Chapter Four

Jam Jam

Jam Jam


 

 

 


The recent cold front lasted for more than several days and each morning Seokjin had to huddle next to his makeshift crepe griddle for warmth. Fortunately for him, Namjoon hadn’t been deterred by the cold weather at all. He had shown up every morning by six, more faithful and reliable than the old church bells that could be heard just down the street. Seokjin reveled in his attention, every morning chat had revealed that the hybrid was somewhat of a fashion enthusiast, he enjoyed oversized coats and layering soft sweaters with clingy cotton shirts, and that his morning self was always on the mellow and endearingly sleepy vulnerable side.


During the past week, Seokjin had also learned that Namjoon’s favorite color was peaches and cream and though Seokjin had no idea if it was actually pink or orange, Namjoon’s dimpled grin always had him agreeing. The hybrid also had a definite sweet tooth and by this point, he had tried everything on Seokjin’s little food truck menu, which by now had expanded to breakfast crepes that rivaled the mighty burrito.


The third morning’s visit Namjoon gifted him had Seokjin picking up on the fact that he was still in his third year of college and was majoring in music composition and production. And that Namjoon had a habit of eating a little too quickly and a little bit messily. Seokjin often had to step out of the truck to clean the hybrid’s face. His reaction to the grooming was cute every single time and Seokjin wasn’t one for lies, so he didn’t bother trying to deny to himself that he was a little addicted to Namjoon’s pink cheeks and sugary smile.


However he could never really forget that Namjoon had a boyfriend (especially since it wasn’t Seokjin himself).


But today was beyond bitterly cold once again, and though it was just fifteen minutes from five o’clock, the sun was already rising and casting light to the sky in the form of brilliant yellow streaks and frosted baby blues, clouds stained a mix of pink and gold as well.


This day felt a little different to Seokjin, and he supposed it had to do with that fact that Namjoon was already standing at his food truck, soft white ears perked up under his cap and giving the wool a funny shape. His pink hair was once again electrified with static and messy fringe was splaying across his forehead, giving him an overall gentle and fairy light look.


“Good morning hyung!” Namjoon chirped, tone cheery despite the fact that he was rubbing the sleep from his eyes still. The weather hadn’t seemed to affect him as much lately, but Seokjin still got to enjoy the strawberry tinted flush of cold that dashed across his cheeks and the tip of his nose.


“Good morning Namjoonie,” Seokjin replied, the familiar pseudo-nickname rolling off his tongue with ease now. Due to the hybrid’s slightly introverted nature, it had taken him a while to warm up around Seokjin and refer to him as ‘hyung’ rather than his first name.


Leaning against the serving window, Seokjin rested his hand under his chin and put on what he knew was his handsome and charming smile. “To what do I owe the pleasure of seeing your adorable self so early?”


Although really oblivious at times, Seokjin’s slightly flirty tone still had Namjoon flushing from time to time. The hybrid may be taken, but a little flirt now and then didn’t hurt anyone…at least Seokjin hoped so. He just might be a little too cocky with his interest because he had never met the hybrid’s boyfriend before, and he was confident Insta-nothing knew nothing about him in return.


Brightening and losing his sleepy look immediately, Namjoon bounced up in down in place a little, before he noticed Seokjin sending him amused looks. Coughing slightly to clear his throat, Namjoon spoke in barely concealed excitement.


“My sketches were chosen to be put in my school’s art gallery!” The revelation was said a little too loudly in the quiet morning and Seokjin took a moment to absorb the information. He probably should have noticed earlier, especially with all the staring he does at Namjoon, but the hybrid’s jacket was kind of pulled in at the shoulders because he had a little velvet black backpack on. Every time he moved, the zipper jingled a little and Seokjin could easily imagine Namjoon carrying around bells because he once said he liked the noise they made.


Finally snapping out of his daze at Namjoon’s expectant face, Seokjin grinned widely at Namjoon and even gave his own round of applause. “Congratulations! That’s wonderful news, your college must have good taste if they picked your art to exhibit.” His reply made Namjoon’s smile widen, familiar dimples dipping into the center of his cheeks and matching his happy sparkling brown eyes.


“Thank you, but y-you’re exaggerating a little, I got lucky they picked me this month.” Namjoon said. He fiddled with the straps of his backpack and Seokjin felt his heart softening.


“Hey, I wasn’t exaggerating. I was stating a fact, your sketches are the best.” ‘Even though I’ve never seen any of them…’ Seokjin thought a little late. He had no idea Namjoon was taking art classes, but his assumptions about the hybrid’s artist hands were definitely correct if his college chose his work out of all the other students to display in their gallery.


As if realizing the same, Namjoon ducked his head and lightly scuffed the tip of his converse against the frozen ground. “How do you know if they’re any good? I haven’t even shown my sketchbook to you.”


This was one of the moments where Namjoon got bashful. Seokjin had picked up on the signs and right now, Namjoon was biting into his lower lip nervously, he was fiddling with his hands, and he was avoiding eye contact. If he could see his ears and tail at the moment, Seokjin was sure that they were droopy and still.


Standing a little straighter, Seokjin tried to keep his voice soothingly calm and coaxing. “Then prove me right and show me your sketchbook, Namjoonie.”


Startled, the hybrid glanced up and met Seokjin’s eyes. “You r-really want to see it?” He asked, hope and maybe a little bit of disbelief in his big brown eyes. Seokjin had to wonder who was responsible for pushing this adorable kitten aside, because he always seemed genuinely surprised whenever he was asked about himself or his hobbies. Seokjin definitely had words to exchange with them.


“Of course, I would never pass up a chance to see what you’re interested in and worked hard on.”


One more unsure lip bite later, Namjoon had slung his backpack off one shoulder and had dug around in it before pulling out a simple matte leather book. It was surprisingly heavy in Seokjin’s hands and the human felt just a bit touched that the hybrid had trusted him enough to give it to him so quickly.


“J-just skip the first pages, they aren’t as good as the ones I recently made.” Namjoon mumbled, head turned slightly to the right and eyes once again avoiding Seokjin’s. His sweet strawberry flush had worked its way up to a cherry red blush and Seokjin found himself melting on the inside. He could tell how much it meant to Namjoon for him to give away his sketchbook for appraisal, even if he never said it aloud, and the way he was trying to discreetly act like he wasn’t watching Seokjin was too cute for words.


“There’s no way I’m skipping any pages.” Seokjin said lightly, though his tone was dead serious. He traced over the black leather cover, feeling the worn softness it held before he flicked it open. Namjoon’s name was scrawled on the first page, bubbly calligraphy adorned with a tiny sketch of a songbird sitting on a thin branch under the letters. The sketch was incredibly detailed and were the sketch in color, Seokjin was sure that it would fly off the page.


Impressed already, Seokjin flipped through the next few pages, each one better than the last. Even the idle doodles looked like aesthetic line art and Seokjin could already see Namjoon’s talent and passion within the book. He never focused on one thing in his drawing, everything from portraits to landscapes and animals, and even pretty architecture were featured in the book and Seokjin wondered if there was anything Namjoon wasn’t passionate about, or good at.


“I, uhm, I’m not good at cooking!” Namjoon offered, eyes wide and cherry color still staining his cheeks. “And I don’t like seafood?”


Seokjin blinked in surprise. He hadn’t meant to blurt that idle question, but the answers he received made him chuckle in fondness. “What kind of kitty doesn’t like fish?”


Huffing, Namjoon crossed his arms. “It just tastes weird to me. And I couldn’t imagine eating crab legs, that’s so cruel to my ocean friends!!”


“And eating beef or bacon isn’t cruel to pigs and cows?” Seokjin teased, resisting the urge to pinch Namjoon’s cheeks and coo at him when he puffed his cheeks with a little frustrated huff. The cat hybrid’s tail had popped out from under his coat in his frustration and it was swaying rapidly from side to side, catching the rays of the rising sun and glittering like fresh snow.


“That’s different!” Came the hybrid’s immediate reply. Seokjin of course had already discussed food with him and he was a little surprised to find that his palate was similar to that of the average American kid. “And besides, Kobe beef is made from happy cows.”


Shaking his head at the little fact, Seokjin decided not to comment on the price of such prized meat. He had visited some in-laws in japan and has seen the restaurant prices of Kobe beef.


“Alright, you can be the first cat hybrid I know who doesn’t like shrimp,” Seokjin teased lightly once again.


“I’m the first and only cat hybrid you know who doesn’t like seafood.” Namjoon’s declaration was followed with a flash of pointed white teeth and Seokjin had to stifle more laughter at how utterly non-threatening the action was. Namjoon was probably doing it unconsciously, but even when he was trying to be threatening, he was fluffy and sweet.


The light atmosphere had warmed Seokjin somewhat and he returned to flipping through Namjoon’s sketchbook. In a surprising change, the latter pages were filled in with color to the edge of the paper. Each picture ranged in media from watercolor, pastels, markers, pens, colored pencils, and even a dash of acrylic paint. The color application was a little clumsy at first, but as Seokjin continued through the sketchbook, he saw Namjoon’s work progress from clean contrasting colors, to blended and shaded realistic color.


The last page was beautiful. It was a black panther lounging in a tree, but Seokjin could see the faint blue-black sheen of the predator’s fur. The depth added to its golden eyes was astonishingly realistic and Seokjin almost felt as if the panther were looking at him. The rest of the sketch was blended out into a charcoal landscape and the detail of it only served to compliment the intricate and full-color panther.


It was awe inspiring and powerful, and Seokjin told Namjoon he thought so.


Predictably, the hybrid had gotten shy and his tail curled at the end, “I-It’s not much. I’m still practicing.” Namjoon had said, trying to brush off the praise Seokjin was all too willing to give him. He was so humble and sweet and Seokjin really wanted to take him home and spend all day and night cuddling him. No one was around so maybe he could sneak in a little air kiss and another compliment—


Namjoon’s phone began ringing shrilly, cutting through the air and startling them both. Fumbling around for a good thirty seconds, a red faced Namjoon finally got ahold of his cell phone. He sent one slightly apologetic glance at Seokjin before he walked a couple steps away, back turned to Seokjin as he took the call.


“Kookie?” Seokjin heard Namjoon answer, warmth and fondness in his voice. Seokjin had never heard such a tone from the cat hybrid before and a sliver of jealousy pierced his heart. His Instagram stalking had gotten him the full name of Namjoon’s boyfriend, but he shouldn’t have been too surprised that they were the cutesy couple who referred to each other with cheesy pet names.


(Namjoon slipping up and calling him Jinnie one time was obviously different.)


Shaking his head, Seokjin scolded himself. He had been a bit too focused on Namjoon a moment ago, so much so that he had almost forgotten the kitty already had someone to call his own. Sighing and deciding to play the distraction game now, especially since he could barely pick out what Namjoon was saying in the quiet dawn, Seokjin began preparing to make a new batch of crepes. He still pre-made the dough every night, and he probably didn’t need to get up to sell so early since most of his clientele consisted of lost people wandering to his truck after lunch, but he could never miss waking up to see Namjoon every day.


“-ood morning to you too, did you manage to finish your report for tomorrow…?”


Speaking of Namjoon, Seokjin could hear him now, even as he poured the first dollop of batter on the sizzling stove top. He was on auto-pilot as he smoothed the batter into a perfect circle, ears tuned in to Namjoon’s rapidly flattening voice.


“O-oh. I thought you would be able to come since you don’t have class today.”


Trying not to eavesdrop, but epically failing, Seokjin flipped his crepe and sent a quick look out the serving window. Namjoon’s head was tilted down, tail hanging down from under his coat and almost brushing the cold sidewalk. He looked dejected and Seokjin wondered if it had to do with his boyfriend Jungguk’s possible attendance at the art gallery display.


The crepe was done now, so Seokjin removed it from the stove top griddle and laid it neatly on his signature pink and gold wax paper. He wasn’t too picky with his fillings this time, his eyes busy watching Namjoon’s shoulders slump even further.


“Well. I guess it’s a good thing TaeTae’s there to help you too.” The hybrid mumbled, the passive-aggressive mumbling of the ridiculous nickname surprising Seokjin. Namjoon didn’t strike him as the possessive type, but there was some hurt and disappointment as well as some mild venom mixed into his tone of voice.


“I’m not mad… Fine, see you later Jungguk.” Namjoon scoffed, hanging up and staring emptily at his phone screen before shoving it in his jacket pocket aggressively. With a quick turn of his heel that was more graceful than angry, Namjoon began striding to the food truck’s serving window with a scowl marring his pretty lips.


“Hyung, give me a crepe.” He demanded, brown eyes sparking for the moment.


Not wanting to disappoint, Seokjin scrambled to make a new crepe when he realized he had been mixing his ingredients a bit too much. There was no way Namjoon wanted a chili and chocolate crepe, he liked swee---


“Don’t waste food!!” Namjoon scolded, reaching up and grabbing Seokjin’s wrist in a surprisingly firm grip. His eyes had lost some of their ferocity, but he still appeared irritated with a frown on his lips and his eyes narrowed.


“I wasn’t wasting it,” Seokjin managed to mumble as Namjoon took the crepe from his hands, clumsily folding it himself and immediately chomping into it.


Namjoon’s eyes widened at the taste and Seokjin almost felt bad for him—


“WOW. This is so good!” The cat hybrid exclaimed, taking another bite and another, nearly at the taste after each bite. Seokjin could only stare in shock as Namjoon devoured the whole thing. He had mentioned once that he could barely tolerate chili in his food, so how was he scarfing down a crepe made with milk chocolate, shaved dark chocolate, and homemade chili paste!?


In his haste to eat, Namjoon bit into the wax paper again, only to blink and spit it out immediately, cheeks a flaming red again.


“You didn’t see that.” Namjoon huffed, looking way too cuddly and adorable for Seokjin’s heart with his staticky pink hair, averted fawn brown eyes, and oversized winter wear, which by now was tilted off center because one kitty ear was poking out under the rim of his woolen cap. Really, this cutie should be protected at all costs.


Trying to tamp down his feels, Seokjin put on his flirty grin and leaned down closer to Namjoon. “Tell you what kitten, you let me accompany you to your art gallery debut, and I’ll pretend you didn’t eat wax paper again.”


Namjoon eyes widened a little at that, but the rest of Seokjin’s demand must have distracted him because instead of acting cute and blushy, he narrowed his eyes. “What do you mean again?”


Laughing a little to himself, Seokjin held up three fingers and folded one down after he listed off each incident. “You ate a bite when we first met, then again when you were running late, and what happened just now can be added as well.” Namjoon’s clumsiness wasn’t just limited to tripping over nothing or occasionally bumping into things and people, or getting food everywhere. He also got too distracted with enjoyment while eating Seokjin’s crepes and accidentally bit into wax paper multiple times.


Embarrassed, Namjoon lowered his eyes, long lashes brushing lightly against his heated cheeks. “Don’t add today b-because Iwouldlikeyoutoseemyartgallerydebuttoo.”


Hiding a pleased smirk, Seokjin pretended not to understand what the cat hybrid said. “I’m sorry, I didn’t quite catch that, can you repeat your question?”


Namjoon sought embarrassed refuge in his scarf and buried himself in it until only his eyes were showing. “I said, I would like you to see my art gallery debut too. So please pretend this third incident never happened?” He was trying to glare as he said it, but he looked absolutely harmless wrapped up in his cozy scarf, one ear still braving the cold and the other hidden under a woolen cap.


“I would love to be your date for the day, kitten.” Seokjin purred in complete satisfaction.


He wasn’t a homewrecker, but Jimin was right about one thing; as soon as Namjoon’s man slipped up, Seokjin was going to swoop in and take his chance.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Yo, I finally updated (*^ω^*)

Hit me up on wattpad if you wanna read a Namjoon x Maknae line hybrid!au fic (exclusive to wattpad)

Strawberry Sugar