Wanna Hang Out

Wanna Hang Out?

November 2016

 

MAMA 2016 is fast approaching and honestly, I’m thrilled. We’re going to collaborate with one of the top girl groups – Gfriend. They’re a great group, vocal and choreography-wise. As for my dance partner, it could be anyone of them except Jung Eunbi, I guess.

 First things first, Jung Eunbi is great, I mean, we’re the same age and she’s cute, she’s good at singing… but I know my best friend likes her. Even if Jungkook doesn’t tell me, I noticed he likes her.

Her name always pops up in our conversation, in our group chats. He’s the first one to suggest her collaboration songs to me. It’s obvious to us, but he always denies it.

“Now, we will announce your dance partners. You will meet up at this date… and have your final rehearsal at Hongkong”

Jung Eunbi is pretty, that it’d be difficult not to like her. That’s why I’m hoping not to be partners with her.

“… Kim Mingyu-ssi, yours is Jung Eunbi-ssi…”

Crap.

“Yah, you better tell Jungkook that she’s your partner”, Seokmin whispers to me.

“Yeah, yeah”

“So insincere…” he laughed and continued, “…you might like her on the process; that would be difficult”.

I didn’t respond, I mean, I know that. What am I nervous for?

“That would be for today”, I didn’t even notice that the meeting ended already. I must be too preoccupied with my thoughts.

“Seokmin-ah, Yuju-ssi is my partner”

“Ahhh, poor Seokmin”

“Ooooh, Seungcheol-hyung is picking up a fight”

“It’s fine, Sowon-noona is my partner”

“Oooooh, shots fired!”

Looks like Seokmin and Seungcheol-hyung will be having a battle of endurance at MAMA, but as far as I’m concerned Jisoo-hyung also likes Sowon-noona. Well, whatever.

Travelling back to our dorm, I messaged Jungkook about the collaboration. It took him minutes before responding. As usual, he asks what does that concern him, but I know he’s somehow biting his fingers right now.

Meeting Gfriend

            The atmosphere inside this room is kinda tense. Everyone’s too conscious of their surroundings. It seems unlikely of us, especially the mood makers on our group, to be so silent and awkward.

            The choreographer hasn’t arrived yet. Ah, this is awkward.

            Everyone was staring at different spaces, just to avoid eye contact with each other, well except for me, I guess. I found my eyes landed on Jung Eunbi. Her petite figure made me realize factors that might be the reason why Jungkook likes her. She cut her hair shorter, it suits her actually.

            “What are you blushing for, hyung?”

            Vernon asked me in his deep yet kinda loud voice.

            “What blush are you talking about? This is because of the weather.”

“Yeah, right”, he was chuckling as he shifted his attention away from me.

Just then, the choreographer arrived, catching her breath and wiping her sweat beads simultaneously.

“Okay, please go to your dance partners. Greet them and we’ll proceed”

As Jung Eunbi approached me, I could feel my heart thumping like crazy. What on earth is happening to me?

“I’m Jung Eunbi”

So the rumors are right that she’s shy with strangers. She couldn’t handle a glance.

“I’m Kim Mingyu, we’re the same age, so if you’d like, we could be- ugh- talking informally… as friends”

Her eyes shifted from nothingness to me. She looks confused or scared, I don’t know. Guess that crept her out, huh?

“I’m sorry, that was too sudden, I guess”

I rubbed my nape and grinned awkwardly. Goodness.

“No, no, I’m sorry. I’m just awkward towards new people”

She was flustered over a little thing. Standing like a doll, she kept on tucking in strands of hair to the back of her ears.  

“I see, thanks”

I looked at her while she did the same. Eye contact!

“Okay, introduction’s over. Let’s dance, everyone”

As the choreographer suggested, we broke off from what we’ve been doing and started the practice.

The dance has little skinship, just holding hands, but we have a drama part too. I believe this collab will be great. Well, at least from my perspective, it will be. Having Jung Eunbi or Eunha as my partner is cool enough.

When the practice ended, I thought of asking her phone number but I was kinda feeling guilty. It felt as if I’m betraying my friend, so I just let her leave. Seokmin and Yuju-ssi had a little chat as well as the others, while I was stuck with my conscience.

December 2016

            Today is the day where we’ll be dancing in front of the crowd, in front of Jungkook. Truth be told, after I told him that she’s my partner, he’s been messaging me a lot. Although they weren’t about Eunha, I knew that the conversation will lead to her. That’s why I kept on ignoring his messages. Haha that was cruel of me.

            “Okay, please go to the stage immediately!”

            The PD-nim asked us to go and start our practice with Gfriend. When we arrived there, we found the girls laughing like beagles to each other. I also found Eunha giggling. I wonder what they were talking about.

            “Jungkook messaged me…”, Seokmin approached me. I looked at him confusedly.

            “You didn’t check his messages?”

            Oh, those. I’d be lying if I say no, because I was somehow purposely avoiding them.

            “I guess”, I chuckled a bit.

            “Oooh, so you like her as well”, Seokmin smirked at me and ran away.

            That guy, really… I like her? Eunha? I – I don’t think so.

            Oh, she smiled and bowed at me.

            “I don’t…”

            “You were saying something?”

            Jeonghan-hyung asked me, guess I’ve been exposing my thoughts a little bit.

            I shook my head and smiled at him, while he stared back with his seemingly disgusted stares.

            After the short briefing, we began rehearsing – adjusting our spaces, blocking and stuff like that. To be honest, Eunha and I felt more comfortable with each other today. Or maybe that’s just me, or she’s just being professional.

            Ahh, why can’t be more honest with myself? My heart feels like bursting at any moment. I’m nervous like crazy right now. I’m feeling this zoo sensation inside me, but when I look at her, she seems so calm. I can never see through her.

            “That makes her interesting”

            “What did you say?”

            “Eh?”

            Crap, I said that out loud. But that would be a nice way to start up a conversation.

            “Interesting… ah, this collaboration stage is interesting”, I made up.

            “Yeah”

            Eh? She thinks the same way.

            “Kim Mingyu-ssi! Focus please!”

            Oh, because I was too astounded with Eunha’s answer, I headed to the opposite corner. But that’s fine, I guess, at least, she thinks the same way.

            When the practice ended, the groups immediately separated to prepare for makeup and costume and the whole set. Not to mention, others group had to rehearse as well.

            Next to us was BTS, and I noticed how piercing Jungkook looked at me. Maybe he felt jealous… ah, why am I feeling weird inside?

There was a distance between us, so I just waved my hand and smiled at him. That wasn’t to provoke him or something, but, I don’t know. Anyway, I hope the stage will be enjoyable.

Hours later, we were all dolled up. I was excited and nervous at the same time. The awarding began.

We were at the backstage with Gfriend, waiting for our turn for the performance. I thought this was a good time to talk to Eunha once again, so I approached her. She wore a sweet smile, which practically melted me.

“Let’s do our best for the performance”, I told her. Certainly, my cheeks feel hot; I just hope I’m not blushing really hard.

“Sure thing”, she responded with a laugh.

“Um, I have a question to ask…”, I sure am not regretting this whatever her response will be. “During the dance… do you want to hold hands?”

“Eh?”

“No, I mean… should we hold hands? You could be uncomfortable – ahh, what am I saying? Ha, sorry, I’m-”

I’m just nervous. Hoo. She looks so confused with what I’ve been saying.

“It’s fine with me”, she smiles and looks at me. Her eyes were as if sparkling like diamonds, or maybe it’s just me and my weird imagination.

The MCs called us to the stage which is why I didn’t have the chance to answer back.

Let’s just do this, Mingyu.

Let’s just hold her hand.

            Okay, the stage has ended and I held her hand, she smiled at me. I was trying to keep a calm exterior, but inside I was bursting. Also, I saw Jungkook from a distance, I’m sorry bro. I think I understand why you like her.

            As we head towards the backstage, I was at Eunha’s back, making sure she doesn’t fall or whatsoever. And maybe, I’ll talk to her when we’re out of the public’s sight.

            Immediately after we entered the exclusive area for artists, I called her name.

            “Eunha!”

            She stopped on her tracks and looked at me. I paved my way towards her, composed myself and cleared my throat. There, She was standing like a doll, tucking in her hair strands while her eyes were fixed on my chaotic state.

            “Thank you for that collaboration, it was a pleasure acting and dancing with you”

            “I felt the same, thank you”

            “So, um, you’re a busy woman, I know, but for the next days and years…”

            I might regret what I’m going to say. I mean, her heart probably belongs to someone else, it could be Jungkook, but there’s no harm in trying. Besides, I’ll present myself as a friend.

            “…Wanna hang out?”