let's go eat lunch.

Artist

 

     Hongbin's voice, Taekwoon thinks, is different, he was spacing out during his vocal class earlier today but from what he heard from his other classmates' singing-- Hongbin has a voice that you can immediately recognise. That, or maybe because he just like said guy as a person more so he remembers his voice easily.

He stares at the ceiling, not reacting or moving from his spot when Jaehwan entered the room back from the dining area. The younger didn't speak much either, only humming in acknowledgement to Taekwoon before going straight to the bathroom.

Taekwoon raised his hands against the light, staring at his fingers. A small tinge of excitement bubbling inside him. He had finally played the piano after a long time, and he's determined to continue playing again.

 

 


 

It was two days after, the class with Eguchi went smoothly the day after the Taekwoon episode, for two days after classes, Hongbin would come back to his homeroom to grab a spare chair and sit beside Taekwoon in front of the piano. The pair would remain in place for two or three hours, trying to play the same piece since the first day of classes. It may not be obvious, but Taekwoon started to like Hongbin's presence beside him, and he started to get over his anxiety of playing.

"What's this part again...?" Asked Taekwoon when they reached a new part of the song after running through the first and second verse repeatedly. Hongbin looked up from his part of the piano and towards the part of the music sheet that the older had pointed to, he hummed the part and then placed his fingers on the keys the same time as Taekwoon remembered after.

Hongbin started, slowly pressing each key as he had advised Taekwoon the second time they met up like this, mouthing the lyrics as he does so. Then, he sees Taekwoon's fingers moving in time with him on the part of the middle c. Playing with him in a lower pitch, he sees a small contented smile on the older's lips when he stole a glance. And Hongbin decided that he probably likes that look on the older the most.

After their piano session, Hongbin twitched when the older unexpectedly called out to him."Hey uh, Hongbin san..." He starts after closing the lid of the piano. "Yes?" He hummed, slinging his bag over his shoulder. He waited for a few seconds for Taekwoon to answer, turning around to look at him.

"I was wondering if..." Taekwoon cut himself off mid sentence. Shaking his head. "Nothing. It's nothing. Thank you for today."

Hongbin thought there was something else, but he nodded for now. "It's nothing. I'll see you tomorrow then."

Taekwoon nods as the younger waved good bye at him with a smile before heading towards the canteen. The older didn't go there, however, and went to the dorms, already tired out.

 

 

 

Hongbin entered the canteen, already spotting his friends. He went and dumped his bag on his usual place beside Wonshik and left to grab food.

"Hey Hongbin," Jaehwan called out, a piece of lettuce flying away from his mouth and landing on Wonshik's hand. Who shrieked and flung it back to the second oldest's cheek.

Hongbin looks up, chewing on his rice. The two sitting across him internally cooed at the action they found adorable before Jaehwan continued his question, this time without any piece of food flying out from his mouth.

"We're gonna go and watch movies in Wonshik's room tomorrow after classes, you should come with us."

Hongbin nods, smiling at the cheering men.

 

 

 


 

 

The next day, Taekwoon was in their homeroom right after the bell rung, Eguchi closed the door behind him as he left. Smiling at Taekwoon's determination.

Said male started to play the same piece from the start, feeling refreshed the further he got.

A hour and a half after, his phone beeped, signaling a sms from his roommate. Jaehwan had suggested they get each other's phone numbers two nights prior, and although Taekwoon was a bit reluctant, he didn't want to be hopeless in case he forgot his keys inside.

"Taekwoon hyungI'm currently at a friend's room. I'll be back late tonight so go ahead and lock the door if you're going to sleep early, I have key. (ノ・..ヾ)"

If Jaehwan wasn't such an obnoxious kid, Taekwoon would have chuckled at his missing "my" at the last sentence.

Now that he's on his phone, he looked at the time and realised that Hongbin still hasn't showed up.

'Maybe he's late...' Taekwoon thought, posing to resume playing. Less enthusiastic this time, however, like a lost puppy.

It was already eight in the evening, he had finished around fifteen minutes ago, but he lingered in case Hongbin would still come.

He didn't.

 

 


 

 

Fifth day, everyone in A class is currently seated in their homeroom, Eguchi smiling at the front of the board.

"Taekwoon san." He calls out.

Other students looked back, staring at the male. Eguchi didn't need to wait for the male to look since he knows he is listening. "Would you kindly play a song for us?" He finishes softly.

From his seat, Hongbin rubbed his eyes before following Taekwoon to the stool with his eyes, a small smile on his face. He met eyes with him as he was adjusting the distance of his seat, Hongbin took this as a chance to mouth 'Fighting!', raising his fist in the same manner.

Taekwoon nods. Looking at the sheet in front of him.

'You can do this Taekwoon!'

 

 

 

Jaehwan looks up from his notebook, pausing in the middle of his drawing as he looks around their classroom.

"Hakyeon hyung." He calls out, Hakyeon looking up the book he was reading to look at him.

Jaehwan looks around once more, this time, he's sure that someone has been missing since lunch. "Wonshik still hasn't come back from the canteen."

Hakyeon raises his eyebrows and repeated Jaehwan's action, looking around the room, he's right. It's almost been twenty minutes since the youngest had broken off from them, saying that he's going to talk from someone in class B.

"He's going to be late to dance class again." Hakyeon points out, the younger had been either coming late to that particular class, or worse, not come at all. Which, they are sure, will be a problem for the youngest.

Jaehwan nods, biting his lower lip lightly. "Yeah. And I don't think Yanagawa seonsaengnim will be letting him off the hook this time. It's not even that far into the year and he's already making himself fail this class." He muttered, this time Hakyeon didn't comment on him using Korean and just nodded because what he said is correct-- the kid will fail.

"Let's just hope he shows up later." Murmurs Hakyeon, feeling anxious for Wonshik.

 

 

 

"Great job Taekwoon san!" Hongbin cheers while the other students shuffle outside the classroom for a quick break as soon as Eguchi had dismissed them. Taekwoon ducked his head slightly, smiling timidly and thanking Hongbin.

"You staying with me while I practised really helped out a lot." He heard Taekwoon say while fiddling with his fingers. Hongbin suddenly remembered last night, Taekwoon had completely slipped off his mind, he reminded himself beforehand that he'll leave after a movie or even just a half of it so that he can go to homeroom. As soon as he and Hakyeon left to buy more snacks though, he got carried away and ended up leaving at eleven in the evening.

"Oh yeah, about last night..." He started, not missing the way the older slightly perked up at the mention of the event. "I'm sorry for not making it. I got caught up with something..." Taekwoon shook his head lightly, dismissing the apology with an 'it's no big deal. Really.'

Hongbin pried Taekwoon's hands off of each other, afraid that he'll pull a skin at one point. "I'll make it up to you sometime. I promise."

"Are you free at lunch tomorrow?" Hongbin thinks for a while, trying to remember if he has any prior engagements. "I guess so... Why?"

Taekwoon just nods, looking at him through his hair before he sat down when their foreign language teacher entered.

 

 


 

 

It was finally Saturday, the students either went out to de-stress, or stayed behind at the dorms to catch up on homework and tasks they had crammed.

One of them is Wonshik.

He got chewed out by Hakyeon yesterday when he came to acting class, which was five minutes after their dance class, because not only was he skipping or coming late to that class, he had also been neglecting most of the requirements of other classes.

The older said that he would have understood it if it were a bad day or two, but a week is too much. He had scolded the youngest until they have reached Wonshik's dorm room. Hakyeon may have nagged, but he still handed Wonshik notes and detailed explanations of each lesson in case he didn't understand something.

It's not like Wonshik is lazy, no, he used to be far from that. He used to be the top student of his previous school, never slacking off to prove that he didn't get in just because of his family name. However, it wasn't the case this time. Something had been stressing him out these days, and it had gotten to the point where he would become so distracted that he will skip class to clear his mind.

Also, Hakyeon had told him that there will be individual performances in their dance class. The students are given the liberty to perform whatever day they want starting timorrow, and two weeks after that is the final day of performance.

"What day are you planning to perform?" He had asked the older, he was a tiny bit interested this time.

Hakyeon shrugged his shoulders first. "I still haven't perfected my dance. So maybe next week?"

Wonshik nods, he'll go to class if it's Hakyeon or Jaehwan's turn to perform. "I think even if you prepare for only two days you'll still get a perfect score. The school doesn't just scout people without potential." He comments, making Hakyeon laugh and shake his head.

"Thanks, but I'd still like to make it clean. Who knows, maybe I was just lucky when I got scouted." The elder replied, he saw Wonshik look away and so he changed the topic. "How about you, Wonshik san? What day are you planning to perform?"

The blond kicked invisible dirt with his shoe, playing with the doorknob at the same time. He didn't answer Hakyeon, but the older male knows he had heard him.

"You have to do it you know." He sighs, voice calm and having the same effecton Wonshik.  "Yanagawa sensei has a bad impression of you now."

Wonshik groaned softly, running a hand through his hair. "I know hyung... I just really..."

He couldn't finish his sentence, but it's okay. Hakyeon understands. He reaches his hand out and pats Wonshik on the shoulder. "It's alright. If ever you need help or just someone to talk to, don't hesitate to approach me or Jaehwan, okay?"

He waited until Wonshik looked up from his shoes and smiled faintly before pulling away and going to his room. Leaving the younger to think alone.

 

 

 

Hongbin looks up from his textbook when he heard a knock on their door, since Hakyeon was still showering, he reluctantly got up and answered it.

"Hongbin hyuuuung!" Sanghyuk greets, twirling a key around his fingers. "Can you come with me? I'm going to the supermarket but Wonshik hyung is too busy studying to come with me, OH! And he also asked me to buy a stash of his favourite juice and that thing is heavy so--"

Hongbin cuts him off by putting a hand to Sanghyuk's lips, the younger grimaced and pulled it away. "Gross. Your hand is salty."

Hongbin raised an eyebrow and went back into the room to grab his wallet. Calling out to Hakyeon that he'll be out.

"Why are you bringing your wallet too?" Hyuk questioned while they were walking out.

Hongbin rolled his eyes. "Hakyeon hyung ran out of banana milk. Also let's go eat lunch. My treat."

Sanghyuk cheered, slinging an arm around Hongbin's shoulders and saying that he's his current favorite hyung.

 

 

 

"Taekwoon hyung. I'm going to the library for a bit!" Jaehwan calls out, the mentioned man only nodding in reply as he flipped through his planner.

Should I ask Hongbin now? He thought, lightly biting the cap of his pen. asked him yesterday, he said he's free today... maybe I should.

He stood up from his table, checking that Jaehwan didn't leave the copy of his key behind, he shut the blinds and left, locking the door behind him.

After around five minutes of walking from their dorm building to the next one, Taekwoon finally made it to building b's third floor. "Ah it's so hot." He mutters, wiping his neck with his handkerchief. He looked around and soon found Hongbin's name on the plates beside the door.

"Hongbin ah." He calls out, knocking on the door. He heard shuffling from the other side so he waited patiently, toeing a piece of wood sticking out from the wall. There were footsteps from the other side of the door, and then it opened.

"Can I help you with something?" A different person asked, drying his hair using a towel.

"Ah yes. Are you Hongbin's room mate?" He continues when the man nods. "Is he there?"

Taekwoon watched with what he hoped was a neutral expression on his face as the stranger frowned, well, he thinks. There goes the chance.

"I'm sorry. He went out earlier." He answers, a hand propped against the door frame. "I think he went out with Hyuk about half an hour ago."

'Hyuk?' Taekwoon vaguely remembered a purple haired boy in his class. Maybe it's the same guy. "Oh. Okay. S-Sorry for bothering you..."

The guy nodded before standing straight, calling out to Taekwoon before he can turn back. "You seem familiar, I think I've seen you somewhere. I'm Cha Hakyeon, class S."

 

Hakyeon extends his hand out to Taekwoon, and he didn't miss the way he visibly froze. Weird...

"A--... Ah. I'm Jung Taekwoon. I have to go. Sorry for bothering you." Hakyeon watched with confused eyes, hand lowering slowly beside him.

"Jung Taekwoon?"

 

 

 

  

Back in his room, Taekwoon sighed in relief when he found out Jaehwan hasn't returned yet. He toed his shoes off and dropped face first on the bed. He stayed quiet for a few minutes, eyes closed as he started to think. He doesn't know what to think about first. Hongbin, the first guy who he thinks he's grown closer to in this place. Or Hakyeon, who he had recognized the second he introduced himself.

 

Taekwoon groaned in frustration.