001

Sea Foam

Jimin stood near the sea eyes glistening as he stared out at the blue he once had called home. He missed it, and he knew the sea missed him as each wave that crashed against the shore pulled at him to try to drag him back.

"I cannot go back to you yet," Jimin whispered sadly "but one day I will return." Jimin smiled, a smile filled with sadness and knowing. The cry of the ocean seemed louder that night as if it knew exactly what Jimin meant by his return. Jimin turned away from the oceans sorrowful cry, unable to handle the pain it brought to him.

With each step that Jimin took it felt as if knives and daggers were piercing his skin, ripping at the flesh. It had been part of the price Jimin had to pay to become human, if only for a mere six days, to see the prince he had fallen in love with. The prince was a tall handsome man, with dark hair and powerful eyes that Jimin had fallen madly in love with when he had saved the prince from drowning after he had been thrown from his ship in a terrible storm. Jimin had wanted to be with the prince after that and had gone to seek out the dreaded sea witch for help.

The price he had to pay to have a human soul and body was terrible, he was unable to say who he really was, he couldn't even tell the prince he had saved him, for his voice would stop working and cut out when he tried and he faced unexplainable pain, but Jimin had smiled "if only to be human and be with the man I love I will do anything, I will take anything.".

The sea witch had smiled in return, an ugly but knowing smile "unwise my child. Your choice will only bring you pain and sadness. But if it is what you want, then so shall it be. You have six days my boy, six days to get the prince to fall in love with you without speaking of who you really are. And on the morning of the seventh day if you fail to complete this task then you will turn into foam and cease to exist. Do you still want it boy, is one man worth all this?" The sea witch had asked, seemingly almost merciful in giving Jimin a way out.

"For he whom I love more than everything, I would dare do anything." Was Jimin’s response. And with that the deal had been done. Jimin had been granted six days as a human, six days to get the prince to fall in love with him so he could live happily as a human; six days that if he failed he would die.

Jimin walked on, his mind filled with these thoughts. He was on his sixth day to convince the prince, his last day, but he knew it was futile. The prince had fallen in love with a beautiful princess with whom he was now engaged. And as much as it made Jimin happy to see the man he loved so joyously happy, he felt pain in his heart knowing he would never be the one to bring such joy to prince.

"Jimin!" Jimin turned at the call of his name to find none other than the prince coming towards him.

"Hello my prince." Jimin greeted, bowing as the prince stopped beside him.

"Jimin how many times must I tell you to call me Jungkook? You are my friend there is no need for formalities anymore." Jungkook smiled, placing his hand on Jimin’s shoulder. Jimin felt his whole body heat up from the contact, and a blush form on his cheeks.

"Yes my pri... I mean Jungkook." Jimin spoke, causing Jungkook to smile even wider at the use of his own namme, and Jimin smiled in return.

"So Jimin you are coming tonight right? To toast my marriage on the royal ship would be a lovely thing for the princess. She says she loves the sea. I still cannot believe I will be marrying the dark haired beauty that saved me that night, and it’s all thanks to you. Had you not entered my life I would have never met the beautiful princess." Jungkook sighed, and Jimin just smiled sadly, forgoing a reply as he knew his heart would not be able to take it.

The moment Jungkook had laid eyes on the beauty the princess that one fateful evening he had been entranced, he was so sure it had been her who had saved him the night he almost drowned. 'But it was me!' Jimin wanted to scream, but every time he tried his throat would close up and he would begin to cough madly, causing people to worry for his health.

"Jungkook there is something I must tell you." Jimin tried but Jungkook held up his hand to stop him.

"I know we haven't known each other for long Jimin, but for some reason I feel connected to you. We've become friends and I really want you there tonight siting on my left hand side and the princess on my right. I want you to be my best man Jimin at my wedding. It would make me so happy if you would." Jungkook told him, smiling sincerely.

Jimin felt his heart wrench at the princes words. With a nod and a small smile Jimin agreed to be there for Jungkook. He could never deny the man he loved his happiness, no matter how much it hurt him. And even though Jimin knew he wouldn't make it till the wedding he still assented to being Jungkook’s best man.

"Thank you Jimin. You are a good friend." Jungkook praised, giving Jimin’s shoulder a light squeeze before moving and disappearing down the hall. 'Please don't marry her,' Jimin thought as he watched Jungkook walk away 'please my prince, she is not the one whom you believe her to be. Please do not do this, please...'. A stray tear slipped down Jimin’s cheek as he watched his love, his hope, and his life walk away from him.

It was a chilly but clear evening for the party the prince held, and everyone there was in high spirits. All except Jimin. Currently he was standing in the room he would be occupying for the night on the ship before the wedding. An object in his hand had all his attention as he looked over the blood red dagger. His brothers, Jin and Taehyung, had come to him the night before bearing the dagger and begging him to take it.

"We got it from the sea witch. She told us that if you were to stab the prince through the heart an let his blood run down your legs you could return to us a merman. You will not die." Jin had explained frantically as he had passed Jimin the dagger.

"What price did you must have to pay to get this?" Jimin had asked worriedly, he knew first hand that when bartering with the sea witch you always had to give something in return.

"We gave her our necklaces." Taehyung had piped in and Jimin gasped.

Those necklaces Taehyung spoke of had been important to the two mermen; it was the last gift their mother had ever given all of them before she had died.

"Thank you my brothers, for this, for your sacrifice in giving up a most prized possession for me.. but I don't think I can use it." Jimin explained sadly as he the necklace that lay just under the collar of his shirt.

"Please brother," Jin pleaded "please come back to us. You do not have to die for some human. Please Jimin." Jin had cried and Jimin felt his heart pull at his brother’s tears. Reaching his hands out Jimin took the extended hands of his beloved brothers.

"I love you dearly my brothers, but until you understand what it is like to love someone with all your being the way I do my prince then I know you will not understand my choices." Jimin had explained with a sad smile.

"I love you both very much, you have each other now. Take comfort from one another. You both have always been so powerful together, keep comfort in each other's presence. And please do not forget me." Jimin bid farewell, but not before slipping off his own necklace and placing it in Jin's hands.

"Goodbye my beautiful brothers. I truly love you both so much. Please forgive me for the choices I have made." And with that both Jin and Taehyung had slipped tearfully back into the sea.

Jimin slipped the dagger back into his cupboard. He knew his brothers meant well when they had brought him the dagger with a way out, but he also knew they didn't understand what the love he was feeling for the prince really was. 'They have each other, they will be alright." Jimin thought to himself in some form of comfort for his brothers. A knock on his door startled Jimin out of his thoughts.

"Jimin," Came Jungkook’s voice "is everything alright?" The prince asked.

"It is, everything is alright my prince." Jimin called back. "Jimin may I come in?" Asked the prince, and when Jimin gave his consent did Jungkook enter.

"Jimin please call me Jungkook." Jungkook asked of him and Jimin smiled. "I am sorry Jungkook, I know it bothers you. But you are my prince and I feel that I should address you as so." Jimin replied, causing Jungkook to frown.

"We're friends Jimin it's alright if you drop the formalities, it would be nice to have someone just call me by my name instead of being referred to as the prince all the time." Jungkook commented.

"Well then for you I will do so, Jungkook." At this Jungkook smiled.

"Thank you Jimin." Jungkook said as he pulled Jimin into a hug.

Jimin tensed at the contact before calming and allowing himself to be overwhelmed by Jungkook, if only for a little while.
"I don't know what it is about you but you give me this calming feeling. I feel as if I've known you for a long time, that we are connected somehow." Jungkook confessed, and Jimin could only offer a sad smile in return. Pulling back the prince looked a little flustered, one hand rubbing at the nape of his neck.

"I really do mean it Jimin, you've become so important to me." Jungkook continued.

"And you too I, Jungkook." Jimin told him, bringing a smile to the prince's lips.

"Tonight is my last night as an unmarried man and I think you and I should go out and enjoy my party." Jungkook said.

"Yes we should go out and enjoy it." Jimin offered up and the prince laughed a beautiful sound that Jimin took in, retaining it to his memory to cherish for as long as he remained alive.

"Yes, let us go and enjoy. Let us go and dance." Jungkook exclaimed, throwing an arm around Jimin and guiding him out of the room. Jimin allowed himself the pleasure of warmth and the indulgence of having the Jungkook's touch. And for a moment he could imagine himself walking down the aisle for the prince, for his beloved Jungkook. He imagined it was him that Jungkook had fallen so vastly in love with. He allowed himself these thoughts one last time. And that night Jimin laughed and danced with the love for the prince in his heart, and the thought of death in his mind.

The first rays of the rising sun broke through over the horizon, and Jimin watched as the beautiful sight unfolded. He smiled as the early suns light came down, it always reminded him of Jungkook; strong, beautiful, powerful, delicate and pure. It was almost overwhelming to Jimin how closely related the golden sun and the golden prince were. Jimin clutched at the dagger the he was holding in his hands a little tighter as he thought of his beautiful prince.
The sea witches words ran through his mind

"...on the morning of the seventh day if you fail to complete this task then you will cease to exist. Do you still want it boy, is one man worth all this?" It was as if she was right there with him and saying it.

"Yes he is." Jimin whispered, the wind taking and carrying his words.

"Jimin?" A voice that was all too familiar to Jimin called out. Jimin spun around to see Jungkook standing on the deck looking at him through tired eyes.

"Jungkook why are you awake?" Jimin questioned, he was startled that Jungkook was up at this hour.

"I couldn't sleep so I decided to come up for some air. Why are you awake?" Jungkook questioned as he stepped closer to Jimin. Jimin took a step back as Jungkook approached, bringing himself closer to the edge of the boat.

"What are you doing Jimin?" Jungkook questioned before his eyes fell upon the blood red dagger clutched in Jimin's small hands.

"Jimin..." Jungkook started only to be cut off.

"My prince, Jungkook, there is something I must tell you. For the time I have known you, I have loved you. Since I met you I had fallen for you. But my time.. My time with you is up and there is nothing I can do because you don't love me back." Jimin smiled sadly as Jungkook reached out a hand towards him and stepped closer to Jimin.

"What are you saying Jimin? Of course I love you, you are my friend. And what time is up? I do not understand. And why do you have a dagger? What is going on Jimin?" Jungkook questioned, fear and worry lacing the prince’s voice.

"This dagger Jungkook, this dagger was meant to save my life. It is meant to be used on you, to be stabbed through your heart in order to save mine. But I cannot use it because I cannot lose something that means more to me than my own life. And you say you love me but it is not in the way I have loved you since the night we met. You are beautiful and strong Jungkook, and I know you will be very happy with the princess. I know she makes you happy even.. Even though you believe her to be the one who saved you." Jimin's voice cracked as he spoke, all his raw emotion coming to surface.

"Jimin please, I do not understand. What do you mean used on me? What is going on? Jimin please explain to me? Is someone forcing you to do this? I can help you, just tell me." Jungkook desperately pleaded, unable to understand what was going on and what Jimin was speaking of.

"No, I am not being forced to do anything. Everything that has happened to me has been of my own choice. It is better for you not to understand Jungkook. Please know that I do love you, have always loved you, and will always love you." With that said Jimin leaned forward and pressed his lips to the prince's, a sweet but chaste kiss.

Pulling away Jimin smiled at the bittersweet moment, because for one moment he had been able to have Jungkook as his own, but it was a fleeting moment and the last moment he could have with his prince.

"My heart belongs to you, but my body to the foam and my soul to the ocean." Jimin spoke, giving Jungkook's hand a squeeze before backing up to the edge of the boat. "My time has come Jungkook. I hope you live your life happily with the princess. I hope your life is beautiful like you. I hope.. I hope you will not forget me. Goodbye my prince, Jungkook, my love. Please live happily." Jimin bid, a sad smile gracing his lips as he let go of Jungkook's hand and took step up onto the ledge.

Jungkook stood frozen as he watched Jimin step up to the ledge and stand on the edge. He watched as the beautiful male smiled one last beautiful smile, the rising sun’s rays shining off of Jimin setting his dark hair a glow. Realization hit the prince as he watched the beautiful male before him take the blood red dagger and it into his own chest. Jungkook stared in horror as red seeped over Jimin’s white night shirt, looking up at Jimin who was only smiling back at him.

“Do not worry Jungkook, this pain is nothing compared to what I have been through. But do know I love you so dearly. Goodbye Jungkook.” Jimin spoke one last time before his body fell over the edge and back into the depths of the ocean.

"Jimin!" Jungkook screamed as he raced to the edge, eyes searching the depths of blue for Jimin.

"Jimin..." Jungkook whispered, falling forward against the side of the rail as he stared at the crystal blue water. "y-you were my dark haired beauty. Y-you were the one who rescued me. Y-you were the-the one I.. loved..." Jungkook trailed off as everything dawned on him, it all made sense now.

Jungkook remembered, his thoughts flashing to the night he had been tossed from the boat due to the storm. It was fuzzy his memories but it came clear as he'd seen someone so beautiful before passing out and woke up to the same person on a beach, but in his haze he had thought it a girl. The princess he was to marry had met the description of his beautiful saviour and he fell for her when they were introduced because of a hunch. But now a picture of a smiling and glowing Jimin stayed burned in his mind he knew he'd made a mistake.

"M-my eyes had strayed from you Jimin, I was caught up in a fantasy that I didn't see it was you..." Jungkook whispered, silent tears slipped down his cheeks marring his skin with wet trails.

"I love you Jimin. You are the one I truly love. I am so sorry I did not see this till now. My heart aches and yearns for my true love, but I have let you go. I watched you slip away and I did nothing to save you. Oh the pain you must have endured for this. I am so undeserving of your love, but yet you gave it to me unconditionally. The ocean has reclaimed you, you now belong where you will be truly free. I am so sorry my love. I hope one day you may forgive me." Jungkook whispered sadly to the ocean, watching as a sea foam formed and floated and danced a top the ocean.