Chapter Two

Impossible to (Not) Love

Changkyun sits in between his brothers on the lavish couch, picking anxiously at the knees of his pants. Hyungwon sets a consoling arm around his shoulders, grasping tightly for a moment before dropping the hold as their father enters the office. 

"They'll be here shortly," is all he says as he goes to stand beside his sons. Changkyun straightens up, as do his brothers. He glances over to the stern man, his hard gaze set on the glass wall before them looking out onto the floor of cubicle-bound workers typing away on spreadsheets and account pages. He isn't even all too sure just what this company does... not that it's a prerequisite, or anything. But, if he's to marry into this family... 

He gulps down around a ball of nerves clogging up his throat, still unable to fully wrap his head around all this. It's been two days since his father had made the announcement, and he isn't anywhere near processing it. He hasn't spoken to his father since that night, this only adding more stress to the situation of meeting his betrothed today. 

His betrothed.  

Suddenly, every worker on the floor stands simultaneously as a door on the far side of the room opens. Changkyun stands, as well, though he can't even hope to see who's just entered. But, he doesn't need to see. He knows exactly who would command such a reaction from the employees. There's only one possible person. 

The boss. 

 

Kihyun's a bit at a loss as to why the family meeting is being held here, of all places. There must be something pretty important about the business his father wants to discuss if it's at the company HQ like this.  

Bright side: the building is close enough to Hoseok's work, so he can go visit the older if he gets finished up here quickly enough. 

His father leads himself and Minhyuk, his older brother, to his office, his employees bowing to them like they're on some sort of red carpet. Minhyuk eats up the attention, putting on a suave smile and nodding his head in a way very similar to their father. Kihyun only shoves on a business smile and walks behind the owner and his successor at a distance, his hands clasped behind his back respectively. 

God, you'd think they were royalty or something... It makes Kihyun beyond grateful he was born second, and doesn't have to give his life over to this corporate monstrosity. 

The boy's confusion only grows at seeing his father has company awaiting their arrival in his office. Wasn't this supposed to be a family meeting? What's with these newbs? He carefully watches Minhyuk out of the corner of his eye as they enter, and can see the well-hidden befuddlement.  

He hadn't been told about this, either. 

Great, now Kihyun's really worried... 

"Im-ssi!" their father greets familiarly, stepping forward to grasp the strange man's hand for a tight shake.  

Im? Kihyun thinks, recognizing the name. Im is the name of their number one competitor, a fast-rising computer company quickly taking over the industry. Just what the hell are these people doing here?? 

"Yoo-ssi," the man responds, smiling tightly as a light chuckle escapes his lips. "How have you been, old friend?" 

"Fine, fine," Kihyun's father replies. "Ready to seal the deal, as I'm sure you are." He returns his gaze to his two sons, his eyes shining in a way similar to Kihyun's, setting his boys' minds at ease. "These are my sons, Minhyuk and Kihyun." The boys bow as one, saying how nice it is to meet the man.  

"The pleasure's all mine, I'm sure," Im says. "And these are mine, Hyunwoo, Hyungwon, Jooheon, and Changkyun."  

Kihyun has half a mind to question if they're all bloodly-related, as they look nothing alike. Hyunwoo is well-built and tan, his bulky arms reminding Kihyun of his dear Hoseok and how much he wants this meeting to be over. Hyungwon, on the other hand, looks like an outright bean pole with plump lips and dark eyes. He is beautiful, though, and could probably make his way in the modeling world if he tried. Jooheon's lean and has dimples that could rival Kihyun's, his eyes so small it's hard to tell if they're open at all. 

And then there's Changkyun. 

He's cute, Kihyun has to admit. A strong nose is set between chubby cheeks, and his lips are pressed together, making them seem thinner than they are. His brown eyes are wide and filled with a panicked light, and sweat begins to form on his temple. It's all Kihyun has to do to keep from smirking, the more he stares at the youngest the more he finds his anxiousness utterly charming. 

"Nice to meet you all," Kihyun says politely, bowing again to the boys when he figures out he's staring. The tips of his ears burn red, but luckily his hair's gotten long enough lately to hide it. 

"N-Nice to meet you, too," Changkyun mutters nervously, and it's all Kihyun has in him not to coo.  

"Good," Kihyun's father comments, drawing the kids' attention back to him. "Now that that's out of the way, I have an announcement to make. Kihyun-ah, Im-ssi and I have decided to combine companies. Between his innovations and my good standing in the industry, it's a deal that would benefit the both of us greatly. In order to make sure this deal won't fall through no matter what, you and Changkyun have been promised to each other." 

Kihyun's silent for a long time, quite unsure how to respond. His smile falters as he tries to process, tries to find any other meaning for the man's words than the obvious. Hoseok's beautiful smile flashes in his mind's eye, and his mouth goes dry. 

"But... I'm..." 

"This is for the good of the company, Kihyun-ah," his father interrupts, the light in his eyes turning cold. Kihyun gulps thickly, knowing that look well. 

"Um, Appa," Minhyuk interjects, giving the man a disarming grin, "perhaps instead I should—?" 

"No," he insists, his voice hard. "Kihyun-ah's the younger, so he'll do this for the company. He doesn't have to run it, but you do. It's a trade-off, if you will. Both of you must give something for the family business, and this is what Kihyun-ah can do. Besides," he adds, shrugging, "Changkyun-ah here is the youngest of his family. It's only right the two youngest be put together in such a way." 

"I can't!" Kihyun suddenly bursts out, shaking his head adamantly. "I'm involved with someone already, I can't just up and leave him for—" He pauses, eyes growing wide at realizing he's just outed himself. He and Hoseok had agreed back when they started going out a few months ago to keep their relationship a secret. Not that they were ashamed, or anything, they had just wanted to keep it out of the press. 

Kihyun's father visibly bristles at his words, and Minhyuk unconsciously takes a step closer to his brother. 

"It's already decided," his father says in a low voice, as if that ends the conversation. "You two will be married after he graduates from high school. That gives you two years to get to know each other, and for us to plan this event. You two will have a mandatory weekly meeting every Friday afternoon where you'll talk for at least an hour. With that said, you'll meet tomorrow afternoon at three o'clock. The family driver will take you to the place." 

Kihyun can hear the man speak, but his mind is very much not processing what he's saying. It's almost as if he's hearing him from somewhere far off, and his mind is made of molasses. He can't think, he can't do... He just... can't.  

He turns on his heel and walks out the office without another word, not hearing as his brother and father call after him. He's vaguely aware of the employees' eyes on him as he makes the most dramatic exit of his life, wheezing and panting as his eyes sting with tears. They're not sad tears, though. They're angry, irate drops of salty water that fall from his eyes. 

He doesn't even realize Minhyuk had followed him out until they're both in the elevator. Kihyun doesn't, can't, say anything as he sinks down to the floor, screaming at the unfairness of it all as he's just lost the one and only future he's ever wanted: a life free from the company. 

Minhyuk remains silent as he watches his brother break down. He presses the hold button on the elevator panel, pausing the compartment in its tracks, and goes to sit down beside the youner. He takes the boy into his arms and pets his hair, shushing him and telling him it'll be okay. 

Though, they both know that's a lie.