When I Wake

The Dark Sacred Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You don't have a plan.”

“I have half a plan.”

“But you've never tried it out to this extent.”

“No,” Minkyung says, gathering cloth in her hands. Surely this bed sheet will come in useful somehow later, “I don't think I've ever tried frying an entire landing pad's worth of people and equipment at one go. Hell, I don’t think I’ve ever tried frying people. That’s just not a thing I do, you know.”

“Well,” Yaebin says, “First time for everything I suppose. And that’s not what your file says about you.”

Minkyung pauses, “What does my file say about me?”

“Dangerous,” Yaebin says, “destructive. Something about cars and computers. Has a blurry photo of you as a high school student. You do look almost exactly the same.”

Minkyung nods.

Yaebin shrugs, “At least you haven’t killed anyone. That’s probably why it took them this long to find you - they weren’t actively hunting for you when they have enough of what they’re looking for right now.”

“Looking for?”

Yaebin’s eyes narrow, “You don’t think you actually got sent up here for no reason, do you? Do you know how expensive a launch like this is?”

Minkyung pauses.

“Well,” Yaebin says, “you’re lucky you got me. I’m sure the others aren’t quite as nice.”

“Others,” Minkyung says quietly, “there are others?”

Yaebin shrugs, “I don’t know for sure but there must be. It takes a while for the power to fade and before it does I can’t do anything so there must be more if they want to do anything.”

Minkyung hums, low, reaches around Yaebin for the toothbrush behind her, then stops in her tracks.

“What do you mean by power fading?”

Yaebin grins, a small wall of wind hits Minkyung’s face and she freezes.

“What did you just do?”

She reaches out to to grab Yaebin's hands, stops short of actually contacting them, “Is-”

Yaebin’s grin widens, “Yup! It's actually awfully useful. I've been using it to move things from a distance.”

“Wha-How-”

“What's the fun in me-”

“How do you have Nayoung's power,” Minkyung hisses.

Yaebin takes a step back, “Ok, ok. Relax. I told you, that's what I do. I just drain some of it and it has to go somewhere, right, so I keep it. Can't keep too much or I'd explode. That's not fun.”

“Explode,” says Minkyung, “like literally explode?”

Yaebin shrugs, “Never actually tried. It just starts hurting after a while like it wants to break out, so I stop. When I said I left her a little, it's not that I didn't want to take it, I couldn't. Already filled little old me up so I just put a lid on it and voila, everyone is happy, I get to live another day.”

Minkyung opens .

“No height jokes.”

Minkyung closes . She turns away.

Yaebin feels a chill run down her spine but all Minkyung does is fold more clothes into a bag before she straightens up, turns back.

“Well, if I think of you as mini-Nayoung then there is a lot more we can do.”

Yaebin frowns, “I thought I said no height jokes.”

“9512,” she hears the words, “Do you have anything to report?”

Nayoung’s forearm throbs but for a moment the air goes dry around them, then stills.

Jieqiong's hair.

What happened to Jieqiong’s hair? She sees only the odd strand peeking out from beneath the regulation cap, nothing of the soft waves that she remembers combing in the mornings.

Jieqiong loved her hair, she knows.

Nayoung's right hand twitches, itches to brush the stray strands down, to run her fingers through whatever is left, to say that whatever happened, that it is now alright.

A soft, soft breeze, all she can manage, tickles Jieqiong’s face.

Jieqiong flinches.

Nayoung’s heart clenches.

“I said,” Jieqiong’s voice trembles, “9512, do you have anything to report?”

Behind, her sink drips once, twice, then a third time.

“No, sir,” says Nayoung as now her left shoulder burns and the bars come back into focus between them.

Jieqiong holds her gaze for another second before her eyes flick down and away. She marks something down on the clipboard and Nayoung follows the sounds of her boots down the corridor, wishes, wishes, wishes, she could just reach out, wishes she could follow but her power is no longer with her and there is nothing she can do but sit and wait.

The stillness of the air mocks her.

“So the plan is we let it land, they come for you and then we run?”

Minkyung sighs, “We fake the security camera footage, let it land, pray they don't blow it up because the lander is more expensive than the two of us put together, get out, pray they don’t shoot either of us on sight, I find a car, and we get the out of here. Then we go on the run for real for the rest of our lives. Or something.”

“Or something?” Yaebin moves and Minkyung debates slapping her because this is a seat for one and the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter