two

Thanatos
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, there were two of them.
 
Death ("Don't forget the kid!") was standing in front of a life-sized tarpaulin, with two whole-body pictures of a duo called Infinite, consisting of Nam Woohyun and Kim Sunggyu. He figured they were the ones who sang his favorite song The Eye. (He called it his ceremonial song, one he’d sing every time he would retrieve a soul.) They were currently on a world-tour, but were back to Seoul for a short break three days ago. They’re scheduled to fly to Japan tomorrow morning. Death the Kid took a side step and saw the two celebrities eating inside the restaurant with their manager who was laughing about a mistake Woohyun did on stage while in their Singapore tour.
 
The two were engulfed in flames the color of autumn; various shades of yellow, orange and brown leaves and of a bright blue sky.
 
The manager excused himself and stood up, still unable to stop laughing. A look passed between Woohyun and Sunggyu, their faces turning serious.
 
Death the Kid passed through the glass door, entering the restaurant. He stood next to Woohyun and Sunggyu’s table, looking at them with a blank face. They didn’t sound happy anymore as they talked about something. Death felt like he was invading their privacy.
 
“You can’t release that song,” Sunggyu said, looking away from Woohyun. He swallowed the meat he had been holding with his chopsticks for a minute already, but he looked like he’s on the verge of hurling his guts on the table, or maybe worse, exploding.
 
“Why not?” Woohyun asked. “Nobody’s heard the whole song except you. They wouldn't know what it’s about until it's out.”
 
“Why not? I won’t do the explaining,” Sunggyu said sharply. “You figure it out yourself if you haven’t already.” 
 
The air was suddenly thick with tension.
 
Woohyun sighed. “We’ll be hours through our flight before the whole nation could hear it so we have that much to think.”

“You have that much time to think,” Sunggyu corrected.
 
“Why?” Woohyun asked, turning to Sunggyu with sad eyes. “If you so did not want to ruin your career, why did we even try?”
 
“Our career, Woohyun,” he said to the younger boy sternly.
 
Woohyun looked at Sunggyu, waiting for more explanation, but it didn’t seem like he was going to offer anything sooner. Five seconds turned to ten, fifteen. The silence engulfed them that they both could hear the ticking of their watches. Sunggyu mustered an unwavering look, wanting to stand his ground, but the truth was that he just didn't really know how to reason out with Woohyun anymore. He grew tired of it already.
 
And for Woohyun it was horrifying and heartbreaking. He could hear his heart breaking inside his chest.
 
“Can we at least…” he sighed, not knowing what to say exactly. “Talk about us?”
 
Their manager came out, and while on his way back to their table, stopped by the cashier to collect his order of three slices of chocolate mousse cake. “For celebration, before we fly to Japan later!” he announced as he sat on his chair, placing the tray on the table. But the two weren’t in a festive mood anymore, which he didn’t fail to notice. Still, he took his slice of cake and started eating it. He thought maybe they were just tired.
 
“So, are you boys excited for your Japan tour this week?” he asked, his tone excited. “Can’t believe you guys would be this far by now. To think you two started just a year and a half ago.” He sighed dreamily.
 
Sunggyu only smiled, a mug of tea tightly enclosed in his hands as if it was so cold inside the restaurant and he was freezing.
 
“Hyung,” Woohyun spoke, uneasy.
 
Sunggyu passed the younger boy a sharp look, which fortunately their manager didn’t see as he was busy eating his cake. He loved cakes, Sunggyu knew, but he loved the two of them more that’s why he was afraid of what this whole “rendezvous” might cause them.
 
Sunggyu shook his head at Woohyun furiously, but the latter just regarded him with an uninterested look. At this point Sunggyu didn't know if a hundred look of disapproval and no's and don't do it's would stop Woohyun from ruining everything so he resorted to kicking the boy's shin under the table. If Woohyun was hurt, he did a good job of not showing it. He didn’t even look at Sunggyu. He must be really determined.
 
Woohyun said in a voice as hard as a rock, “I’m going to release a song at midnight.”
 
Sunggyu's shoulders slumped in defeat.
 
Their manager looked up, surprised. “A song? You wrote this?”
 
Woohyun nodded.
 
“Hmm…” their manager considered the news for a moment. “Why don’t I know about this, by the way?”
 
“Hehehe… It was supposed to be a surprise.”
 
“For me?!” Their manager's face lit up, having thought it was for him. Sunggyu almost laughed out loud, but managed to keep his face blank. Woohyun didn't answer anymore. He had to be in good terms with their manager for this whole "coming out" to be successful. “That’s so sweet! Okay, go ahead and surprise me,” he said, and then added abruptly, "and everybody." He chuckled.

Sunggyu's jaw dropped, but he managed to collect himself quickly before their manager could question his weird actions. He was so disappointed. In his manager. In Woohyun. In himself.
 
The door to the restaurant opened, but none of them minded. Until a boy screamed.
 
They all looked up, including Death the Kid, who went taut as he realized the boy was looking at him as their eyes met.
 
Their. Eyes. Freaking. Met.
 
This is impossible, he thought, panic rising in his guts. He can see me?!
 
Death wasn’t sure if this kid was dying or not. He wasn’t engulfed in flames, but his whole body had color unlike other living people. His skin was white, but not as white as his. His hair was the color of the wood with streaks of gold. His shirt was a faded red, his pedal shorts, a faded black. His grey, suede skateboard shoes looked like they were brand new.
 
The boy approached the celebrities' table, looking at Death once more and very quickly, before pinning his attention to the celebrities for good. Death narrowed his eyes at the boy, taunting him. It was obvious that he saw him. 
 
"I can't believe I will see you both here!" He was almost crying. "My step-mom just asked me to buy her some pastries for her Amiga’s. At first I didn’t want to, said I was doing a project when I was playing LoL, to be honest. I am so glad she threatened to strike my with my grandpa’s walking stick. She made me run for my shoes and get out of the house as quick as a fox! Oh what a lucky day!” The girls behind the cashier chuckled. The boy’s voice was so loud it made the sad restaurant become lively.
 
Woohyun laughed. Sunggyu didn’t. It only made everything worse. 
 
"Can I take a picture with you guys?" He asked excitedly, his phone already out of his pocket in a blink.
 
Woohyun stood up, nodding. "Of course. Of course." He pulled Sunggyu up, who didn't seem to be in the mood for a picture taking, but still stood to the boy's left. The boy was in between Woohyun and Sunggyu. He was taller and more muscular, his body bigger than the two. Woohyun took the phone and passed it on to his manager, who seemed a little displeased but still stood up to take their picture.
 
It was impossible to miss the look the boy gave Death the Kid before turning to his phone for the picture taking: his eyes narrowed, his lips puckered. Go away! He thought. He was being protective of his idols.
 
Tension pricked at his skin.
 
The boy stayed for another moment t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter