Hunt Me Not

Hunt Me Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin stood in front of the looming and intimidating Hunters Headquarters, known by many as the H2. Sweaty palms and neck accompanied his restless nerves and hastened heartbeats as he braved the last steps that brought him into the warded threshold of the building. The slight shimmer in the air, that not everyone could see, was another reason for Jongin to believe that he was made for this. He was destined to be there, standing right in front of H2, to fulfill his purpose in life.

Kim Jongin will make a name for himself in the world of Vampire Hunting.

The sliding doors opened as he stepped within the sensor range, giving him his first personal glimpse of the H2 lobby. The furniture pieces are alternately black and white, just like the long reception desk that occupied the center of the room. The counter was an expanse of shiny black granite and the base a pristine white marble, it looked like.

The ceiling was almost three floors high, decorated with simple yet elegant looking chandeliers, casting out little rainbows off the tinted bulletproof glass walls. There weren't much people inside, most of them are sporting black gear with gun and stake holsters in different locations, some have them by the sides and some have by their legs.

Jongin thinks that he prefers to have both. There is no harm with being prepared all the time.

He shook his shoulders and cleared his throat to shake the anxiety residue as he proceeded to one of the four receptionists, who all turned to him as he entered the facility. It was unnerving as they all sport a nonchalant rehearsed expression that is as intimidating as H2 is outside. Jongin tried to school his expression into an aloof one to leave a lasting impression on everyone that might see him.

As a Hunter, he should be able to live up to their general reputation of being ruthless and efficient exterminator of the world's largest abomination, since a stupid doctor meddled with a long lost Dracula's DNA.

Vampires.

"Please state your agenda, sir," asked the receptionist whose name tag says she is Seulgi. Jongin fumbled inside his messenger bag and pulled out his registration form and letter of acceptance for Seulgi to see. He groaned inwardly. If he has just took time to clean his bag...

The receptionist kept her professional mask as she took the papers laid in front of her and scanned the document for the encrypted code as mark of authenticity. H2 has learned to utilize technology too as Vampires have also adjusted with the modern way of living. The security was overbearing, humans have learned to utilize the use of both technology and some magic for the purpose of eradicating the Vampires.

Jongin has been feeling a bit pressured to perform really well in his training. He doesn't want to disappoint anyone, especially as he is aiming to be at the mankind's forefront in this battle. The humankind has been fighting this battle with all that they have got, most especially the long line of Jongin’s ancestors. It is only fair for him, if not expected, to do the same as well.

"You're cleared, Mr. Kim Jongin. Welcome to the Hunters Headquarters," Seulgi interrupted Jongin's inner pep talk, earning a gasp from the latter. The other three of Seulgi's companions turned towards him and Jongin has mentally added that small episode into Things-that-will-destroy-his-H2-image. It hasn't even been a day and he has two listed already.

"You may take a seat and one of our colleagues will lead you to your mentor shortly," she gestured towards the rows of chairs by his left. Jongin gave her a small yet polite 'thank you' before he proceeded to take one of the seats. It was only him on his row and a couple of Hunters are scattered in groups in others.

He resisted the urge to let his eyes wander the large lobby again, lest he looks too fascinated than necessary so he took out his phone. He smiles at the couple of messages that he had gotten. One from his mom, one from his sister and two from his bestfriend, Sehun. He has kept on saying that Jongin was not cut to be a Hunter so Jongin felt like he should prove the idiot wrong.

Jongin can be a Hunter. He will be. It runs in his blood what with his father and grandfather and his grandfather’s father being Hunters in the past. Jongin is there to complete the tradition and he will not fa--

"Mr. Kim?"

Startled, Jongin almost fell on his when his knee-jerk reaction jolted him out of his seat. The person who spoke chuckled lowly and Jongin knew that he was doomed. He will be doomed in H2 because he is a clumsy and a jumpy fool. He fixed his bag and turned to his caller and was greeted with make-up lined eyes squinting at him in amusement.

He looked familiar but Jongin couldn't point his fingers where he could have seen the other guy. Jongin also noted that he is on the shorter side, body petite as well, and he is then smiling mischievously. That certainly did not help with the frantic heartbeats that Jongin is nursing.

"So you are Mr. Kim, right?"

"Yes, I am," he croaked in reply.

"Come with me. I'll deliver you to your mentor, if you don't already know who he is," he starts to walk, prompting the now-newbie hunter to follow but he pauses and turns around with a wink. "Please try not to freak out, okay?"

The teasing tone that he used got Jongin wondering if he should already know who his mentor is. Should he? Did he miss something?

Not really understanding what he meant, Jongin simply nodded and swung his bag to settle in front of his thighs. His guide continued walking and so Jongin followed like a lost puppy, keeping in mind the words from the other. He doesn't want to be unnecessarily surprised again.

After entering into one of the doors by the back of the reception area, there are endless turns and doors that Jongin didn't bother to see where they are going after the sixth right that they have made. Until finally, they arrived into rooms with a glass panel on the door and at least, Jongin knew that they have arrived in the training block of H2. He has seen the familiar structures from the very limited pictures that are available in their website.

The walk was quiet, save for the giggling from his guide as he tapped away on his phone so Jongin didn't bother to disturb him. When his guide stopped in front of one nondescript door, Jongin followed. The door opened after his guide placed his palm on the hand scanner panel.

This is it, he thought as he took the last steps in order to meet his mentor. Jongin wasn't able to familiarize himself with his training room first as his eyes zeroed in on the man in the middle of the mat, trying to do a handstand with one hand.

"Hey, Kyungsoo, your baby Hunter is here," his guide sing-songed and Jongin now knew why his guide was so familiar but at the same time, he rejected the idea of his supposed mentor. It would’ve been too good to be true and he wouldn’t be that lucky.

"Stop calling them baby, Baekhyun," Kyungsoo called out his friend-slash-self-proclaimed stylist who stuck his tongue out at him childishly. Jongin knew that voice too but it can't be! He gripped his bag strap for lifeline as the guy who is supposedly Kyungsoo straightened up and faced him and his guide Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo walked towards them, covered in perspiration that he dried off with a towel he picked up and Jongin was hoping that he would not fart. Pressure and nervousness do that to him. His mentor stretched his hand for a handshake and gave him a little quirk of his plump lips.

This can't be happening!

"Holy . You are Do Kyungsoo," Jongin babbled, losing control because of that small smile.

Kyungsoo looked confused and he took his hand back. Jongin lamented the loss of chance to hold those hands. "Yes, I am. I will be your mentor here in H2," he tilted his head in worry as Jongin was regarded a little more closely, triggering his self-consciousness. "Is there any problem?"

"No! No, no! It's not like that! I'm just..."

Baekhyun's amused snickers turned to guffaws that has stopped Jongin from spewing nonsense, like Kyungsoo is his role model and idol in all the Hunter community and how Jongin thinks that he has the most perfect in the whole universe.

"I just told you to not freak out kid," Baekhyun managed in between his wheezing. "I knew you'd totally react this way."

Kyungsoo has intervened after his friend's speech and pushed him out of his training room and looked back to his student. "I think it is better for you to rest up first. I'll call you later for dinner, is that okay?"

The next minutes were a blur for Jongin and he was sure he acted robotically as he was shown his living quarters. He knew that it was big enough and has two rooms, Kyungsoo had ushered him into one, and that there is only a common toilet and shower that they will use.

Jongin was laying on his back, unpacked still, even after twenty minutes of solitude. He rolled on his stomach and whined into his new pillow. Being a Hunter doesn't look as appealing as it has been before he has met his mentor.

Who is he kidding? Jongin loves his mentor but in a very unhelpful way for his chosen career.

"Life ."

 

 

_*_*_*

 

 

Jongin has barely slept. And this has not escaped the notice of his mentor. He felt the Hunter's eyes on him since the dinner last night but he can't make himself face Kyungsoo, The Do Kyungsoo. Not yet, anyway because he has no choice. Once his training starts, there will be no going back.

He was pretty at breakfast, albeit a lot more sleepy than last night. He followed Kyungsoo diligently to the line where they are served prescribed healthy food by H2. They need their Hunters in top shape. He reached for the silver tray that has his own serving of bread and fruits as they went to the table where you can choose what to put on your bread.

Well, it seems like they aren't too strict with the so-called Hunter diet as he spied jam and Nutella amongst what's laid for them. He purposely avoided the coffee maker and sighed in relief as he spotted hot chocolate packs. He could get used to this everyday, he smiled to himself.

After making sure that his hot water will stay stable on his tray, he scanned the cafeteria for Kyungsoo, who he hadn't noticed when he was busy with choosing over strawberry or raspberry jam. The Hunter wasn't hard to look for, not when Jongin seemed to have memorized how he looks in every angle. His article collection about one of the youngest yet accomplished Hunters could speak for himself.

He slid on the seat right across the Kyungsoo who was taking a sip from his cup of coffee. Jongin tried to keep his grimace but noted that Kyungsoo takes his coffee with cream. The Hunter looked up when his tray made a rattling noise and Jongin couldn't help but feel sheepish.

"I'm sorry."

Kyungsoo only nodded in acknowledgement and it didn't help to ease the tension between them. The newbie Hunter knew that it was his fault but he doesn't know how to deal with it just yet. He has his own personal goal but having Kyungsoo as his mentor gave him even more pressure. He wants to impress the other, just like what anyone would do to get their crushes to notice them. It is stupid and Jongin prays that he will come around sooner.

"Jongin, if you prefer to have another mentor, I will understand. I am a rookie myself and if my inexperience bothers you..."

Jongin finally looked Kyungsoo in the eyes, his own pair widening in alarm. The Hunter has his famous stoic face on as he looked back on the newbie with steely and defensive eyes.

"... I can help you arrange it with the management. I don't even know why they gave me such assignment..."

"Wait!" was all Jongin could muster but with enough volume to take the attention of the whole cafeteria. He is just so done with himself. With a groan, he hid his face behind his palms but continued, "Like I said yesterday, it's okay. You're okay, more than okay actually. It... it's just me and I'm awkward and..."

A light chuckle brought Jongin out of his blabbering and when he peeks in between his fingers, Do Kyungsoo has his very much rare heart-shaped smile on his lips. Jongin is not removing his hands from his face any moment soon as an embarrassing blush crept up to his cheeks.

"Sorry," Kyungsoo apologized when his chuckles died down. "Don't worry, I'm not really good with people too but I will need to train you so we could compromise, at least? I'll never bother you outside of training and if you clean after yourself in our shared quarters. Is that workable?"

"Yes. I'm okay with that," Jongin answered as he pushed his hands down and tried to make eye contact with his mentor. He shouldn't come out as rude just because he is crushing on him. That will not look good, especially if he is trying to get onto Do Kyungsoo's good side. "Thank you."

Kyungsoo smiles again and Jongin tries hard to not swoon. "Your training syllabus will probably be sent to you anytime. Review it and we can discuss any questions you may have. I'll just be in my room."

The newbie nodded eagerly and slapped his face as Kyungsoo's back disappeared from the cafeteria doors. He will set his new goals and will work closer to it every day he would spend in H2.

"Pull yourself together, Kim Jongin. Stake away those filthy vamps and sweep Do Kyungsoo off his feet."

 

 

_*_*_*

 

 

It was easier said than done. For the first two weeks of his training, all Jongin has been in were beginner classroom lessons about Vampires and hunting them. He should've obeyed Kyungsoo and paid attention to his syllabus. He has gotten bored after the third day because he has already known this things since he was a kid.

The history of vampires, how they were revived, the mass infection, the start of the Hunt, blah blah blah. Jongin came here for the battle skills and staking techniques but when he has viewed his syllabus properly, he won't be getting any practical lessons until after two and a half months.

What was even more annoying was that he has barely seen Kyungsoo over the span of two weeks. He hasn't taken into consideration the fact that Do Kyungsoo is an active member of the Hunt and was going to be assigned somewhere to kick vampires’ asses to ashes. He has seen the Hunt's accomplishments through the monitor in the cafeteria and a weird sense of pride swelled in his chest whenever he saw the Hunt statistics where Kyungsoo belongs. He is always within the top three with most kills, further proof of his unparalleled skill even just in the a little over a year of his Hunter career.

One morning, a video excerpt was shown and it was of Kyungsoo tracking down one uncontrollable fledgling and gracefully (in Jongin's eyes) plunging a wooden stake right where it's heart is. Not a moment later, the newborn vampire is up in the flames with only its ashes remaining. As much as technology helps them with tracking, only old-school enchanted wooden stakes can do the trick of burning vampires into ashes of what they used to be.

But Jongin isn't really paying attention to the burning on the screen. Rather, his focus are full on the Kyungsoo that looked so firm yet plump wrapped with those tight pants when he bent over the helpless fledgling to end its misery.

Maybe he still needs that two more months before he isn't fantasizing over Kyungsoo's everytime he sees it.

 

 

_*_*_*

 

 

Jongin came back from a rigorous exam. He wasn’t expecting for the questions to be answered in essay form. He had to unearth all his stored knowledge on the history of vampires just to get something on his paper.

He thought he did fairly well but he’s exhausted. He couldn’t feel his right hand properly. He remembered there was a medicine box in his quarters and there might be something in there to help him with his hand.

The door swooshed open as he placed his hand on the scanner and two steps in, Jongin noticed a lump on the sofa. He saw the Hunter gear right away and deduced that it was Kyungsoo who probably just came back from another Hunt.

His feet pushed him towards his mentor and a gasped escaped his lips from what he has seen. Evidences of camping out for days were visible on him and a long scratch marred Kyungsoo’s cheek.

A rush of panic had him sprinting to their bathroom and rummaging for their medicine box. He opened the latch and sighed in relief when he saw some antiseptic and ointment for wounds. He ran back to the Hunter and set the box down beside him.

Upon closer look, the gash wasn’t deep and it was already scabbing. But worry had Jongin taking a swab dipped in antiseptic to clean the wound and the area around it. He then took another swab to apply the ointment on the scratch.

He didn’t see Kyungsoo had been awoken from his sleep and was silently watching him until he had put everything away.

“I’m sorry!” he slinked back. “I just saw a wound on your cheek and I panicked that it might get infected so I cleaned it up and treated it. I swear..!”

“Jongin, it’s okay,” Kyungsoo reassured him with a smile. “Thank you.”

His breath was knocked away by the smile he was rewarded with and Jongin could only respond with what he hopes turned out to be a smile and a bow before he’s scampering back to the bathroom, forgetting about his own hands.

 

 

_*_*_*

 

 

Reality came crashing down on Jongin as he was given his Certificate of Completion for Vampire Hunt: Knowledge and Theory. It has been two and a half months since he came to H2 and he is two and a half months closer to his goal. The certificate meant that he has passed the course and is ready for the next phase of his Hunter training.

The Practicals.

Baekhyun sneakily slinked right beside him and whisper-shouted “Boo!”. Kyungsoo’s best friend was bent over from too much laughter as he succeeded to make Kyungsoo’s mentee almost jump out of his skin, again. Jongin would like to hate the guy but there is no point. How is he supposed to catch vampires by surprise if his reflexes are dull as they are?

“There, there,” Baekhyun patted his back in between his cackling. “You should get over that, newbie. Vampires could easily use that against you.”

Jongin’s weakness getting highlighted wasn’t fun but he it up because Baekhyun meant no harm. More than two months in H2 and he still hasn’t changed, on the physical aspect at least.

Baekhyun has let him wander on his own when they have reached the training block, saying that he is quite busy. Jongin sighed. If Baekhyun is busy, that means that he is probably preparing for Kyungsoo’s new set of outfits for his next Hunts. A longing feeling was awakened in him. He terribly misses his barely-there mentor. Indeed, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Lazily, he placed his hand on the scanner by the door. Jongin stepped right into the threshold as soon as there was enough space to allow him and headed right towards him room. The next phase of his training won’t start in a few days so there is a high possibility that he will only see Kyungsoo through the screens, like always.

“Hi, Jongin.”

The newbie Hunter let out a string of profanities followed by a dull thud when he bumped himself onto the nearest wall. He has heard the other person cluck his tongue at him. Maybe Sehun is right. I’m just not cut out for this kind of thing. I can just sign up in the Intel department where no one is likely going to take me by surprise…

“I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo was suddenly right in front of him with a small teasing smile on his face. The Hunter looks even more gorgeous up close that it is ridiculous. This man has been facing vampires on a daily basis yet he remains as youthful as ever as the scratch on his cheek healed without any marks. His lashes lightly touches the apple of his cheeks when he blinks. His eyes reflects millions of colors under their shared room’s lighting. His lips are looking so soft and plump, they should feel like clouds against Jongin’s.

“...in? Jongin, did you hit your head? Should I bring you to the infirmary?”

“No! I’m… I’m okay. I guess,” Jongin mumbled, embarrassed for the direction his thoughts went to. He was thinking of kissing Kyungsoo, who was just right in front of him, within arm’s reach. It is highly inappropriate but hell, it was just so tempting. He gulped down his stupid desires and took a proper look at his mentor.

Kyungsoo was in his home clothes, meaning his all-black ensemble of sweatpants and t-shirt.

He looks so boyfriend…

“So how was the ceremony? Did you get your certificate?” Kyungsoo asked, snapping Jongin back to his senses. Oh right, Do Kyungsoo is still his mentor and of course, he would care for such matters and not for Jongin’s inner fantasies. With an unconscious pout, he took his certificate from his bag and tried to smooth the little wrinkles it had.

The Hunter looked interested on the piece of paper that Jongin has given him and a big smile lit up his face. It had Jongin choking from nothing.

“Congratulations, Jongin! You are ready for me then!” Kyungsoo’s enthusiasm infected J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter