Warm Boring Nights

Warm Boring Nights

AN: Warning! This is not a gd-dara fic. Check the tag. Keke You’ve been warned!


Warm Boring Nights

“Don’t leave like the rain

I’m drenched like this again today

I seek for you amongst the wet traces

Will I be able to erase it?

If I could do it just one more time

Just one more chance, so I can see”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHN6zPG2sOY

 

Dara stares at her phone as the unfinished song ends. Without noticing it, tears had fallen down her cheeks. She was lying down her bed, alone in her room when she had decided to listen to the clip she had received from him. Her long-time friend, Lee Donghae. It was a snippet of the unfinished song he was writing. A song he’d wanted to dedicate for their comeback after a long time. That she had the privilege to hear it even if it was still unfinished, shows how deep their friendship was.

 

They've known each other for a long time, since their school days. He was one of those few people she’d remember to call when something good or bad happen. Because he was one of those who’d answer right away on the third ring. To her, he was one of the people whose presence makes her feel warm and at home.

 

She stared her phone that had turned to black screen as she took in the song. Lifting a hand to wipe her tears, she sniffed, “It’s.. so beautiful.” It was so heartfelt. She was so proud of him. She lit her phone back to message him right away but paused. “This won’t do.”

 

She dialed his number instead and called him. Two rings and someone picks up, making Dara smile. He always answers fast. “Mm.”

 

Dara giggled at his nonchalant greeting. “Hey, what kind of answer is that to a 13-year friend?”

 

She heard him scoff at the other end. “What’s up?”

 

“Mm. Where are you?”

 

“Me? I’m outside.”

 

“Oh, really?” Dara felt sad, wondering if he’s out with his other friends.

 

So when he added, “I’m alone, I’m finishing the song,” she felt her spirits lift again.

 

“Oh, really!” She said in excitement, this time. “Kekekeke…”

 

--

 

Dara arrived at the café he said he was lounging at. Almost immediately, she spots his platinum hair peeking out his navy cap. He was wearing a khaki long sleeves, she noticed, and was focused on the paper in front of him. Her eyes trailed on his back as she smiled. It was a shoulder she depended on for years. A shoulder she literally cried on since they were high school.

 

She immediately goes to surprise him but he just smiled warmly when he saw her. Dara smile turned to a pout. “What’s this? You weren’t surprised.”

 

"You asked me where I was and hung up immediately with a silly laugh." A side of his lips lifted attractively. Dara was stuck staring at him for a moment. He had aged finely, she noted. It was refreshing to see him again. His handsome face, his sweet smile. She just felt comfortable seeing him.

 

She urged him to not mind her and continue writing as she went to order drinks. He did well to follow on that as he was so focused in writing he didn’t notice her getting back and sitting down in front of him.

 

She silently put on her earphones and played the song he shared again. She bobbed her head to the song, mouthing the lyrics, “Don’t leave like the rain. I’m drenched like this again today. I seek for you amongst the wet traces…” She smiled they were some beautiful words he made. He'd grown so much.

 

She peeked at him, everything around him was bright and white, drenched in sunlight. He was getting immersed in his writing. She just watched him and she felt calm. It was such a good atmosphere that she had to close her eyes for a moment.

 

“What’s the matter?” He finally spoke again, tapping the end of his pencil and not looking up from the paper.

 

“Hm?” Dara paused from sipping on her drink. She placed it down immediately. “Nothing really.”

 

“Are we doing something?”

 

“Nothing. Do you want to do something?”

 

“I just wanna do this.” He answered simply.

 

Dara almost laughed at him. He was straightforward and weird, sometimes. Most of the times. “Alright.”

 

Comfortable silence ensued again. Dara placed back one of her earphones and she played Bolbbalgan4's playlist. Her fingers tapping lightly on the table. It was nice to relax like this, she thought.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“For what?”

 

“You must be bored.” Donghae cleared his throat lightly. “I like my days boring these days. It calms me.” He explained quite adorably. It made Dara smile. It was exactly what she was feeling right now.

 

Dara realized that she liked it ­- the serenity staying with him had brought in just now. The silence, the calm. It was new and she was starting to get fond of it. Of him, like this. Innocent and pure.

 

--

 

Dara was woken up by a few gentle squeeze on the top of her head. “Hmm?”

 

Donghae was sitting beside her now. He covered his face, hiding his shy chuckle. “Let’s go.”

 

“Where?” she peeked at him through one eye, calming her sudden thumping heart. She must have dreamt of him, she quickly shook the thoughts away.

 

“For a drink.”

 

Dara suddenly sits up in excitement, her sleepiness all gone. “Really?” Then came back to her senses. “Wait, since when do you drink alcohol?”

 

His eyes were warm as they regarded her.  “I don’t. I didn’t say we were drinking alcohol. Were you waiting for that?”

 

Dara shook her head excessively, denying. “Aniya..”

 

Donghae laughed at that. “Arasso. I’ll buy you a can of beer too.”

 

Dara wasn’t sure if it was his offer or his laughter that warmed her heart. It may have been both.

 

--

 

So there they were sitting by the hillside looking into the river.

 

“Do you spend you boring day’s nights like this?” Dara lifted her can of beer to toast his ice cream.

 

“Only today’s boring night.” He said tapped his ice cream on her can of beer.

 

Dara giggled. He must have known she was down. As expected of Donghae. He’d always know.

 

They sit and enjoy the view in silence.

 

“Tell me about it.” Donghae finally breaks the stillness of the night.

 

Dara drinks a few gulps before putting her can down and sighing, “Nothing really. Sometimes… I just feel suffocated with everything. Just so tired of all the drama. One moment I’m so happy and on another, I feel so much heartbreak. The happiness I finally have just gets taken away like that. Am I foolish?” She said in a breath, blinking her eyes upwards.

 

“I can’t seem to let go. I… I don’t know until when is enough. Until when should I accept things, ya know? I.. just all these emotions are tiring sometimes.” Dara felt her eyes water as she turned towards him. She tried to smile but failed.

 

Donghae chewed on his bottom lip and looked away as he reached out a hand to pat her head. “Of course, you’re not foolish. It’s not wrong to try and save it.”

 

Dara closed her eyes and tears fell. She started sniffing. Her emotions in a mix. Her exhaustion taking its toll. His patting hand, his assurance just felt nice too.

 

“After all, you must give your all so you won’t have regrets. I’m sure you’ll know when it’s enough.” He squeezed the top of her head affectionately.

 

“You’ll realize it. What’s good for you.”

 

He smiled at her and Dara laughed in despair as she wiped her tears, laughing at her foolish self. “Why do you talk like an old man?”

 

His eyes wrinkled as he chuckled.

 

Dara felt warm again. Just like that. She felt that moment suddenly sinking into her. Slowly, surely.

 

“Sometimes. I also just want to live boring days.”

 

Donghae started to laugh. Dara started to love the sound of it even more.

 

--

 

Donghae stretched his arms and lies back down on the grass, tugging Dara along.

 

“Yah!” Dara landed on her back with a soft thud. “What are you doing?”

 

“This is one way to spend a boring night. Just look up.” He placed his hands on the back of his head.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Relax and look at the stars.”

 

There was silence as Dara looked in awe at the view of the sky full of stars. “They’re pretty. It’s nice.”

 

“Nice, huh?”

 

“Uh-hm.” She smiled to herself.

 

She was happy to be lying there beside him.

 

Calm and comfortable. Home. That was what Donghae was to her.

 

A warm boring night she wished to keep. She closed her eyes for a moment, moving her head a little closer to his shoulder.

 

 

--

 

“Thank you..”

 

“For this boring night.” She opened her eyes and peeks at him sideways, grinning.

 

Donghae smiles handsomely and lifts himself up a little, looking at her. Reaching his hand to her face, he brought his own closer and kissed her forehead softly. A moment too long, “Anytime.” His breath blew on the top of her head.

 

Dara felt warm and calm.

 

-

 

"I like your song, by the way."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Uh-uh. Did you finish it already?"

 

"I did. Just now. In my head."

 

Blush.

 

Blush.

 

"Pabo-ya."

 

It was a warm night but it wasn't that boring.

 

 


AN: Cuz I just think they have a sweet friendship going on, right? 10 years or 13 years now. Also, I'm starting to love Donghae in Suju comeback so. Yeah I just want to know more about them really. Pls. comment if you've enjoyed this and also watch this fancam. I tell you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXKD7e-cuIA enjoy!!