Part 1

Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There were very few things that Donghyun appreciated about his hometown of Jinhae. It wasn't large like Seoul and it wasn't a tourist hotspot like Busan or Daegu, but it had this certain charm about it when the holidays had rolled around. There was the Cherry Blossom Festival where the cherry blossoms bloom for ten days before they fall. The festival usually attracted a couple million visitors but other than that, everything seemed quiet in the quaint, little town.

But it was when winter rolled around. When the snow covered the town in a soft blanket, everything looked beautiful. All trees have their leaves scattered on the ground, snowflakes decorating the branches in their place. There was an aura of serenity that seemed to cover all of the stores, adults and students alike enjoying the soft atmosphere. 

Donghyun and Jinsook were among the masses browsing the various stores, walking around aimlessly with the intent of spending their daily 'best friend time' together. Donghyun would be lying if he said that he hadn't harbored a crush on Jinsook before. Maybe it was the way her hair always seemed to frame her soft features just right. Or maybe it was the way that she'd always find a way to put a smile on his face. She would've been the perfect girlfriend if he had been properly interested.

Jinsook used to have a crush on Donghyun, a quite large one. When they were back in their first year, she was always the odd one of her friends. While they were more concerned with a lot of the popular group, Jinsook had only ever seen Donghyun. She had tripped over in the hallway one day, falling to the ground with all of her books. Students continued to walk around her as she struggled to pick up her heavy books and avoid getting trampled. Donghyun was the only person to help her up and proceeded to walk her to class, even volunteering to carry her books. Their friendship had quickly blossomed and they quickly became close, even garnering the 'Cutest Couple' award despite only being friends. A relationship hadn't quite worked out, but they had continued to stay close friends, choosing to live together as they attend university.

They weren't the only students out and about, exploring the town. They had already passed many of their friends, declining their offers to join them, instead choosing to continue walking around and enjoying the holiday spirit everyone seemed to have. It was not often they were given a break at the local university, but everyone seized the time to take a break from stressful exams and their usual busy schedules.

"Look, its Dawon-unnie's bakery," Jinsook tugged at Donghyun's sleeve pointing towards a brightly lit store that was decorated in tinsel. Donghyun's view was quickly obstructed by taller seventh-years that were heading in opposing directions. Jinsook paid them no attention, pushing past them easily while dragging Donghyun with her. She had received glares but quickly returned them with her own icy stare, daring them to say something.

As soon as they flung the door open, they were greeted with classic holiday carols and a warm feeling. The bakery was quite small, but there were enough for five tables to be spread across the room. Donghyun was immediately assaulted by the sweet scents of fresh baking that decorated the entire counter. Three of the tables were already filled, various students from the college sitting together, chatting animatedly.

"Hey, loves," Dawon popped up from behind the counter, greeting her two friends affectionately. She had a steaming tray of muffins in her hand, setting them down in an orderly fashion before turning to her friends. "Would you like to try our newest muffins? Luda made the recipe last night, she thinks they might be her best yet."

Jinsook nodded excitedly while Donghyun's eyes quickly drifted towards the shortest female behind the counter, Luda, who was making sure that all of the desserts were being displayed as beautifully as possible. "Isn't she cute?" Dawon smiled in her girlfriend's direction before quickly plating two muffins for Donghyun and Jinsook.

"Thanks so much, unnie," Jinsook restrained her excitement, thanking Dawon softly. Dawon smiled at them both as they walked towards the empty table near the window. She had always thought they would end up together as they seemed to compliment each other well. Jinsook was now more restrained and thoughtful about her actions while Donghyun smiled a lot more and made an effort to meet new people. It was saddening they their relationship didn't work out.

Her thoughts were quickly broken when Luda passed by, pecking her girlfriend on the cheek before returning to the kitchen. Dawon was left speechless at the counter, holding her cheek with a soft smile on her face.

"Donghyun-ah," Jinsook reached across the table the table to poke his cheek. Donghyun quickly swallowed his food, looking at her, confused. She gestured to a spot on his face where a muffin crumb had decided to cling to his skin. Donghyun wiped his face many times but always seemed to just miss it. Jinsook reached over and brushed the crumb away with her thumb, rolling her eyes good-naturedly and resumed her eating. Donghyun smiled at her gratefully as he quickly finished off his muffin.

"I hope you enjoy them Jibeom-ssi. You too, Joochan-ssi," Dawon smiled before looking over at her friends' table with a concerned look. Donghyun had immediately started choking on the last bite of his muffin, Jinsook patting his back comfortingly. Donghyun tried to will the blush away from his cheeks as he finally garnered enough courage to look at the two figures standing in front of the counter. His cheeks unconsciously grew hot as a feeling pooled in Donghyun's stomach. A feeling that seemed to always erupt when he was around.

Kim Jibeom and Hong Joochan were easily two of the most popular students in their year, albeit for different reasons. Kim Jibeom was well known around the campus for consistently being at the top of his classes and being a member of their award-winning dance team. Hong Joochan was well known for his honey voice and having a solo in their choir, despite only being a third year. It just seemed like a bonus that they were good-looking guys with great personalities.

Despite a number of people that usually crowded around them, they tended to stick close together along with another third year, Jaehyun. (The last rumor Donghyun heard about Jaehyun was that he was dating Jangjun, a sixth year. Donghyun later silently confirmed it when he caught the two kissing when he and Jinsook had gone shopping.) They were also notorious for never having a boyfriend or girlfriend, despite the many admirers they both seemed to have. They never showed any problem, taking it in stride as they carried on their years with open minds.

It didn't help at all that Donghyun had unconsciously developed a crush on Joochan, his eyes always seeming to find the blonde males. There was a lot of things that Donghyun liked about Joochan, a lot of things that made his heart flutter inside his chest. He had fluffy blonde hair that always seemed to fall effortlessly in various styles, something Donghyun was slightly jealous about, currently swept over to one side and framing his delicate features magnificently. His soft dark eyes, with long lashes that girls constantly fawn over, shone brightly. Even his smile, his beautiful smile adorn with softest lips he's ever seen in his life, made butterflies around in Donghyun's stomach.

But the real reason Donghyun fell in love with Joochan had nothing to do with his looks. He remembers back in their first year when no one had spared Joochan a second glance because he had glasses and braces when Joochan seemed like the stereotypical nerd. Donghyun had more or less been the same, not being at the bottom of the food chain but not quite popular either. Donghyun's grades had plummeted quite a bit and because of his lack of social reputation, no one had agreed to tutor him, until Joochan finally accepted.

His first impression of Joochan was good. He was never one to judge other people's appearances and instead focused on their personalities. Joochan was polite and sweet, always offering words of encouragement towards Donghyun. As they spent more and more time together, Donghyun had quickly become attached to the blonde, helping him to open up to more people which eventually led to Joochan's friendship with Jibeom. But Donghyun hates how the more time they spent together, he had eventually been left out.

But Donghyun's feelings had never changed.

When Joochan turned around, sending a smile in his direction, Donghyun's heart went pitter-patter inside his chest. Jibeom sent him a crooked smile as well before they both took a seat on the only empty seats which were luckily on the opposite side of the room. Donghyun tried to will his blush away, slapping his cheeks lightly. Jinsook nudged him from where she was sitting, wiggling her eyebrows playfully. Donghyun pouted while Jinsook , ruffling his hair with a grin.

--

Dawon watched Donghyun and Joochan with an upturned eyebrow, eying both males with a glint of interest in her eyes. Luda quickly appeared by her girlfriend's side, wrapping herself in Dawon's arms. "I wonder how long it'll be before they get together," Luda commented as she looked at her nails, blowing them softly. Dawon's arms tightened around her girlfriend's small figure as she rested her cheek on Luda's head. She watched as Donghyun and Joochan stole glances at each other from across the room, face-palming at their obviously requited love.

"Don't judge them so harshly," Luda nuzzled her face softly into Dawon's neck, planting a small kiss on the bit of skin not covered by her collar. "We both know that we were no better when we were constantly pining over each other."  Dawon shrugged her shoulders, grinning like an idiot as she pecked Luda on the cheek.

"But it's not about us anymore, love. Donghyun helped us with our fairytale, now let's help him with his." Luda smiled at her girlfriend's cute words, tightening her grip around Dawon's waist. Dawon paid little attention to her girlfriend around her waist as she continued to serve customers.

--

Joochan let out a loud laugh, Donghyun's heart jumping in his chest after listening to the melodious sound. Girls who were at another nearby table turned to glare at Joochan, but once they lai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter