01. Fresh Start

Second Chances

A week into my first year of college, I met a really great guy, Moonbin. It's a bit embarrassing to say myself, but I've always been on the popular side when it comes to guys and dating. However, Moonbin was the first guy who really stood out out of all the guys that have asked me out so far. Although the two of us aren't explicitly dating yet, it's pretty much set in stone that we're planning on making it official soon.

Apparently, Moonbin and Eunwoo knew each other from hagwon before and the two of them are decent friends. Even Eunwoo says Moonbin is a good guy, meaning I can trust him. It's also nice to that my (almost) boyfriend and my best friend are close.

We are now to months into the school year and most of time is spend either at Seven Eleven where I work, or with Eunwoo and/or Moonbin.I hear a knock on my door and glance at the time on my phone which reads 12:18 p.m., meaning its lunchtime.

"It's unlocked!" I call out.

Moonbin and Eunwoo enter my room with takeout in their hands. The fresh smell of food fills the small room and I quickly get up to take the bags from them.

"This one is for you. Omurice, your favorite!" Moonbin says with a smile, handing me the bag.

"Thanks, Bin!" I take the bag and set it on the table before taking a seat on the floor.

With a small room like mine, I don't have space for an actual full sized table so I use a smaller one that requires me to sit on the floor to use. Moonbin takes a seat to my left and Eunwoo on my right. 

"I paid for lunch today because I was in a good mood," Eunwoo announces proudly.

"Aigoo, what a good kid. Thanks, Dongmin!" I reply, ruffling his obviously unbrushed hair.

Eunwoo shoots a playful glare at me, "I told you to call me Eunwoo! No one calls me Dongmin anymore."

"But I do!" 

"Why do I even bother-" Eunwoo suddenly frowns, "Ya- Didn't I tell you to stop leaving your door unlocked? Don't you know how dangerous that is? What if it's not us next time and it's some like predator or something?"

I roll my eyes at his daily nagging before giving a smile to Moonbin, "Then I have Binnie to protect me!"

Moonbin returns a cheesy grin before nodding. Eunwoo pretends to gag and sighs. "I need to find new friends."

"What Eunwoo says is right though. Not the having the find new friends part- but the thing about keeping your door unlocked. Although I'd love to be here every second of every day to protect you, I can't do that. You need to start locking your door," Moonbin adds.

When Eunwoo tells me to, I tend to ignore him, but Moonbin makes it especially hard to say no. "Fine, I'll start locking my door. It's just annoying having to get up to get the door all the time."

"Stop being so lazy. What am I going to do with you?" Eunwoo asks with another heavy sigh.

"It's whatever. Stop lecturing me and let's just eat!"

I open the box and grab the plastic fork inside the bag to start eating. Although I'm pretending to be annoyed, it actually feels nice to have the two of them care about me so much. 

--

As we're eating, Eunwoo suddenly looks up at me. "Jaeeun, don't you have class in ten minutes?" 

I check my phone again and it's already 1:20 p.m. and my next class starts at 1:30. Panicking, I pack shove my textbook into my bag and run to the door. My class is on the otherside of the campus and I'm already on the bad side of my professor for always being late. "Ok, I'm going to go now. It would be really really nice of you guys to lock my room when you leave thanks so much ok bye!"

Without waiting for their reply, I run out the door and down out the dorms. I barely make it on time and plop down into my seat, huffing.

"Noh Jaeeun, why are you sweating so much? Did you lose track of time eating again?" My friend, Chaeyeon, asks.

"Am I really that predictable?"

"A little bit, yeah."

Class starts and Professor Lee enters the room. As he turns on the projector, I suddenly remember I forgot my notebook which includes the homework I had done that was due today. In these moments, I regret always doing homework on paper simply because I want to be old school. Cursing under my breath, I pull out my phone to open our Kakao group chat.

you: hey guys i forgot my class notebook and i really really really need it now!! if one of you could bring it really fast, that would be great. thanks guys!

After two second, it shows that both Moonbin and Eunwoo have read my message. I anxiously wait for a reply, but there isn't one. Professor Lee announces for us to pass up the homework or turn it in electronically and I start to panic. Although it's just a homework grade, we don't have many this semester, meaning it'll be hard to make up if I get a zero. 

"Has everyone turned it in? If you turn it in any later than now, I'll be deducting points," Professor Lee announces.

I turn to Chaeyeon and bury my face in my hands, "I'm so screwed."

Right then, the door opens. "Sorry, Professor Lee. Noh Jaeeun left her homework in her room so I brought it. I'm sorry if I was too slow. Please don't deduct any points, she worked really hard on this."

I lift my head at the sound of my name and see a sweaty Cha Eunwoo standing at the door. I can't tell if I'm excited that it's him or upset that it's not Moonbin. But there's definitely something off about the way I feel right now.