Follow the Sound of the Soul

Follow the Sound of the Soul

It’s starting to drive Kyungsoo crazy. He’s been 18 for just over two months and he desperately misses being 17. Being connected to his soulmate through music always sounded so romantic, he’d been counting down the days until his birthday. Now, he’s hyper aware of just how often music happens without him seeking it out. The latest pop song, a radio jingle, pointless elevator music, he’s caught himself humming or singing to everything and he’s slowly hating it He doesn’t understand how Yixing had been able to endure more than this. It’s his only saving grace that his soulmate is just an avid singer and doesn’t play instruments.

Kyungsoo is thankful Yixing has been around though. The elder has always been there when Kyungsoo calls for someone to help get rid of the itch in his throat. By his nature, he’s reluctant to continuously call on the elder, but Yixing always laughs it off and claims it to be payback to Chanyeol. Kyungsoo is almost jealous of the two of them. They feel together kind of effortlessly and he longs for the day his own soulmate becomes known to him. Not only just to ease the itch, but because finding the other half of him feels so important. It’s one such time with Yixing when he lets that slip.

“Hyung, I just want to know who it is already. There’s only so many times I can listen to the new SNSD song’s chorus before I throttle this mystery soulmate of mine.” Kyungsoo complains from his place on the piano bench. Yixing chuckles softly from where he’s checking his phone. A guitar casually sits in his lap from where they’ve been practicing together and Yixing looks like that is exactly where he should be. Kyungsoo still feels awkward every time he opens his mouth to sing. He’d made the mistake of practicing with Jongdae once and since then, he’s been especially jealous of the others ability to perfectly hit all of his notes. But he supposes everyone feels that way after hearing Jongdae sing.

“I know it’s a pain in the , Soo, but it’ll be worth it when you get to meet them.” Yixing smiles the way he always does when he thinks of Chanyeol and his cheek dimples in happiness. His phone buzzes from it’s place in his hands and Yixing looks back down at it. “Do you mind if Chanyeol swings by? My playing has got him wanting to play too.”

Yixing looks a little sheepish, aware that Kyungsoo isn’t super fond of singing in front of people he doesn’t know. Kyungsoo briefly pauses before agreeing. From the few times they’ve met, Chanyeol seems nice enough. Clueless and sometimes unaware of how long his limbs are but nice regardless. Yixing beams at his answer and quickly sends what Kyungsoo assumes is a confirmation text. The scratching starts back up again and Kyungsoo looks through his phone for another song to ease the feeling. Noticing Kyungsoo getting fidgety, Yixing drops his phone down beside him and strums a few mindless chords casually. The younger flips his phone to show the ballad he’s chosen and Yixing nods in recognition. Yixing readjusts the capo on his frets and slowly starts the introduction. Finally relaxing, Kyungsoo begins to join in with the melody. He gets a little lost in the music, so much so he almost doesn’t notice the door click open. Chanyeol sticks his head around the frame but Yixing keeps playing so Kyungsoo carries on until the end of the song as well. By the finish point the scratching has eased. Chanyeol enters quickly, dropping down onto the stool behind the drumkit and starts to stretch out his shoulders and wrists.

Playfully, Yixing stands up as if he’s getting ready to leave and Chanyeol pouts at him. Kyungsoo smiles at the teasing between the two of them but feels a small curl of jealously sit in his gut. It’s mostly easy to ignore though. They settle again and Chanyeol looks over to Kyungsoo as if waiting for a cue. Turning back to the sheet music they’d brought, he ruffles through them before settling on a simple slower tempo song. The itch has gone but Kyungsoo doesn’t mind carrying on for a little longer. There’s no scheduled afternoon classes on his timetable so staying isn’t going to hinder his studies. In the back of his mind, it’s a little satisfying to be the one causing the itch rather than the one experiencing it. They play for a few more songs without talking and Kyungsoo gets comfortable with some of the slightly harder songs he’d been wanting to practice. It’s about an hour later when everyone is played out and they’re sitting quietly for a moment. Chanyeol and Yixing seem to be buzzing as they sit in each other’s company. Stretching again, Chanyeol quietly groans as he loosens his shoulders. A contented smile lingers on Yixing’s face as he returns his guitar to it’s case. He grabs the sheet music from all three stands, despite not using it himself and everyone gets up and ready to leave. Yixing throws an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders and Chanyeol does the same to Yixing and despite feeling much shorter because of it, the situation feels comfortable despite not knowing Chanyeol very well.

“Yo, Kyungsoo, you’ve got a really good voice! It’s a super nice tone and you’d fit so nice with a couple of friends I know. Why haven’t you joined choir or anything?” Chanyeol is still cheerful and warm but Kyungsoo himself can feel the tiredness now so he can’t really handle the enthusiasm as well as Chanyeol can.

“I’m not really a big fan of singing in front of people I don’t know” Kyungsoo ducks his head to avoid meeting Chanyeol’s eyes, feeling a little guilty.

“It’s fine, it’s fine!” Chanyeol waves his hands hurriedly to try and comfort Kyungsoo in the way he knows best. Yixing chuckles at his boyfriend’s flailing limbs.

“I know who you mean though, Yeol. Baekhyun, right?” Yixing asks, before Chanyeol could hit either of them by accident. Just the mention of a name Kyungsoo doesn’t recognise makes him nervous but Yixing wouldn’t want him to meet this person if he didn’t think they would genuinely sound good together. Using that as a comforting thought, he finds himself agreeing to meet Baekhyun sometime or going to watch the choir show if that happened before a meeting could.

The three chat for a little longer but Chanyeol has a lecture to attend and Yixing has to go get ready for dance practice so they all part ways. Kyungsoo returns to his home to finish some work and completely forgets about the other mentioned singer.

That is until Chanyeol drops into the seat beside him in the cafeteria a few days later. It’s one of the only days he gets that none of the other group members can eat with him. Kyungsoo tends to just grab something and go into a class early with it or eat fast and then spend his free hour in the library but Chanyeol manages to catch him breaking his routines. The taller boy has his own food in hand as he slides into the chair. Smiling as always, Chanyeol seems to be perfectly at ease with Kyungsoo now. Apparently playing music with Chanyeol automatically makes you friends. Kyungsoo is halfway through his pasta and has a mouth full of it as the other sits so merely nods his greeting. There’s a brief moment of silence as Chanyeol gets comfortable before he launches into conversation.

“Have you given anymore thought to coming to the choir this evening? They’re performing and a few friends are a part of it so I’m going to support. Yixing will be there too so you don’t have to deal with just me. Kris is coming too if that’s any extra comfort.” Chanyeol opens with his invitation. Kyungsoo sits quietly for a while, chewing around the food in his mouth as an excuse not to answer straight away. It wouldn’t be like they’d expect him to sing so he’s probably ok to go.

“Yeah, I’ll come along. I don’t have anything to be working on anyways.” Kyungsoo agrees, hoping he won’t regret it later. They talk about a couple of other things, mostly music related until they have to split up to head to different areas of campus for their lectures. Chanyeol quickly makes plans to meet outside the hall twenty minutes before the show starts, plugs his number into Kyungsoo’s phone and runs to avoid being late.

It seemingly takes no time for Kyungsoo’s lecture to finish and after saying goodbye to a few of his classmates, he trails back to his dorm room. The small room is shared with an older friend of his from back home called Minseok. They’d met back in high school and when Kyungsoo had joined Minseok in university, it had made sense to live together. Both of them were tidy and mostly quiet and they’ve enjoyed living together for the most part. No one is home though when Kyungsoo returns and Minseok’s door is open. Kyungsoo sticks a head around the frame to check the elder is definitely not there but is met by an empty room. Knowing he can take his time, he climbs into the shower and washes off. Once clean again, he goes to stand in front of his closet to debate what exactly he should wear to a choir performance. Minseok finds him like that when he gets back and comes through to say hi.

“Hey Soo, you doing alright? Why are you staring at your clothes like you want them to burst into flames?” Minseok looks puzzled as he comes over to stand beside the younger.

“I’m trying to decide what is appropriate dress for a choir performance. It’s just in one of the university halls but I have no idea what I’m supposed to wear.” Kyungsoo chews on his lower lip as he explains. Minseok furrows his brows as he joins in the hunt. Eventually, they decide upon a pair of well fitting black jeans and a soft grey sweater. It had taken a lot of persuading to stop Kyungsoo wearing all black. The still balmy early autumn air means he won’t need a heavier coat. Minseok chuckles happily after Kyungsoo changes and fixes his hair.

“It’s almost like you’re getting ready for a date.” Minseok jokes, and Kyungsoo laughs as he raises an eyebrow. A little bit of casual conversation follows until the time is almost up and Kyungsoo grabs everything he’d need from his desk. Wishing Minseok a good night, he leaves their apartment and heads for the hall. He gets there a little before their meeting time but he wastes the time away aimlessly on his phone. Part way through reading an email from his supervisor, a shout of his name distracts him. Glancing up to find the source of the noise, he finds Chanyeol and Yixing walking towards him, followed by another tall guy Kyungsoo remembers as Kris. Chanyeol waves in greeting as they approach and Kyungsoo smiles back.

“Hey! He managed to talk you into it.” Yixing grins as they meet up. Yixing throws a casual arm around Kyungsoo in a hug as his own version of hello. “This is Kris from my course. You might have met him before but yeah. Kris, this is Kyungsoo. He’s a friend of Jongin’s so that’s how we met.”

Yixing is quick to explain and reintroduce the others. Kris holds out a hand and Kyungsoo is fast to reach out and shake it. The atmosphere is thankfully very relaxed with Yixing and Kris there to counter Chanyeol’s enthusiasm. The familiar feeling of being the shortest in his group hits full force as both Kris and Chanyeol are easily over 6 feet tall.

“Nice to re-meet you. Glad you saved me from third wheeling these two.” Kris says as they move into the hall. Chanyeol flits away to go find their seats and they chat casually until he returns with the four tickets. Guiding them through the building, Yixing naturally starts the conversation towards music.

“It’s getting easier and easier to ignore the itch now that I know who Chanyeol is. It used to be so annoying whenever I had a lecture at the same time as one of his practical sessions. I missed so many notes.” Yixing rubs the back of his neck as he talks.

“I’m fairly sure the professor of that class wants to turf you out half the time. You’re always so fidgety in the lecture.” Kris jokes and Kyungsoo is glad the other came along. It’s nice to have someone else who isn’t so obviously musical.

“I can’t help it! And I think you’re forgetting how bad both you and Junmyeon were before you got together.” Yixing is quick to defend and tease back. It feels like something they joke about a lot.

“Thank god we did so quickly though.” Kris sighs. “I think he’d have killed me if I’d put him through anymore second hand hip hop.”

“I know the feeling of wanting to kill a soulmate based on their taste in music more and more recently.” Kyungsoo confesses.

“Another hip hop fan?” Kris turns as he asks. Kyungsoo shakes his head in a quick denial.

“The complete opposite. SNSD.”

Kris and Chanyeol both laugh at Kyungsoo’s admittance but for once it doesn’t feel mean or targeted.

“Oh that’s great. I can totally see you humming along to cutesy girl group concepts.” Chanyeol comments through his laughter.

“Don’t worry too much, Soo.” Yixing comforts as the other two carry on laughing. “The singing stops after you meet each other and get eye contact.”

It’s a relief to hear he won’t be plagued with pop songs forever even if the two months he’s been connected so far already feel too long.

“I just have to meet them now.” Kyungsoo says a little wistfully.

“Don’t worry, man. It’ll happen eventually in a way you probably won’t even see coming.” Kris smiles as he remembers meeting Junmyeon for the first time. Everyone he knew seemed to have fond memories of their first meeting and Kyungsoo finds the familiar twist of jealousy hit him again. He brushes it aside quickly, knowing it’s just him being a little petty. The conversation moves on away from soulmates and the four of them find their seats. Kyungsoo sits beside Yixing on the edge of the row and he nervously waits in silence as the time to the start of the show counts down. His hands aimlessly move over each other until the lights dim, betraying his restlessness. But eventually the bright lights darken and the choir takes the stage. There’s about 12 guys on stage, Kyungsoo recognising Jongdae near the centre of the first row. There’s another face he recognises as Kyuhyun from his upper classes. The first song must be acapella as the piano set off to one side remains without a player. As the crowd applauds, Chanyeol whoops aloud and Yixing laughs at his boyfriend’s antics. Yixing leans into Kyungsoo’s ear and names a couple more of the singers for Kyungsoo.

“The one second from the left on the front row is Junmyeon, Kris’s soulmate and my classmate. You obviously know Jongdae down in the centre as always. Back row, far right is Luhan, an old friend of mine and next to him is Henry who is an upperclassman to Chanyeol. Directly behind Jongdae is Baekhyun. He’s the one Chanyeol thinks you should sing with sometime.” Yixing finishes explaining there, not knowing everyone himself and wanting to avoid talking over the start of the first song. Kyungsoo nods along with each name, eyes lingering on Baekhyun. There’s a short countdown and then a low harmonious note starts from three of the vocalists. The song kicks into full swing and suddenly, the rest of the choir swells and joins in. Voice layers over voice beautifully and Kyungsoo lets himself get lost in the song. That is… until his throat constricts.

He gasps as the itch hits him and he’s just loud enough to catch Yixing’s attention. The elder turns to him with concern in his eyes as Baekhyun takes the first solo. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen and his head wobbles as he subconsciously mouths the words Baekhyun vocalises. Making panicked eye contact with Yixing until the song ends, Kyungsoo takes to his feet the moment the last note is played. He just wants to get out of the hall that feels oh so small now.

In behind the sound of blood rushing in his ears, he hears Yixing follow him and once they both leave the hall, his name floats to him through the buzzing in his ears. Hands find his shoulders and guide him until he’s sitting on the floor against the wall. It’s a little overwhelming to suddenly know the face of his soulmate. To suddenly know the person he’s destined to spend the rest of his life with. But Yixing is there, talking to him, and he manages to focus and listen to him.

“Soo, deep breaths, you’re ok.” Yixing keeps talking in that smooth regular tone and it isn’t until Yixing reaches out to brush away the tears that he realises he’s crying.

“It’s ok, I’m alright.” Kyungsoo reassures the elder, shaking his head and wiping his face clean. “I’m sorry for overreacting. Just caught me off guard.”

“No, Soo, it’s fine. Who is it? You know, right?” Yixing’s voice is still soft but his words cut straight to the core. Sniffling in an effort to control his tears, Kyungsoo nods slowly.

“It’s Baekhyun. It has to be. I felt very word he sang. I can still feel it.” Kyungsoo admits, expecting a solemn response or at least a calm one from Yixing. What he doesn’t expect is the wide grin that spreads over Yixing’s face.

“Kyungsoo! This is great! You guys fit so well together musically that both me and Chanyeol noticed it. Your bond is going to be so strong. I can’t wait to introduce you to each other.” Yixing beams excitedly and Kyungsoo is a little stunned at the response. But Yixing’s happiness is a little infectious and he can’t fight the small smile that creeps onto his own face. Hadn’t he, just earlier, been complaining about wanting to find whoever his soulmate is? And now he has the chance to meet him face to face. After calming down a little, he lets Yixing pull him up onto his feet and guide him back into the hall. They find their seats quickly between songs. Kris and Chanyeol turn concerned eyes on him but both Yixing and Kyungsoo shake their heads to let them know it’s ok and there’s nothing to worry about.

For the rest of the performance, Kyungsoo can barely look away from Baekhyun. The words that leave Baekhyun’s mouth burn in Kyungsoo’s throat as he fights to keep from joining in. Yixing has an almost permanent smirk on his face, even when the choir sing their slower, more emotional ballads and everyone else around them grows a little sombre. The show finishes with a gentle crowd pleaser that the audience joins in with and Kyungsoo can finally sing along. Relief soothes the scratchy feeling and being able to sing also calms his somewhat frayed nerves. It’s probably the longest he’s had to endure the scratching without being able to sing it away.

Chanyeol is beaming by the end of the show and as the choir leaves the stage, everyone seems to be pleased with the result of the performance. Guiding them down towards the backstage area, Kris is smiley bit it falters when he sees the slightly smug look on Yixing’s face. He stops moving and turns to fix Yixing with a look.

“Oh God, what are you scheming?” Kris pauses and raises an eyebrow. “You only ever look like that when you’re planning something for one of us.”

Yixing merely giggles and excitedly grabs both Kyungsoo’s and Chanyeol’s hands pulling them along with him. The two taller boys look a little startled by the change in attitude but go along with it. They move around the stage and with a quick word from Chanyeol, they’re let into the back. Kris beelines towards his boyfriend and wraps him in a bear hug, congratulating him. Junmyeon is with Jongdae, Baekhyun and Luhan so Yixing wastes no time in leading the other two over to join the group. The part easily to let the newcomers into the circle and Yixing immediately starts on the introductions.

“Luhan, Junmyeon, Baekhyun, this is Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo, this is Luhan, Junmyeon and Baekhyun.” Yixing gestures his way around the group and everyone waves their greetings. Kyungsoo slowly looks around returning the sentiments before summoning the courage to meet Baekhyun’s eyes. It takes a little moment before Baekhyun returns the eye contact and when they finally meet gazes, they both gasp. Tingling prickles through his fingers, stronger than it’s ever been when he’s needed to sing in the past. He watches Baekhyun’s eyes grow wide, probably similar to his own. The conversation dies around them and slowly the rest of the group turns to face them.

“No way…” Baekhyun whispers under his breath as they stare at each other. Baekhyun’s eyes seem to sparkle until finally they break the line of sight. The tingling eases but leaves behind a pleasant warmth in it’s wake.

“Okaaaaaay…” Jongdae drags out. “This is completely unfair. Kyungsoo has been linked with his soulmate for like two months and he’s already found out who it is. I’ve been looking for mine for nearly a year now.”

Yixing and Luhan move almost simultaneously to Jongdae’s sides and if Kyungsoo didn’t know better he would say they were twins with the synchronicity they operate with. Luhan’s hand covers Jongdae’s mouth and Yixing’s arm wraps around his shoulders and between them they drag him away. With a glance between Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, Junmyeon smiles softly. He takes Kris by the hand and makes some excuse to lead the two of them away. Chanyeol helpfully errs before he understands what’s going on. Winking conspiratorially at Baekhyun, he retreats away from the two of them to talk to some of the other members of the choir.

The two remaining stand and stare at each other for a while. Kyungsoo feels all the nerves rush through him at once. There’s soft conversations happening all around them but neither is really listening to the background noise, despite not speaking themselves.

“Wow.” Baekhyun finally breaks the silence between them. “Honestly, didn’t think I would get to meet you so soon. Or that I would be lucky enough and you would be this cute.”

Kyungsoo blinks in shock and Baekhyun giggles at the clearly startled expression on his face. For a moment, Kyungsoo pauses wondering if Baekhyun means what he says but the other obviously interprets that as him being shy.

“I’m sorry. That might have come across a little wrong.” He chuckles under his breath, a little embarrassed. “I’m Baekhyun. I’m a second year music production and I’m also your soulmate. At least, I think I am.”

The smile he directs to Kyungsoo banishes any doubts he had left.

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Kyungsoo, a first year biochemistry major and I think we could be soulmates too.” Kyungsoo returns the smile but before Baekhyun can respond he continues. “That’s only if you find another SNSD song to sing though. I’ve heard enough Party to last me a lifetime.”

Baekhyun simply laughs, throws an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders and leans a little closer.

“Don’t worry Kyungsoo. They’ve got a whole album we can learn together.”