All Night

Holiday Night

I love sleep. And sleep loves me. Proof of it comes from the earfuls I got from my mom when I was a kid for sleeping too much instead of helping around the house.

I remember that one time I got into so much trouble for falling asleep when I was supposed to watch over my little sister. I woke up to my mom’s shouting while she was cleaning my sister up who was covered in peanut butter — much to my amusement. Mom didn’t think it was funny though and grounded me for a week. Bad idea, really, because I ended up sleeping more.

I also cannot forget that time I got locked up in the library because I feel asleep while trying to study for an exam. My gut told me it was not a good idea to look for the most secluded part of the place to study but I did it anyway. Again, I got into trouble because my parents were so close to going to the police just to find me. Good thing they saw a friend who told them she last saw me walking in the library.

Another proof of my immense love for sleep is the countless of fights I had with my then girlfriend, Tiffany. Sure we fought about other things, but on my estimate, sleep was the topic of our fights 90% of the time. 

There was a time when — during our honeymoon period — that Tiffany almost broke up with me because two out of our three dates were cancelled because I didn’t wake up on time. In my defense, it was raining both times and, well, bed weather. I explained and after a few more coaxing, Tiffany gave in and eventually forgave me. 

That wasn’t the case though during our second year together. She walked out on me while celebrating our anniversary because I fell asleep while we were watching a movie. She woke me up with a push and gave me an ultimatum. Me or sleep?! It was silly really, because I would’ve chosen her in a heartbeat, but since I was woken up with a start, my mind hadn’t reboot until after she walked out and slammed the door. I tried following her but my gosh was she fast. There was no sight of her at all. Bummed, I went back to my unit and tried calling her phone. She kept declining.

For days I couldn’t reach her, but I finally had a chance when I waited for her outside her office building and basically followed her until she talked to me. That night, though I had to bear her shouting and pushing first, I told her that I chose her. No competition, really. She didn’t know how to react to that, so I went ahead and got down to one knee and asked her if she could also choose me. She pounced on me and said yes hundreds of times while kissing me all over my face.

Yesterday, a year after our wedding, Tiffany cursed yet again at my love for sleep. It took her about half an hour to wake me up and it was only because she shouted and cursed at me. My water broke, you ! Wake up! And that was all I neyeded to hear. I was up and running in no time.

It’s tiring. Having a baby and catering to your wife’s needs. Staying up till late to see if they need anything. But whenever I feel tired, I just look at my wife and daughter and instantly feel my energy renew. I realize I don’t mind staying up all night for them.

Sleeping would have to take a backseat for now.