A change of air

Colour outside the lines
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Aera decided to walk to school that day despite it being a rather long journey. Her mother didn’t think much of it, and immediately zoomed off to school after a prompt “Make sure you arrive on time”. She found herself feeling more and more uncomfortable in her presence knowing that she has been anything but a filial daughter and her mother didn’t even know it. At least not yet.

 

There were a lot of thoughts in her head that she would rather not think about as she took step after step. For example, what was she going to do when her mother found out that she was some kind of wannabe rebel now? But that thought would be interrupted by a few others that would shoot it down- why am I worrying over this so much? What’s the worst thing that could happen?

 

She snapped back into reality when a figure on a familiar looking motorcycle stopped a few steps away from her. Aera cautiously continued walking but kept to her far left, away from the road just in case. The person had lifted his visor and she daringly took a peek at his face, only to let out a loud exhale.

 

“I was so scared for a moment,” she patted her chest lightly. He removed his helmet and handed it out to her wordlessly. It took her a good few seconds for it to register in her brain that he was offering her a ride to school. “I-it’s okay.” She waved both her hands, feeling slightly flustered. “I can walk, Sehun.”

 

He took a glance at his watch. “You’re going to be late.” His voice sounded deeper and rougher than usual, and it made her blush for some reason. He forced the helmet into her hands so she had no choice but to hold it or it’ll fall to the pavement.

 

“But you don’t have a helmet!” She exclaimed as he started the engine. Sehun merely shrugged before gesturing for her to get on. “Sehun, I seriously can’t let you do this,” Aera walked to the front of his motorcycle so that he’ll actually listen to her.

 

He sighed and massaged his temple with his fingers. “Aera, please stop being so stubborn.”

 

“You can get hurt if something were to happen.” She stated the obvious while shaking the helmet in front of him.

 

“I’ll ride extra carefully, okay?” He looked at her reassuringly but Aera only groaned. That was not what she meant! She also can’t think of a good reason why he keeps insisting for her to go with him. It was straight out baffling, honestly. He was probably just being a nice friend, her 7am brain provided. “Get on behind me in five seconds or I’ll carry you on.” She only raised her eyebrow and crossed her arms, his helmet making it a little hard. She didn’t believe that he would carry her.

 

“Three,” he narrowed his eyes at her but Aera remained unfazed. Two seconds later, he rolled his eyes and got down from his bike. “Why do you have to make things hard for me?” Aera let out a squeak when he literally lifted her up bridal style with no hesitation and the only thing she was worried about at that moment was her underwear showing. He seemed completely unaffected by her squirming, his grip on her thigh and waist strong.

 

“Sehun, my skirt!” He ignored her completely and gently placed her on the seat where she immediately straightened her skirt. Huffing, she glared at his back, her cheeks burning bright.


The ride to school was silent. Aera still felt a little pissed off but deep down she knew that he just didn’t want her to get into trouble, and for that, she was thankful. They passed by the school’s front gates and earned a lot of stares. She felt it at the back of her skull even when they’re a good 30 metres away.

 

Sehun watched her yank off the helmet from her head. "There's a dent on your hair." Sehun pointed out. Aera looked at him weirdly, not understanding what he was trying to say so she looked into the side mirror of the motorcycle only to let out a grunt. She passed the helmet back to Sehun and decided to tie her hair into a loose ponytail to hide the funny slight curl the helmet caused.

 

“Thank you, Sehun,” and he knew it wasn’t just for telling her about her hair. He hummed before patting her back and subtly pushing her towards the school.

 

That day was the first time anyone has walked her to class. It was also the first time anyone other than her mother had personally driven her to school.

 

 

 

 

"Hey, Sehun." Baekhyun clapped him on the shoulder. "I heard you came to school with a chic. Who was it?" The five of them minus Aera were staring at him in interest.

 

Sehun shrugged his hand off, continuing to eat the sandwich in his hands. "Why does it matter?"

 

"Because you've never brought anyone to school before, duh." Chanyeol looked at Sehun as if he was the dumbest person alive. "Who did you spend the night with?"

 

"I didn't sleep with anyone last night, damn it," he snapped.

 

"Then why are you so afraid to tell us?" Kai called out from behind Chanyeol.

 

Sehun let out an irritated huff before looking at all of them, but at Baekhyun particularly. "If you guys want to know so badly, it was Aera." The silence that followed was unsettling. Slowly, each of them turned to the said girl who was blushing profusely.

 

"It wasn't planned." She tried to shrug, pretending it wasn't a big deal(it really wasn't a big deal, honestly).

 

Baekhyun was wiggling his eyebrows and made sure he made it obvious to look at her and then at Sehun which earned him a half-hearted glare from Aera. He's always such a tease!

 

"Don't you always come to school with your mom?" Minhee piped up from her side. Aera could only nod, wishing they would talk about something else instead.

 

"Did you get told off by her?" Chanyeol asked, and she can't tell if there was concern in his eyes other than the curiousity shining in them.

 

"No, not yet." She muttered her next sentence and they all had to strain their ears to hear it. "I just didn't feel comfortable being with her."

 

Minhee silently patted her knee and Aera gave her a grateful smile.

 

 

 

 

"Hi, Aera," Junmyeon fell into step with her as they exit the school building. He had a class with her and her mother was fond of him.

 

"Hey," she politely nodded at him.

 

"How are you doing?" She turned to him but he was staring straight ahead.

 

"I'm doing great, I think." Academically, no, she wasn't doing all that great. And she was sure he knew that too.

 

The head prefect finally faced her as he spoke. "I'm worried." And the worry in his eyes was evident.

 

"About what?" She asked kindly.

 

He turned away from her again, and she did the same. In the distance, she could see Baekhyun leaning against the school gate with Chanyeol. Looks like I have to d

Please log in to read the full chapter