I was 10 after my mother passed, my father drank our money away. Jinyoung started getting sick  around the same time as well. So I had to step up an pay everything, it would be easier if my father had taken off. If he had.  I wouldn't have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter