Preview - Day 1

Exo Master Key: Angel or Demon

Aah since I already got a lot of positive comments I decided to give you guys a preview of the first chapter.  (It's not beta'd, sorry for mistakes)


10:03pm - Living Room

There was a tense atmosphere in the room where the eight men were seated on the large, white corner couch. Looking at each other, without any sound being made. Some of them looked scared, other looked confident or even cocky, but all heads turned towards the hallway when another young men stepped in.

The newcomer sat made a quick bow towards everyone before sitting down all the way on the corner of the couch. None of the others reacted to the greeting and just kept staring at him or at one of the others, all kinds of thoughts going through their heads.

“That new one seems like the youngest, he might not even be 20 yet.”

“I already don’t like that guy with the eyeliner, seems like a sneaky .”

“Isn’t that Park Chanyeol? I think I saw a movie with him as the lead last month.”

“That one next to me seems like someone I can trust, I’ll have to approach him as soon as possible.”

Suddenly the television screen in front of them and everyone focussed on the text that was displayed on it.

“Pick up the card on the table.”

That’s all it said, all of them looked straight at the black card lying in front of them, some of them immediately leaning forward to grab it, but the one with the heavy eyeliner was too fast for the others and grasped it of the table.

He carefully held it close to his face and started reading, without letting the others have any sight of what was written on it.

“Ya! Read it out loud!” the blonde guy next to him yelled.

He kept reading it for himself for a few more seconds until he took a deep breath. “Now that you have all arrived, the game has officially started. But before we begin, you will all need a key to play the game. These keys are spread out around the house. If you find one, come back to the living room and wait for everyone to return. More instruction will follow as soon as everyone has a key.”

A few looks were shared between all of them before half of them quickly stood up from the couch and started running in all directions while the other half took their time to leave the living room and look around.

 

10:07pm - Upstairs hallway

Two of the guys immediately went upstairs to search for keys. They spotted five bedrooms and one bathroom and they both started with searching the bedrooms one by one.

“Got one!” one of them yelled towards the bedroom across from him where the other guy was still searching, but not for long.

“Got mine too.” he got up from his knees after grabbing the key from under the bed and they both reunited on the hallway.

“My name is Jongdae by the way.”

“Suho, nice to meet you.”

They shook hands and looked over to the stairs when they heard someone come up to them. It was the boy that entered the house last.

“Are there any more up here?” he asked shyly.

“We've had all the bedrooms I think, but there might be one left in the bathroom over there.” Suho said pointing at the only room they hadn't checked yet.

“Thank you sir.” the boy bowed before taking off toward the bathroom.

“Well, let's go downstairs since we have ours.” Jongdae said as he took a few steps down the stairs.

“You go on ahead. I'll see if this kid finds a key.” Suho turned away from Jongdae and went over to the bathroom, where the boy was desperately searching for a key. Suho was scanning around the room himself too, attempting to help the boy out.

“Have you looked on top of the cabinets?”

The boy made a small jump “Ooh you surprised me, I didn't hear you coming here.” but he listened to Suho and let his hand slide on top of the cabinets, letting out a small gasp when he touched he'd something cold.

“I got it!” he happily turned towards the elder with a key on his hand. “Thank you for helping me.”

“No problem kid.” Suho said smiling.

“I'm Sehun by the way.”

 

10:14pm - Kitchen

“You can probably stop searching here.” one of the men said holding up his golden key in front of the other “Just got mine on the other side of the room.”

The other person ignored him and just kept searching.

“Hey, let’s not start off this way we have to live together for a week. My name is Kai, nice to meet you.” Kai held out his hand in front of the smaller.

“Kyungsoo…” he quickly shook Kai’s hand and continued searching.

“Kyungsoo, I already had this side of the room before you arrived here, but I believe no one has been in the dining room yet.”

Kyungsoo stopped his searching and just looked at his hands for a few seconds before turning around and leaving the kitchen, without looking at the other.

“This is gonna be interesting.” Kai silently said to himself as he followed Kyungsoo to the dining room.

 

10:36pm - Living Room

“Who are we missing?” Suho said, looking around him and only seeing 6 people back on the couch, all having a golden key dangling from the black cord around their neck.

“The small one with the glasses, the guy who looks like a playboy and the other small one.” a tall guy with bright red hair said.

“Ya! You have something against small people?” Jongdae yelled.

The red haired guy wanted to answer but instead the one with the heavy eyeliner who was sitting next to him opened his mouth. “He probably doesn’t. Park is just an arrogant person overall.”

“You know each other?” Jongdae asked.

“I’m surprised you don’t know who he is.” Suho said “You probably don’t watch a lot of movies if you don't recognise him, or read any magazines.”

Jongdae squinted his eyes while looking at the red haired man and kept mumbling the name ‘Park’ to himself. “Wait… Park Chanyeol?”

“The one and only.” Chanyeol smiled.

“Damn the other guy is right, you already sound arrogant.” Jongdae said with a smirk. “I’m always right. And I have a name by the way, it’s Baekhyun.”

“Anyways.” a men with a slight accent interrupted “Should we go help them look?”

“No need for that.” they all turned toward the kitchen door where Kai came marching through followed by Kyungsoo and the other guy that was missing.

“He not only looks like a playboy, seems like he really is one.” Baekhyun laughed.

“I'm just being a good boy okay. They needed some help so that's what I did.”

“I don't wanna know what kind of help.” Chanyeol said and started laughing along with Baekhyun.

“Well when you're done laughed your own bad jokes.” Kai said while sitting down next to them “let's figure out what to do now.”

“No need for that.” Suho said “look.” and he pointed at the television.

When everyone had finally noticed the instructions on the screen had changed, Chanyeol and Baekhyun simultaneously started reading it out loud and looked at each other.

“Can you please shut up Park and let me read?” Baekhyun said with a sassy voice.

“Who says they want you to read it?” Chanyeol snapped back at him.

“Well how do you know they want you to read it?”

“Guys..” Suho interrupted “Let's not start fighting the hour we got here. Baekhyun you grabbed the card earlier, let Chanyeol read it for us now.”

“But-” Baekhyun wanted to protect but Chanyeol already started reading and he decided to keep his mouth shut for now.

“Now that you all have your keys it's time to check if you are an ‘Angel’, ‘Demon’ or a ‘Watcher’. But first we will explain the game to you. One person has just found the ‘Angel Master Key’, one person has the ‘Demon Master Key’, the other 7 will have neutral keys and will be called ‘Watchers’. Only the people in possession of the angel and the demon key are able to open the grand prize box at the end of the game, the box that contains 250 million won of prize money.” Chanyeol stopped when he heard the rest of them gasped, but continued as soon as it became silent again “At the end of the week people will have to vote for the person they think that have the Angel key. If the angel gets the most votes, the price will be split equally between the angel and the people who have voted for him. However, if the demon succeeds in fooling people he’s the angel and receives the most votes, he gets the prize money multiplied by the amount of votes he got, all for himself. But don’t be disappointed if you’re a watcher, if a watcher is most voted that person also gets to keep all the money for himself, it just won’t be multiplied like it would for the demon. To-”

“Wah how will we find out who’s the angel? Of course everyone would say they are.” Sehun suddenly said but he immediately placed his hands in front of his mouth, realising that he maybe shouldn’t have interrupted.

“I’m still reading kid, listen before you speak.” Chanyeol said irritated. “As I was saying… To find out who is the angel there will be given out hints, that you can get by winning the games that will be played every day, starting from tomorrow. These hints can variate from checking a key of your choice, getting hints on who not has a key or even personal information about the possessor of a Master Key. How far will you go to hide your own secrets, and to find those of others? Good luck.”

It stayed silent when Chanyeol finished reading and everyone was just staring at the screen where the last words were still visible.

“So… what now?” Kai said.

“I guess we need to check our keys? But where would we do that?” Jongdae asked, looking around him if he could find a door he hadn’t checked before.

“I saw a room earlier.” the smaller guy who was with Kai and Kyungsoo earlier said, speaking for the first time this entire night “On the left side of the house, I checked it for a key. There is some sort of keyhole with a light around it and it’s connected to a screen. The chest was there too...”

“Well then let’s go.” Baekhyun said standing up but no one joined him.

“Uhm.. I don’t they want us to go in there all together.” Suho said.

Baekhyun turned around to face all the others “Well then at least let’s check out where it is.”

“Look behind you.” Suho said calmly and Baekhyun looked over his shoulders.

“Enter the treasure room to check your key” Baekhyun mumbled to himself. “one by one and in order of age with the eldest going first.” he looked around him and sat back down “Don’t think that’s me, anyone over 30 here?”

The small guy from before raised his hand “I-I am”

“Well that’s convenient, you already know where it is.” Baekhyun stood up again from excitement “Come on and hurry, I wanna know what I have.”

“Baekhyun calm down.” Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun’s sleeve to make him sit down again “I think this is a good moment to introduce ourselves right? Let’s all do that before we enter the room.”

“I agree.” Suho said immediately and the rest of the mall nodded their heads in agreement.

“Fine.” the small guy stood up firm the couch and stood in front of the television “My name is Kim Xiumin, 31 years old and I’m a dentist.”

“Xiumin?” the guy with the slight accent said “Are you Chinese?”

“My mother is, she wanted me to have a Chinese name. Anyways I’ve studied for six year and then immediately started my own practice right when I graduated and been doing that ever since.”

“I hate dentist.” Jongin said silently to Sehun who sat next to him but it was still loud enough to hear for Xiumin.

“Anyways that’s all I can really think of for now, guess I’ll go and check my key.”

 

10:42pm - Treasure Room

 He was slightly nervous when he entered through the big, metal door. He sat down in the couch that was placed in the middle of the room and he watched how the door slowly closed and he heard a small click, indicating that the door was locked now.

He carefully inspected the white neon lit room he was in. Behind the couch was the chest which he assumed was the one where the big price was held in. In front of him was a small pillar with a keyhole on top of it, surrounded by a ring of white LED light and a small screen just above it. That’s all there was in the room, but it was all he needed right now.

He carefully lifted the cord his head and placed the golden key in the keyhole in front of him.  All the lights went out but the small screen lit up and Xiumin read the instruction.

“If you are a watcher, the light will turn blue. If you are the Angel, the light will turn green. If you are the Demon, the light will turn red.”

He held his breath when he grabbed the top of the key, turning it a quarter to the right and watching the ring around it light up the room in one specific colour.


So yeah this is what it's gonna look like, at least this is how I picture the fic. Each chapter will be a day, seeing different perspectives, from different people, from different places in the house. I might change things a bit when the actual chapter gets posted but I kinda wanted to show you guys how this is gonna work and I already have a great idea of how to involve you guys into it. All I'm saying is that you will get to vote at the end of chapter 1 and the result will have influence on the story, like you guys will influence the game majorly :)

Thanks for all the love so far <3 I was doubting this fic a bit but you guys really made me excited write now and I couldn't help but giving a small spoiler. Do you already have a favorite contestant of the ones that are revealed right now? Let me know in the comments!