One

All for you
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was an unusually peaceful day for the maknae of Red Velvet. There weren't any schedules for the day (surprisingly). No interviews. No photo shoots. No recordings. No practicing dance routines for hours upon hours. Nothing.

The day was hers.

The young blonde figured that she should enjoy her rare day off to the fullest: by doing absolutely nothing. She didn’t want to exert any amount of effort on anything. She just wanted to relax, and enjoy a day free from her responsibilities as an idol; something that didn’t happen as often as she liked.

Such was the price she had to pay to make her dream of becoming an idol into reality.

To the young idol who spent months working tirelessly for Red Velvet’s last comeback, doing absolutely nothing sounded like paradise. Sure, she would have rather spent her day sunbathing on the warm beaches of Thailand, feeling the cool ocean breeze on her face, savoring the beautiful taste of watermelon juice on her tongue and devouring all the banana roti, but she would have to settle for resting in the dorm for now.

And that's what Yeri did for the start of the day. She did nothing.

And it was glorious.

But doing nothing became boring. She had already spent hours watching random videos on YouTube, collecting daily login bonuses for the app games on her phone, and lurking through numerous hashtags that pertained to Red Velvet on Twitter and Instagram to see what Reveluvs were posting. (She also may have stolen some memes, but nobody needed to know about that.)

What else was there for her to do?

Nothing.

What started out as her source of joy later became the source of her headache.

“Argh I’m so bored!” Yeri huffed as she rolled over on her bed, accidentally knocking one of her pillows off in the process.

She could’ve cared less. Her room was already a bit messy in the first place. There was an empty, crumpled bag of potato chips on her bed that she ate earlier and didn't throw away. There was also a pile of laundry lying on the ground that she never got around to putting away, even though the leader washed them days ago. A dropped pillow or two wouldn’t have made a big difference.

Wendy, the kind soul that she was, offered to help Yeri clean up her room many times, but was refused by the maknae. Although it was a mess, it was an “organized mess.” Yeri knew exactly where everything was. This system didn’t work for everyone, but it worked for Yeri and that’s what mattered (in her mind at least.)

She should have done something productive like clean her room instead of screwing around on her phone, but how could that have happened when she couldn’t even clean her inbox and delete the three-thousand unread emails that had piled up over the past year? Cleaning her room wasn’t going to happen. At least, not on her one rare day off from idol life. If Irene nagged her about it enough, then she’d think about it. She’d think about it more if the leader gave her some pepero as a reward for her efforts, but she doubt that would happen anytime soon.

Boredom was slowly killing her. It would’ve been a different story if her partner-in-crime, Joy, was in the dorm, but she wasn’t. Satan number one was mysteriously missing in action doing god know’s what.

The maknae supposed she could have bothered Wendy, but the Canadian was probably locked up in her room reading novels or something of that nature and Yeri didn’t want to potentially scar herself for life.

Irene was probably doing something mundane like laundry and would try to get Yeri to help if she walked around the dorm. Yeri may have been bored out of her mind, but she was not bored enough to do laundry. It was safer for Yeri to stay out leader's sight.

The future seemed bleak until the image of a certain smiling girl with cute ears popped up in her mind but Yeri shook that thought away. Seulgi was most likely living up to her nickname and sleeping the day away. She deserved to rest.

But not all hope was lost. There was one person that could Yeri could always count on in her time of need.

“I wonder what Ronnie is doing right now...,” Yeri asked out loud despite being the only one in her room. Lying lazily on her stomach with her sleek iPhone in hand, she quickly typed a text message and sent it to her best friend who was always up to hang out.

[Me: RONALD MCDONALD!!! Up for a Netflix binge???]

One minute of silence passed by and no reply came. Usually the actress responded almost instantaneously, but that didn’t happen for some reason.

Right when she was going to send twenty more back-to-back messages complaining about how Saeron was taking twenty years to respond, a message suddenly popped up on her phone’s screen.

[Saeron: Sorry. Not today. Have a lot of stuff I gotta take care of]

Yeri rolled her eyes in annoyance at Saeron’s reply even though she knew the actress couldn’t see her. How dare Saeron have responsibilities.

[Me: Wowwwww. Rude much?]

[Saeron: You're rude]

[Me: You’re the one being ruDE SMH I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS]

[Saeron: How am I being rude???]

[Me: Because you should be here with me and you’re not :( ]

[Saeron: Oh my! I never knew you were so romantic <3]

[Me: Only for you, boo :* ]

[Saeron: Awwwww <3 ]

[Saeron: Is that kiss for me?]

[Me: You know it, bb]

[Saeron: Hmmm~]

[Saeron: Hey! I have an idea]

Yeri smiled. Maybe things would work out after all and they could vegetate on the couch together for the rest of the day and watch a bunch of random documentaries or play video games.

[Me: What? You're going to cancel everything to hang out with me? :D]

[Me: I knew I could count on you]

[Saeron: Nope ;D]

Yeri's eyebrows furrowed as she read the last message sent from Saeron. While other people probably would have killed to get a text message from the widely known actress, the winky face emoticon made Yeri suspicious. Well that and the fact that they both enjoyed messing with each other. They were pretty much twins in that regard. Maybe it had something to do with them sharing the same last name.

But there was the million-dollar question that still needed to be answered: what exactly was the other girl up to?

Right when Yeri was going to type another message, she got interrupted by Saeron.

[Saeron: Why don't you give your favorite unnie a kiss instead? ;) ]

It was in that exact moment that Yeri wished technology evolved to the point where she could smack her so called “best friend” through her phone’s screen. Why wasn’t that in existence yet? Yeri didn’t know why, but she did know one thing: Saeron was lucky she wasn’t in the same room as Yeri because she would’ve shoved the other girl off the bed without hesitation. And maybe shove a stinky sock or two in for extra punishment.

God Ronnie, I hate you sometimes. Ugh.

Ever since Yeri let it slip that she might have had a crush on a certain fellow Red Velvet member, Saeron never let it go. She thought the other girl would’ve forgotten all about it, but nope. It was the complete opposite. Saeron would bring it up whenever they talked, and it was getting to be annoying.

Very annoying.

Yeri made a mental note to get back at Saeron later. How? She didn’t know yet, but something was going to be done. She would make sure of that.

“Argh! Stupid jerk,” Yeri spat as she threw her phone to the other side of the bed and groaned. She misjudged the strength she put in the throw, and the phone bounced off the bed and fell onto the floor with a loud thump. How could she have been so stupid to reveal her secret in the first place? She planned on taking it to the grave, but her and Saeron shared a bottle of soju one night and...

Yeri had diarrhea of the mouth. She told Saeron everything. Everything.

(She also puked her guts out multiple times that night and vowed to never drink again, but that was beside the point.)

It wasn’t like she planned on developing feelings for the older girl in the first place. She didn’t wake up one day and say to herself “Gee, I think I’m going to develop feelings for my fellow Red Velvet member because I’m bored and need more excitement in life!”

It just….happened.

She tried denying her feelings at first and told herself that she just admired Seulgi as an unnie (even though she hardly ever called the older one by that title) but the ever-increasing signs continued to constantly slap Yeri so hard that she couldn’t ignore them anymore.

The increase in heart rate whenever she made eye contact with Seulgi.

The feeling of nervousness whenever she was around (especially when the bear walked around the dorm wearing tops that showed off her toned abs. That was pure hell.)

Constantly thinking about the Seulgi throughout the day (even when she was trying to sleep.) She tried to distract herself by going on Instagram and interacting with fans sometimes, but one can only keep themselves distracted for so long.

And the dreams. The dreams. Don’t even get her started on the dreams.

Dreams of them holding hands, sharing an ice cream cone, walking side by side, arms linked and wide smiles on their faces... 

Dreams of them lying next to each other in bed, staring into each other’s eyes talking about everything and anything under the sun and laughing at each other’s dumb jokes...

Dreams where they whispered “I love you’s” and gave each other kisses on the cheeks, lips, and fingers...

Those horrible yet wonderful dreams that she loved and hated simultaneously haunted her.

Yeri hoped she didn’t pick up Wendy’s habit of sleep talking because if she actually said the things she said to the Seulgi in her dreams out loud, she’d die of embarrassment forever. And if she somehow survived from that, she’d never be able to look Seulgi in the eye again.

It took a while, but Yeri eventually did come to terms with herself and admitted that she had more than platonic feelings for her fellow group mate. But she knew her chances of getting with Seulgi were slim to none. She may have been smitten with the bear, but she wasn’t delusional. Seulgi probably thought of Yeri as a little sister; nothing more, nothing less.

Then there was the fact that there were others who were also interested in Seulgi. It was a fact that didn’t surprise Yeri at all. Who wouldn’t have a crush on Seulgi? She was Kang Seulgi. The same Kang Seulgi that could instantly transform from being the most goofy, lovable and awkward bear to the y, confident, badass dancer that made fangirls around the world drool.

But it still annoyed the young blonde that there were others that looked at Seulgi the same way she did. Competing with hordes of people for Seulgi’s affection was a challenge in itself. Being sisterzoned didn’t help either.

The struggle was definitely real.

A sigh passed through Yeri’s lips as she swung her legs off her bed and got up to retrieve her phone from its earlier journey through the air. Thankfully the screen protector and the case she bought for it was high grade and sturdy enough to protect it from getting any real damage. Paying for another phone was not something she wanted to do anytime soon, especially since she just bought her current one.

As she bent down to pick up the phone, she felt it vibrate in her grip, looked down at the screen and was greeted with the sight of another message from Saeron.

[Saeron: Do it! You’ll thank me later <3]

Yeri huffed angrily. Thank Saeron for what? For causing Yeri more misery in her life than what was already present? It was bad enough that the younger actress knew about her secret at all.

If Yeri had the ability, she would go back in time and stop herself from spilling out her secrets; at least the one concerning her feelings for Seulgi. The time she accidentally called her teacher “Mom” in the second grade along with all the other secrets she revealed that night paled in comparison to that secret.

Yeri dismissed the notification with a swipe and decided that she was going to ignore the other girl for the rest of the day. Or week. Or month. Or year. She would make up her mind later.

Her plan on going on a Netflix binge with Saeron went down the drain, but that was fine. There was something else she could do to help her pass the time and be entertained at the same time.

Living in the same space as the object of her affections was mentally exhausting for the poor girl. She had to always be careful with what she did or said around Seulgi. And that included indulging in her secret hobby.

What was her secret hobby? It wasn’t coming up with ways to take over SM Entertainment as the new CEO as some Reveluvs believed for some reason (although she did admit that the idea was entertaining) nor was Yeri busy thinking of more ways of spoiling their next comeback…at least not yet.

It was something else; something she considered to be highly important and dear to her heart.

Yeri loved looking at art. No, it wasn’t the same type of “art” that Wendy loved to watch on her phone, yet continued to deny time and time again despite all the evidence that said otherwise. The type of art Yeri appreciated was different and much more beautiful, in her opinion at least.

She loved looking at pictures of Seulgi. There was a whole album on her phone specifically dedicated to photos taken of the bear. Most of the pictures came from Seulgi’s fansites, but there were also pictures that were personally taken by Yeri mixed in there as well. A lot of the pictures she took herself weren’t uploaded or shared on social media. Those pictures were for Yeri and Yeri alone. She would never admit it to anyone, but they were her most precious treasures.

Yeri kept her secret hobby under wraps. Nobody (not even Saeron) knew about it and she intended to keep it that way. She didn’t need any more stress in her life; being an idol was stressful enough.

Thanks to technology, she was able to ensure that her phone would only be opened when she pressed her right index finger against the home button and it read her fingerprint. There was no way anyone else would be able to unlock her phone and snoop around unless they happened to be part of the FBI or some other government agency.

There was nothing for her to do at the moment since Saeron was busy being a jerk and doing whatever actresses do, so Yeri figured that she might as well spend time admiring Seulgi’s beauty from the comfort and safety from her room. It wasn’t often that she had the room to herself since she shared it with Joy. Why not take advantage of it?

Yeri walked back to her bed and allowed herself to fall backwards, her mattress cushioning her fall. She was lying on her back, legs dangling off the edge of her bed and hair falling in all directions, but she didn't care. She was comfortable. As long as she didn't drop her phone on her face, she was content.

She held her phone a few inches above her face with one hand and used the other to tap on the "Photos" icon that looked liked a rainbow colored flower on her home screen. She quickly scrolled past albums containing pictures of memes, food, and screenshots before stopping at one very specific album that didn’t have a title except for one little red heart emoji.

Yeri felt the sides of twitch upwards as she tapped on the album and scrolled through it, looking at a list of all the pictures she had accumulated over the years. She couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride at her accomplishment. She had built quite the collection over time and spent a lot of time downloading all the high quality pictures of Seulgi she could find on Twitter and other websites. There were thousands of pictures of Seulgi from throughout the eras on her phone alone; her had laptop more. Hooray for technology.

She had to give props to all the fansites in the world for putting in so much effort into their work. They travel all over the world, going to fansigns, concerts, and other events just so they can take breathtaking pictures of their favorite idols and share their beauty with the world. If it wasn’t for their hard work and dedication, her eyes would have never been blessed by so many works of art. If there was some parallel universe where Yeri never debuted as a member of Red Velvet, and was rich, she probably would’ve been a fansite master herself.

The maknae spent a few moments admiring the awe inspiring beauty of her special unnie, thankful that she had the privilege of being able to do so. What did she do in her past life to have been blessed with being in the same group---no---same time period as Seulgi? Defeat the fire nation? Whatever she did, it must have been very epic.

Little did Yeri know that her moments of bliss were going to be cut short by a couple of knocks on her doorframe.

"Yeri?"

Upon hearing that voice, Yeri immediately snapped out of her trancelike state and was brought back to reality. She recognized that voice. Honestly, she'd be able to recognize that voice anywh

Please log in to read the full chapter